Crown & Glory Challenge 2014

CarLiTa

I had Senegeles twists last yer and they were looking bad in about 2-3 weeks. Maybe you need to use a different kind of hair or take smaller sections of your own hair. Also if they did not use a pomade or something for your hair then it will frizz sooner. If you work out and swet a lot, that could be a factor but idk about the unraveling, I've never seen nor heard of them unraveling so shortly after being done. Were the ends boiled? I out my braids in last Tuesday and I have yet to seal the ends any they are only unraveling a little bit. HTH and I hope you figure it out and can salvage they style so you won't feel like you just threw away money....

It has now been 2 weeks. I have to take them out very soon. I guess sometime this coming week. I have been doing a lot of physical activity, and generally when I work out, a lot of the sweat originates from my scalp. The ends were boiled but I'm guessing they needed more boiling. I might get a new set put in next weekend. This time with braids. That's TBD. I'll be in a new country and a friend has offered to connect me with a good hairdresser there.

ilong

God's Own
I just updated my original post (#22) in this thread. I removed my braid/twist combo.

I will still participate in this challenge (I just won't post often)- I just need to define a new regimen. The most recent set of twist/braid combo I had (installed on 12/31/13 and removed on 1/21/14) caused a lot of damage to my hair. I think the twists were too small and after twisitng the extension hair was too straight, so my own natural 4a/4b hair was sticking out (exposed).

HHJ

ajluvshair

Hi Ladies, I am in my third week of marley twists. Today I removed. Moisturized and re installed all the twists along my hairline.

Gr8ness83

I have decided to leave my braids in until around may 18th. I can redo them myself which is why it does not seem like a very long time for me. I can and will take the perimeter down in sections and do a protein treatment every 6 weeks, I am due for a protein treatment on March 3rd. The perimeter of my hair has always been more fragile and in need of more nurturing but I recall when I used to leave braids in my hair for months and months and months on end and I would redo the perimeter and take out sections and to protein treatments and DC treatments on it, my hair grew like a weed and was sooo healthy. I know this isn't the chosen "tried and true" method for wearing braids but I honestly don't feel like doing anything else to it until it has grown to my desired length. If my hair grows at the average rate then I should get at the very minimum, 2" of growth, which I will be very grateful to have but seeing as I cut off all the heat damaged hair in the FRONT of my head, I would kind of look like I 'm sporting a mullet :nono: Hopefully with all the vitamins, oils, inversion and exercise then I will get more... I can't wait to share my results!!!
(Now that I actually obligated myself to wearing these braids until May, you ladies are more than welcome to call me out if I try to take them down early....lol)

BonBon

I hope someone can help me!

I usually braid my hair and leave it for 3-4 weeks before detangling.

Do people usually take the braids out and detangle (with conditioner etc..). Or, do you wash the hair and detangle after the deep conditioner?

jessicarabbit

I hope someone can help me!

I usually braid my hair and leave it for 3-4 weeks before detangling.

Do people usually take the braids out and detangle (with conditioner etc..). Or, do you wash the hair and detangle after the deep conditioner?

always detangle before wash, i think u risk matting/dreading if.u wet ur hair before removing the shed

almond eyes

I am putting my braids in again after a break of a week and a half.

I suffered no breakage at all with my braids and did not have to rebraid my perimeter.

I credit this to the following:

1. My hair braider does not braid the front of my hair starting from the root and she does not braid tight.

2. I braid medium size

3. I do not wash my hair at all while in braids

4. I do a good protein treatment when my braids are taken out but not strong one one that has both elements of protein and moisture. My hair hairs need strengthening but not too strong.

5. I do not put anything in my hair when braiding it or after my braids are done and this is to prevent build up.

6. I keep my braids in for only six weeks max.

I only let the braiders boil the ends since I keep my braids worn very long. I tell them do not boil up to my own hair because I think that can damage your own hair. And I tell them do not use the scissors to tame the flyaways and never ever use a lighter on my braids ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the past when I used to wear braids the main issues that I had were:

Keeping them in for too long 8 weeks or more can't do that with fine hair
Braiding at the root big mistake but many people do not know how to braid without starting at the root in the front of the hair
Braiding too small
Not giving my hair a rest period
Putting in grease in my hair and not scalp and moisturising my hair with products which gave me a ton of build up and caused my hair to mat.

I am pretty happy with this method. Since I transitioning my natural hair is coming out more when it starts to really grow in I plan to blow dry during my rest period and keep my hair straight but rested without braids for at least three weeks.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

jessicarabbit

Checking in. Still in cornrows for 2 week intervals, but i think i may try for 3-4 weeks this time so i can be more surprised at my growth during take down lol. Also, my hair is in TWA phase still, so i have to blow my hair out prior to braiding each time. Im nervous about using heat on my hair every 2 weeks, so im really gonna try and stretch my braids for longer intervals.
Also adopting a natural product only regimen. Since i dont wash my hair while in braids, i dont wanna keep piling chemical after chemical on my hair for 4 weeks. So, for my twice daily leave in, i have a spray bottle of water, aloe vera gel, coconut oil,.grapeseed oil, glycerin, and rosemary oil. This knocks out m&s'ng. For cleansing after braid take down, i will use black soap and then a bentonite clay mask, then dc under heat with aohsr. Not sure what i will use to blow out my hair though, grapeseed oil? Idk.
Well, that was a lot but yeah,.gotta.document this stuff! Lol

JerriBlank

Took my braids down after almost 4 months. Awesome growth and retention! I'm braiding back up,or getting a weave asap. Not sure which one yet, but i need to decide quickly!

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I would like to join this challenge. I just finished installing my extensions, I'm tired so I will dip them in the morning and post a pic. Also, I'm currently APL and I want to reach MBL by the end of the year.

almond eyes

Took my braids down after almost 4 months. Awesome growth and retention! I'm braiding back up,or getting a weave asap. Not sure which one yet, but i need to decide quickly!

Hi JerriBlank. What are your tips? I cannot keep my braids in for four months, my fine hair couldn't take it and I have a dry scalp and it would start flaking after week four.

Best,
Almond Eyes

beauti

ok so I finally took my twists out yesterday. I'm gonna do a protein dc in a little bit. Here's what I'm gonna use:
Mayo
Egg yolk
Olive oil
Cholesterol base

I need that protein. Might follow up with an oil rinse, not sure yet. Will be weaving my hair afterwards

Austro-Afrikana

I removed my braids this weekend. I got about half an inch of growth. I wish it was more but it is better than nothing.
Front: 16.5 inches
Middle: 21 inches
Back: 18.5 inches

lovestarr

I would love to join this challenge. I did a one year protective style challenge that will be over in May and it was super easy for me. I used mostly crochet braids. I just took an install out 2 weeks ago and will wear my hair in plaits or cornrows until I figure out my next protective style. I am trying to not cut my hair anymore to see how much length I can retain this year. My last cut was in Sept mostly to the sides and nape to give it shape.

When in a PS I do not wash my hair...I have fine hair and washing messes up the style for me. I moisturize every other day with scurl moisturizer and cleanse every 2 weeks with acv/water mixture. I use an oil mix for my scalp 3x/week. I only keep a PS for 4-5 weeks but will try 6 weeks with my next install. I most likely will be trying a lace human hair wig..it's expensive but will last a year and i can easily access my hair and scalp.

Current length
Front 6 inches
Crown 7 inches
Sides 4.5 inches
Nape 5 inches

Goal: SL by end of year. Retain 6 inches

mshoneyfly

Okay...Im finally doing my yarn braids again on Saturday due to the long weekend. I have been roller setting, DCing and protein weekly and I got in 3 henna treatments.

