Curlformer Experts, Advice and Tips

Songbirdb

Ladies, I know some of you in here are curlformer experts, but to those of us who aren't, give us some advice! I just put mine on but in the process, I pulled out strand after strand, and there were times I would try and pull the hook through and it would get stuck in other mounds of hair and snag on the plastic. I'm not the only one that's having difficulty so help some sistas out and tell us where we went wrong and give us all the help you can give.

froggie08

:grin:For me I keep my hair really wet, almost as wet as if I were doing a rollerset. Mind you it will take longer to dry. Also If I find it difficult at any time to pull the rod through the curlformer I STOP And begin to work the rod backwards and start again. NEVER force the rod. HTH:grin:

Songbirdb

:grin:For me I keep my hair really wet, almost as wet as if I were doing a rollerset. Mind you it will take longer to dry. Also If I find it difficult at any time to pull the rod through the curlformer I STOP And begin to work the rod backwards and start again. NEVER force the rod. HTH:grin:

Thanks chica! I gotta remember to take my time so I won't keep pulling.

noemi

Well for me, I had to twist the hair like 10x. No matter the size of the section, as long as it was twisted, I could pull the hook through with no problems. Wet or dry or damp hair, it didn't matter. Whenever I would meet some resistence, I didn't twist enough/twist came loose a little bit, I would push the hook back up and slid the Curlformer back on the hook and start over with the twist. HTH

LaShanne

I agree with twisting it all the way. Also, what helped me was when I SLOWLY slid the hook through, I used my thumb and index finger and opened the hole of the curlformer wide which also helped the rod slide through. Good luck!

Wanderland

I totally agree...I initially tried with damp hair and the more I put the curlformer the more I realized it was a million times easier w/ more water!

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
What seems to be the average number of packs you all are using? Those things are expensive, so I wouldn't want to go buying a whole bunch of them. I know the unused packs can be returned, but I just wanted to know, on average, how many packs most of you are using.

Wanderland

What seems to be the average number of packs you all are using? Those things are expensive, so I wouldn't want to go buying a whole bunch of them. I know the unused packs can be returned, but I just wanted to know, on average, how many packs most of you are using.

I used the blue and green and I used 4 packs. Since I was picking the curls out I took liberty with the size of the section (like you I am on a budget...seriously) but 4 were enough for me BUT since they are soooooo amazing as time goes on and money allows I would eventually like to have all the colors/sizes for variation (my next mission is to get the pink/yellow for huge curls, but those come only 4 in a packs so its definitely more expensive) oh if the kit is 40 bucks at sallys you should get it, its a great value, but at my sally's it was 60 and that was a no go for me.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I posted this elsewhere but will update it here:

Though I have been roller setting my hair every since I was 15, I do still sometimes get frustrated. It takes practice. But these Curlformers are much easier to use.

Here are some tips:

1. Don't use too much hair for one Curlformer. It may cause too much tension and tangling. If you have trouble putting the hair through the hook, that's an indication that you're using too much hair.

2. Make sure the hair is pretty wet. Use a spray bottle with water or whatever you want to use. I generally took Southern Tease's advice and parted my hair into four sections. I drenched each section before I started to use the Curlformers.

3. Twist the hair from the root to about 1/2 inch down. Once you get the hair on the hook, make sure the top of the Curlformer is closer to the part where your hair is at the hook itself. This keeps the hair from tangling and pulling once you start pulling the hook through the Curlformer. It also keeps the hook itself from getting caught at the top edge of the Curlformer itself.

4. When pulling the hair through the Curlformer, pull DOWNWARD!! This forces the hook through the Curlformer without tugging and pulling, thus pulling the hair out.

5. Use the hand that you're not using to pull the hook through to hold the Curlformer at the opening and close to the scalp. It took me several frustrating times before I got the hang of it. While puling the hook DOWNWARD, use the other hand (the one closest to the scalp) to push the top edge of the Curlformer closest to your scalp. You don't want bulky roots. If you hold the top part of the Curlformer while pulling the hook through with the other hand, you get a nice, snug fit at the roots, thereby getting straighter roots.

6. When removing the Curlformers, follow the directions. Take both hands at the base of the Culformer, closest to the scalp. Use one hand to hold the Curlformer at the base and the other hand to straighten the Curlformer. Once the Curlformer is straightened out, then *GENTLY* pull the Curlformer downward and off the hair. The curl will be more uniformed and doesn't come apart. You'll get a very nice spiral and no frizz.

I lost absolutely no hair using the Curlformers. When combing through I may have lost 5 sheds at the most but no broken hairs whatsoever. So if you're looking for a better way to set the hair without using Magnetic Rollers, I highly suggest these Curlformers.

My only two gripes: (1) they're expensive; and (2) I have to come up with a way to maintain the style while sleeping.

I will go back and buy a few more packs of the long pink and oranges ones because they give more bounce and less tight curls. I don't want to look like Shirley Temple and the blue and green ones are too short for my hair. I recommend the largest size for ladies with very long hair; or ladies who want a much looser curl much like you get with Magnetic Rollers.

Songbirdb

My hair came out adorable! But I lost alot of hair! No broken hairs but alot of hair pulled from the root and I don't think its shedding because there was alot of pain and tension. I got the little white bulbs on the ends of my hair. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. And they aren't comfortable to sleep in at all to me. But I managed.

Songbirdb

By the way, i used 4 packs.... I have medium density hair.... in between thick and thin. Very fine strands also.