Crown & Glory method with your own hair?

morehairplease

Ladies is this possible? I went to the salon this past weekend and got my own hair braided and I must say that I like it better than synethic hair. Can I do the crown & glory method with my own hair being braided? If so, what modifications do I need to make? Currently, I am doing the following:
-applying Boundless Tresses 2 times a day to my scalp
-baggying my entire head with vita pro fusion & sealing with Nexxus botanic oil

My plan is to keep my own hair braided for 1 month. Is there a way that I can wash/deep condition my hair without it coming undone/get too fuzzy looking?

Any advice you ladies can give would be awesome.

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

rosalindb

Hi there. Since April 2006, I have worn my hair in cornrows without extensions. I usually get them redone every two weeks. I co-wash or rinse every day. I tried the stocking cap method for the last few weeks to minimise the frizziness and it really does work

ladylibra

it's doable... last summer i had my hair cornrowed into a ponytail and wore a phony pony (baggie underneath) and my hair was just fine. i got box braid extensions after that, they not only annoyed me but dried out my hair. so i took out the extensions and re-braided each section... my short box braids thrived.

morehairplease

rosalindb said:
Hi there. Since April 2006, I have worn my hair in cornrows without extensions. I usually get them redone every two weeks. I co-wash or rinse every day. I tried the stocking cap method for the last few weeks to minimise the frizziness and it really does work

thanks rosalindb for replying! Off to search for the stocking cap method on the forum.

morehairplease

ladylibra said:
it's doable... last summer i had my hair cornrowed into a ponytail and wore a phony pony (baggie underneath) and my hair was just fine. i got box braid extensions after that, they not only annoyed me but dried out my hair. so i took out the extensions and re-braided each section... my short box braids thrived.

thanks ladylibra. I hope baggying helps me retain some length

rosalindb

tishee said:
thanks rosalindb for replying! Off to search for the stocking cap method on the forum.
You are welcome. I just put on the stocking cap and use diluted conditioner for my conditioner wash or just rinse with water on alternate days.

I also use this method when I clarify as I keep my hair in cornrows to avoid manipulating my hair too much. I just use a solution of bicarbonate of soda, wash with my shampoo bar and then follow up with diluted conditioner. In the evening when my hair is dry I then take my cornrows out and add oil for an overnight treatment and put my hair in 6 large twists.

CurlyGirly327

I also want to do C & G without using extensions. I tried using extensions about 2 years ago, and they left my hair really dry and rough, and I had a lot of breakage; I know it was the synthetic hair that damaged my hair because I applied braid spray daily, and had to deal with really gross oily build-up from it on my scalp. There's no way my scalp could be covered with oily build-up and my hair could be bone-dry UNLESS the synthetic braid hair was sucking up all the oil before it could get to my hair...

To avoid having this problem again, I'm planning to put in pencil-sized box braids this week using just my own hair. I'm planning to shampoo my braided hair twice a week, deep condition with heat, and apply leave-in strengthener and braid spray after each wash. I think I should be able to keep my hair braided for at least a month before I have to take them down completely and re-braid....

morehairplease

rosalindb said:
You are welcome. I just put on the stocking cap and use diluted conditioner for my conditioner wash or just rinse with water on alternate days.

I also use this method when I clarify as I keep my hair in cornrows to avoid manipulating my hair too much. I just use a solution of bicarbonate of soda, wash with my shampoo bar and then follow up with diluted conditioner. In the evening when my hair is dry I then take my cornrows out and add oil for an overnight treatment and put my hair in 6 large twists.

thanks rosalindb!

morehairplease

CurlyGirly327 said:
I also want to do C & G without using extensions. I tried using extensions about 2 years ago, and they left my hair really dry and rough, and I had a lot of breakage; I know it was the synthetic hair that damaged my hair because I applied braid spray daily, and had to deal with really gross oily build-up from it on my scalp. There's no way my scalp could be covered with oily build-up and my hair could be bone-dry UNLESS the synthetic braid hair was sucking up all the oil before it could get to my hair...

To avoid having this problem again, I'm planning to put in pencil-sized box braids this week using just my own hair. I'm planning to shampoo my braided hair twice a week, deep condition with heat, and apply leave-in strengthener and braid spray after each wash. I think I should be able to keep my hair braided for at least a month before I have to take them down completely and re-braid....

this is exactly what I plan on doing.

morehairplease

ladies are you using black rubberbands at the ends of your braids? If not, could you post what you are using for me please?

thanks in advance,
tishee

MizAvalon

I have done cornrows with my own hair for many years and it's great. They so start to look fuzzy and rough after a couple of weeks though so I don't leave them in any longer than that.

