Crown & Glory Challenge 2014

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Just cowashed my braids (own hair). They look frizzy, but I don't mind because they made me look bald before. :nono:

Did a light protein treatment on my braids with Silk Dreams Mocha Silk Infusion, used Oyin Hair Dew to moisturize, sealed them with Hairveda Vatika Frosting, and added a little My Honey Child Buttery Soy to the ends. :lick:

mshoneyfly

Hi Ladies!
I have about 2 more weeks before rebraiding. I've texturized and henna'd two times. I will get in one more henna, a fenugreek paste and several DCs before rebraiding.

Right now I have applied a catnip tea rinse to my hair with peppermint EO and now wearing a conditioning cap. Catnip is supposed to be a great hair conditioner so this is what I will use to condition my braids. I cant see myself applying reg creamy conditioner to braids; even if diluted but I will try a diluted shampoo in a color app bottle. For protective styling, I am doing a faux high bun.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Haddasah

Checking in: Cowashed with As I Am Coconut cowashed yesterday, oiled scalp with JBCO and EVCO. Today Im putting in my leave-in and oiling again
I already have new growth with my crochet braids, installed 12/30/13
I would love to keep them in longer but may remove at the end of February,

Im thinking of taking a plunge and getting some virgin hair with a frontal. It would last me the year and I could just install and reinstall it

Gr8ness83

I installed my braids on Tuesday. I still have the crown to do which I'll do today. I spray my braids daily with a leave in I mixed up and some braid spray. I oil my scalp with an oil mixture (vatika, alma, grape seed and others) and castor oil. I focus tea tree oil on the front bang area where I saw some dry flaky scalp. Before I put my braids in I've never had dry scalp or dandruff it started while I had my sew in, I had a silk base closure so I think it may be because my scalp wasn't getting a lot of air. I stopped using shampoo on my hair, I used ACV rinse then Aphogee protein treatment followed by Silicon mix deep contritioner and my hair was buttery soft. I trimmed my hair, didn't have a have a lot to trim though. I soaked the braiding hair in water with vinegar and it's amazing the difference that makes. Usually my scalp would be itching already, it hasn't felt itchy at all. I plan on keeping these in until March 11, redoing the perimeter every 2 weeks, then installing them again on March 25th and leaving those in until May 13th. My SO birthday is on May 20th, hopefully I get enough growth where I can do something real nice with my hair.... Also I won a cruise to the Bahamas and I I wand to go for my birthday in December so I am trying to grow as much as possible, I don't want I wear any weaves , braids, artificial nails or anything. This year is a year for growth ! Lol. I am taking my vitamins, exercising, drinking plenty of water and protective styles. I might give this inversion thing a try once a month as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Chula

Checking in, I installed last weekend & I may only keep these 3 wks total instead of touching up every 2 wks. I went short for a change which at 1st I hated. I went ole school & burned my ends to get a bob, but it irritated my neck. So I clipped my ends & waved them up like my last set. I oiled my scalp w/castor & argan oil & massaged. I'll be co-washing on Wednesday, then taking down to deep condition & reinstall the weekend of the 8th.

TraciChanel

Checking in! I also just installed my braids last week. I plan on keeping them in until the second week of February. Then I'll redo.

Good luck ladies!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Gr8ness83

I have a question, how soon after you install braids do you usually notice your hair growing and them becoming loose? I know the first few days they are fairly snug against the scalp but it's only been a few days and from what I recall about my hair in box braids, I am feeling them becoming "looser" far sooner than normal. The last time I had braids in my hair I was not taking all these vitamins or oiling my scalp the way that I am so it may be that my growth rate has sped up.... Idk. I'm going to take pics weekly of the same spots so I can try to track how it grows....

djkforeal

Hi,
I would like to join this challenge. I have been a fan since I first found out about the Crown and Glory method in '08, so I have been braiding my own hair for a few years now under my wigs and it has worked for me in gaining and retaining length. My current length is full BSL and maybe a little past that. I am going to change my siggy this weekend to reflect my current length. I just braided my hair again on 1/21/14 after naturally coloring my hair and using just leave in conditioner. I wanted to put coconut oil on the ends of each braid but was too lazy to go and get it out the fridge, so I just used Carols Daughter hair balm on the ends. I am using nature's blessings grease on my scalp and edges and want to incorporate a more balanced protein and moisture regimen this year, especially protein but I don't want to overload.
I am going to continue to read through this post and catch up on what you ladies are doing for this challenge.

