Conditioner Washes Harmful?

Redpoetess1

My post is not from experience, but just a thought. Some people conditioner wash 3-4 times a week or practically everyday. Now I see the goodness in doing this because this keeps your hair moisturized, but what about afterwards? Now this question goes for the women with relaxed hair or those who press their hair often: What can be done to achieve the straight look again without using excessive heat? Just thinking ahead somewhat.... wouldn't that be kind of damaging if you conditioner washed and flat ironed, roller set and/or blow-dryed your hair daily or every time you washed it? My next question is what are some other methods of styling hair (other than airdrying) to accomodate frequent conditioner washing?

adrienne0914

i think that most of the people who conditioner wash frequently wear styles that require little or no heat. to me, it's worse to do this if you plan to flat iron daily, than it is to wash once every week or two and flat iron. there's no point in providing all that moisture only to damage your hair with alot of heat...

Gaea

I'm thinking that most people who condition wash thier hair every day don't do any heat styling (everday).

A regular wet set could be done to get the straight look if you are relaxed and in some cases, texturized.

There are alos those trusty twist outs, braid outs and banu knot sets.

myco

I agree. On the days I do a CO wash, I've already planned that my hair will be airdrying in a bun because I usually do it in the morning before work, so I wouldn't have time for all that other stuff anyway. I think CO washing and protective/non-heat styling go hand-in hand for the most part.

Neroli

I do CO's every 3-4 days and style my hair same as when I 'poo, rollerset and hood dry. I use the "cool" setting on my hood dryer and my 4b relaxed hair always come out straight and bouncy each time. I ocassionaly will dry on "warm" when I'm in hurry, but that's maybe once a month, if that. IMO, rollersetting and hood drying not as damaging as blowdrying because the heat from hood dryer is "indirectly" circulated all over hair (that's why take a little longer) whereas blowing reguires "direct" heat blowing on hair AT THE SAME TIME as the tension and pulling of wet/damp hair -- this combination (direct heat AND the constant manipulation of fragile wet/damp hair) is what makes blow drying so harmful (can you hear snap, crackle and pop!?) Even if heat used for hood drying, still is TONS better than blow drying, IMO.

I haven't used a blow dryer in over 3 years and I don't own a flat iron nor a curling iron -- my hair has never been this long nor looked this good . . .

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I never thought about co-washes being harmful...

I just started doing co-washes last week. I do them 3-4 times a week (the days I exercise). That is true what adrienne said...Im doing the bun challenge so Im just putting my hair up in a protective, no-heat style. Once I achieve the length I want with the bun challenge, I will start wearing my hair down more and probably wouldnt co-wash as much either.

alliyah4eva203

i agree. i think that most people that do daily conditioner washes wear wash and go styles that do not require any heat.

Prettytoes

You can always do the ponytail method if you want your hair straight...
I usually do the bun and some olive oil after my conditioner wash.

Redpoetess1

Thanx ladies for the input. I will surely get into the bun challenge when take these braids out and get a relaxer. Any more comments?>

kammie

I used to do this, CO wash or shampoo wash every other day or so, blow dry, then use a curling iron (which I used every day). Although my hair was healthier than before I started washing frequently, it never grew past the top of my shoulders. On top of that, I relaxed every 3-4 weeks.

I feel I have to wash frequently; after 3 days, I start to shed and no amount of product will fix it--it just gets more brittle. So now I CO every day and use shampoo twice a week. Elimiating heat has produced the best results.

nmfsc

I agree with Neroli and follow a routine quite similar to her's. I haven't used a blow dryer since I don't know when and haven't used a curling iron in over 5years. My rollersets are not time consuming and I condition wash 3-4 times a week based upon my workout routine. This is the longest and healthiest my hair has been (one length) ever. My hair type is medium thick and I am relaxed.