SparklingFlame

rosalindb said:
I co-sign that. It really really works. Heres how the method works:

You put a stocking cap on over braids or twists so that when you wash them, you won't have any frizzies. Pour whatever you are going to use to wash your hair with, be it conditioner or shampoo in a cup and dilute it some with warm water. Get in the shower and pour it over your head. Don't rub, just kinda pat it. Too much rubbing will cause the hair to frizz a little bit. Rinse it and repeat as many times as nessesary. Press on your head with the cap on until you get as much of the water out and then take a towel and press against your hair (with the cap still on). By this time my hair is practically dry. Take your cap off and firmly press it against your head to absorb any more excess water. Then I shake my head like I'm saying no for a while to shake off any more water and then my hair is basically dry. No frizz, no detangling and minimal shrinkage.
HTH!

SparklingFlame

MizAvalon said:
I have done cornrows with my own hair for many years and it's great. They so start to look fuzzy and rough after a couple of weeks though so I don't leave them in any longer than that.
Yeah mine too. I just took out my cornrows that I wore for two weeks. It hurt to do it but they were looking tore up! :lol:

rosalindb

naturallady said:

You put a stocking cap on over braids or twists so that when you wash them, you won't have any frizzies. Pour whatever you are going to use to wash your hair with, be it conditioner or shampoo in a cup and dilute it some with warm water. Get in the shower and pour it over your head. Don't rub, just kinda pat it. Too much rubbing will cause the hair to frizz a little bit. Rinse it and repeat as many times as nessesary. Press on your head with the cap on until you get as much of the water out and then take a towel and press against your hair (with the cap still on). By this time my hair is practically dry. Take your cap off and firmly press it against your head to absorb any more excess water. Then I shake my head like I'm saying no for a while to shake off any more water and then my hair is basically dry. No frizz, no detangling and minimal shrinkage.
HTH!
I got the idea from you and Den1, I do not wash my cornrows any other way now.

SparklingFlame

rosalindb said:
I got the idea from you and Den1, I do not wash my cornrows any other way now.
Its the bomb, right?
Sometimes I wash my hair loose so that I can brush my hair while wet with the Denmanto get the shed hair out to avoid massive knots on the ends.

rosalindb

naturallady said:
Its the bomb, right?
Sometimes I wash my hair loose so that I can brush my hair while wet with the Denmanto get the shed hair out to avoid massive knots on the ends.
Yes, I do this every two weeks when I take out my cornrows. I do my pre-poo treatment, shampoo, condition, and detangle with my Denman and then get it recornrowed.

Last edited:

Mook's hair

YEs, I do C& G by just cornrowing my own hair. now that my hair is longer, I don't feel the need to add extra hair at the ends.

I do not use rubberbands. I lightly spray the ends of the braids with moisturizer, add an end paper and spital them on flexi rods. once they are dry, they don't unravel on me.

The stocking cap wash sounds like a great idea, I'm going to have to try that.
I usually wash my hair and scalp with a washcloth. and hot water, sometimes I add conditioner or shampoo but usually I'm good with just water. I have found that saturating my cornrows loosens them too much and then they get fuzzy. so I just get them semi wet.

I've never experienced any oily buildup and I use African Royal braid spray 2 or 3 times a day. But again...I clean my scalp every other day with a wet cloth.

jayjaycurlz

naturallady said:

HTH!

NL, I was wondering if you can DC your natural hair while in cornrows? Does anyone else know if this could also be done with DC appiled directly to the scalp and a shower cap for 15 mins under a dryer or would you still use the stocking cap? I'm in cornrows now and would still like to stick to my weekly DC challenge.

Thanks!

SparklingFlame

jayjaycurlz said:
NL, I was wondering if you can DC your natural hair while in cornrows? Does anyone else know if this could also be done with DC appiled directly to the scalp and a shower cap for 15 mins under a dryer or would you still use the stocking cap? I'm in cornrows now and would still like to stick to my weekly DC challenge.

Thanks!
I think it can be done with success. Try it and let me know how it works. It certainly cant hurt!

turnergirl

I deep condition, clarify, hot oil and everything in braids. It's the only way to go. I also only use my real hair. It can be hard enough to keep the hair moisturized on it's own. There is no need to have other stuff blocking the moisture. Good luck

morehairplease

turnergirl said:
I deep condition, clarify, hot oil and everything in braids. It's the only way to go. I also only use my real hair. It can be hard enough to keep the hair moisturized on it's own. There is no need to have other stuff blocking the moisture. Good luck

thanks turnergirl for replying. do you mind telling me exactly how you do each of these while in braids?

thanks in advance,
tishee