Critique my regimen

HairBarbie

My hair is breaking, I feel like I might have a little moisture overload but it's always dry and I can't seem to find the right moisturizer for my hair.

Once a week I:
Shampoo with CON green bottle
Deep Condition with Aubrey Organics HSR
Protein Condition with Aubrey Organics GPB

Then once a moth I do a protein treatment with raw eggs

For daily moisturizing, I use Nexxus and sometimes I mix it with Herbal Essence Long term relationship.

All my hair is doing right now is break, break, break and I want to tweak my regimen, since it's obviously not working.

Also which Qhemet moisturizer would you recommend for weak 4a hair? A lot of people say the heavy cream is great, but there are some that say it does more harm than good for their hair.

robot.

Maybe the protein weekly is too much, especially since you already do it once a month with eggs.

ETA: What Nexxus product exactly are you using for moisturizing?

HairBarbie

Maybe the protein weekly is too much, especially since you already do it once a month with eggs.

ETA: What Nexxus product exactly are you using for moisturizing?

I am using Nexxus Humectress and sealing with extra virgin olive oil. So protein once a week is too much.

Should I just switch to shampoo and deep condition moisturizing once a week and then eggs for protein once a month?

Yea. I agree. Too much protein.

Are you doing any protective hairstyles? Bunning?
I always bun and clip it up with the salon type hair pins.

Thanks a lot ladies.

robot.

The eggs once a month sounds a lot better than protein every week. :yep:

And if you don't use much product during the week, or have much build up, you might consider skipping the shampoo when you do wash and try co-washing instead - that'll definitely up your moisture levels.

There are also 'light' protein conditioners you can try, so you get the protein you need without the excess breakage. And you can use these when you feel your hair needs a little more strength and use moisturizing conditioners in between.

ETA: And be careful with hair pins. Putting them in the same place everyday could lead to breakage too.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Have You Changed Your Diet Lately? Or taking any medicines recently? I would check that first. Then I would up my Water and if I am not currently taking a Multivitamin I would start or at least something for my hair.

Then I would clarify my hair to remove any buildup. Something is keeping your products from really working if your hair is always dry.:perplexed

I would definitely do a Protein Treatment. And I would probably use a strong one to see if I could get my breakage under control.

You should be using the GPB before the HSR. Moisturizing should always follow Protein.

Have you thought about Co-Washing and maybe using Shampoo bi-weekly or monthly instead of weekly? Perhaps weekly Shampooing is drying your hair out too.

What are you using for your daily moisturizer/leave-in. You said Nexxus_____?

And I personally would probably try Porosity Control as my Final Rinse.

HairBarbie

The eggs once a month sounds a lot better than protein every week. :yep:

And if you don't use much product during the week, or have much build up, you might consider skipping the shampoo when you do wash and try co-washing instead - that'll definitely up your moisture levels.

There are also 'light' protein conditioners you can try, so you get the protein you need without the excess breakage. And you can use these when you feel your hair needs a little more strength and use moisturizing conditioners in between.

ETA: And be careful with hair pins. Putting them in the same place everyday could lead to breakage too.

I thought AO GPB was a light protein. Is it not?

Have You Changed Your Diet Lately? Or taking any medicines recently? I would check that first. Then I would up my Water and if I am not currently taking a Multivitamin I would start or at least something for my hair.

Then I would clarify my hair to remove any buildup. Something is keeping your products from really working if your hair is always dry.:perplexed

I would definitely do a Protein Treatment. And I would probably use a strong one to see if I could get my breakage under control.

You should be using the GPB before the HSR. Moisturizing should always follow Protein.

Have you thought about Co-Washing and maybe using Shampoo bi-weekly or monthly instead of weekly? Perhaps weekly Shampooing is drying your hair out too.

What are you using for your daily moisturizer/leave-in. You said Nexxus_____?

And I personally would probably try Porosity Control as my Final Rinse.
I need to be consistent with my multi-vitamin, I get lazy and forget them. I need to learn to discipline my self.

I usually do the protein before the moisturizer, I just didn't list them in order. I'm going to pick up a clarifying shampoo this weekend, my other one ran out and I haven't replaced it. I used to co-wash, but my hair was shedding too much so I stopped, but thinking about it, I think my hair still trhived better overall with co-washing, I've being debating whether or not I should go back to it this past few weeks, I guess I should.

I use Nexxus Humectress for moisturizer, sometimes I mix it with Herbal Essence Long Term relation ship.

HairBarbie

New Regimen: Will this work?

-Moisturize with Humectress everyday and once in a while mix it with Herbal Essence LTR leave in
-Co wash twice a week with Herbal Essence Long Term relationship conditioner
-Shampoo bi-weekly with CON
-Deep Condition weekly with Aubrey Organics HSR
-Do protein treatment once a month with eggs
-Clarify once a month with clarifying shampoo

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
New Regimen: Will this work?

-Moisturize with Humectress everyday and once in a while mix it with Herbal Essence LTR leave in
-Co wash twice a week with Herbal Essence Long Term relationship conditioner
-Shampoo bi-weekly with CON
-Deep Condition weekly with Aubrey Organics HSR
-Do protein treatment once a month with eggs
-Clarify once a month with clarifying shampoo

Question: Why did your Drop the GPB? If anything, I'd want to keep my protein in. You said initially that you thought you had "moisture overload" but you eliminated the Balancer (AO GPB) which would give you a little more protein.:perplexed I know Humectress is uber moisturizing. I've never used HE LTR

Do you think the Monthly Egg Treatment will be enough Protein for you?

HairBarbie

Question: Why did your Drop the GPB? If anything, I'd want to keep my protein in. You said initially that you thought you had "moisture overload" but you eliminated the Balancer (AO GPB) which would give you a little more protein.:perplexed I know Humectress is uber moisturizing. I've never used HE LTR

Do you think the Monthly Egg Treatment will be enough Protein for you?
Would you suggest that I go back to using GPB once a week, along with eggs once a month?

I'm so lost, I'm not sure what to do, I feel like giving up on this whole hair things. :wallbash::wallbash:

Maybe I should drop Humectress and find another moisturizer, that's the one thing I've never been able to find, a moisturizer that works perfectly for my hair.

Ronnieaj

HB,

If you've answered this already I'm sorry, I missed it. Are you natural or relaxed/texlaxed/texturized? If you're relaxed I'd stick with the GPB followed by the HSR on a weekly basis. GPB is a light protein and should help. If you're natural you may not need the protein as often(I say as a natural who uses protein every week). IDT mentioned doing a hard protein treatment; I've found that these are great for stopping breakage completely, but you have to really keep your moisture level up. I use ApHogee 2 step every six weeks, almost like a preventative measure. Unless you're very protein sensitive, I'd be worried about overmoisturizing if using the Humectress on a daily basis, so some regular protein may help combat that.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My Hair Thrives with alot of Protein. So, what may work for my Hair may not work for you. To me, it did not sound like you had "too much protein" That's why I ask about your Diet, Supplements, Water etc.....

I use both Protein and Moisturizing Conditioners weekly. And sometimes I Co-Wash with a Protein Based Conditioner (depending on what I feel My Hair needs that particular week).

I use MT and some other additional Protein Leave-In Treatments, but I keep my Moisture Levels Up as well.

But If I was having "Breakage," I'd probably use a Heavy Protein something specifically designed to stop the Breakage i.e. Nexxus Emergencee or others. And I had it all. Breakage, Shedding, Falling. You Name it, I had it.

There was a recent thread: How do you stop Breakage? Or What do you use to Stop Breakage or something like that?

You might want to look at that for more ideas. But, please don't get discouraged.:hug2: It's all learning your Hair and Trial & Error.

Stay Encouraged.

KinkyGenius

My hair is breaking, I feel like I might have a little moisture overload but it's always dry and I can't seem to find the right moisturizer for my hair.

Once a week I:
Shampoo with CON green bottle
Deep Condition with Aubrey Organics HSR
Protein Condition with Aubrey Organics GPB

Then once a moth I do a protein treatment with raw eggs

For daily moisturizing, I use Nexxus and sometimes I mix it with Herbal Essence Long term relationship.

All my hair is doing right now is break, break, break and I want to tweak my regimen, since it's obviously not working.

Also which Qhemet moisturizer would you recommend for weak 4a hair? A lot of people say the heavy cream is great, but there are some that say it does more harm than good for their hair.