Shalay11

image-3966783302.jpg

Got my full sew in today.. My goal is to keep it in for 4 months and retain no less than 2 full inches

Chula

I have a question, how soon after you install braids do you usually notice your hair growing and them becoming loose? I know the first few days they are fairly snug against the scalp but it's only been a few days and from what I recall about my hair in box braids, I am feeling them becoming "looser" far sooner than normal. The last time I had braids in my hair I was not taking all these vitamins or oiling my scalp the way that I am so it may be that my growth rate has sped up.... Idk. I'm going to take pics weekly of the same spots so I can try to track how it grows....

For me it takes about a week or so before I see any growth. But each is different. You may see growth because of the routine you're doing. Or possibly slippage. I'm hoping for growth tho! HTH

Gr8ness83

For me it takes about a week or so before I see any growth. But each is different. You may see growth because of the routine you're doing. Or possibly slippage. I'm hoping for growth tho! HTH

I definitely thought slippage but I haven't been manipulating it and I get virtually no slippage when I braid my own hair. I've been doing my own hair in some shape or fashion since I was 15-16. I used to get slippage but now they stay put. I installed these on Tuesday and now 3 days later I'm feeling what I am sure is growth. I'm pretty excited about that! The fair on my arms is the longest it's ever been and my nails are as hard as rocks so I know the vitamins and water routine has been working. Well I'll see in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

jessicarabbit

Took my cornrows out and am currently doing a prepoo with conditioner and oil. Im feeling lazy, so im not sure if i want to wash it out tonight or do an overnight prepoo. Either way, im getting rebraided again tomorrow for another 2 weeks. This time around, i will not cowash, as that shortens the life of my braids.ill just spritz and oil daily.

Chula

I definitely thought slippage but I haven't been manipulating it and I get virtually no slippage when I braid my own hair. I've been doing my own hair in some shape or fashion since I was 15-16. I used to get slippage but now they stay put. I installed these on Tuesday and now 3 days later I'm feeling what I am sure is growth. I'm pretty excited about that! The fair on my arms is the longest it's ever been and my nails are as hard as rocks so I know the vitamins and water routine has been working. Well I'll see in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

I hear ya, I've been doing my own braids since I was in high school too so you know when its growth vs. slippage. What vits are you taking? I wanted to get biotin, but it breaks me out.

Gr8ness83

I hear ya, I've been doing my own braids since I was in high school too so you know when its growth vs. slippage. What vits are you taking? I wanted to get biotin, but it breaks me out.

Yeah, the first time I went I get my hair braided by a "professional" I just about passed out when he quoted me the price. I was so mad because all of that just to have my edges tugged and ripped. Smh. But anyway, I take 10,000mcg biotin and B Complex with 1 tablet of Viviscal in the morning and a heaping tbsp of msm powder with 4-8 oz orange juice. I drink at least 2 liters of water throughout the day and in the evening I take Hairfinity, Viviscal and Folic acid. I incorporated Viviscal because I accidentally ordered it when it was in my Amazon cart. I also added vitamin D because I have a severe deficiency. I have been taking biotin, B Complex and Hairfinity for over 6 consecutive months now, I definitely see a difference. If I don't drink enough water then I see little red "faux bumps" on my cheeks but I guzzle down some water and they are gone by the next day. I have never had any acne or real bumps from biotin but I have always taken it with B Complex and a large glass of water. I am hoping I can be diligent enough to keep my hair braided up all year. I feel like a 12 year old child with these braids in but it's all for the cause....

