Cowash result...Dry Ends!!!!!

iuhoosr

I want to first thank everyone who offered their advice to me about cowashing my hair.
I tried it for the first time last night. I washed with Pantene's Intensive Moisturizing conditioner. After I rinsed I felt no difference in my hair. It was like I had just used the shampoo...no soft or silkiness. Do I need to try something else on my hair for the cowash? I used my foam rollers and the curls came out nice, but I had dry and brittle ends. Suggestions to fix this regimen before I do major damage?

tryingto

I have never tried that particular conditioner, however once you rinsed, did you apply a leave in conditioner?,applying moisture to your ends and then sealing with oil should alleviate the dry ends, and I always get good results from Vo5 strawberries and cream:p then I use NTM followed with oil,to seal the moisture in, then tie down with a scarf if I am not rollersetting, my hair is usually very soft, HTH:)

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

First off, please don't use foam rollers on your hair. They will dry out your ends and make them break off. Use satin-covered rollers, like these:

Goody So Finished Satin Covered Rollers

I agree with the question about using a leave-in conditioner. You should always follow up any cowash/shampoo with a leave-in. Also, do you every clarify your hair to remove product build-up? That may have been the reason for your dryness, not the cowash itself.

Mook's hair

Pantene always seems to make my hair feel dry too. (I've never tried the newer relaxed & natural line though). I think pantene has a lot of silicone in it, and that could be causing you problems. Lots of us use vo5 or cholesterol.

I saw a post where someone uses
Roux Porosity Control Condish!
Its light, protein-free, silicone-free, super moisturizing with awesome slip, low pH 4.5 and leaves hair clean, silky, smooth and moisturized and its inexpensive -- $4.95 for 15.2 oz. It's the BEST of all worlds for co-washing, IMO . . .

Ingredients: water, propylene glycol, dicetyldimonium chloride, oleyl betaine, lecithin, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, DMD hydrandoin, fragrance, lactic acid, titanium dioxide, mica, methylparaben, propylparaben, violet 2, green 5.

SvelteVelvet

The dry ends are a result of those foam rollers not the co-wash. Also, applying a leave-in and sealing with oil should be done after any type of wash if you are trying to maintain moisture. Co-washing alone isn't enough. Also perhaps it isn't for you but it can be very beneficial if done right and cared for properly after words.

Kimberly

I've not tried this Pantene line but my hair has never really cared for Pantene conditioners in the past.

You got a lot of good suggestions already. But don't give up after one questionable experience. Try incorporating at least a couple of these suggestions first...at least the moisturizing/sealing and switching the type of rollers.

CurliDiva

All conditioners do not work for con washes. Save the heavier, thick ones for your deep conditioning or pre-poo treatments. Lots like Sauve, Raintree, Vo5 or some other cheapie brand. I personally like Aussie Moist conditioner for CWs.

Don't give up after one try!

I CW about 4 times in a row before I was convinced that my hair loved it and it cleansed without buildup.

CoCoEspresso

I agree with the previous posters about the foam rollers causing the dry ends. Also, Pantene conditioners tend to be heavier and have protein, maybe it was just too much for you hair. I use Suave and V05 condtioners for my cowash and they turn out great. I suggest that you use shea butter on your hair while its wet and sealing with oil to eliminate the dryness that you do have now. This totally eliminated the crispy dryness that I experienced.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
As a natural, my hair LOVED Pantene products, especially Pantene Relaxed and Natural. But for some unknown reason, I can't use any of their products now. I do think cones play a part, but my hair generally loves cones. However, cones can cause build up, so perhaps you need to clarify first, then try your condition wash. I did this the other day (clarify, then CW) and my hair is doing a lot better. Don't forget to use a nice leave-in, then seal with a loose oil.;)