Conditioning before neutralizing

ElizaBlue

Anyone doing a home relaxer, applying a conditioner after rinsing the relaxer out but before using the neutralizer shampoo? If so, what is your method and what are the results.

Paris Belle

Hey there Elizablue....There is a thread about this somewhere. It can be found by doing a search. HTH.. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ElizaBlue

Thanks, I thought I remembered seeing it but so many boards so little time. I'll do a search now that I know it is on our board.

pebbles

Hi ElizaBlue,

The Affirm relaxer system works like this. After they wash out the relaxer, they apply a protein reconstructor to the hair, and then they neutralize it with shampoo. I don't know what the benefits are to doing it this way, but I would love to know if there's a difference between doing a protein treatment before neutralizing, as a opposed to doing it afterwards. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Honi

There is no board.
I've done this and read it in Essence magazine. After I thoroughly washed out the relaxer I applied some Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and let it stay on there for 3 minutes. I then rinsed and neutralized. I read that it's supposed to strengthen the processed part of your hair. The results were fine. I didn't have not one strand of hair come out when I roller set my hair. It's about a weeks since and I still have very little strands in my comb. /images/graemlins/cool.gif <shrug> I dunno can't hurt can it?

free2bme

The conditioner starts the neutralizing process. Your typical relaxer has an alkaline ph of 12 and up, your hair is naturally neutral at a ph of 5.5-6. The conditioners are acidic with a ph of about 3.5-4.5. Once the conditioner comes in contact with the hair, it begins the lower the ph and bring it back to it normal neutral ph of about 5.5-6., hence the term neutralize

free2bme

One more thing, some claim that the conditioners bring down the ph faster than neutralizing shampoos with less manipulation when the hair is at it most fragile.