Chula

Yeah, the first time I went I get my hair braided by a "professional" I just about passed out when he quoted me the price. I was so mad because all of that just to have my edges tugged and ripped. Smh. But anyway, I take 10,000mcg biotin and B Complex with 1 tablet of Viviscal in the morning and a heaping tbsp of msm powder with 4-8 oz orange juice. I drink at least 2 liters of water throughout the day and in the evening I take Hairfinity, Viviscal and Folic acid. I incorporated Viviscal because I accidentally ordered it when it was in my Amazon cart. I also added vitamin D because I have a severe deficiency. I have been taking biotin, B Complex and Hairfinity for over 6 consecutive months now, I definitely see a difference. If I don't drink enough water then I see little red "faux bumps" on my cheeks but I guzzle down some water and they are gone by the next day. I have never had any acne or real bumps from biotin but I have always taken it with B Complex and a large glass of water. I am hoping I can be diligent enough to keep my hair braided up all year. I feel like a 12 year old child with these braids in but it's all for the cause....

Wow, now thats dedication! I would never remember to take all of that! But it sounds like you got it down. I'm gonna do some research to see if there is a good hair vit that doesn't contain biotin. Or at least a small amount. I've never been good at drinking a lot of water, however, that is one of my new years goals. I think im doing good if I drink 2 1/2 bottles! Great goal to keep your braids all year, I was going til June, then relax it, trim or cut depending on the condition of it, then reinstall in the fall. Thats a big maybe tho, I may wait to relax in the fall. We'll see. Do you have box braids? I feel like a big ole kid with those in my head too! Lol so I've been switchin up my style. I'll post a oic later of my new set. I'm doing twists next.

Gr8ness83

Wow, now thats dedication! I would never remember to take all of that! But it sounds like you got it down. I'm gonna do some research to see if there is a good hair vit that doesn't contain biotin. Or at least a small amount. I've never been good at drinking a lot of water, however, that is one of my new years goals. I think im doing good if I drink 2 1/2 bottles! Great goal to keep your braids all year, I was going til June, then relax it, trim or cut depending on the condition of it, then reinstall in the fall. Thats a big maybe tho, I may wait to relax in the fall. We'll see. Do you have box braids? I feel like a big ole kid with those in my head too! Lol so I've been switchin up my style. I'll post a oic later of my new set. I'm doing twists next.

It took a while for me to get my routine down but now it's basically automatic. I leave for work at 4:45 am so when I first began taking them I forgot a lot because it was too damn early. Lol. I just started sipping 8 oz of water with 2 tsp ACV, I can't speak on how well that's working yet. I'd imagine the chances of finding a hair vitamin that does not contain biotin are pretty slim seeing as biotin is so beneficial, shoot, I wouldn't take a hair vitamin that does not contain biotin. Lol. You may just be better off stacking your vitamins, maybe adding some protein. It sucks that biotin is soo friggin good for your hair and nails but jacks up the skin so much.

tiajanae

Current length: MBL about 16 inches all around
Goal for 2014: WL and retain 6 inches

I installed my braids on 12/06/2013 and will be taking out on 2/12/2014 (about 10 weeks). will get my next install 3/14/2014 as i have baby shower and maternity photos coming in the month of february and early march. I dont currently have a photo as my hair is in braids but once i take these out i will definitely post photo.

i plan on washing weekly, deep conditioning the braids biweekly, taking my fish oil, mineral rich, bamboo extract, and hairfinity while also massaging my gro-aut hair growth oil in twice per week. I'll keeping braids in for 10-12 week stretches except the month of September (birthday) and December (wedding). I will take out braid and get hair done only on these two occasions. Anxious to see how much length i can retain this year!

Gr8ness83

For those who have box braids in their hair, does your scalp start getting sensitive after a week or so? I soaked the hair in water with vinegar so I have had virtually no itching so I know I am not irritating the scalp from that. I have med-large parts in my hair and I was especially careful while braiding my hairline. I even praided on an angle in the direction that I would be wearing them the most so I know they are not pulling from weight causing the sensitivity. I oil and massage my scalp almost daily and do so gently, I am sort of sonfused... Maybe its because I was not able to just wear them down for a week or so, I've had to pull them back into a bun.... On a positive note, my SO was out of town and had not seen me since I put them in and when he saw me last night he could not believe that I put them in myself. I guess I could take that as a backward *** compliment....lol