AO GPB is a very light protein with moisturizing qualities as well. I use it weekly with no problem at all. It has actually stopped my breakage. So for me I don't think that's the problem.

My Observations :

• Maybe you need to experiment with a different conditioner for your DC? I use AO HSR, but for me it's LOUSY as a DC; I use it more as a pre-poo. The DC I use is Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner. I don't know if you're opposed to ordering products, but the Elucence line has completely transformed my hair. Using a good moisturizing conditioner is key after a protein treatment, so this might be the problem not the weekly protein itself. Just my opinion though!

• Could be the moisturizer? I might be misremembering but I think most Nexxus products have "bad" ingredients in them, so maybe your hair is rejecting the product? The moisturizer I use is Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root, it's a really great product. I don't know what "type" my hair is, but I noticed that when I seal with heavier oils, it not only weighs my hair down but causes it to break, so maybe even try sealing with a lighter oil. Like Grapeseed oil or Macadamia Nut Oil.

• I'm sure one of the hair gurus will chime in here lol, but I don't see a protein reconstructor in your regimen. Do you use one? I use Mizani Renew Strength Gelee. This excerpt is from the Hairlicious blog: "[Reconstructors] contain the highest quantity of protein and provide very little conditioning. They're more concentrated containing smaller hydrolyzed proteins that penetrate and bind to the cuticle layers a little more deeply. The results are usually more dramatic and longer lasting than protein-based conditioners - their sole purpose is to repair/reconstruct the hair shaft...so these treatments don't offer much conditioning, and generally have to be followed up with a moisturizing conditioner."

I hope some of that helps :yep:!

Last edited:

newflowers

You've received some good advice and great options. Where is your hair breaking? at the ends? in the middle? near the roots? at the line of demarcation between relaxed and natural? Paying attention to where you're getting breakage is important in being able to stop the breakage.

You mentioned that you use CON shampoo, and I've read here that it can cause buildup. If you say which one, ladies who know can tell if about that. Excessive buildup of cones, etc. will not allow the goodies of your products to do their job, so clarifying and/or chelating is important from time to time. The use of PC or some acidifier is a very good thing.

How are you styling your hair? Though I don't do the no/low manipulation thing, the type of hairpins, pony tail holders, headbands, pillow case, scarf, the type of combs and brushes, excessive heat, etc. can contribute to hair breakage depending upon what you're doing and when. A bit more information there would be helpful in trying to find a solution.

There is a solution - never say die; never speak defeat.

PrissyMiss

Your regimen sounds fine however I'm sure if your hair likes protein every week even if it is light protein. If you're new to the whole hair care thing I recommend that you start off slow. Start using protein every other week, then if your hair needs it increase the use of protein.

Another thing loose the Nexxus Humectress as a moisturizer, that's not what that is meant for. You can keep the herbal essence, but you night want to try sealing it with oil after you put it in, however, I do recommend you finding a real moisturizer like aloe vera gel and gylcerin. Your hair will thank you.

But honestly it depends on how your hair is breaking. I recommend that you read Sistaslicks article on breakage. Read and memorize it, you will need it for life!

HairBarbie

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions ladies.

Here are a few more tidbts:
I relax my hair every 12 weeks with Mizzani sensitive scalp no lye relaxer.
When I bun my hair, I pull it back, twist it lightly and the clip it down with those metal hair pins.

I guess it would be better if I pulled it back, braided it and then pinned it.
Instead of using Humectress I guess I can use ORS olive oil, the lotion not the jar
I might look into the other oils someone mentioned for sealing instead of using EVOO. I wonder if the bunning is being counterproductive. Maybe I need to look into other protective styles.

Newflower, I don't comb my hair frequently, I just finger comb it and I always wear a protective cap to sleep. The only time I use heat is once every three months when I relax my hair.

qt_pie, what kind of aloe vera gel do you use? I got one a while back from CVS and it was the 99% aloe vera, but it didn't seem to do anything for my hair.

ShyIntellect, would you say that keracare humecto is a better deep conditioner than AO HSR? I still have a big tub at home, I was trying to do the whole cone free thing and natural route and that was why I switched to AO.

What would you ladies recommend for a regular shampoo in replacement for CON?

