Coloring Natural Hair...Help please!

nappykat2000

I'm thinking about coloring my natural hair a slightly lighter golden brown color.
Will the color alter my texture? Will I have excessively dry hair? I'm worried. Please post any tips or experiences. Oh...I am using Creme of Nature color.

Country gal

I think it all depends on the stylist and product. I went to DC stylist who used Redken products. I had great results. I take good care of myself.

Brownshugaz

I'm getting the itch to color as well, but I was gonna do it the ghetto way and just mix some lemon juice into my conditioner or use it as a rinse. yea i'm obviously trying to go bald

natstar

I dyed my hair this time last year w/ textures and tones a mix between golden and medium brown. I loved the color, but I am staying away from color as it did dry out my hair a bit. I could feel the difference. I have made up for it by staying on top of moisturizing. I think if you are steadfast with your conditioning and moisturizing you should be fine though if coloring is what you want to do.

Cheleigh

I want color too, but I'm also concerned about texture changes and dryness. I want a semi-perm color or highlights to start. But maybe I should enjoy my natural color for a while (maybe I'll be ready at the end of fall).

MJ

I'm thinking of using henna. I've used it twice for conditioning and to prevent splits from forming (I used ACV to mix, so it didn't change my natural color at all).

Now I am researching to see how I can manipulate it to change my hair color as well...

balisi

Yes, color can alter your hair's natural texture. To be sure, a strand test should be done in various areas of your hair where the textures naturally differ.

Country gal

natstar said:
I dyed my hair this time last year w/ textures and tones a mix between golden and medium brown. I loved the color, but I am staying away from color as it did dry out my hair a bit. I could feel the difference. I have made up for it by staying on top of moisturizing. I think if you are steadfast with your conditioning and moisturizing you should be fine though if coloring is what you want to do.

Very true. I keep my hair moisturize to avoid dryness.

Soleado

nappykat2000 said:
I'm thinking about coloring my natural hair a slightly lighter golden brown color.
Will the color alter my texture? Will I have excessively dry hair? I'm worried. Please post any tips or experiences. Oh...I am using Creme of Nature color.

I have been coloring all along since I have been natural. I cannot say that it has altered my texture, but it has made it dryer. If you are going to color, you better be ready to do regular deep conditioning. For my first coloring procedure I believe the person used Wella, and my hair did not like that as much. I have been using Aveda coloring now for the past 5 years. I like it! I find that it is not as harsh as other brands for me. Plus I find that the color is a lot more true and stays rich.

I don't know anything about Creme of Nature but I would frequent other hair boards to find out the experience people have had with this brand.

I colored my hair a few months ago with Clairol Natural Instincts and it looked nice for a few weeks but it dried out my hair (despite moisturizing and deep conditioning weekly). In fact tonight I'm going to do a mini big chop to cut off the colored part of my hair. I tried to nurse the hair back to health but I can really feel the difference between the new growth (no color) and the colored part (which feel like straw).

If I ever color again, I will try henna...

ThursdayGirl

NubianPrincess said:
I colored my hair a few months ago with Clairol Natural Instincts and it looked nice for a few weeks but it dried out my hair (despite moisturizing and deep conditioning weekly). In fact tonight I'm going to do a mini big chop to cut off the colored part of my hair. I tried to nurse the hair back to health but I can really feel the difference between the new growth (no color) and the colored part (which feel like straw).

If I ever color again, I will try henna...

This is also my experience. I had auburn highlights put in-also revlon. I didn't have much damage ... and no texture change- HOWEVER... I did get dryness that was a little annoying. The color is finally growing out.

ChocoKitty

I dyed my hair a honey blonde some years ago with Dark & Lovely. It made my hair pretty porous. It even made hair appear a bit thicker. You will definitely have to stay on top conditioning well with a complete dye job. However--highlights are less damaging IMO.

If I ever decided to get a complete dye job again I'd have a clear cellophane rinse applied afterwards. This would protect the color from fading and seal the cuticle.