Conditioner Washes and Coconut Oil

Falon

I am trying to stretch my relaxer to 10 weeks so that I can get it done in time for my b-day. I need some information on doing conditioner washes and using coconut oil on my new growth to manage until next touch up.

Questions:

I'm embarassed to admit this but I don't really know what a Conditioner wash is.

If I am correct it means washing the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo?

I bought Elasta QP Intense fortifying conditiner: Will this do the job? Or is something better for Conditioner washes?

How do you use coconut oil specifically to soften new growth? I searched out some old threads but found conflicting info.

I need to use it to soften my roots...How do I do that? Thanks in advance ladies.

Wolftrap

Somone should come along to help you with your question about conditioner because I have not tried the conditoner you use. I have used Vo5 and Garnier. Both worked well for me I just like the smell of the strawberries and cream Vo5. It smells heavenly. I am currently trying to stretch to 9 weeks and I have not used coconut oil but I believe they just put it on their roots. I purchases some sta sof fro and that has worked WONDERS for my new growth. I can comb it and it is very soft and it is also not greasy. HTH.

Wolftrap

I can't find the exact ingredients and since I don't have my bottle with me I can't tell you. But here is a littel write up about it. This is what our parents used to used back in the day to "keep their fro soft". LOL

Sta-Sof-Fro Hair & Scalp Spray is an exclusive blend of softeners plus protein designed especially for dry and damaged hair. Special moisturizers soften and condition hard to manage hair and add long lasting sheen without messy build up. This specially formulated spray is often recommended by hairstylists for maintenance of curls, waves, naturals and braids.

Queenie

I use coconut oil all over my hair and it is a great hair softener and detangler. I have been transitioning for a year now. If you spray it on wet hair it helps you get through the tangles
/roots easier. I have not tried co-washes yet.

Neroli

I'm not familiar with the elasta QP, but find that conditioners that are not too thick work best (i.e., my beloved humectress is just too heavy for condition washes so I use cheaper, thiner conditioners, like suave or vo5 conditioners).

I mix the conditioner with coconut milk, honey and natural oils (1/3 conditioner, 1/3 coconut milk, 1/4 cup honey, 2 teaspoons natural oils like castor, jojoba, coconut, etc.) -- these measurements may vary slightly from wash to wash, but its a good approximation. I apply this mixture and cover with plastic cap from 10-30 minutes, rinse thorough with cool water followed by ACV rinse. Then rollerset using headdres & giovanni direct under hooded dryer.

I have tried using coconut oil on my roots but found it to be too oily for me and I prefer to use it as part of the natural oils added to the conditioner, rather than as leavein on dry hair. I follow this regimen every 3 - 4 days and found that I do not need to use anything at all on my roots in between wash because stays soft from wash to wash. If I go more than 4 or 5 days without washing, that's when I run into problems.

I found that condition washing every few days helps me stretch my relaxers up to 10 weeks or more. I have what I perceive to be 4b hair.

sengschick

The Bun Master
Hi Falon! Yes, you're correct. You rinse your hair w/conditioner rather than shampoo. I let water do most of the cleansing before I put more conditioner in my hair (I pre-condition before I rinse).

As far as the coconut oil... I think you mean coconut milk. It soothes and some people claim it even straightens their hair a bit. You can add coconut milk to any conditioner and (probably) get great results. I always have. It's one that I swear by b/c you get, slip, slip, slip. I've never added coconut oil to conditioner, b/c the milk is so much better for conditioning IMHO.

SVT

I do conditioner washes everyday.

I use any moisturizing conditioner but about 90% of the time I use Suave Tropical Coconut. You're right about using it like a shampoo. I slather Suave onto my scalp and hair, massage really well then rinse. I always leave a little conditioner in though. Every once in a while I'll use shampoo or do an Apple Cider Vinegar treatment to get rid of buildup.

Some people like to do a CWC (condition-wash-condition) as a another way to avoid the drying effects of shampoo.

Falon

Thanks guys! I am going to try the conditioner wash tonight and roll my hair. I will keep everyone posted with the results tomorrow.

B

ballet_bun

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
CWC (condition-wash-condition) as a another way to avoid the drying effects of shampoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works nicely. I have also found that pre-treating the scalp and then applying conditioner to dry hair works well. After it has been in the hair for 20min or so, rinse it out in the shower, and then start with your CO wash, as you normally would.

<font color="pink"> Ballet Bun ... </font>

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
As far as the coconut oil... I think you mean coconut milk. It soothes and some people claim it even straightens their hair a bit. You can add coconut milk to any conditioner and (probably) get great results. I always have. It's one that I swear by b/c you get, slip, slip, slip. I've never added coconut oil to conditioner, b/c the milk is so much better for conditioning IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">Hi, senschick! I love what the coconut milk does for my hair after using it as a leave-in with conditioner, oils and such. My hair is smoother and softer than just using coconut oil by itself. My hair is relaxed with some curl in it (3a/b type). And after puting it in a ponytail overnight, I combed my hair and it feels straight. You're the ISH, girlfriend! Thanx for your suggestion on using coconut milk. It's going to be my hair care staple from now on. </font>

godzooki

I use coconut oil to help soften my newly washed (cond. or shampoo) newgrowth. I just rub some in my hands and then rub it in my hair as the last part of my regime before scarfing. But, for those times when it's not wash/rinse day, I will use profectiv roothealth along with a light spritz of dist. water for added moisture. Tye it down with a silk/satin scarf overnight and in the morning it's soft, as butter, has a nice shine and a comb can easily glide thru. Every now and then I might add a dab or curl activator gel after the roothealth. Works wonders.