Thanks for all your advice and words of encouragement, I really really really appreciate it.

newflowers

If you're combing so infrequently, maybe this is not a big breakage issue. Your scalp will naturally shed up to 200 hairs per day. Even at just 50 hairs per day, combing every couple of days will look like a tons of hair coming out.

DaDragonPrincess

Start Co-Washing ASAP, Co-Washing has really help me with keeping my hair soft and full of moisture.

I use nothing but moisture milk by V05 to co-wash!!!! I DC my Co-Washes for 3 hours with plastic cap, then rinse!!!!

Also do a pre poo the night before the day you wash your hair!!!!

charmtreese

How about this:

Pre poo with AO GPB
Cleanse with CON Poo
and DC with heat AO HSR

Use the egg protein treatment once every 6 weeks as a pre poo.

charmtreese

Wouldn't egg be a protein treatment? I thought it was equivalent to aphogee.

yeah the egg is a protein treatment. I just prefer to do my protein treatments on dry hair. I have really fine hair and pre-pooing with protein tends to work best for me. However, I use emergencee on wet hair...but since its a poly conditoner I guess it doesnt count. :look:

KinkyGenius

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions ladies.

Here are a few more tidbts:
I relax my hair every 12 weeks with Mizzani sensitive scalp no lye relaxer.
When I bun my hair, I pull it back, twist it lightly and the clip it down with those metal hair pins.

I guess it would be better if I pulled it back, braided it and then pinned it.
Instead of using Humectress I guess I can use ORS olive oil, the lotion not the jar
I might look into the other oils someone mentioned for sealing instead of using EVOO. I wonder if the bunning is being counterproductive. Maybe I need to look into other protective styles.

Newflower, I don't comb my hair frequently, I just finger comb it and I always wear a protective cap to sleep. The only time I use heat is once every three months when I relax my hair.

qt_pie, what kind of aloe vera gel do you use? I got one a while back from CVS and it was the 99% aloe vera, but it didn't seem to do anything for my hair.

ShyIntellect, would you say that keracare humecto is a better deep conditioner than AO HSR? I still have a big tub at home, I was trying to do the whole cone free thing and natural route and that was why I switched to AO.

What would you ladies recommend for a regular shampoo in replacement for CON?

Thanks for all your advice and words of encouragement, I really really really appreciate it.

I can relate to you there with trying to do the cone free thing. I've been doing the same thing; Elucence is cone-free. When I first started experimenting with products I started with the Mizani line and then tried Keracare (mostly because I thought Macherie's hair was like nothing I've ever seen - gorgeous). But that Keracare line dried...my...hair...out something fierce. I started noticing the actual ingredients in products after that and I soon learned that my hair doesn't like mineral oil, heavy cones and glycerine-laden products. If that's not the case for your hair though, then I would suggest trying it out! Maybe "doctor it up" a bit, by mixing the AO HSR and an oil with it for your DC. I've heard some really great reviews on the Humecto conditioner.

As far as shampoos, I'll name off a few I've seen decent reviews on. I use Elucence Moisture Balance shampoo though:

• Keracare Hydrating and Detangling Shampoo
  • Design Essentials Moisture Retention
  • Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Shampoo
  • Mizani Botanifying Shampoo
  • Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture (sulfate free)
  • Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
  • Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo (this left my hair a matted mess unfortunately, I really wanted to love it)
It really does sound like you're on the right track, just need to still fine tune and tweak your regimen a bit. I honestly believe finding the right products for your hair is 75% of the battle. I know I'm rambling lol, but one thing that helped me find the right products for me and curbed my PJism (noticed I said "curbed" and not "cured") is that when I found one product that responded extremely well to my hair, I tried the whole line (i.e., Elucence!).

KinkyGenius

yeah the egg is a protein treatment. I just prefer to do my protein treatments on dry hair. I have really fine hair and pre-pooing with protein tends to work best for me. However, I use emergencee on wet hair...but since its a poly conditoner I guess it doesnt count. :look:

Same; I do protein treatments on dry hair as well. Makes a world of difference.

Vonnieluvs08

Something I found that really helped me was in the Sticky for Newbies ( I think). But it was Still Breaking but doing everything right...or something like that and when I followed the regimen in there it really helped my hair. I'll see if I can find it however I stink at posting links so bare with me.

Doing Everything Right But STILL Breaking-Supergirl's Guide to Breakage
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ad.php?t=93610

Last edited: