Combing Dry Hair= Splits?

tmrskltn

Hi everyone, i don't post a lot, but iam frustrated:wallbash:, I have reached armpit length and i now have all kinds of splits, Im wondering if it could be from me combing my hair while dry? I dont think my hair likes to be combed dry. Does this make since? I think I heard this before and was wondering if this could be the culprit? I don't want to cut a lot, but if I have 2 I know its better than holding on 2 it and losing it through breakage. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, ...thanx in advance ladies:yep:!!! My hair is medium, very dense and 3b, & cish. I am also natural.

Last edited:

clever

Yes,combing dry for me is a no-no.I only comb through my hair with a conair shower comb when my hair is really wet with conditioner.I do comb it when its straight though.

Queen_Earth

I used to think my hair liked to be combed dry and that it was easier...I was very wrong! I will try to post a pic in a minute but I tried something different and lost 1/4 the amount of hair I usually lose; also I think that is where a lot of my split hair and breakage came from-

On the left is how much hair I lost yesterday during my wash, detangle, and drying session
right is 1/3 of how much I lost 6 weeks ago after my detangle, wash, detangle, and drying. It is 1/3 because that is only after my detangle, wash and detangle. I then went to the salon and lost two more big balls like that after she detangled it again and blow dried me out

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

If you must comb dry do it while you mist your hair with water or a spritz. Dryness don't give as easily so when the hair snaps you get splits. It also makes your hair into a big bush. That is why I can seem to make an afro or do a decent blowdry job.

hillytmj

Yes, combing through dry hair can lead to splits. I think the key is to moisturize/seal before and after dry combing. That seems to have made all the difference for me.