Coloring Disaster! Any Tips?

Hairlosophy

So a few days ago, I was bitten with the color bug. I've wanted to dye my hair since I big chopped but was too chicken to do so, but I got the courage and decided to do it. I picked out the color from Garnier Fructis in dark golden brown, got the conditioner and shampoo I needed to maintain it and was ready to go.

I was so excited while waiting for the color to develop and couldn't wait to rinse it out and see. After I rinsed it out, I was horrified. Very light and brassy roots and very dark ends! It looked terrible and I was sooo disappointed. (I was to embarassed to take pics...sorry :( ... ) I risked my hair health to get this color and it came out disasterous. Needless to say, the next day I was going back to black. The next morning I picked up a semi-permanent dye in black (Clairol Natural Instincts -Midnight). I didn't want to damage my hair any further. The black came out great and I deep conditioned with a protein conditioner, then a moisturizing conditioner. My hair is ok for now, but still a little rough and dry.

I'm still a little disappointed, but hey you live and you learn, not everyone is perfect. I'm going to take care of my hair the best way I can and cut it little by little as it grows out.

Pics of the dye and the results are attached.

Any one have any tips for me getting my hair back on track and prevent breakage and dryness? I haven't experienced that yet and I want to keep it that way. Any info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :grin:

Attachments

• B001FZKR6G.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS450_.jpg
    B001FZKR6G.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS450_.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 381519003134.jpg
    381519003134.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 56
  • black.jpg
    black.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 165

Sheena

You already started doing the right thing. Continue to deep condition with a moisturizing dc regularly for the next month or so, then you can do another protein dc.

The roots were lighter because your body heat caused the dye in that area to process faster. The next time you want to use a light color, try applying the dye about 2 inches from your scalp to the ends then apply to the roots and leave on for the final 10 - 15 minutes. Even if there is a slight difference in the color, you can always fix it on your next touch up. Alternatively, you can go to a professional.

Hairlosophy

You already started doing the right thing. Continue to deep condition with a moisturizing dc regularly for the next month or so, then you can do another protein dc.

The roots were lighter because your body heat caused the dye in that area to process faster. The next time you want to use a light color, try applying the dye about 2 inches from your scalp to the ends then apply to the roots and leave on for the final 10 - 15 minutes. Even if there is a slight difference in the color, you can always fix it on your next touch up. Alternatively, you can go to a professional.

Thank you! I got so scared when I saw my hair. Now I just want to focus on keeping it as healthy as possible.

alive

I did not know any of that. thanks for sharing.

OP, sorry i don't have anything else to add, but i hope others chime in :yep:

BraunSugar

You've been given some good advice so far. I have been a color-treated natural since 3 months after my BC. I'm on month 10 now and have not had issues with breakage or dryness. I DC a 3-4x a month & I baggy. I normally DC w/Lustrasilk Mango & Shea Butter Cholesterol. I add an egg some of it it in a bowl when I want to do a protein treatment, or just add an egg to a cheapie conditioner like Suave or VO5.

Hairlosophy

You've been given some good advice so far. I have been a color-treated natural since 3 months after my BC. I'm on month 10 now and have not had issues with breakage or dryness. I DC a 3-4x a month & I baggy. I normally DC w/Lustrasilk Mango & Shea Butter Cholesterol. I add an egg some of it it in a bowl when I want to do a protein treatment, or just add an egg to a cheapie conditioner like Suave or VO5.

Thanks BraunSugar. I'm going to use the egg protein treatment when I deep condition again next week.

ladysaraii

I have no advice, but I wish you luck.

I think I have been spending too much time in OT and RF b/c I swear I read a different meaning to "coloring disaster"

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Nxt time you decide to go lighter get yourself some neutral protein filler. Follow the directions on the jar(put it in a spray bottle to apply).

After the dye processes do an acv rinse (1/8th cup ACV to 2 cups water) dump that same mixture over your head about 5x's. Dont rinse it. Apply your protein conditioner over it and then DC if you need to .

For now:

Do the acv rinse I mentioned up post and stay up on your protein conditioners (not treatments) only do treatments according to the bottle). Even though its dark it is stils a dye job that needs extra attention.

Hairlosophy

Nxt time you decide to go lighter get yourself some neutral protein filler. Follow the directions on the jar(put it in a spray bottle to apply).

After the dye processes do an acv rinse (1/8th cup ACV to 2 cups water) dump that same mixture over your head about 5x's. Dont rinse it. Apply your protein conditioner over it and then DC if you need to .

For now:

Do the acv rinse I mentioned up post and stay up on your protein conditioners (not treatments) only do treatments according to the bottle). Even though its dark it is stils a dye job that needs extra attention.

Thanks! I defintely will up my protein conditioners and start the acv rinses.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

natura87

You know you've been on LHCF too long when you see the word coloring and you have to check and make sure you are in the "right" part of the forum....