Crown and Glory 2023!

MzSwift

OK, my hair just tangles too much when I take down my cornrows. I think I need to revamp my way of refreshing.

What I usually do is take down a cornrow, finger detangle and then rebraid it. And then move on to the next cornrow. But my new growth roots are always tangled bc of the way I borrow or add the hair when cornrowing. And sometimes I've got hair from another row braided into the next row. :look:

What I'm going to start doing is just taking them all down at the same the time, finger detangling each one as I go.

I started doing my hair that old way when my hair was natural and I never liked to deal with all of my hair at once so just taking down and refreshing worked. Also, if I didn't get to finish, I wasn't walking around w half braided hair. BUT my hair is long enough now that I can just take them all down in one sitting and then rebraid them in another sitting. I can bun my hair in between sittings if I have to leave the house.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
@MzSwift Now you knowww your hair is too long to be borrowing. It can pay for its house outright :laugh:

Ngl I have hair that somehow mysterious creeps into the other braids too. :band: "Secret, agent hairrr, secret agent hairrrr."

MzSwift

@MzSwift Now you knowww your hair is too long to be borrowing. It can pay for its house outright :laugh:

Ngl I have hair that somehow mysterious creeps into the other braids too. :band: "Secret, agent hairrr, secret agent hairrrr."

Right! I don't even know why I'm getting annoyed. lol.
So I refreshed one half of my head the usual way and refreshed the other side by taking it all down and rebraiding. It was easier and faster to take it all down but the finger parting needs a little work. lol. I need to be able to access my scalp when I apply my scalp stuff! I think I'll use the metal tail of my comb next time. My texlaxed hair can take being loose all at once, my natty hair couldn't. I guess I need to retrain my thinking from being natural. Even though I haven't been for a long time, I've been keeping those hair practices and techniques throughout my texlaxed journey.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Okay. Officially three weeks today. I’ve been pulling the crochet up into a tucked bun. I think that will help me rock out the next three weeks.
Especially as next week I will be in the pool and ocean. I do not want to get this hair wet.

Oiling up my scalp every 2 or 3 days. If I’ve retained an inch of hair by the next 3 weeks I will be super happy.

I’m going to get a length check shirt though.

MzSwift

Okay. Officially three weeks today. I’ve been pulling the crochet up into a tucked bun. I think that will help me rock out the next three weeks.
Especially as next week I will be in the pool and ocean. I do not want to get this hair wet.

Oiling up my scalp every 2 or 3 days. If I’ve retained an inch of hair by the next 3 weeks I will be super happy.

I’m going to get a length check shirt though.

Getting a length check shirt is a milestone all by itself! Grow on, girl!!

MzSwift

I'm giving in to the mini braids urge. Just trying to decide if I wanna do my usual micro or just small ones. I still don't think my hair is at a length where pencil sized ones will look good on me.

I think I'm going to skip this texlax I had planned. But I WILL wash, DC and blow dry my hair before I braid. That's new for me. I'm gonna try to do my refreshes this way. Take down, wash and DC and then blow dry. I hope that will help "train" my new growth as well. Also, my installs seem to go faster on blow dried hair too. And then I'll just do EOTY texlaxes for my reveal to myself for my board challenges.

MzSwift

Finally realized last night what the issue is with me.. I'm ready for long braids NOW! :gorgeous:
So I'm gonna install my first set of extensions in YEARS! That's my mood at the moment. :bdance:

I plan to create my braid spray of 10% Infusium 23 + 90% water and a few drops of my hair oil.
Weekly or biweekly, I'll pour diluted poo and condish onto the braids without manipulating my hair and then rinse.
I plan to redo them once a month. Doing a wash, DC (with protein) and blowout before each new install.
Not sure how many months I'll sustain this.
I hope I don't experience any set backs. :pray:

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
All the length check shirts just have inspiring words or motivation. Im looking for the one with the lengths called out. I need to do a little more searching.

