Correlation between rollersets and stunted hair growth

SandySea

tryn2growmyhair said:
I am in the same boat as you. It really is a case of the lesser of two evils. I am trying to adjust the products that I use when I airdry and keeping my hair up in loose updos as I am certain that rollersetting is what kept my hair at a shorter length for so long.

When I think back, during my years of rollersetting my hair never grew to be longer than it is now (19"). I'll try going back to airdrying. There have been several times when I have airdried without getting frizzy ends. Maybe I'll alternate. Either way, I'm going back into braids soon, so that will buy me some more time to decide. This has really been food for thought.

mkstar826

supersonic
MeccaMedinah said:
Maybe rollersetting & airdrying is a better alternative.

that's what i do when i want to stretch my hair w/o heat. i don't rollerset to wear a style, but to stretch my hair and dry it after a wash. i try not to make the rollers too tight and i also take them out before my hair is fully dry. i take them out when it's dry enough to hold the roller shape but still damp at the roots...this way my hair can shrink naturally and not break but still be stretched enough to put in braids or twists.

i haven't had any problems w/ it so far....but i also don't do it a lot and I don't use setting lotion.

secretdiamond

Good points made here. I also don't rollerset b/c I just can't do it. I can't rollerset for my life. Actuall, now that I think about it, I've never even tried. But I know of many ladies here with gorgeous hair (i.e. macherieamour) who always rollerset.

tryn2growmyhair

If I do rollerset again, I will try what Sandysea and Mkstar have suggested. I know that Jennifer MD, for instance, was able to grow her hair by alternating rollersets. I know that I will never rollerset on a weekly basis because that it was kept my fine, weak, hair short. However, I know that its important to be vigilant with airdrying. It requires more moisture added throughout the week and the plastic cap at night with oil and water is really helping. As for those who have been able to grow their hair out, power to them, but I have learned that I cant do everything that people do on this board (MTG, Surge, S-Curl, flatironing, phony pony would all break my fragile 4a/b hair). My hair would be a hot mess and would be ear-length! :eek: Also, as I have pointed out, the women, IMO, with some of the longest hair on this board and who have been here the longest do not use heat regularly.

tryn2growmyhair

SandySea said:
When I think back, during my years of rollersetting my hair never grew to be longer than it is now (19"). I'll try going back to airdrying. There have been several times when I have airdried without getting frizzy ends. Maybe I'll alternate. Either way, I'm going back into braids soon, so that will buy me some more time to decide. This has really been food for thought.
Could you please let us know what you have done when you've airdried without frizzy ends? Thanks.

imstush

I've tried to rollerset my hair and let it airdry, but it takes forever!!! and i wind up blowdrying it. I tried wrapping my hair, and that actually worked better, and I didn't need to blowdry. I used to get my hair rollerset weekly, and i don't think it was the rollersetting that made my hair stay one length for years, i think it was the heat. I would sit under the hottest dryer at full blast, and because my hair is so long and thick it would take over an hour to dry my hair.