Continuing the discussion on pressed hair that looks relaxed

If you all remember, I posted a thread asking if natural hair could be pressed so straight that it looked relaxed. i found this pic of Bey taken yesterday and this is how I always think that pressed hair will look:

See how though her hair is pressed, the roots still look kinda nappy--or at least not totally straight, not bone straight.
And here is QL:

Hair is bouncy and bone straight. My question is how much product and what of do you guys who get your hair bone straight use with pressing? This might have been answered in the other thread, but I can't find it anymore! :(

sweetascocoa

well, i use maxiglide to get my hair striaght like that......with the steam burst!!!

the night before, i washed and put my hair in braids. i applied kenra straigtening serum to each section before braiding

the next day, i took out the braids one by one. unbraid one section, divide into smaller sections, spray with fantasia IC serum and passed the maxiglide through once while pressing the steam button

my hair also felt softer. personally, i think it depends on the products you use because i had used the maxiglide before and used biosilk silk therapy the night before to put into braid and redken heat glide in each section. i also tried using NTM and john frieda frizz ease serum in each section and i got dry, not so smooth hair

jwhitley6

Have you looked at my hair? My presses get super straight from root to tip and without grease. When I wash, all my texture is back with no burned staight pieces. I love my hair.

sweetascocoa

and also, after pressing, i use avede anti-humectant pomade to keep it from shrinkin back. to get out the press, i have to shampoo my hair 3 times!!! before it goes back to its natural state. also, umm the pic is too big :look:

jwhitley6

by the way...I think the stylist may have left the roots a little kinky to give thickness to the ponytail. Also, sometimes flatironing doesn't get to the roots well. Pressing combs straighten roots best.

pet

I agree with Jwhitley. I think in order to get your hair that straight, a pressing comb should be used. It's the only way to get to the root. I never liked the idea of flat ironing because I always believed that the press wouldn't stay as long. A flat iron is good if you wash your hair weekly and you want a quick press. I think if you can find someone that can handle a hot comb best, that is the best way to get a look as straight as that.

brownqt31

I agree. I think it depends on whoever is handling the comb. I usually get my hair pressed once every 4-5 weeks and my hair dresser is usually able to get my edges super straight.

ChocoKitty

I get "relaxer" straightness with my ceramic flat irons. My hair also lasts longer when I don't use any products for straightening or etc. But I do apply a tiny bit of Aveda Humectant to my ends before rolling and/or combing for moisture.

Last edited:

MizAvalon

Ok, I guess I'll be the freaky weirdo of the thread and admit that I can't pay the hair any attention because I keep staring at her bosom!:eek: :lol:

inthepink

I can get my roots silky straight with a flatiron. It's all about products for me in order to make it last. But if you take your time and use a ceramic flat iron, you can get straight roots. Sometimes everyone just has to figure out what works for them. It took me a year and a half to figure out how to flatiron my own hair to get it to last.

ClassicChic

ChocoKitty said:
I get "relaxer" straightness with my ceramic flat irons. My hair also lasts longer when I don't use any products for straightening or etc. But I do apply a tiny bit of Aveda Humectant to my ends before rolling and/or combing for moisture.

What type of flat iron do you use?

Good luck with the LaSalle Marathon.

ChocoKitty

Cherokee said:
Whew the prices of these flat irons makes me want to learn to use Marcel irons but I am too scared.

There is a Sephora inside of the Watertower. I think I will buy it there along with my HHB. Hopefully I will like it. I plan to purchase within the next couple of weeks.

I hear you! But I figured since I don't visit a salon I could afford it. Cool-I hope you really like it. :)

Je Ne Sais Quoi

When I was younger and didn't have a perm my beautician would get my hair bone straight just as If I had a relaxer. They used to use this product called "bone straight". It was some type of spray on stuff..I'm sure it's not made anymore.