Crown & Glory Challenge 2014

Austro-Afrikana

Hi guys. Would anyone be interested in joining me on my Crown & Glory Challenge?

I transitioned with this method and it got me to MBL. I am going back to it because it seems to be the only thing that has worked for my fine, split prone hair :look:.

The Crown & Glory regimen involves using long-term protective styling and low manipulation. You stay in braids for up to 2 months and then out of braids for at least 2 weeks. When out of braids you must DC weekly and you must protective style. You can use weaves, twists, canerows or braids for this challenge but I prefer braids :grin:

For all methods the braids should not be too small. For the braid extensions regimen in particular you need to install pencil sized braids - the parts should be no smaller than a quarter of an inch and you should not add more braiding hair than the hair in the part. I always use Xpressions braiding hair and will soak the hair in a vinegar water solution to remove the alkaline base - if I do not do this then the hair will itch A LOT.

It normally takes me 6-8 hours to install my braids then I dip the ends in hot water to seal them. I will run my braids under the shower after I am finished to help the braids fall into place and to loosen them a bit. I will then sponge moisturise my braids with a strengthener (I am currently using ApHogee Pro-vitamin) and a moisturiser (African Pride).

Sponge moisturising ensures that your hair is really moisturised as simply spraying your hair may not be enough to saturate all your hair. I have two tubs - one with the ApHogee and one with the African Pride - I use a soft bath sponge and dip it in the liquid then squeeze the sponge over my braids over the sink. I will use the strengthener once a week after washing my braids and the moisturiser daily. I do not sponge moisturise daily as that is not necessary - I will maybe do this twice in the week - but I still spray my hair with African Pride daily!

I also use the sponge to wash my hair. I get a tub and pour some shampoo in then fill with water. I soak the sponge in it and squeeze it over my braids and scalp. I do not like to rub my scalp or braids as this messes them up too much. I DO NOT condition whilst in braids as this will cause build up. the sponge moisturising is enough.

I redo the perimeter of my hair every two weeks as this area gets the most build up. Also, this helps in preserving the style. I will usually keep my braids in for 6 weeks before removing.

When removing my braids I usually will not have much build up as I shampoo my braids and redo the perimeter. But the hair will usually be slightly matted at the root. I will spray it with braid spray and pull apart lightly with my fingers. I will then coat with coconut oil and detangle with my Denman brush. I will do this for every single braid so this takes aaaages. Your hair should be really soft after taking out your braids!!

I will then wash in sections and will give myself a protein treatment followed by a moisturising one. I will keep my hair in a donut bun until my next wash - I do not redo the bun at all during the week. Within 4-6 weeks I will put my hair back in braids.

When I was doing this before I retained 6 inches every year - I did this for 3 years. This is where I got it from http://growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html. The thing that makes this different to just wearing braids is the emphasis on strengthening and moisturising, particularly the sponge moisturising - my hair was always soooooo soft after taking out my braids.

If you would like to join the challenge please thank this post and/or respond to this thread and post your starting measurements and your goals. You must check in whenever you install or remove your braids and you must measure your hair whenever you install or remove your braids. I usually measure with a tape measure.

I'll start then :grin:

Current length: MBL
Front: 16 inches
Middle: 20.5 inches
Back:18 inches
Sides: 17 inches
Goal for 2014: WL and retain 6 inches

I installed my braids on 28/12/13 and plan to take them out on 08/02/14 - 6 weeks.

Challengers
Austro-Afrikana
Kim0105
beauti
Chula
DanceOnTheSkylines
SunySydeofLyfe
SkySurfer
DoDo
Froreal3
g.lo
ilong
MoniintheMiddle
TraciChanel
lulu97
ajluvshair
sweetface252
kandegirl
HoneyB
Sumra
JerriBlank
almond eyes
lalla
jessicarabbit
DiamondDivyne
niquezeke
mshoneyfly
Haddasah
Gr8ness83
CarLiTa
Lady Esquire
tiajanae
Firstborn2
naija24
djkforeal
lovestarr
shortdub78
Sweet_Ambrosia
baddison

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Thinking about this...only problem is I have lots of leave ins and moisturizers etc. to use up. :look: Can't do that in braids. :ohwell:

Still contemplating.

Kim0105

I renewed my subscription just to join this challenge. I big chopped 3 weeks ago and have approximately 3" all around. I will install my braids this weekend. I will keep them in for 6 weeks and out for 4 weeks. This will help me to not manipulate my hair too much. Will come back and post pics of my braids.

beauti

yaayyyy!! Let's DO this!
Current length: not sure...either bsl or mbl...y'all help me out
Goal length: wl short term goal
Think I will braid my hair up later this month. I do it myself so I dread it!

Attachments

• IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 114
  • PicsArt_1388599193316.jpg
    PicsArt_1388599193316.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 137

SkySurfer

Thanks for the tag!
I'm in :)
Already have my crochet braids installed :)
Moisturise daily with S-curl, DC every 10 days.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Can you use your own hair for this challenge and take it down every 4 weeks instead?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Can you use your own hair for this challenge and take it down every 4 weeks instead?

In previous Crown & Glory challenges people were doing this. I think I might try it this way...that way I get the best of both worlds. I can wear my own hair, use my products, wash the braids (under a wig cap) etc. Only thing I'm worried about is the frizzies. :look:

g.lo

I would love to join,but I am wigging with cornrows underneath. I can only keep the cornrows for 3 weeks max.

Austro-Afrikana

g.lo You can do the crown & glory method with weaves, wigs, canerows, with or without extensions. The braids extensions regimen is just the main method people use.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I am joining!

This is the challenge for me since I used to be a religious box braid girl. This time though I get to do it right!:yep:

Saga

The Generous Queen
Current length: CBL-APL
Front: 10 1/2 inches
Crown: 10 inches
Nape:8 inches
Sides: 9 1/2 - 10 inches
Goal for 2014: BSL and retain 4-6 inches

Gonna rock braids underneath wigs for a maximum of 2 months., minimum of 6 weeks

Attachments

• 2014-01-01 17.36.52.jpg
    2014-01-01 17.36.52.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 2014-01-01 17.37.29.jpg
    2014-01-01 17.37.29.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 179

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Current length: BSL
Front: 11 inches
Middle: 12 inches
Back:12 inches
Sides: 10 & 11 inches
Goal for 2014: WL and retain 6 inches

I've decided to join. I'll use my own hair and keep medium sized braids in for four weeks to reduce manipulation. After that I'll decide whether to install a set of twists or braids with extensions. I know that these will last longer than my real hair.

Attachments

• Hair Dec 28 Back.jpg
    Hair Dec 28 Back.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 150

ajluvshair

I am so in! I have been in box braids for 6 weeks at a time and taking a 2-3 week break since August and I have retained sooo much length. My hair has never been healthier. I am deep conditioning once a week with products that do not give me build up. I am currently a bit past shoulder length and I would like to make it to WL by December 2014.

ilong

God's Own
Austro-Afrikana - thanks for the tag and starting this challenge. Count me in!
Thanks for the sponge suggestion also - I plan to pick up a couple tomorrow to use.

beauti - ITA with Austro-Afrikana. I think you are my dream goal MBL.:yep: I already mentioned in the other thread that I will post a pic tomorrow.

DoDo, g.lo - @ Alta Angel posted in Austro-Afrikana's other C&G thread that she had great success using the C&G method on her own hair. She detailed her technique.

ajluvshair - would you mind sharing what products you use for deep conditioning that don't cause build-up? It would be a fantastic help for me (and I'm sure others as well). TIA

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Thanks for the tag! I love braids...I've been getting braids a few times a year since my teenage years, so they are a definite staple style in my regimen. My favorite are senegalese twists. I will come back and join officially around May when I get some installed.

ilong

God's Own
Here are my details:

Current Length: Grazing APL
Measurements: NA - my hair is already in braids/senegalese twists combo so I can't measure.
2014 Goals: BSL by June: MBL by December
PS Install date: Braids/Senegalese twists combo Installed 12/31/14
PICS:
Schedule*:
Install 12/31/13
(Remove:3/1/14) Removed 1/21/14
(Rest: 3/3/14) Rest 1/22/14

I won't install anymore twists/braid extensions due to damage from the most recent install. I will update my schedule below after I decide on a new regimen.

Install: 3/22/14
Remove: 5/24/14
Rest:5/26/14
Install: 6/16/14
Remove: 8/2/14
Rest: 8/4/14
Install: 8/15/14
Remove: 10/18/14
Rest: 10/19/14
Install: 11/1/14
Remove:12/27
*Subject to slight changes based upon personal/business schedule

***************** Goal Reached 12/31/14******************
(Yes, I am claiming that I WILL ACHIEVE my goal and the victory is mine!)

Having a plan will help me succeed. My above schedule will help me stay on top of my hair and the challenge as well as help me achieve my goal.

Last edited:

Austro-Afrikana

ilong I need to create a schedule like that too! I kind of already did in my phone calendar but I already messed that up slightly as I put my braids in a week early lol. I need to write ny schedule down in here so it is easier to see.

I will post pics of my braids after work.

SunySydeofLyfe

All this braid talk makes me want to braid my hair too...then I realize after I finish DDs I'm not going to even much want to be bothered. ..ham mercy. Maybe just maybe. ..

Suny

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Considering getting a couple packs of kanekalon tomorrow and installing some medium sized braids or Senagalese twists over the weekend because I don't think my own hair will look right after 4 weeks. :look:

HoneyB

I'm in! I'm currently in Sengalese Twists and will be removing them in 2 weeks. I'll wash and do a protein treatment, then reinstall (box braids) on 1/19.

Current Length: Shoulder Length
* Will post exact measurements after removal
Goal: Full APL by Dec. 2014 (will be trimming heat-damage)

I'll post pics this weekend.

Last edited:

SkySurfer

Moisturised my cornrows under the crochet weave today.
I can't wait to give my hair a good trim after this. However much it has grown by, after I take out these braids, I want to trim at least half of that off.

BonBon

Its been a long time since officially doing a crown and glory challenge.

However I braided my real hair and only took it out 1x per month last year and retained 5.5"

I'm in:grin:.

Will be back with measurements

Left Crown : 9.5"
Left Nape: Near 8.5"
Front left: 9"

Last edited: