Contradicting Holy Spirit

cheetarah1980

I wanted to get your ladies' opinions on something:

I sincerely believe that the Holy Spirit guides God's people. It leads us into understanding and right action. Without the Holy Spirit many of us would be in some pretty big messes.

But I have been wondering something lately. If God is ONE, consistent in thought and action, how can he give each of his children a different Holy Spirit? I ask because many believers say, "The Holy Spirit told me X," or, "The Holy Spirit revealed Y to me." However, another believer will turn around and say the Holy Spirit told/revealed something completely contradictory or opposite to them. I find this most evident when scripture is being studied. God is NOT the author of confusion nor does he contradict himself. So how can the Holy Spirit give people two completely different revelations, especially if they contradict.

We are often told to study scripture prayerfully and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us into all understanding. But why would the same Holy Spirit guide people in so many different directions? Different applications is one thing, but totally different meanings? Do you think we mistake the Holy Spirit for our own gut reaction/wants/needs/desires? Do you think leaning on the Holy Spirit keeps us from going further in understanding our faith?

Just thought it would be interesting to examine this with other believers.

Last edited:

kally

Very good question. You know what when I get that feeling I always just thought it was God talking to me. I believe in the Holy Spirit, but never been taught to much about it and how it works.

intellect_sensual

I don't believe that the Holy Spirit would give 2 contradicting understanding of The Word, or anything concerning God. I believe that many times, people "claim" the Holy Spirit told them something, when it was nothing but there own thoughts. Not everyone knows how to disern (sp?) The voice of the Holy Spirit.

kweenameena

I don't believe that the Holy Spirit would give 2 contradicting understanding of The Word, or anything concerning God. I believe that many times, people "claim" the Holy Spirit told them something, when it was nothing but there own thoughts. Not everyone knows how to disern (sp?) The voice of the Holy Spirit.
I agree with this post. Girl lots of people claim that God has told them to do something when it could've very well be satan.

Mocha5

My thoughts: There is one Holy Spirit working in several imperfect vessels. God does not contradict Himself because he does not lie.

I think believers often mistake their will for God's will because we are walking in the flesh as oppose to walking in the Spirit. Galatians 5:25 says If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives. But it is a daily battle because we are sinful by nature. This is why praying, studying His word, fasting, and fellowshipping is so important.

In answer to your last question, the Holy Sprit can't keep us from going further in our faith because the Holy Spirit reveals to us who God is. Read 1 Corithians, Chapter 2.

klb120475

My thoughts: There is one Holy Spirit working in several imperfect vessels. God does not contradict Himself because he does not lie.

I think believers often mistake their will for God's will because we are walking in the flesh as oppose to walking in the Spirit. Galatians 5:25 says If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives. But it is a daily battle because we are sinful by nature. This is why praying, studying His word, fasting, and fellowshipping is so important.

In answer to your last question, the Holy Sprit can't keep us from going further in our faith because the Holy Spirit reveals to us who God is. Read 1 Corithians, Chapter 2.

Great post! ITA!:yep:

Nice & Wavy

ITA with this post. And to add to this, Jesus said that "my sheep know my voice...." We can know the voice of God, by His Holy Spirit. We are not always listening because of we do walk in the flesh as Mocha has stated, but we ARE able to hear if we allow ourselves the opportunity to do so by putting ourself in a position to listen.

The Holy Spirit speaks to me and I know His voice because He only speaks the Will of God. When its something in the flesh, I know it because it goes against what God has said in His Word, which is His Will. The more time you spend with the Father in His Word, the more you will know His Will for your life, and then you will be able to discern His voice.

cheetarah1980

Sorry, my question was unclear. The Holy Spirit would never and could never keep us from going further with our faith. What I meant was our reliance on the Holy Spirit. Do we assume that understanding will just come to us through the Holy Spirit? Do we tend to use the Holy Spirit as a crutch, instead of digging deeper in study to gain understanding. Almost an attitude of, "the Holy Spirit's got me covered," so we don't have to do more of the work to gain understanding.

PaperClip

Good topic! And great responses.

We have three voices, if you will, that we have to be very discerning about:

1) the voice of the Lord
2) the voice of the enemy/the devil
3) our own voice

John 4 talks about believers being sheep and knowing the Shepherd's voice. Verses 4-5: "4And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers."

Verse 27: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

We believers get ourselves in trouble when we begin to compare what the Holy Spirit said/revealed to one person and we think we should get the same direction/revelation for our own lives. For one, the Lord has given us our own specific, unique assignments and purposes to fulfill here on earth.

Even if the assignments are similar, they are not the same, so what one person needs to know from the Holy Spirit may not work for another person per se. Also, because we are individuals, and we have free will, we have the liberty to seek the Lord to find out what the Lord is saying, to get that deeper revelation. The more time you spend with the Lord in prayer and consecration, etc., yes, your level of illumination and how shall I say, sensitivity to the Holy Spirit should deepen as well.

With that said, like it has been said here already, the Holy Spirit is not going to contradict with what the LOGOS word says. Yes, the Holy Spirit can bring a RHEMA word to a particular situation, but it ultimately has to align with the Word of God.

Now, for some people, they SINCERELY BELIEVE that the Holy Spirit told them this and that, and led them this and that way. That's why we have to pray for discernment to know the voice of the Lord. The enemy's major tool is DECEPTION. It is so subtle. I'm thinking of the scripture in Matthew 24:24: “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.”