MzSwift

OK, talk to me ladies. Why did we stop rocking micros? I didn't do it back when they were popular but I noticed that once HHJs became a focus, ladies switched to pencil sized or larger braids/twists. I'm sure it has something to do w adding too much hair to the sections. And also, ladies weren't really caring for their real hair under them.

Did anyone figure out how to rock micros in a HHJ? I don't mind going down the YT rabbithole but sometimes, those ladies aren't really doing healthy hair practices - they care more about the style. I'm in the mood for long hair but don't want it loose so no weave or wig. I also don't want to do a braid base for crochets. I want the hair braided to my scalp. I want long, really small individuals. I'll even settle for minis instead of micros. My hair is around BSB so I will have to have it braided pretty much all of the way down in order to protect my hair. So I'm thinking of doing mini twists instead of braids and refreshing them every 6 weeks or so.

Everything else stands. I want to pour on diluted cleanser and conditioner at least weekly and use Infusium 23 in my braid spray mix.

I've been rocking two braided pig tails for the past few days until I can figure out what size to install. C'mon put me out of my misery, ladies!! :prettyplease:

:lachen:

Sosoothing

OK, talk to me ladies. Why did we stop rocking micros? I didn't do it back when they were popular but I noticed that once HHJs became a focus, ladies switched to pencil sized or larger braids/twists. I'm sure it has something to do w adding too much hair to the sections. And also, ladies weren't really caring for their real hair under them.

Did anyone figure out how to rock micros in a HHJ? I don't mind going down the YT rabbithole but sometimes, those ladies aren't really doing healthy hair practices - they care more about the style. I'm in the mood for long hair but don't want it loose so no weave or wig. I also don't want to do a braid base for crochets. I want the hair braided to my scalp. I want long, really small individuals. I'll even settle for minis instead of micros. My hair is around BSB so I will have to have it braided pretty much all of the way down in order to protect my hair. So I'm thinking of doing mini twists instead of braids and refreshing them every 6 weeks or so.

Everything else stands. I want to pour on diluted cleanser and conditioner at least weekly and use Infusium 23 in my braid spray mix.

I've been rocking two braided pig tails for the past few days until I can figure out what size to install. C'mon put me out of my misery, ladies!! :prettyplease:

:lachen:

I do my own braids so patience is the issue for me. I'd rather be doing other things with my time..Lol. But I love micros. Although I have to add when I did get them, if was maybe only once a year. The matting from buildup and the hair I'd lose during take down was an issue for me. Also, with time, learned to not braid the edges.

I haven't installed braids since I last told you I wanted some. Again, because I think of how long it will take me. Crochet is quicker but I don't like the tangling I get when I take down my cornrows. I'm taking down my crochet now. I don't know if I'll try and braid or do a other crochet set.

Last edited:

MzSwift

I do my own braids so patience is the issue for me. I'd rather be doing other things with my time..Lol. But I love micros. Although I have to add when I did get them, if was maybe only once a year. The matting from buildup and the hair I'd lose during take down was an issue for me. Also, with time, learned to not braid the edges.

I haven't installed braids since I last told you I wanted some. Again, because I think of how long it will take me. Crochet is quicker but I don't like the tangling I get when I take down my cornrows. I'm taking down my crochet now. I don't know if I'll try and braid or do a other crochet set.

Amen to the time and the cornrow tangling issues! I thought me and cornrows had a thing going on but the take down tangling is no joke. BUT I still think they are my go-to winter hair bc it's too cold in these MI streets to be doing anything that isn't fully covered hair. lol

I think I'mma go ahead and do my minis.

@MzSwift I've been doing them on my own hair without the weave, but now it's just a matter of patience and stamina :rofl:

Right! You know I love my no extension braids. I think I wanna rock extensions when it's warm out until my hair is where I want it.

Thank you both so much! :grouphug3:

So I'm looking at doing mini twists extensions like this:

1713558850030.png

But long like this (not booty length long like the young ladies wear them :giggle: ):
1713558932342.png

Lord, please keep my hands strong and on task!! :pray: