Curlformer question

bouncy

I'm new and joined mainly because of my recent fascination with curlformers and the amount of expertise at this forum. So, I had a chance to try curlformers last night.

A couple of things:
1. I twisted my hair so that it would go through the curlformer... and it ended up as a "twisted curl" (see pic). How do I avoid this?

2. I am natural 4a/4b. Any recs on products I should use to make the curl last? I tried professional strength lotta body that made for a nice immediate curl, but the curls were too crunchy to separate. I ended up with frizz.

3. Also, the roots look good, but the ends look ragged. Is that technique or just my hair?

Thanks for any and all help

Attachments

• IMG_0711(2).JPG
    IMG_0711(2).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 169

SparklingFlame

This happened to me too.

What is happening is you are twisting the hair too far down the shaft. You need only to twist the roots so that you can get more hair into the curlformer. I HTH some.

Welcome aboard!!!!!!

FocusLady

Hey, i'm natural and having a hard time finding something to hold my curls as well. i wore my hair like that yesterday and the curls where gone after about four hours...lol. your hair came out nice. like stillalady said you are twisting to far down. my ends aren't in the best shape but with the curls you can't tell. :perplexed i have lottabody but haven't really tried it yet. i used that new Sunsilk (sp) with the gel and cream in it. the one for waves (blue). it does have a hold to it but i wouldn't run out and buy it. i brought it to try and decided to use to for a setting cream. good luck and when you find something that works let me know. i love my curls but wish it would last longer.:grin:

Rain20

I watched the you tube tutorial by lady KPC on this site and it was very helpful. You really dont need to twist the hair if you push the curlformer up close to the base of piece of hair you're working on before pulling through. I used Lacio, Lacio and diluted lottabody. HTH.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I watched the you tube tutorial by lady KPC on this site and it was very helpful. You really dont need to twist the hair if you push the curlformer up close to the base of piece of hair you're working on before pulling through. I used Lacio, Lacio and diluted lottabody. HTH.

I'm not natural but ITA with this... my curls look wonky when I twist it. :ohwell: I'm able to get better curls and formation without the twists.

Maynard

I did my curls over this evening and I put a lil bit of Aveda Anti Humectacant pomade on each one..

We will see how long it lasts...

Its been raining and humid the past few days...

bouncy

Thanks for all of the replies. I redid my hair and I notice that since I have a better understanding of how to do things, I didn't need to twist so much to get the hair through, so I am hoping for better.

Gin- I thought about the Aveda humectant pomade. It is great for my long-lasting hold on my twists. I guess I talked myself out of it thinking it might be too strong. Please share your results!

I settled on (?) Let's Jam - some pink gel that always feels like it is 1/2 gel, 1/2 oil. I thought that would be perfect for hold and shine. We'll see.

I'm going to try to sleep in these things. (Oh well, my neck already hurts so might as well)

Thanks again.

sydwrites

i want to see pics from you both, i was thinking of something like lets jam - I use qp glaze though- and was wondering how that would look , but i have some aveda anti-humectant too so let me know that works. gin i think it was your pics that made me finally take the plunge. and bouncy can we get more than a sliver this time that was such a tease! :grin:

bouncy

Ok. Live and learn right.

So, pic results below of my 2nd curlformer experience. So, the Let's Jam did not work. Not enough hold. The ones in the back that are frizzy are the Let's Jam curls. But, since I ran out, I used some "curly pudding copy" that I had on the front. That worked GREAT! Nice hold, stiff -but not too much. And SHINY. So, the curly pudding copy (CPC) is a winner. I've redone the back withthe CPC. I want to go workout today, so I'll really test it then.

I'll let you know how the hair holds up.

*CPC is from one of the many curly pudding recipes floating around on various websites. I can't remember the exact recipe, but I do remember that it called for gel and oil. Since my hair likes the eco styler gels, I used that for my CPC. And I always add EVOO.

HTH

Attachments

• IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 91

bouncy

Long & wide...the ones that came in the kit. (I only saw one kit at my sally's...I guess there's a chance there are different kits out there)

thanks for the compliment. I am really loving the curlformers. They way easier than my 6 hour 2 strand twists!!

Cien

Pink is my signature color
Gurl...

the curly pudding hair looks GREAT!!!! you did a beautiful job!! :yep:

C

cieramichele

1. Soak your hair in your setting lotion and comb it root to tip.
2. hook the hair upward or downward (i forgot which works for me)
3. PULL DOWNWARD!

The first time, I twisted it and hated it. Last time I didnt twist it and it worked out better than before but I pulled DOWNWARD and instead of out.

PinkSkates

OP your curls are very pretty; you did a great job on your first set.

Originally posted by Gin
They aint maintaining.. LOL :lachen:
For the past week, I have been sleeping like the chick on Friday

Me too Gin... mine have been lasting all of a day and a half. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make'em last please share!:yep:

MissRissa

OP the curls with the CPC are super gorgeous. I still have not been able to get my hands on some curlformers. Somebody needs to at least put some on ebay.

Let us know how they stand up to the sweating & exercising. Thats why I really want some, for summer.

bouncy

They aint maintaining.. LOL :lachen:

For the past week, I have been sleeping like the chick on Friday

YEAH...so I've noticed that problem too.

Actually, my hair just takes a loong time to dry. I don't have the temperment to sit under a dryer for hours, so I try to let them air dry. Last weekend, I curled my hair about 3-4pm, slept in them, got up the next morning and some of the curls STILL weren't dry (I think I sat under a dryer for about 30 mins before I realized I couldn't take it and hopped up again).

So, I'm going to give it another try this weekend, but seriously, this may be more trouble than it's worth. The few front curls that were dry did not last an entire 24 hrs. They looked like SOGGY curls, which I could have made work if the whole back of my head didn't look just plain SOGGY. :nono: