Crown and Glory Method Users

flower

I have been using this method for two years. I believe I may be doing something wrong because my hair should be longer. Please respond if you have any suggestions.

My rountine is as follows while in braids:

1.) Wash hair 1x a week with diluted Dudu Osun Black Soap
2.) Spray hair with braid concoction nightly( aloe vera juice, castor oil, lecthin,glycerin, and rosemary oil)

My rountine is as follows while in out of Braids:

1.) Deep Condition with henna, wash with black soap
2.) Wear afro puff or flat twist for 2 weeks
3.) Get braids

LiLi

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong but I'm not familiar with the products that you are using (other than the castor oil).

Question 1: Do your braids feel moisturized when you take them down? If not, then you used re-evaluate the products that you are using.

Question 2: Have you actually taken pictures (like before and now pics). If not, you make be retaining length but just don't see it.

Just remember, your hair is always growing, it's the length retention that you have to focus on. :)

StartinOvah

how many inches did you gain? perhaps something other than your haircare regimen is influencing your hair growth (diet, exercise, stress, etc).

sareca

I love C&G, but for me it was just a starting point. I take down a couple of braids every week and see what my hair needs then do what I'd do if it wasn't braided. I pre-poo my braids w/ amla oil. I steam my braids. I condition my hair w/ leave-ins (protein or moisture depending on what it needs). My hair was dry as a bone whenever I followed her method too closely. :nono: The biggest thing I've learned is I HAVE TO condition my hair when it's braided.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

sareca said:
I love C&G, but for me it was just a starting point. I take down a couple of braids every week and see what my hair needs then do what I'd do if it wasn't braided. I pre-poo my braids w/ amla oil. I steam my braids. I condition my hair w/ leave-ins (protein or moisture depending on what it's needs). My hair was dry as a bone whenever I followed her method too closely. :nono: The biggest thing I've learned is I HAVE TO condition my hair when it's braided.
Great Post Sareca!!!

I will keep this in mind, I am going into braids the next three months to stretch my relaxer to 24 weeks.:)

flower

sareca said:
I love C&G, but for me it was just a starting point. I take down a couple of braids every week and see what my hair needs then do what I'd do if it wasn't braided. I pre-poo my braids w/ amla oil. I steam my braids. I condition my hair w/ leave-ins (protein or moisture depending on what it's needs). My hair was dry as a bone whenever I followed her method too closely. :nono: The biggest thing I've learned is I HAVE TO condition my hair when it's braided.

Sareca,

How do you Pre=poo and steam your braids? I also have noticed my hair is really dry. I was using African Braid Spray until I believe I
read that it contain paraben. Thus, I am making my own.

sareca

flower said:
Sareca,

How do you Pre=poo and steam your braids? I also have noticed my hair is really dry. I was using African Braid Spray until I believe I
read that it contain paraben. Thus, I am making my own.

I use an applicate bottle to apply my oil concoction. Once I've got 'em soaked I put a thin wet bath towel (dripping wet) in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. Be careful when you taking it out. I bend over and place the towel on my hair and wrap it up. Then I cover that towel w/ a thicker dry bath towel. I leave it on until the wet towel gets cold (about 20 minutes) then rinse.

If you add water to your homemade braid spray and plan to keep more than a couple days worth, don't forget to add a natural preservative (like grapeseed oil). Parabens are basically perservatives and needed to keep bacteria from growing in your stuff.

ETA: Steam does a wonderful job of cleaning the microwave too. Just run a rag around in there after you take the bath towel out.

flower

sareca said:
I use an applicate bottle to apply my oil concoction. Once I've got 'em soaked I put a thin wet bath towel (dripping wet) in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. Be careful when you taking it out. I bend over and place the towel on my hair and wrap it up. Then I cover that towel w/ a thicker dry bath towel. I leave it on until the wet towel gets cold (about 20 minutes) then rinse.

If you add water to your homemade braid spray and plan to keep more than a couple days worth, don't forget to add a natural preservative (like grapeseed oil). Parabens are basically perservatives and needed to keep bacteria from growing in your stuff.

ETA: Steam does a wonderful job of cleaning the microwave too. Just run a rag around in there after you take the bath towel out.

Isn't rosemary oil a preservative? Also, I believe you stated that you condition your hair while in braids to combat dryness? If so, how do you condition with the braids in?

sareca

flower said:
Isn't rosemary oil a preservative? Also, I believe you stated that you condition your hair while in braids to combat dryness? If so, how do you condition with the braids in?

Yes. You did say you add rosemary oil. It is a preservative. My bad.

Ok, to condition (which I do after every poo) I mix a capful of Salerm 21 (Qhemet Olive Oil Detangler, DesignLine Olive Oil Leave-in, or Humectress) with water and a little oil (usually macademia nut oil) in a 16 oz bottle. Shake it up, section my braids into 4 parts and pour the mixture over each section in equal amounts. I either put a plastic cap on and sit under the bonnet dryer, steam it or just let it air dry.

cutiebe2

I agree with Sareca. I DC 2x per week with braids in..or I DC once and Co wash once. I think you need more moisture. Also, I only use soap every three weeks or so. I did this last time and still didn't have matting because I don't use a heavy daily spray (Jamaican Mango and Lime No more Itch gro spray) and when I take my braids out I first saturate them with conditioner.
Next time try DCing more. Do everything you would normally do but with the braids instead of your hair out.
hth!

sareca

cutiebe2 said:
I agree with Sareca. I DC 2x per week with braids in..or I DC once and Co wash once. I think you need more moisture. Also, I only use soap every three weeks or so. I did this last time and still didn't have matting because I don't use a heavy daily spray (Jamaican Mango and Lime No more Itch gro spray) and when I take my braids out I first saturate them with conditioner.
Next time try DCing more. Do everything you would normally do but with the braids instead of your hair out.
hth!

I have no idea how Robin's hair does so well w/o DC'g. :huh: :ohwell:

cutiebe2

sareca said:
I have no idea how Robin's hair does so well w/o DC'g. :huh: :ohwell:
On her site I though she said to use LeKlaire colestrol. I don't use that because its a little too much protein for my natural hair. But yeah, after my first CAG cycle I learned that I have to DC a lot if I want soft moisturized hair when I take that braids out

flower

Thanks ladies for the replies. Do you'll think that pre-pooing my braids with mayo will help? I am trying to find a homemade deep conditioner concotion.

Sareca> What did you do to improve your hair line?

hothair

flower said:
I have been using this method for two years. I believe I may be doing something wrong because my hair should be longer. Please respond if you have any suggestions.

My rountine is as follows while in braids:

1.) Wash hair 1x a week with diluted Dudu Osun Black Soap
2.) Spray hair with braid concoction nightly( aloe vera juice, castor oil, lecthin,glycerin, and rosemary oil)

My rountine is as follows while in out of Braids:

1.) Deep Condition with henna, wash with black soap
2.) Wear afro puff or flat twist for 2 weeks
3.) Get braids

I've never used Dudu Osun on my hair but I know even on my skin I have to limit the times i use it to maybe 2-3 times a week especially in the winter as it can be VERY drying......