Creme of Nature changed?

jazzyfunknastee

I'm probably late but did they change the formula for Creme of Nature? I just finished my bottle (yellow bottle with green writing) and I went to the beauty supply store to get some more but I noticed that CON is in a new bottle. It's white with the green writing and a yellow cap. In my past experience, whenever a company changed the packaging they changed the product too. If they did, I'm scared how this'll affect my hair. I got the most finicky hair ever and a formula change might make it fall out /images/graemlins/grin.gif Hopefully they didn't but maybe I can find the original kind around.

daviine

Hey jazz---welcome to the club (I never welcomed you before). /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have been using CON for about ten years and I too was concerned with the change. However, I haven't noticed anything different about the formula. It might just have been a business thing becasue I noticed that it says Colomer Professional instead of Revlon Professional.

If there ever was a noticeable change, I don't remember what it was because the new formula has been out for a while now. Perhaps I just got used to it but I really can't remember there being any major issues.

Don't be afraid to try it. And let me know if you notice anything different at all.

ricochet

Actually yes, they have changed the formula...but just a little. The new white bottles with the green and red writings have Sodium Hydroxide in them. It is pretty far down on the list, but I think I will stick with the old formula in the colored bottles(red and yellow) HTH! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviine

Micarae do you know if there was a change in the Ultra Moisturizing formulas. I think the red and yellow is the normal formula.

Perhaps you can take your yellow and green bottle and compare it to the white and green bottle with the yellow cap while still in the sotre. However, even if there is a difference in writing, it doesn't always necessarily amount to a noticeable change.

Then again, everyone's hair is different. And I don't remember if there ever was a noticeable difference.

MSCHICHI

My understanding is that they did not change the formula, but they did change the way they listed the ingredients.

I remember this coming up over at LHL, and there was a long thread about this.

A few posters pointed out that they way they listed the ingredients now made it more confusing.

Sodium hydroxide is simply lye. Soap is a by-product of a chemical reaction from mixing sodium hydroxide and a fatty acid. There is no sodium hydroxide left after the reaction is complete.

Because of this, there is actually no sodium hydroxide in CON. Listing it as an ingredient only makes it confusing.

As a side note, the primary foaming agent in Creme of Nature though, is Decyl Polyglycoside, a derivative of corn syrup.

The info on soapmaking info was pulled from the following website:

http://www.maplewoodsoap.com/FAQ's.html

More info from it follows:

WHAT IS SAPONIFICATION?
Saponification is the chemical reaction that results from mixing an alkali salt, Sodium Hydroxide, with fatty acids, namely oils and butters. Sodium Hydroxide is a base while fats are acids. When mixed together in the correct quantities, saponification occurs and SOAP is the result. Using the cold process method of making soap,saponification is not immediate. During the curing period, 4-6 weeks, the Sodium Hydroxide and fatty acids react completely with one another. Using the hot process method saponification takes about 2 hours to complete. There is no Sodium Hydroxide left in the soap after saponification reaction has been completed!

WHAT IS SOAP?
Very simply, soap is the by-product of a chemical reaction between a base salt (sodium hydroxide) commonly known as lye, and fatty acids (oils and butters). This chemical reaction is called saponification.