Chula

For those who have box braids in their hair, does your scalp start getting sensitive after a week or so? I soaked the hair in water with vinegar so I have had virtually no itching so I know I am not irritating the scalp from that. I have med-large parts in my hair and I was especially careful while braiding my hairline. I even praided on an angle in the direction that I would be wearing them the most so I know they are not pulling from weight causing the sensitivity. I oil and massage my scalp almost daily and do so gently, I am sort of sonfused... Maybe its because I was not able to just wear them down for a week or so, I've had to pull them back into a bun.... On a positive note, my SO was out of town and had not seen me since I put them in and when he saw me last night he could not believe that I put them in myself. I guess I could take that as a backward *** compliment....lol

What do you mean by sensitive? Like tingly when you use peppermint oil, or pulling? I notice when I wear my braids up for a week or so at 1st, then put them down, it feels a lil weird for about a day or so. But that's with new braids. I think the change in direction of the braid is what you're feeling. But with more new growth, and/or time it'll pass. I hope that made sense.

Gr8ness83

What do you mean by sensitive? Like tingly when you use peppermint oil, or pulling? I notice when I wear my braids up for a week or so at 1st, then put them down, it feels a lil weird for about a day or so. But that's with new braids. I think the change in direction of the braid is what you're feeling. But with more new growth, and/or time it'll pass. I hope that made sense.

Yes that made perfect sense..... It's sensitive like when braids are too tight and little bumps appear on the scalp. Like when hair gets ripped out from styling. I don't have any bumps from what I can see/feel and no hair has been ripped out. I did not braid them tightly, they are actually looser than what they were last week, I've got some definite growth... I loosened some of braids from the bun I had them in today. I directed the braids to the left but I normally direct them to the right so that's probably exactly what I was feeling. It might not have been so bad if I just had them directed that way while they were lose and not pulled up in a bun. By no means did I put my hair in a tight ponytail but the change in direction long with having been put up in the bun may be the cause. Thanks...!

Gr8ness83

Oh how I LOVE aloe....! My scalp was drying and flaking and turned out that it was red and sore (inflammed) in places which confused me bc I have never had any issues like that before and my braids were not even tight. I was about to take my braids out but I decided to try something before I resorted to that. I had an applicator bottle with diluted shampoo in it and I put a little on my scalp and massaged it in and put some tea tree oil on my scalp and massaged some more. I rinsed it out by leaning my head over the sink and using a cup of water to rinse just the diluted shampoo out, I didn't want my braids to get wet because I was about to go to bed and I didn't want the weight from the wet braids to add stress. I patted it dry and cut some aloe leaf up and massaged the aloe in using the leaf. It felt soooo good and when I woke up this morning the redness and inflammation was gone. It looked and felt normal.... Man I love aloe...! Crisis diverted... Lol

CarLiTa

Guys, I got kinky twists less than TWO weeks ago. Why are they so fuzzy and why are several of them 90% unraveled???

It looks like I've had them in for months at this point. I'm taking them out this weekend, I think. Heck, maybe even tomorrow.

But why is this happening? Anyone know? If it helps to know, my hair is natural, fine, and very prone to frizziness.

Gr8ness83

Guys, I got kinky twists less than TWO weeks ago. Why are they so fuzzy and why are several of them 90% unraveled???

It looks like I've had them in for months at this point. I'm taking them out this weekend, I think. Heck, maybe even tomorrow.

But why is this happening? Anyone know? If it helps to know, my hair is natural, fine, and very prone to frizziness.

I had Senegeles twists last yer and they were looking bad in about 2-3 weeks. Maybe you need to use a different kind of hair or take smaller sections of your own hair. Also if they did not use a pomade or something for your hair then it will frizz sooner. If you work out and swet a lot, that could be a factor but idk about the unraveling, I've never seen nor heard of them unraveling so shortly after being done. Were the ends boiled? I out my braids in last Tuesday and I have yet to seal the ends any they are only unraveling a little bit. HTH and I hope you figure it out and can salvage they style so you won't feel like you just threw away money....

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Took my braids out yesterday. Have my hair in two loose braids on either sidr
e of my head.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

kandegirl

View attachment 243649

Got my full sew in today.. My goal is to keep it in for 4 months and retain no less than 2 full inches

Shalay11, cute style!

I would recommend only keep your weave up to 3 months, especially if your hair grows up to two inches or your hair grows fast. After three months, your hair can start to matt. If you do keep it four months, just be sure to detangle your hair very well before you shampoo it.