Conversation About Current Natural Hair Trends

Sheabutterboy

I wanted to get people's thoughts. This post is not to shame or bash anyone. When I started growing my hair I did everything under the sun but length retention practices to manage my hair. Water only washing, refused to protective style, etc. I was trying to grow kinky hair like I had straight hair. I didn't grow up with any incline about African hair care culture.

2 and a half years into my journey, my hair hadn't grown past my chin, I went to a stylist to ask for advice and he said everything was fine. Anyway, I finally discovered videos on length retention practices, a year and a half later I am at armpit length.

Now I find that most people go online to youtube etc to find out about how to care for their hair because that culture and history have been lost/is being rediscovered. However, I have found that a lot of videos currently overemphasize DIY this for massive hair growth, DIY that for crazy hair growth, while the YouTuber uses the same photo in every video to lure people to click. Then you check their channel one year later and they are onto something else or there's no follow up. Product brands seem to do the same thing, growth shampoo, growth deep conditioner.

Diy this and DIY that is not bad at all, I am a DIY person, however, I am aware that it's more about how I handle my hair than what product I use that leads to retaining growth

There is space for personal responsibility, people want a quick fix, they don't like their hair, they are resistant to African/descended hair culture, however, sometimes they just do not know. I noticed that a lot of Facebook groups, the posts consists of what product can I use to grow my hair, my hair is breaking what do I use and then people comment use coconut oil, use this, as opposed to a holistic length retention approach, that checks the routine of the person.

How can we shift the focus of the conversation to length retention and put the dramatic treatments to the background? How can we help others skip the years of running around, jumping from one bandwagon to the next. (Again bandwagons are not bad if you know how to care for your hair and want to spice things up)

Perhaps product companies can change their language from growth to length retention, YouTubers can stop with the fake ass pictures, and perhaps in the DIY videos tell people that this won't grow your hair it will help with length retention, and to leave a sticky note to length retention videos.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Not sure what the remedy is:

I discovered rice water from a blog or Yao YouTube video about 2 years ago. Recently it has exploded all over YouTube and everyone magically has a drastic “click bait” before/after picture using rice water. It’s very annoying, a lot of YT don’t do their research... they want the views.

Now many companies offer rice water hair products. It’s too much. When Pantene released their Beautiful Lengths collection. Just about every black YouTuber swore up and down by this line... fast forward to everyone’s updated hair routine... no one mentions these products anymore.

people just have to use their common sense when analyzing YouTubers and their DIY tutorials. I feel like YT & IG glamorizes a certain “hair” look and ppl flock to YT to achieve these looks that are not hair realistic. Buying a 4c curly unit still won’t help someone grow their hair without proper hair and scalp care.

lindseyerinc

Not sure what the remedy is:

I discovered rice water from a blog or Yao YouTube video about 2 years ago. Recently it has exploded all over YouTube and everyone magically has a drastic “click bait” before/after picture using rice water. It’s very annoying, a lot of YT don’t do their research... they want the views.

Now many companies offer rice water hair products. It’s too much. When Pantene released their Beautiful Lengths collection. Just about every black YouTuber swore up and down by this line... fast forward to everyone’s updated hair routine... no one mentions these products anymore.

people just have to use their common sense when analyzing YouTubers and their DIY tutorials. I feel like YT & IG glamorizes a certain “hair” look and ppl flock to YT to achieve these looks that are not hair realistic. Buying a 4c curly unit still won’t help someone grow their hair without proper hair and scalp care.
Do you still use rice water. I'm going to make a batch today. I saw a method with peel and boiling and fermenting.

snoop

People don't want to do the work. They want a quick fix. This is part of the reasons why you have so many quick fix videos.

DIY definitely has its place in natural hair care in the same way that commercial hair products do. However, once you tell people that it could take years to reach X length, they check out and look for something that will speed that process up. I often get questions about hair care that start like this: what products can I use to grow my hair. I do emphasize technique because I'm a DIYer and have no recommendations to make. Most people are appreciative of the info, but there are that few that are not about that life.

Unfortunately, technique doesn't sell product and so it makes it hard for companies or influencers to make a certain kind of money if that's what they're doing.

As for water only washing, there is a thread here on the method. Some of us were and still do use this method.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Could you share your method please?

I bought premix bag or rice from a salon owner (on Etsy).... I place 2 tbsp in a squeeze bottle of 8 oz water. I let it sit for 48-60 hrs. After I wash my hair, I use the rice water as a final rinse. I pour it into my hair and let it sit for 15 mins and rinse with cool water.

Since she raised her priced & unavailable products due to covid - I don’t use as much. Once I’m out...guess I’ll make my own rice mix.