Cool blowdrying better than airdrying??

msa

I do the cool setting with my blowdryer to about 75% dry to stretch my hair out (shrinkage is really something!). Then I put it on large rollers or twist it and let it airdry the remainder of the way.

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do...except I want to dry my hair 100% on cool. Then I can go on to styling. I feel like it will help me retain length without too much hassle.

yodie

I'd like to blowdry my hair on cool also. Now I just need to find a blowdryer with a cool setting and a comb attachment.

Chicagodiva

That's pretty much what I'm planning to do...except I want to dry my hair 100% on cool. Then I can go on to styling. I feel like it will help me retain length without too much hassle.
I mostly avoid my ends to try to retain length & prevent split ends, that's why I don't do 100% dry. Even though it is cool air, it is still blowing forced air over my ends....

Lita

Quick Update:

Well i Cool blowdried my hair today - instead of air-drying it & guess what?..........NO poofyness!:grin:
So looks like i'll continue Cool blowdrying, rather than airdrying.
I still applied some IC Heat protector & my hair came out nice & shiny & smooth.

Think I'll try this method Sunday or Monday..I need a change up/winter is on its way.
Happy Hair Growing!

Neith

I sometimes sit under the dryer on cool to make my hair dry faster :yep: I have done that since my rollerset and straight hair days.

I was thinking about doing a cool blowout so I can have a big, moisturized, fluffy fro.

The cool setting can be very beneficial :yep:

Ok so I was perusing through the what LHCF methods didn't work for you thread, and a LARGE number of ladies kept saying how horrible airdrying was. Now I found this intriguing because I've been a bunner for life (I always rocked a bun, long b4 LHCF just didn't moisturize properly:nono:), and I've always just washed, conditioned, airdryed or put product in damp and then made my bun. So anyway, my ends always look a little bent and can sometimes be crunchy due to this, but I paid it no mind. But I decided, since so many people were a fan, to try this blowdrying even though I wasn't going to flatiron and wear my hair out afterwards. I just washed and DCed, the blowdryed on cool till my hair was about 85% dry, then moiturized, sealed, bunned and tied my hair up. I really liked how smooth my cuticle felt when I was applying the moisturizer, and it felt like every strand was excepting it better than when I airdry. Anyway, woke up next morning and BOY was I shocked! My bun was sooo smooth and shiny! Looked like I had flatironed (that's the only time I get really smooth shiny buns)...and it just looked really nice:grin::grin: So i'm thinking this may be a new way I want to dry my hair frequently. Who used to airdry but now cool blowdries? I figure since it's on cool it cant really be doing damage, plus the cool setting may be smoothing down the cuticle allowing it to better except moisture and oil. Who had a bad experience with doing this frequently or who thinks this is a good idea?? I really would LOVE to hear opinions...

thanks for this tip because now i know why my hair felt great when i dried it in front of the fan.

Natural Glow

Can someone recommend a blowdryer that:

has a cool shot
fits a regular comb attachment from the BSS
is affordable
I have this one from sallys
Andis Colorwaves Tourmaline
It has a cool shot but no cool setting just high and low
It looks like it'll fit a regular comb attachment but i don't know cause I've just used the one that comes with it
It costs 27.99 with a Sally's Card. 29.99 without

I just get some scotch tape and tape the button down. :blush::lol:

Why was I thinking about doing this:blush::rofl:

Jalen's Mom

For those who have a FHI blowdryer, can you buy a comb attachment for it. I'd like to get a new blowdryer because the one I have leaves my hair too dry on the warm setting, and it doesn't have a cool setting...just a cool shot.

TIA!

changingSeasons

I recently bought the conair ionic tourmaline ceramic. It was about $30 from Walmart. It is ionic and has a cool setting. It also comes with a comb attachment, concentrator and diffuser. I like it so far!

ctosha

I am natural and i wanted an alternative to air drying when blow drying on cool are u using the pinkskates tension method and a seamless comb? or just detangling when damp then using the tension method with using your hand to pull the hair in a downwards direction to add tension to the section of hair (if that makes sense)

Last edited:

fyb87

I'm natural and I don't blowdry. I haven't blow dried in years. When wearing my hair curly it comes out way better if I air dry. If I blow dry or even diffuse it gets frizzy. I'm surprised to hear a majority of people said they have bad results when air drying. There shouldn't be a difference in relaxed or natural hair. But, I wonder if that is the reason. Will go back to read the entire thread!

melodies815

I'm natural and I don't blowdry. I haven't blow dried in years. When wearing my hair curly it comes out way better if I air dry. If I blow dry or even diffuse it gets frizzy. I'm surprised to hear a majority of people said they have bad results when air drying. There shouldn't be a difference in relaxed or natural hair. But, I wonder if that is the reason. Will go back to read the entire thread!

I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe there is a difference in how air drying affects relaxed and natural heads.

When I was relaxed, air drying was NO GOOD for me...though healthier because of the lack of heat applied during BDing, my ends suffered. I had to at least sit under the dryer.

Now, airdrying for me as natural is easy. I twist and let it dry overnight, and it's all good.

I just started to think of ways to stretch my hair because it's beginning to get longer and I am itching to wear styles that look prettier to me.

I'm thinking I can wash and let it dry most of the way (50-75%), cool BD, and then roller set.

I am going to do this today and see how it goes.

cj

locabouthair

Can someone recommend a blowdryer that:

has a cool shot
fits a regular comb attachment from the BSS
is affordable

I have an andis 1875 watt I believe. It only comes with a diffuse attachment.

I blowdried on cool for until it got like 70% dry. My hair came out much smoother.

I usually airdry everyweek because I'm super lazy but I've been noticing for a while that my hair feels sooooo coarse and rough when I air dry and then it starts to break.

I hate the idea of using heat every week. I'll see how this goes:ohwell:

910danielle1987

makeupgirl

Personally I hate airdrying because my relaxed hair takes forever to dry even when I braid it , plait it and do everything to dry it. Sometimes I do dry it on cool air with my blow dryer and it does it's purpose to get my hair dry, especially if I do my hair before I go to bed or if I don't feel like going out the house without my hair being dry. So, I do both. So far so good.

Charz

Sinister Minister
Air drying makes my hair dry rough and gives me breakage.

Most recently I found out that Air drying has wrecked havoc on my ends. I tested my FHI Runway on the back portion of my hair yesterday and my ends are like velcro. I ran a wide tooth comb through it and 1 second later my ends are tangled again!

The rest of my hair was super straight with one pass with 320 degress! What gives!

Now I either rollerset under a dryer or blow dry.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I've done both air drying and cool diffusing. With airdrying, my hair/roots are definitely much thicker and fuller than when I diffuse on cool setting. I think overall, I prefer the results I get from diffusing. I usually do it until my hair is 85% dry and then set my hair as usual.