Conditioner Question

~NanCeBoTwin~

I purchased a bottle of LeKair Cholesterol plus Aloe, but I realize now that it contains protein.

I've never had a protein treatment and I will admit I'm ignorant to the benifits of protein and why/when someone would need to use it......:ohwell:

I do know that too much protein will damage the hair.

My questions are:

1. Should I really be as afraid as I am about the conditioner i bought?

2. Why would I need to do a conditioning treatment with protein?

Any help would be great, thanks! :newbie:

BTW....I'm currently 12 weeks into a 18-24 week stretch

Denise11

I use a protein conditioner every 2-4 weeks to keep my moisture/protein balance. Protein is wonderful it keeps the hair strong. There are many types of protein. Some are hard, some are mild, some actually makes the hair softer. Do a search on protein, it'll take the fear away.

Too much moisture can also make the hair stretchy, mush, and break. So you need some protein.

vkb247

1. Should I really be as afraid as I am about the conditioner i bought? No. Just because it contains protein doesn't mean it is a protein treatment.

2. Why would I need to do a conditioning treatment with protein? When your hair is over moisturised or if you have tried moisturizing it over and over again and it won't retain the moisture. Protein makes hair stronger and helps the hair retain moisture.

If you already have a good protein/moisture balance (if you feel like you don't need strength and don't have any problems with moisture than you probably are balanced) than using a moisturizer or conditioner that has some protein will help your hair stay balanced.

gissellr78

I purchased a bottle of LeKair Cholesterol plus Aloe, but I realize now that it contains protein.

I've never had a protein treatment and I will admit I'm ignorant to the benifits of protein and why/when someone would need to use it......:ohwell:

I do know that too much protein will damage the hair.

My questions are:

Any help would be great, thanks! :newbie:

BTW....I'm currently 12 weeks into a 18-24 week stretch

Dont be afraid of protein. protein is great for breakage and ur hair needs it.

Mook's hair

No, this is a moisturizing conditioner that contains protein.
The ones to be concerned about are the heavy duty protein treatments like aPhogee

Protein is valuable to the strength of hair and the hair structure.
It is very good especially for relaxed hair.

If your hair doesn't seem to like the product then abandon it.

*Muffin*

Where is the protein listed on the ingredients list and what kind of protein is it. Depending on the placement of the protein and what kind of protein it is it could be a mild protein (which could be used regularly) or an actual protein conditioner (which should only be used if your hair needs it). Some DC's I've tried that are very moisurizing also contain a bit of protein, but not very much of it. I noticed a lot of regular conditioners have hydrolyzed wheat protein (or something like that in it). It doesn't seem to pose too much of a problem with protein/moisture balance in conditioners.

P.S. Don't be afraid of your conditioner. It's one of those conditioners that tries to kill two birds with one stone. It's giving you moisture but adding a bit of protein just in case your hair needs it.

Last edited: