Curl Away?

Lucia

Ok I need a hair chemist to ID the relaxer part of this
looks like it's natural mostly

Curl away relaxer

Ingredients:

Patented Curlaway Curl Relaxer contains naturally-derived aqueous acetic acid (pH lowering agent) with PEG 400 monostearate (emulsifier) d-panthenol, MSM (both conditioners), grapeseed oil (moisturizer) and fragrances.

DarkVictory

While we're waiting for the chemist to show up...

More or less the same ingredients as Mega-Tek.

Ingredients:
Deionized water, PEG 400 monostearate, dimethylsulfone (MSM), natural acetic acid, grapeseed oil, xanthan gum, fragrance

Tiye

Ok I need a hair chemist to ID the relaxer part of this
looks like it's natural mostly

Curl away relaxer

Ingredients:

Patented Curlaway Curl Relaxer contains naturally-derived aqueous acetic acid (pH lowering agent) with PEG 400 monostearate (emulsifier) d-panthenol, MSM (both conditioners), grapeseed oil (moisturizer) and fragrances.

Acid perm??

I'm not a hair chemist but I have a copy of Milady. Acid can be used to break and reform hair bonds. It doesn't work for most afro hair though.

They should be more specific with their labeling coz acid can burn. Any relaxer can play up their additives - shea butter, grapeseed oil, etc., and call the relaxing agent "acqueous alkali water".

lilikoi

Ingredients:

Fancy way to say diluted apple cider vinegar?

Hmmm on their website it says that the acetic acid breaks down hydrogen bonds in the hair. These are the same bonds that are broken down when you flatiron or press your hair (from what I remember). So basically I think the product is chemically degrading those bonds so that it makes it easier for your hair to straighten.

I honestly think the product is composed of concentrated acetic acid. I read some reviews and most complain of an extremely strong vinegary smell.

I would love to see pictures of what those persons who claim that it actually straightens their hair over time. From what I remember from my old chem days, is that hydrogen bonds are easy to form, so how would the hair stay permanently straight?

yodie

I used the old formula a long time ago. It relaxed my curl enough and didn't break my hair. Kinda smelled like apples, but the smell wasn't bad (IMO). I remember my hair feeling a little rough, not smooth. I only applied it to a portion of my hair, not the entire head.

CandyCurls

.................................................. ......

Last edited:

Lucia

Acid perm??

I'm not a hair chemist but I have a copy of Milady. Acid can be used to break and reform hair bonds. It doesn't work for most afro hair though.

They should be more specific with their labeling coz acid can burn. Any relaxer can play up their additives - shea butter, grapeseed oil, etc., and call the relaxing agent "acqueous alkali water".

they're marketing it to afro-decent people mostly though, I don't know how much it will dry hair out though seeing as they're saying it's "natural" and therefore "safe" I guess since there's no lye in it they can claim that.

yodie said:
used the old formula a long time ago. It relaxed my curl enough and didn't break my hair. Kinda smelled like apples, but the smell wasn't bad (IMO). I remember my hair feeling a little rough, not smooth. I only applied it to a portion of my hair, not the entire head.

Vee vee said:
I can say it does NOT permanently straighten. My curls went right back after a couple of weeks.

So if it dries your hair out, possibly damaging it and the effects don't last what a waste of money and time.

Acid perm??

I think this is different from acid perms. I just did a quick read on them and it seems they actually break down disulfide bonds just like relaxers. And this product states that it doesn't do that. Plus most of the reviews I've seen said their hair didn't become stick straight like a relaxer. So I'm figuring it doesn't work that way.

I used this last summer and I would put my hair in bands (kind of like a ponytail roller set) and then stretch the ponytails out and pin them across my head (it has to dry straight in order for it to work). I could definitely tell my hair in the front and back was starting to get looser but my hair at the top is very resistant and hard to get straight, so I gave up. Plus, some other ladies on this board and on BHM said that it made their hair dry, so that kind of made me stop using it. I can't say whether it did any damage to my hair, because I was doing a lot of bad things to my hair last year (trying to blowdry and flat iron twice a week and overall too much manipulation).

I can say it does NOT permanently straighten. My curls went right back after a couple of weeks.

Thanks for this, I didn't know it was THAT intricate. Just ran off to look at the directions on the website, and I was thinking that seems like a lot of work. But I guess if you do it several times for the week then I guess it would loosen the curl because it's not allowing the hydrogen bonds to reform and keep the original curl pattern. And like you said, when you stopped using it your hair went back to normal.

CandyCurls

Last edited:

CandyCurls

Last edited:

keepithealthy

I tried using this when I first wanted to stop relaxing. That product is what led me to the web and eventually to this site, where I decided to just go natural. The smell is really strong. I ended up returning it.