Cowashers/No-Poo Ladies: Do you use cones?

Do you use cones?

• Yep! No problems here!

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Heck no!

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

davisbr88

I am a daily cowasher and have been using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle to do so.
I already know that cones have the propensity to build up on the hair and block moisture and all that jazz, but I am just wondering if there are people that do not shampoo but cowash frequently (at least multiple times per week) with a conditioner that contains cones.
I already know that in a "scientific" sense these should result in dry hair and probably breakage in the long run, but mineral oil is supposed to do that as well, yet I know a few people that use it without shampooing and have no problems with dry hair/retention.
Just wondering because I really, really like Suave Shea Butter & Almond as well as Aussie Moist conditioners and how they make my hair feel but since they both have cones, didn't think I could use them and expect to not have a setback down the road. I like the slip they provide, they're cheap, and they're a lot easier to get a hold of, as opposed to driving 30 minutes to the nearest TJ.

ETA: If you do use cones, can you please share your regi/products? :eek:

Last edited:

Queenmickie

Always thinking about my next hairstyle.
I like this thread. I'm a newbie and have been wondering the same thing! I tried a no cone wash two weeks ago and my eight weeks post hair was not having it:nono: By no cone wash I mean no products containing cones what's so ever. I was curious about the difference.

My hair was so puffy. I don't use direct heat, and moisturizing, sealing and tying it down made no difference. My NG was defiant until the next cone wash. I worry about setbacks too, but for now when I am 10+ weeks, I am using HH LTR condish and Silicon Mix Leave in. I am looking forward to the experienced ladies to weigh in.:notworthy

cch24

I was a daily cowasher until my hair got too long for me to handle it. Sometimes I would be no-cone and other times my staple products were Aussie, herbal essences, and aphogee. I would shampoo when I felt like it, maybe every other week at the most. I never noticed a difference in my hair either way. At the moment i am no cone for the most part just because I'm enjoying the products in using. Hope that helps!

davisbr88

I was a daily cowasher until my hair got too long for me to handle it. Sometimes I would be no-cone and other times my staple products were Aussie, herbal essences, and aphogee. I would shampoo when I felt like it, maybe every other week at the most. I never noticed a difference in my hair either way. At the moment i am no cone for the most part just because I'm enjoying the products in using. Hope that helps!

You didn't feel your hair was any drier or anything while using the cones?
And I don't shampoo at all... I haven't since June. That probably makes a difference.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I cowash daily, but I also shampoo like 2x a week. I'm fickle with cones, I go back and forth. Right now I'm cone-free.

Something I used to do when I was using cones for my cowashes: I'd shampoo once a week and immediately after shampooing I would use a cone-free conditioner. Idk, it made me feel like at least once a week, I was getting straight up cone-free moisture. Then for the rest of the week use cones. I'm guessing that you are against using shampoo? If you aren't, maybe give that a try.

keepithealthy

I've used products with cones in them over the summer when I was co-washing 2-3x's a week. I washed with a sulfate free shampooat least every other week and clarified every 4-6 weeks. My hair was fine.

GIJane

OP I co-wash with a cone conditioner. But I also clarify my hair once a month. But I am also a newbie. It seems to work for me. I am currently texlaxed. The ladies on the board say do what works for my hair. Right now this is what is working so I am sticking with it.

greenandchic

When I was a daily cowasher, I used everything from 'cones to no cones and my hair was OK, though looking back, it was dryer in the winter. I now cowash twice a week and shampoo about every other week. I use Garner Fructis Sleek & Shine (no cones), Aussie Moist (cones), Trader Joes Tree Tea Tingle (no cones), L'Oreal EverSleel (no cones) these days.

Makenzie

I co wash multiple times a week, especially now that I am working out. Sometimes everyday. I dc with Silicon Mix and have had no problems with my hair. Now that the weather is getting colder I will probably have to dc twice a week. I've been natural 3 years and have not had a problem with cones. The problem I face now is since I'm working out I have to wash my hair frequently and I am sick of the bun.

davisbr88

Thanks so much for your responses!
I was against using shampoo but I've decided to go ahead and try out the Tightly Curly method for a little while, which would include shampooing weekly. I knew no shampoo + cones wouldn't be a good mix but this definitely confirmed it!

KurlyNinja

Daily Co-washer here. I've been trying to eliminate cones so I dont get buildup, but I didnt really see a difference when I was using cones. I'm just taking precautions.