Conditioners for Color Treated Hair

frostydoll

K so I'm a newbie and I've been doing lots of research. I love this site so much helpful advice.

Anyway, I've never had color treated hair but I just recently got highlights at the crown area of my hair to see if I liked them. I LOVE them! Getting highlights stopped me from cutting my hair out of boredom. Anyway, I'm planning on getting a head full of highlights the first week of April but I need to know how to care for them.

Right now my regimen is pretty simple. I'm natural 3c/4a. I do primarily conditioner washes 2 or 3 times a week (using Pantene Hydrating Curls or V05) and depending on how many products I've been using I wash my hair w/ Carol's Daughter shampoo once a week or once every two weeks. I try to deep condition once a week but that doesn't always happen. I'm a wash n' go type of girl since my hair doesn't really look cute in twists (I have fine hair). I use Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade and I've just recently started experimenting with a sample of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and Elasta QP Mango Butter. Oh and I just started using Boundless Tresses this past week.

I don't want to end up having tons of breakage because of the color so I'm wondering if any other naturals (or anyone) w/ color can give me advice as to what products I might want to use on color treated hair.

I really want to have BSL (straightened) hair or close by my 24th birthday in September. So I know I need to be really careful since I'll be using a chemical product in my hair.

Any guidance ladies????

Last edited:

bajanplums1

keracare has a line for color treated hair as does elucence. I have never had colored hair, so I can't say more. But I love both lines.

hothair

I'm a natural with blonde-ish hair which has never broken from just colour. You need to up your protein treatments I do a hard Aphogee treatment every six weeks using the Moisture balance after for an hour with a shower cap. And use Redken Anti-Snap leave in mixed with Humectress when my hair is out (not in braids) every 2-3 days. I may do a 2 min Aphogee treatment if I start finding little broken hairs but that's about it. HTH
Don't forget ALWAYS follow any protein treatment with a moisturising treatment

balisi

I'm sure your colorist/stylist will give you recommendations for at-home care. ;) The most important things are the protein/moisture balance and protecting your haircolor from UV rays.

frostydoll

balisi said:
I'm sure your colorist/stylist will give you recommendations for at-home care. ;) The most important things are the protein/moisture balance and protecting your haircolor from UV rays.

:lol: I'm sure my stylist will as well. Thanks!

bLackButtaFly

I'm natural, and I am always coloring my hair, sometimes even by myself(don't tell my stylist) I have had some breakage from coloring. I haven't colored for almost 6 months though, (I'm saving it for my summer, and fall). I think it depends on what you're trying to prevent. If you're trying to stop breakage then you just need a lot of moisture. I would use any moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, I like deva curl products. Just use what works on your hair. If you're trying to stop the color from fading you can use a color safe shampoo or conditioner, if you're looking for a bargain try loreal color vive, I actually like the shampoo, it's pretty good. Keracare for color is also a great line, and I think mizani has one too, but I haven't used it. Color fading is really more of a red hair problem, so if you're lightening I would not worry as much about the color safe hair products game. If you also want to up the color, also a going red tip, and don't want to change your current product I would suggest the john frieda hair color glaze, it doesn't replace your shampoo or conditioner, but adds a kick of color when you continue to use it( that sounds like a commercial).
Protein treatments are a must because you're messing with the balence of your hair, so I do the aphogee intensive keratin reconstructor, once every two weeks. It is less harsh on my hair than the hard treatment, (that hard treatment was alot for my hair:confused:). And using a good moisturizer is so important. I like miss jessie's stuff, but there are lots of other options, but after I color I get much more religious about applying moisture in my hair everyday, whatever works for you, just more especially if you're lightening because it just strips your hair to the bone. I wish I had more color pictures on my fotki, but spring is in the air, so I'm definitely about to lighten up myself, so I'll update. and I definitely want to see how your color turns out.:D

Why do I sound like a commercial/ serious product junkie

frostydoll

bLackButtaFly said:
I'm natural, and I am always coloring my hair, sometimes even by myself(don't tell my stylist) I have had some breakage from coloring. I haven't colored for almost 6 months though, (I'm saving it for my summer, and fall). I think it depends on what you're trying to prevent. If you're trying to stop breakage then you just need a lot of moisture. I would use any moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, I like deva curl products. Just use what works on your hair. If you're trying to stop the color from fading you can use a color safe shampoo or conditioner, if you're looking for a bargain try loreal color vive, I actually like the shampoo, it's pretty good. Keracare for color is also a great line, and I think mizani has one too, but I haven't used it. Color fading is really more of a red hair problem, so if you're lightening I would not worry as much about the color safe hair products game. If you also want to up the color, also a going red tip, and don't want to change your current product I would suggest the john frieda hair color glaze, it doesn't replace your shampoo or conditioner, but adds a kick of color when you continue to use it( that sounds like a commercial).
Protein treatments are a must because you're messing with the balence of your hair, so I do the aphogee intensive keratin reconstructor, once every two weeks. It is less harsh on my hair than the hard treatment, (that hard treatment was alot for my hair:confused:). And using a good moisturizer is so important. I like miss jessie's stuff, but there are lots of other options, but after I color I get much more religious about applying moisture in my hair everyday, whatever works for you, just more especially if you're lightening because it just strips your hair to the bone. I wish I had more color pictures on my fotki, but spring is in the air, so I'm definitely about to lighten up myself, so I'll update. and I definitely want to see how your color turns out.:D

Why do I sound like a commercial/ serious product junkie

Wow thanks for all the info that's a lot lol. I'm not getting it bleached. I got the first highlights at the crown and they are a caramel color. I'll definitely have to save this so i can write it all down.