Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Yes, you read that right! I happened to come across a video on Youtube of a woman with hip length twists. She shakes Aphogee 2 step and creates a foam so it doesn't drip.

Well, I decided to take it a step farther and I whipped it using an automatic whisker. It was a resounding success.

Below is how Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment looked after being whisked for 2 to 5 minutes on high speed.

Aph 2.JPG

Here is the bottle that I used. It's that old standard, that many people know.
Aph 1.JPG

So here is the product texture. It's a runny, heavy, liquid texture that makes a mess when you put it in your hair. The product also has a 'distinct' odor. It gets every where and makes hair, fingers, clothes and bathrooms counters sticky.

Aph 1.1.JPG

It started to get creamy after 2 minutes. I mixed it for 5 minutes but after 3 minutes the consistency didn't change anymore. It looks like whipped shea butter!
Aph 2.JPG

Then I dipped my fingers into the bowl cautiously. The texture is somewhere between whipped shea butter and after shave foam from a can. I thought it would fall through my fingers and disintegrate. Surprisingly, Aphogee retained its firm shape from the time I dipped my fingers into until I plopped it on top of may hair.
I sniffed it and the 'distinct' smell the product usually has diminished considerably. The odor seemed almost faint and 'barely there'.
Aph 3.JPG

This is how it looked when I first plopped it on top of my hair.
Aph 4.JPG

This is how it looks dispersed throughout my head. I had to literally rub and squeeze it into my hair. That's a good thing! It was still somewhat firm even after I rubbed it into my hair. I used all that I made.
Aph All.JPG

This is me under the dryer. No Aphogee has come running down my forehead. Usually, I have to wrap a cloth band around my hairline so this stuff doesn't run down my face. With the original product, I am constantly wiping my face to stop the running due to it continuing to liquify from the hair dryer heat. Inevitably, some of it ALWAYS got in my eye, but not this time!
Aph 5.JPG

Product worked great as usual. I changed the rheology (liquid to whipped foam) and the viscosity (thick to fluffy) with the electric whisker and the product worked just like it always did in the past. It made my hair stick out because it was rock hard and covered it with a crunchy, protein crust, 'per usual'.
Aph 6.JPG

This is my hair after it has been rinsed and deep conditioned. I detangled, put in my Infusium/Protein filler leave in, shea butter mix, oiled my ends with castor oil then re-braided my hair. My hair feels strong from root to tip. It's greasy and shiny!
Aph final.JPG

You have to pour a significant amount of the 2 Step Protein liquid to have enough to whip with the automatic whisker. But, don't worry. If you made too much, set it aside because it returns back to the original liquid form- unharmed! Just put the un-used liquid back in the bottle.

This was the most comfortable and enjoyable application of the Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment ever! I have been using it for years. Whipped Aphogee is a Winner!

I got the idea from Naturally_Nica on YouTube. She shakes it up. I took it a step farther and whipped it up! Her hair is draw dropping beautiful. It's tail bone length!

Last edited:

faithVA

Yes, you read that right! I happened to come across a video on Youtube of a woman with hip length twists. She shakes Aphogee 2 step and creates a foam so it doesn't drip.

Well, I decided to take it a step farther and I whipped it using an automatic whisker. It was a resounding success.

Below is how Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment looked after being whisked for 2 to 5 minutes on high speed.

View attachment 384229

Here is the bottle that I used. It's that old standard, that many people know.
View attachment 384247

So here is the product texture. It's a runny, heavy, liquid texture that makes a mess when you put it in your hair. The product also has a 'distinct' odor. It gets every where and makes hair, fingers, clothes and bathrooms counters sticky.

View attachment 384249

It started to get creamy after 2 minutes. I mixed it for 5 minutes but after 3 minutes the consistency didn't change anymore. It looks like whipped shea butter!
View attachment 384251

Then I dipped my fingers into the bowl cautiously. The texture is somewhere between whipped shea butter and after shave foam from a can. I thought it would fall through my fingers and disintegrate. Surprisingly, Aphogee retained its firm shape from the time I dipped my fingers into until I plopped it on top of may hair.
I sniffed it and the 'distinct' smell the product usually has diminished considerably. The odor seemed almost faint and 'barely there'.
View attachment 384253

This is how it looked when I first plopped on top of my hair.
View attachment 384255

This is how it looks dispersed throughout my head. I had to literally rub and squeeze it into my hair. That's a good thing! It was still somewhat firm even after I rubbed it into my hair. I used all that I made.
View attachment 384257

This is me under the dryer. No Aphogee has come running down my forehead. Usually, I have to wrap a cloth band around my hairline so this stuff doesn't run down my face. With the original product, I am constantly wiping my face to stop the running due to it continuing to liquify from the hair dryer heat. Inevitably, some of it ALWAYS got in my eye, but not this time!
View attachment 384259