I will do medium braids with a few strands of purple yarn mixed in a few of the braids. This time I think I will try the ACV rinse only for cleansing to avoid too much manipulation. The goal is to leave them in longer than 4 weeks and not to braid to tightly

ETA: Here is a LC pic

image-371808031.jpg

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:

Shalay11

3rd week in sew in and I've just completed my weekly wash/ deep condition . This week I used Aubrey honey suckle deep condtioner / nutrgena shampoo / water mixed with hello hydration as a leave in ... I'll squirt some coconut oil on my braids tomorrow :/).

image-2276656642.jpg

Aviah

Is anyone washing their braids weekly? If so how are you keeping them from slipping? I tried the scalp cleansing with a cotton ball, but my scalp still freaks out from itching until I actually wash it.

jessicarabbit

No, i dont wash my braids, it messes them up too much. I just hold out til take down and give a good clarify. Maybe u could wear a net or stocking cap to wash?

Aviah

jessicarabbit I think its the actual weight of the braids pulling when I wash that makes them slip. They don't actually frizz at the roots if you get what I mean, just looks like they've grown out in two weeks!

Gr8ness83

Is anyone washing their braids weekly? If so how are you keeping them from slipping? I tried the scalp cleansing with a cotton ball, but my scalp still freaks out from itching until I actually wash it.

I wash my braids every 7-14 days. I never apply just shampoo on my hair/scalp, that is too heavy and causes buildup. Normally, I would use ACV but I don't want the ACV smell so I put some oils, and shampoo in an applicator bottle with a nozzle and diluted it with water (and sometimes aloe water). After that I section my hair into about 6-8 sections and I lift my braids so they are straight out (90 degrees from the scalp) I place the nozzle close to my scalp and apply the diluted solution and massage in. I was using a cup of water to pour right on my scalp and let the water rinse out the solution but I just got another applicator bottle and filled it with water and rinsed it out. It works better for me because the cup of water tends to get too much of my braids wet. I am twisting and turning and contorting my body all different ways so it may not work if that will be an issue. I sponge wash the actual braids sometimes but only when I can tell that the oils have traveled down them to the point that it stains my scarf/pillow. Honestly, I feel that I have had more growth using this method than any other method I have used in the past. My scalp stays clean and I do not develop any smelly braids. Actually, my SO comments on how good my braids smell. He said he was surprised because usually girls have that old braid smell. HTH!

ETA: When I am finished washing the section of hair I braid it to minimize movement and slippage. If I do not have the time (4+ hours) to devote to air drying then I will blow dry the sections one at a time for about 5-8 min (more if necessary). I have virtually no slipping this way.

Last edited:

Gr8ness83

@Gr8ness83, that sounds really good I may have to try it. How long do your braids last doing this method?

I've have my braids in one month so far but in the past I have done this method and have kept them in up to 3.5 months. I redo the perimeter every couple of weeks because the growth and I don't want my edges becoming thin and breaking off due to the braids hanging off the ng... When I take out the braids to redo them I have very little buildup, I mean I can separate any little buildup with my fingertips. Actually I find that when I do not wash my hair at all then I have a high amount of breakage and I cannot leave them in as long either. My hair won't tolerate it...

Chula

Just checkin in. I re-braided over the weekend. I may post a pic. I went short again, trying not to blend it with everyone at work. Its like all of a sudden everyone has long braids or twists.

I only had my last set for 3 wks. I'll probably have these up dor the same amount of time. I oiled today w/my sulfer mix then massaged & inverted. I plan on co-washing this wkend and at least 2 more times before removal.

TraciChanel

Checking in. I was out of braids for two weeks and wore my hair in a top knot. Back in braids and wearing a sew-in so I can let my hair rest. I plan to keep it in until mid April.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

jessicarabbit

Welp im gonna relax my twa in about a week or two. I will still continue to wig/crown and glory, but i can wear half wigs, uparts, etc more naturally, and i actually use less heat with relaxed