Colorado Family Struggled With Debt Before Husband's Arrest In Wife And Daughters' Killing

LivingInPeace

I know a coworker who just bought a house, these figures are almost the same. She didn't even have a big downpayment. Just good credit and no other debt. These lending companies will do it.

We are in Maryland. But given what I know of my home state California, this scenario must be common. Having a home worth 4x your annual income, that is.
But how do people survive? When can you buy clothes? Put gas in the car? Eat?

nyeredzi

But how do people survive? When can you buy clothes? Put gas in the car? Eat?
From what I can tell, the mortgage payment will take up half of after tax income. They keep all other expenses low. Rarely get new clothes, lots of second hand stuff, make all their own meals, no big vacations, just modest living, and no debt. That income should leave you with at least $2000 after the mortgage is paid, so you can make it if you live modestly. And this is a family of four!

Theresamonet

I haven't seen the interviews, but from what I heard he's clearly a sociopath. I do wonder if she ever saw anything in him that gave her pause or was he simply a good actor?

I saw a clip of one of her “I love my husband” posts. In it she mentioned how he pursued her, and she kept turning him down. She finally gave in to his persistence, and the rest is history. I know that it’s not uncommon for a woman to end up with a man she previously blew off, but in this case I wondered what red flags or bad vibes did he give off that made her repeatedly rebuff him.

TCatt86

I saw a clip of one of her “I love my husband” posts. In it she mentioned how he pursued her, and she kept turning him down. She finally gave in to his persistence, and the rest is history. I know that it’s not uncommon for a woman to end up with a man she previously blew off, but in this case I wondered what red flags or bad vibes did he give off that made her repeatedly rebuff him.
this may not have been the case but he was likely love bombing her. There's a reason that it freaks women out and that's because a normal rational human isn't doing that

I also read that he convinced her to have baby #3

Leeda.the.Paladin

appears she was in a MLM company called Level-Thrive and there was a fundraiser started for her prior to finding out she had been murdered.
Thrive is a mess.

A lot of the moms in this area are just like this woman. They sell thrive, live beyond their means, post constantly on social media about how great their lives are. But there’s also a lot of that cheating, financial ruin, etc going on. DH and I feel so out of place here. Anyway I think these women are so upset because it hits so close to home.

moneychaser

I know a coworker who just bought a house, these figures are almost the same. She didn't even have a big downpayment. Just good credit and no other debt. These lending companies will do it.

We are in Maryland. But given what I know of my home state California, this scenario must be common. Having a home worth 4x your annual income, that is.

Same. I have a coworker making around 75k this having a 360k townhouse built.

Evolving78

He sounds like a straight up covert narc, or sociopath. Boy he did a number on her.. emotionally, mentally, and physically..

Leeda.the.Paladin

A man is claiming he had a 10-month-long affair with the Colorado dad accused of slaying his pregnant wife and their two toddler daughters.

The anonymous man from Loveland, Colorado, claimed Tuesday that he met Chris Watts, 33, on an app called “MeetMe” and that the pair began a sexual relationship when they saw each other in person for the first time in June 2017.

“It was clear that he was interested in me and attracted to me,” the man said on HLN’s “Crime & Justice” show. But Watts allegedly told him he was “not out and not ready to be out as far as his sexuality.”

“I had asked him if he’s sure he’s not bisexual because obviously, he had two children, but he told me he didn’t know, and at that moment he was attracted to me and me as a man.”

The man said Watts never told him he was married — but that he found out in late January or early February when they were driving around with Watts’ daughters Celeste, 3, and Bella 4.

“Bella made a comment and asked him if she could sleep with him and mommy tonight and that’s when I found out,” he said.

But Watts reportedly assured him that he and his wife, Shanann Watts, 34, weren’t happy at home, and were no longer sleeping together.

SEE ALSO
upload_2018-8-29_13-19-40.gif
Dad accused of killing wife, kids made video about saving relationships
“He told me his wife was verbally and emotionally abusive, that he didn’t love her and that it was clear she didn’t love him.”

He added: “I knew something was wrong at home because obviously if nothing was wrong, he wouldn’t have pursued me.”