Pray for discernment and greater sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and get the Word of God upon your heart so that you can CHECK what you sense the Holy Spirit is saying with the Word of God.

Last edited:

Mocha5

Sorry, my question was unclear. The Holy Spirit would never and could never keep us from going further with our faith. What I meant was our reliance on the Holy Spirit. Do we assume that understanding will just come to us through the Holy Spirit? Do we tend to use the Holy Spirit as a crutch, instead of digging deeper in study to gain understanding. Almost an attitude of, "the Holy Spirit's got me covered," so we don't have to do more of the work to gain understanding.

I LOVE that! He truly does has us covered. The only way we can get understanding is through the Holy Sprit. The only way that we can live a Christian life and a life that gives glory to God is through the Holy Spirit. This is why Jesus left Him with us after He ascended. He knew we couldn't do the work of God on our on accord. He knew we would need a "crutch."

We can do nothing apart from the Spirit. So we have to feed our spirit man with prayer, the word, etc. so that it is well nourished and overpowers the flesh. We then can commune with the Holy Spirit because spirit knows spirit and be led by Him. Hope this helps and makes sense.

beaux cheveux

The Holy Spirit is the Third being in the Trinity which consist of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. You will find in Genesis that the Spirit was there from the beginning,
2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. Genesis 1:2

Peter writes that the Scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit, he was talking about the prophecies in the Old Testament.
20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1:20-21,

Then the Holy Spirit fell on the discipals at Penecost( Acts 2:1-4) and gave them the power to speak about Jesus to the peoples. The same Spirit led them to write the gospels and various letters to the churches.

The Holy Spirit isn't a new thing that came at the New Testament, He is God. It is important God doesn't spend different spirits to people, but the same Spirit.
The Spirit will never led you astray from the Scriptures. If the Spirit is telling you something that does not agree with the Word it is not the spirit, it could be your own selfish desires or the deceiver.
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 14:26
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. John 16:13
Moreover,
For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted..
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.
2 Cor 11:4, Gal 1:8-9, 2 Cor 11:13-15

chicacanella

I wanted to get your ladies' opinions on something:

I sincerely believe that the Holy Spirit guides God's people. It leads us into understanding and right action. Without the Holy Spirit many of us would be in some pretty big messes.

But I have been wondering something lately. If God is ONE, consistent in thought and action, how can he give each of his children a different Holy Spirit? I ask because many believers say, "The Holy Spirit told me X," or, "The Holy Spirit revealed Y to me." However, another believer will turn around and say the Holy Spirit told/revealed something completely contradictory or opposite to them. I find this most evident when scripture is being studied. God is NOT the author of confusion nor does he contradict himself. So how can the Holy Spirit give people two completely different revelations, especially if they contradict.

We are often told to study scripture prayerfully and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us into all understanding. But why would the same Holy Spirit guide people in so many different directions? Different applications is one thing, but totally different meanings? Do you think we mistake the Holy Spirit for our own gut reaction/wants/needs/desires? Do you think leaning on the Holy Spirit keeps us from going further in understanding our faith?

Just thought it would be interesting to examine this with other believers.

It means, that either God didn't talk to either one of them or the Holy spirit did talk to one of them and not the otehr. The bible says to test the spirits becasue false prophets have gone out into the world.

When the holy spirit has spoken to me, I have known for sure but of course I always compare with scripture.:yep:

cocoberry10

I agree with the bolded. However, as my walk with God grows, God truly shows me that sometimes He is giving us free will to make decisions for ourselves, and either way we go, He is there with us.

For example, God could bring two wonderful men into your life (assume here you are a single woman) and you marry one of them. Were you wrong to marry one and not the other? No, He allows you to make a free will decision. Or, God could bless you with two job offers, or two college/grad school acceptances. What I know is that no matter what decisions I make (even a wrong one), God is always there. God is everywhere. He's omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. Although humans make wrong decisions and mistakes, basically, when God is there, every crooked path will be set straight.

The above has truly made my life easier, b/c I realize that I'm human (for a while, I thought I was supposed to be perfect ALL THE TIME). What I also know is that I will suffer the natural consequences (good/bad) of my decisions, but that God is always there and nothing is over, until I take my last breath. I hope this helped!:yep:

PaperClip

I agree with the bolded. However, as my walk with God grows, God truly shows me that sometimes He is giving us free will to make decisions for ourselves, and either way we go, He is there with us.

For example, God could bring two wonderful men into your life (assume here you are a single woman) and you marry one of them. Were you wrong to marry one and not the other? No, He allows you to make a free will decision. Or, God could bless you with two job offers, or two college/grad school acceptances. What I know is that no matter what decisions I make (even a wrong one), God is always there. God is everywhere. He's omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent. Although humans make wrong decisions and mistakes, basically, when God is there, every crooked path will be set straight.

The above has truly made my life easier, b/c I realize that I'm human (for a while, I thought I was supposed to be perfect ALL THE TIME). What I also know is that I will suffer the natural consequences (good/bad) of my decisions, but that God is always there and nothing is over, until I take my last breath. I hope this helped!:yep:

Excellent point! And if I can take it further, Romans 8:28 says "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

So the Lord can take what could have worked for bad and turn it around for good...someway, somehow....

Evolving78

I agree and I guess that is why you would need conformation to make sure tht it isn't you or satan. I believe that it has to be in line with what the Word is saying and not to look so deep into it trying to make if fit into what you want it to say or be.