Product worked great as usual. I changed the rheology (liquid to whipped foam) and the viscosity (thick to fluffy) with the electric whisker and the product worked just like it always did in the past. It made my hair stick out because it was rock hard and covered it with a crunchy, protein crust, 'per usual'.
View attachment 384261

This is my hair after it has been rinsed and deep conditioned. I detangled, put in my Infusium/Protein filler leave in, shea butter mix, oiled my ends with castor oil then re-braided my hair. My hair feels strong from root to tip. It's greasy and shiny!
View attachment 384265

You have to pour a significant amount of the 2 Step Protein liquid to have enough to whip with the automatic whisker. But, don't worry. If you made too much, set it aside because it returns back to the original liquid form- unharmed! Just put the un-used liquid back in the bottle.

This was the most comfortable and enjoyable application of the Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment ever! I have been using it for years. Whipped Aphogee is a Winner!

I got the idea from Naturally_Nica on YouTube. She shakes it up. I took it a step farther and whipped it up! Here hair is draw dropping beautiful. It's tail bone length!
Thank you for this. I hated that stuff. My chin was literally stuck to my neck :lol: I may try it again because of this information.

JerriBlank

I wonder if you can get similar results by putting the product into one of those foam pumping containers? The ones that just turn liquid to foam? Or would the foamy product still be too runny? I want it whipped, like you have it!!
Now I'll be experimenting! Lol, thanks so much for this!!

Chicoro

I wonder if you can get similar results by putting the product into one of those foam pumping containers? The ones that just turn liquid to foam? Or would the foamy product still be too runny? I want it whipped, like you have it!!
Now I'll be experimenting! Lol, thanks so much for this!!

@JerriBlank ,
Try it and see! The lady in the video puts the Aphogee in a bottle (squeeze or push top) and shakes it up. You never know what can happen unless you try, right? Her results are foamy. To get it whipped, you have to use an electric whisker. Blenders won't have the same effect.

Chicoro

I wonder if the two step uses primarily eggs. Or if it's egg derived proteins ?

@winterinatl,
That's a great question! Aphogee 2 Step is mainly composed of hydrolyzed collagen. Technically, it's not even a protein but a polypeptide which is what you get when you break down protein. The collagen is derived from skin, bones and tendons of animals, which are left-overs from the meat industry. So, no eggs. (Encyclopedia of Conditioning Rinse Ingredients, Protein conditioners, page 349).

While I was looking up this I looked up some of other main ingredients in Aphogee 2 Step.

1. Hydrolyzed collagen (explained above)
  2. Water (solvent, dissolves stuff)
  3. Citric Acid (astringent= for pH) to compress organic tissues (makes the cuticle de-swell or we say here, "closes cuticle")
  4. Magnesium Sulfate (astringent= Epsom Salt)
Interestingly enough, I thought it was the 'protein' in this product that makes our hair hard. I found out it is the citric acid and the magnesium sulfate, due to their astringent action, which harden the hair!!!!

Citric acid and magnesium sulfate = create the hard hair we get from Aphogee 2 Step usage! (It's not the 'protein' in it that makes our hair hard.)

Last edited:

Chicoro

I like your detailed and informative posts a lot @Chicoro. Thank you.

@AbsyBlvd,

You are welcome and thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I am "high context" meaning I like lots of detail and explanation when I am trying to learn or understand something. But, that detail has got to be presented in an organized and relevant way. I don't like disorganized, unrelated or non-essential detailed, information. I like stuff that is communicated in a process-based, methodical way. Hence, I try to post this way when sharing with my sisters on LHCF.

The women on this site change lives. I will go as far as to say, that the women on here save lives. So many of you make things better for people around you.

Anything I can do to bolster and support that, I will do. It is especially gratifying when I can do it through my love of hair and hair care of afro-textured hair.

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd,

You are welcome and thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I am "high context" meaning I like lots of detail and explanation when I am trying to learn or understand something. But, that detail has got to be presented in an organized and relevant way. I don't like disorganized, unrelated or non-essential detailed, information. I like stuff that is communicated in a process-based, methodical way. Hence, I try to post this way when sharing with my sisters on LHCF.

The women on this site change lives. I will go as far as to say, that the women on here save lives. So many of you make things better for people around you.

Anything I can do to bolster and support that, I will do. It is especially gratifying when I can do it through my love of hair and hair care of afro-textured hair.

Well said. I agree with you 100%.

naturalmanenyc

Excellent results! I switched to using Komaza Protein treatment (creamy) since I also cannot stand the runny Aphogee formula. I use Curl Junkie Repair Me now. Thanks for all the detail and photos!