Crown and Glory braid method without extensions

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
I have a question that you ladies can help me with. I was reading a post for the Crown and Glory method and would like to try it. I'm very interested in wearing braids, but I don't want to put extensions in my hair just yet. I bought a bag of Kanekalon hair just the other day. Maybe if I put my hair in braid plaits, can I still achieve the same growth in months time than with extensions? I sure hope to get some input from you all.

Nanyanika

Hello Babycurls,
Congratulations on deciding to follow the Crown & Glory technique. I've followed Robin's technique for almost 5 months now. I alternate between wearing exstensions or cornrows and I can say for definiate that I achieve the same growth results using natural or synthetic hair. I recently loosed out my cornrows which I kept in for 2 months and my hair has grown soooo much. I have grown a total of 4 1/2 since December, 2002. Believe me it really does work.

my photo's http://www.growafrohairlong.com/denise.html

Good Luck!

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
den1 said:
and my hair has grown soooo much. I have grown a total of 4 1/2 since December, 2002. Believe me it really does work.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi den1

correct me if i am wrong but under normal circumstanes your hair grows on average 2 inches a month anyway, doesnt it?

NAPPtural

WOW Girl..you have a head full of thick hair. I like.
How long was your hair wen you first started out. I'm doing the Crown and Glory now with the extensions but I'm only taking Flintstones multivitimin chewable cause I can't swallow pills. (ugh) so I don't know if they will be the same or not but I do have my Growth braids in...but I started out in a TWA...how long was your hair when you started out?
Thanks

~Napptural~

Integrity

her regimen really looks simple. i am seriously considering doing it from autumn, looking forwrd to it!! and it is so so true what someone said on the website that there is no point in doing the regime if the braids are done wrong or tigtly.

Nanyanika

Hello Pandora,
On alternating months I have managed to gain around 1 3/4 inches, this is not on a consistent basis. Recently, my hair has slowed down to an 1 inch per month. When I eat correctly, along with excerise I achieve the 1 3/4, but I've been ill and not taking all my vitamins, over the past few month's this has reduced the speed of my growth. If only I could get 2 inches per month without fail i'd be a very happy woman. Even before I started Robin's techniques I always wore braids to achieve my current length. I hope this clarify's things.

Nanyanika

Hi Napptural,
Thanks for the compliments, my hair was somewhere above the bra-strap I honestly can't remember the exact length, because i don't straighten my hair. Before Robin's technique I wore braids to achieve my length, however I did'nt wash/deep condition my hair often which i have now incorporated in my routine from Robin's technique, along with handling my hair correctly, and sealing my hair ends, to retain moisture. Because of her technique i'm retaining most of my hair growth, however i have been trimming my hair quite often. The photo's apparently do not show the full hair's length, because my hair is in its natural state, It is now longer. I wish you luck

Blackndiangirl

Well I also tried the method with my natural hair, along time ago, i dont remember the growth i got but i can tell you my hair did grow.

NAPPtural

Blackndiangirl said:
Well I also tried the method with my natural hair, along time ago, i dont remember the growth i got but i can tell you my hair did grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was your routine? when you had the braids in?

Blackndiangirl

My routine when i had my braids in was, I washed my hair once a week, and found a good scalp oil and oiled my scalp and ends everyday, and slept in a satin bonnet at night. Thats all i did, i think, Also I sprayed Infusium 23leavein treatment daily, to keep it moist. I have it wrote down somewhere at home what i did, if i find it i will let you know but i think thats what i did.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
Hi, Denise,

I really love you hair, girl! You grow!! I never thought that your hair really grew like wildfire. To be honest, you have the same texture as my mom's. She's also a 4b/c. Her hair was relaxed, and she sweats a lot. So she hasn't been relaxed since last year.

Anyway, I really do hope this technique can work on my hair, as well as it did on yours. My hair, in case you didn't know, is 3a/b natural. Someday I'll have pictures for the whole world to see of my hair. It'll be a long time, though.

Daughter

UK Blak
girl, I already said I'm gonna look after my hair like you do! I must admit I didn't pay attention to the hair ends sealing bit but I think I'll give it a try.

Do you think washing natural hair more than once a week is too much? I think I might need to do every 4-5 days as my scalp is a bit dry.

There's a natural hair conference in Kensington on Sunday, you heard about it? It's in my sig.

Nanyanika

Hello Daughter,
If you feel the need to wash your hair often as twice a week and you are comfortable doing so, there should be no problem. I have'nt heard of the natural hair conference in Kensington, Thanks for informing me, however I may not be able to make it because I have church on Sunday.

Good luck!

Nanyanika

Blackndiangirl said:
This is Directed to Den1, What is your current length.

[/ QUOTE ]

On Robin's website it says 5-6 inches above my waist, I have gained a few inches more since then, and have managed to retain most of that growth since January, I plan to take some recent photo's, be patient i'll post them, when I remove my next set of cornrows.