Eventually, the man said he broke it off when Watts kept telling him lies. He said he felt “ill” when he found out that Watts was arrested this month in the slayings of his wife and two daughters.

According to court documents, Watts had been having an affair with a co-worker. The anonymous man said that he imagined the co-worker could be either a man or a woman.

Friends of Shanann Watts also claimed she had told them she suspected her husband was having an affair.

The mom was 15 weeks pregnant when she was found dead Aug. 16., along with her two girls.

HLN’s host Ashleigh Banfield said the show sought the man to speak out but that it couldn’t independently confirm his story.

OhTall1

How do you have a $400,000 house and an income of $91,000?
Because that's what the bank approved them to take out.
Before I started looking at homes, I'd already done the math to determine the max I could take out to cover the monthly payment -- mortgage, taxes, insurance, condo fees -- and not have to downgrade my life. I was approved for WAY more than that amount. I looked at the lending company's maximum number and was like

Ain't nobody trying to eat oodles of noodles for a decade! I purchased based on my maximum, not their.

LivingInPeace

Before I started looking at homes, I'd already done the math to determine the max I could take out to cover the monthly payment -- mortgage, taxes, insurance, condo fees -- and not have to downgrade my life. I was approved for WAY more than that amount. I looked at the lending company's maximum number and was like

Ain't nobody trying to eat oodles of noodles for a decade! I purchased based on my maximum, not their.
Which is what you’re supposed to do. You aren’t supposed to buy a house and then have to alternate which family member gets to eat that day.

TCatt86

A man is claiming he had a 10-month-long affair with the Colorado dad accused of slaying his pregnant wife and their two toddler daughters.

The anonymous man from Loveland, Colorado, claimed Tuesday that he met Chris Watts, 33, on an app called “MeetMe” and that the pair began a sexual relationship when they saw each other in person for the first time in June 2017.

“It was clear that he was interested in me and attracted to me,” the man said on HLN’s “Crime & Justice” show. But Watts allegedly told him he was “not out and not ready to be out as far as his sexuality.”

“I had asked him if he’s sure he’s not bisexual because obviously, he had two children, but he told me he didn’t know, and at that moment he was attracted to me and me as a man.”

The man said Watts never told him he was married — but that he found out in late January or early February when they were driving around with Watts’ daughters Celeste, 3, and Bella 4.

“Bella made a comment and asked him if she could sleep with him and mommy tonight and that’s when I found out,” he said.

But Watts reportedly assured him that he and his wife, Shanann Watts, 34, weren’t happy at home, and were no longer sleeping together.

SEE ALSO
View attachment 434537
Dad accused of killing wife, kids made video about saving relationships
“He told me his wife was verbally and emotionally abusive, that he didn’t love her and that it was clear she didn’t love him.”

He added: “I knew something was wrong at home because obviously if nothing was wrong, he wouldn’t have pursued me.”

Eventually, the man said he broke it off when Watts kept telling him lies. He said he felt “ill” when he found out that Watts was arrested this month in the slayings of his wife and two daughters.

According to court documents, Watts had been having an affair with a co-worker. The anonymous man said that he imagined the co-worker could be either a man or a woman.

Friends of Shanann Watts also claimed she had told them she suspected her husband was having an affair.

The mom was 15 weeks pregnant when she was found dead Aug. 16., along with her two girls.

HLN’s host Ashleigh Banfield said the show sought the man to speak out but that it couldn’t independently confirm his story.
Wow. He was bringing the kids around his male lover. I wonder if the wife found out he was having a gay affair and she had to go because of it.

Evolving78

Wow. He was bringing the kids around his male lover. I wonder if the wife found out he was having a gay affair and she had to go because of it.
I think he was getting ready to leave her and her being pregnant (ruining his plans) was the reason. I think that man was being anybody he needed to be to get whatever he wanted (energy) out of people. Just a straight up vampire.

Farida

Which is what you’re supposed to do. You aren’t supposed to buy a house and then have to alternate which family member gets to eat that day.
:lachen:
True story. Here in CA the bank was willing to approve me for a mortgage 48% of my income BEFORE taxes or any other deductions. Not including property taxes, HOA... So by the time I would pay state, federal, retirement, health care premiums I would have some money for ramen.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Chris Watts murder case becomes obsession on Facebook

FREDERICK, Colo. -- The murders of Shanann Watts and her two girls, Celeste and Bella, in Frederick, Colo. continues to make national headlines nearly a month after they were first reported missing.

As the world waits for any new information in the case, as well as Christopher Watts' next court date, people have become obsessed with the life Shanann meticulously documented on Facebook.

READ: Everything we know so far about the Chris Watts case

Dozens of public and private groups are now dedicated to the murders. A public group called Prayers for Shanann, Bella Celeste, and Nico has more than 30,000 members. Another has nearly 14,000 members.

Thousands of strangers are now playing detective, posting theories and speculation on what happened after watching and analyzing the very public life Shanann left behind on Facebook.

Shanann painted a portrait of the perfect family on social media. Homemade videos and photos she posted show what seemed to be a doting father and happily-married couple.

"Eight years later, we have two kids, we live in Colorado and he's the best thing that's ever happened to me," Shanann said in one of her Facebook live videos promoting her business.

Other videos show Chris playing with Celeste and Bella while Shanann can be heard from behind the camera laughing and playing along.

But that picture-perfect image was shattered when Frederick police along with Weld County prosecutors arrested Chris Watts for killing his own family and unborn child and then allegedly hiding their bodies at a Weld County oil and gas site where he worked.

People from around the world are now combing through Shanann's Facebook videos for answers or any clue to help them understand how a family who seemed so happy could end this tragically.

Chris Watts' is due back in court on Nov. 19, where prosecutors and his defense will likely have to share more details about what they allege happened behind closed doors.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I know this is me doing this too, but it’s kind of crazy/weird/sad/interesting that people are focusing on this murder and trying to figure it out, etc. I mean, I avidly watched the Keepers and The Staircase on Netflix, but the fact that a) she basically chronicled her whole life and b) it’s still such a fresh murder that involves small children makes it feel different.

Kindheart

I was not expecting this twist. My guess is the wife found out and planned to out him and leave. Now I wonder if the rumored co-worker affair was with a man too.

What kind of demented person could actually kill their own children????
It has been confirmed the coworker is a woman. I dont believenthe man lover story ,he didn’t have Chris number how are you going to be lovers and never have a personal number

naturalgyrl5199

same here. We had A1 credit and they threw a little extra money at us with our middle of the road income at the time. Smartly, we took out what we wanted to spend monthly and its been great. So now that we make more money, the mortgage is cheaper against our monthly income. I wouldn't be surprised if they have one of those mortgages that balloon. They are not given out all the time, but builders and investors get those easier than non-investors. But with these people...who knows how people get into that much house with so little money. They MAY have gotten help from a relative. And HGTV is to blame for that. People get help with a larger downpayment or a gift of a 10-20K cash infusion....and rather than increase the downpayment to lower the mortgage, I have seen people on HGTV put it towards MORE HOUSE than their income would have allowed them to afford. Which means more mortgage. And I can't see 50% of my monthly income going towards my mortgage. For us when we initially purchased it was 17% of our income. Right now, especially since we pay a little more towards the principal...our mortgage is roughly 11.5% of our income...including the extra we put in towards the principal after the PMI drop. Its a sellers market right now. But I'm staying put. For a WHILE.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

Chris Watts sentenced to life for 'inhumane' killings of two daughters and pregnant wife

• [paste:font size="5"]

Bus driver, student recall escape from fire

Officials: Missing teacher killed in Mexico

Flake: Protecting Mueller has to be priority

'Hero' security guard shot, killed by police

Trump knocks admiral who led bin Laden raid

Florida's manual recount completed

Trump: A good time for government shutdown

Trump tours fire-ravaged California towns

Gillum concedes Florida race for governor

Chris Watts gets life in prison for killing pregnant wife, kids
Family auctions off child bride on Faceboo
Federal Air Marshals accused of gun mishaps

Chicago PD: 4 dead from Mercy Hospital shooting

WaPo: Ivanka used personal email for government business

Families react to Chris Watts killing family

WH backs down, fully restores Acosta's pass

Bloomberg makes massive donation for education

Bus driver, student recall escape from fire

Officials: Missing teacher killed in Mexico

Flake: Protecting Mueller has to be priority

'Hero' security guard shot, killed by police

Trump knocks admiral who led bin Laden raid

Florida's

Chris Watts gets life in prison for killing pregnant wife, kids
pleaded guilty this month to first-degree murder and other charges in the killings of his wife, Shanann, 34, and their daughters, Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3, before crudely disposing of them at a secluded site where he worked. With approval of his wife's family, prosecutors dropped the possibility of the death penalty.

In court, Shanann Watts' mother, Sandy Rzucek, explained, "I didn't want death for you because that's not my right. Your life is between you and God, and I pray he has mercy for you."

Watts' hands were shackled at his waist and he wore an orange jumpsuit. He rarely looked up during the proceeding -- not even when his mother turned around to face him and tearfully said, "We have loved you from the beginning and we still love you now. ... We forgive you, son."
Two families devastated
Watts' parents, who had previously defended their son and questioned his plea deal during an interview with CNN affiliate KMGH, recanted those remarks and told the court in a prepared statement that the family would not ask for leniency.

"This should never have happened. This is not condonable. This is something that we will never get over," a family representative said, reading a statement as the parents looked on.

Frank Rzucek Sr., Shanann Watts' father, questioned how Chris Watts could have killed people he was charged with protecting before disposing of them like bags of rubbish.

"My kids are my life," Watts said, standing on the front porch of their home in Frederick, about 30 miles north of Denver. "Those smiles light up my life."

Watts told the station his wife came home from the airport about 2 a.m., and he left for work about 5:15 a.m. He said the two had an emotional but civil conversation before he left, but he didn't elaborate.

Chris Watts claimed he had called and texted his wife about three times that morning with no reply, he told KMGH. He said he realized something was wrong when Shanann Watts' friend arrived at the couple's home around noon.

"She just got back from Arizona, and I figured she was just busy, but when her friend showed up, that's when it just registered -- like all right, this isn't right," Watts said.

Story didn't add up
Three days later, the body of Shanann Watts,15 weeks pregnant, was found in a shallow grave. The bodies of Bella and Celeste were found in commercial oil tanks at a company where Watts had worked.

Chris Watts' mugshot
Rourke said Watts became a suspect "very, very early on."
"Many of the things that he was saying just weren't quite adding up," Rourke said Monday.

One key piece of evidence was sheets from the bed in the Watts' master bedroom that were found at the crime scene, prosecutors said.

After authorities found the bodies, Chris Watts changed his story, telling police he had strangled Shanann Watts in a fit of rage after seeing his wife choking Celeste.

On November 6, Watts pleaded guilty to nine charges, including three counts of first-degree murder and unlawful termination of a pregnancy.

Shanann Watts had gender reveal party planned
Other woman tells her side of story
According to an unsealed Weld County arrest affidavit, investigators say they discovered Watts was "actively involved" in an affair with a co-worker.

It's not clear if that was Nichol Kessinger, 30, who told The Denver Post she met him while working for the environmental department of a petroleum contractor.
"We had just met," Kessinger told the newspaper. "I barely knew him."

Man pleads guilty to killing wife, kids 02:33

He wasn't wearing a wedding ring when they were introduced, and she thought he was attractive, soft-spoken and a good listener, she said. When they first met outside of work in late June, he told her he was in the final stages of a divorce. She never met any of his relatives or friends, Kessinger told The Post.

Watts sent her a text August 13 to say his family had disappeared, and she was confused about why the media was at his house.

"When I read the news, I found out he was still married and his wife was 15 weeks pregnant," Kessinger told the newspaper.

She peppered him with questions via phone calls and text, she said, and he changed his story about the divorce, showed little emotion about his family's disappearance, and tried to change the subject.

"It got to a point that he was telling me so many lies that I eventually told him that I did not want to speak to him again until his family was found," she told the paper, explaining that she called police on August 15 to report Watts' lies.
Rourke said she "was absolutely instrumental" in the investigation.