Just editing to say I've yet to try actual coconut milk but I have some canned. I might try it this way since I have it. Do you do anything special to it or just open it up, add it to a cond. (or use it by itself?) and let it sit on your head? How long do you let it sit before rinsing out?

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
BabyCurls said:
<font color="purple">Hi, senschick! I love what the coconut milk does for my hair after using it as a leave-in with conditioner, oils and such. My hair is smoother and softer than just using coconut oil by itself. My hair is relaxed with some curl in it (3a/b type). And after puting it in a ponytail overnight, I combed my hair and it feels straight. You're the ISH, girlfriend! Thanx for your suggestion on using coconut milk. It's going to be my hair care staple from now on. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, thanks.
I'm happy you're happy w/it. The thing I love about it the most is that it ALWAYS works well. You know how somethings seem great the first time, then faulter? Never have to worry w/the coconut milk!

Neroli

Sengschick &amp; Babycurls: you use coconut milk as a leave-in??? Hello, I haven't tried that yet. As yall know, I am now DEVOTED to using CM in my conditioners. Can you each tell me how you use as leave in? Do you mix with other stuff or just use straight? If you you mix, what and how much do you use? TIA.

sengschick

The Bun Master
I'm curious too actually, b/c I've never used it as leave-in. But I'm going to add several drops of the Latin brand (Thai is too thick) to my mix of leave-ins and oils the next time I wash.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
sengschick, I breathlessly await your review . . .

[/ QUOTE ]
You got it!
I have about 3 product reviews I should be ready to post by the end of next week.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
Sengschick &amp; Babycurls: you use coconut milk as a leave-in??? Hello, I haven't tried that yet. As yall know, I am now DEVOTED to using CM in my conditioners. Can you each tell me how you use as leave in? Do you mix with other stuff or just use straight? If you you mix, what and how much do you use? TIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">For Neroli and Senschick:
Here's what I did for my leave-in.

1/4 c coconut milk
1/4 c conditioner of your choice (I use Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner)
2 TBS EVOO, Jojoba oil or Castor oil
1/4 c Infusium 23 or Salerm 21 leave-in treatment
1 TBS Honey (Since I didn't have honey, I use natural cane sugar syrup as a substitute)
1/3 c distilled water

Mix all ingredients except water in a microwave safe bowl. Nuke for 30 seconds (microwave wattages may vary). Pour the warm mixture in an empty spray bottle. Then pour in the distilled water. Screw the sprayer nozzle onto the bottle. And shake until mixed thoroughly. If the mixture is a little thick, add a little more distilled water until it's at the right consistency. Spray it on towel dried hair after your shampoo and conditioner or conditioner wash. Your hair will smell like the tropical islands. Enjoy.

BTW, I haven't tried the coconut milk straight from the can. I like to mix other products with the milk that'll give me best results.

</font>

sengschick

The Bun Master
Really...
This sounds lovely
I could put my Lacio Lacio in too!
I may get a chronic case of "hand-in-hair" disease though... I'll take the risk!

Thanks a bunch BabyCurls!!!

TBird

Ladies, thanks for the great tips. I was so excited to get my braids and now after a week I can't wait to take them out because I want to try all this great stuff. I might have to stay away from the board awhile or I might end up taking these babies out ;-)

Falon

Thanks for the receipe. I haven't done a Con wash because I did my edges last night (got that from another post) Now that my edges are in order I feel better about stretching. I am going to do the con wash for a few weeks and see how I feel at week 10. Who knows? maybe I will stretch longer if things are looking good.

Hairicome

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple">For Neroli and Senschick:
Here's what I did for my leave-in.

1/4 c coconut milk
1/4 c conditioner of your choice (I use Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner)
2 TBS EVOO, Jojoba oil or Castor oil
1/4 c Infusium 23 or Salerm 21 leave-in treatment
1 TBS Honey (Since I didn't have honey, I use natural cane sugar syrup as a substitute)
1/3 c distilled water

Mix all ingredients except water in a microwave safe bowl. Nuke for 30 seconds (microwave wattages may vary). Pour the warm mixture in an empty spray bottle. Then pour in the distilled water. Screw the sprayer nozzle onto the bottle. And shake until mixed thoroughly. If the mixture is a little thick, add a little more distilled water until it's at the right consistency. Spray it on towel dried hair after your shampoo and conditioner or conditioner wash. Your hair will smell like the tropical islands. Enjoy.

BTW, I haven't tried the coconut milk straight from the can. I like to mix other products with the milk that'll give me best results.

</font>

I like your recipe I think I'll try it