Curlformers Challenge!

Lilmama1011

msbettyboop said:
Curlformers set was a success. Took me over 3 hours because I made the parts really small. I was afraid they would pull my hair out if they were any bigger. Slept in them and it was an horrific experience. I will NEVER do that again. Anyway, took them out the next morning. Soft, stretched hair without a knot or tangle in sight. However, I had no idea what to do with it. I stared at it all day then put it in a bun in the evening and twisted part of the front. At last, no heat, non stress stretching. I'm ordering bigger sizes so I can make bigger parts next time. God bless whoever invented curlformers. I'll upload pics ASAP!

Yeah it's hell to pay when you sleep in them

Z-kitty

swtpea
Hi :)

I am not in this challenge but I love how my sets come out. I do everything in sections 2 in front and 2 in the back. I use ASIAN leave in or PM The Conditioner Leave In (lightly;2 quarter sizes for each front and 1 quarter size for each back) then oil blend or pomade (lightly) and KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion. Last week I use a mix I found in the roller setting thread I think it was similar to TopNotch recipe 2:1:1 but I did 3oz water:1oz lottabody:1oz KeraCare foam wrap lotion and I got a beautiful set that way too:)

HTH

ETA pics of 3 different sets:)

First set is most recent, 2nd set is one of my firsts before I got my technique down, and last one is somewhere in between

winona - What size curlformers did u use for the second set?

Last edited:

msbettyboop

@shortt29, here are the pics :).

All done. I used 12 short and wide and 48 long and narrow but still didn't have enough so I used perm rods for what was left.

After I took them out. I didn't really part very well. Just felt around and what not. I'll be more precise the second try this weekend.

No idea what to do with it so I just threw it into a bun.

My hair was really really soft, flat and scalpy which made me a little nervous but it seems this is the way curlformers work. I'm sure once I wet my hair, it will return to its usual state. Parts of my hair were also longer than the long and narrow so I've ordered extra long and wide and will probably sell the long and narrow.

I used only water, leave in and ORS setting foam. I will probably change over from the ORS setting foam eventually as I didn't really like it. I wanted to seal with shea butter as well but I thought that might not be good for the curlformers.

shortt29

msbettyboop said:
@shortt29, here are the pics :).

All done. I used 12 short and wide and 48 long and narrow but still didn't have enough so I used perm rods for what was left.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/lafani/?action=view&current=curlformers2.jpg

After I took them out. I didn't really part very well. Just felt around and what not. I'll be more precise the second try this weekend.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/lafani/?action=view&current=curlformers3.jpg

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/lafani/?action=view&current=curlformers4.jpg

No idea what to do with it so I just threw it into a bun.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/lafani/?action=view&current=curlformers5.jpg

My hair was really really soft, flat and scalpy which made me a little nervous but it seems this is the way curlformers work. I'm sure once I wet my hair, it will return to its usual state. Parts of my hair were also longer than the long and narrow so I've ordered extra long and wide and will probably sell the long and narrow.

I used only water, leave in and ORS setting foam. I will probably change over from the ORS setting foam eventually as I didn't really like it. I wanted to seal with shea butter as well but I thought that might not be good for the curlformers.

Looks great!!! I usually just separate the curls a little and pin curl at night.

shortt29

Did a curlformers set tonight. Will post pics from the computer tomorrow so they don't end up sideways :/

shortt29

Here we go....Day 1 Curlformers

Attachments

• curlformers day1a 7-8-12.JPG
    curlformers day1a 7-8-12.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 78
  • curlformers day1b 7-8-12.JPG
    curlformers day1b 7-8-12.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 64
  • curlformers day1c 7-8-12.JPG
    curlformers day1c 7-8-12.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 60
  • curlformers day1d 7-8-12.JPG
    curlformers day1d 7-8-12.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 62
  • curlformers day1e 7-8-12.JPG
    curlformers day1e 7-8-12.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

shortt29

Day 2 after sleeping in pin curls

Attachments

• curlformers day2a 7-9-12.JPG
    curlformers day2a 7-9-12.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 65
  • curlformers day2b 7-9-12.JPG
    curlformers day2b 7-9-12.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 61
  • curlformers day2c 7-9-12.JPG
    curlformers day2c 7-9-12.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 58
  • curlformers day2d 7-9-12.JPG
    curlformers day2d 7-9-12.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
  • curlformers day2e 7-9-12.JPG
    curlformers day2e 7-9-12.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 53

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hey Ladies! I've been on the CG method for 6 weeks so I haven't used my curlformers for awhile. I'm still using the CG method, but now I'm incorporating my curlformers to stretch my hair so that I can start bunning.

WriterGirl

Hello Ladies:

Took out my Seneglese twists this weekend. This is my first Curlformer set on natural hair. I must say, I'm a believer for stretching the hair. Pics below.

Hair after removing braids and putting in prepoo (see the shrinkage):

Fresh Curlformer set after air drying all day (I can't even get this with blowdrying).

Curlformer Set Top View (stretches nicely):

Went out for errands ya'll know what happened - HUMIDITY :lol: It's all good though:

I'm going to try and bantu knot this out tonight and try to wear it in a curly fro maybe, then it's going in an updo and bun.

ALL THIS WITH NO HEAT! LOVE IT!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
WriterGirl your curlformers set came out great :grin:! Mine usually end up like ur last pic so now I style it for a braid out or bantu knot out then I eventually bun it. Here is a pic of the last bantu knot out I did after stretching with my curlformers.

Attachments

• IMG-20120527-00724 (2).jpg
    IMG-20120527-00724 (2).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 92

WriterGirl

tashboog Oooh, very pretty!

I think I will try a bantu knot out tonight. This set is pretty much down for the count after being in the steamy outdoors most of the day. :lol:

The stretching is AMAZING though. After seeing my shrinkage in all its glory I got a little nervous. :look: It's all good though.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
WriterGirl thank u for the compliment. I was pleased with my last bantu knot out :yep:. The key is to use a water based leave-in to set the coils, but don't use to much or ur hair will shrink. I use a dime size per knot and it keeps my hair from reverting, and be sure to apply something on ur ends for a smoother look. I know shrinkage is hard to adjust to and I'm still not at peace with my shrinkage which is why I use my curlformers :lol:. Good luck and make sure to show us a pic of your bantu knot out :grin:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
shortt29 Thank u :grin:! Bantu knots aren't that bad once u practice. Just keep trying until u get a good technique, and I'm sure they will turn out great :yep:!

Hazel

Congratulations ladies! Today marks the official end of our challenge! Thank you to all who participated and shared their ideas and photos. I myself will continue to post pics and tricks so feel free to do the same. Let the thread live on.

lwilliams1922

I missed this thread earlier in the year :( I just got curl formers recently. I tried last week and I see potential. My hair is 4/a/b. My hair tends to be on the dry side so I could always use more moisture.

last week I used mostly the extra wide and extra long. Can you tell me what works for you in terms of adding moisture (leavein?), and holding
TIA

Blairx0

Join us in the setting.to.success challenge. I am natural and have used curlformers, but can't figure out how to get the set to last

Hazel

Hi Ladies,

I meant to update my progress with curlformers. I used to use the curlformers to stretch my hair and then immediately do a twist out. For the past three months however, I've been installing the curlformers and leaving my hair alone. I usually pin it up in a pretty style and it lasts at least 7 days. I do weekly installs and continue to use my slippery conditioner mix which I described up thread.

My fine strands are thriving due to this low manipulation regimen. For anyone having trouble making the sets last, utilize the tips myself and the other ladies listed.

AtlantaJJ

I'll be watching from the sidelines as well. I have a gang of curlformers but I'm not using them because I'm on a personal workout challenge. I would mess up the style after one day of running. I want to learn the best way to use them with natural hair, what styling products to use, techniques, etc.

ETA: Just scrolled up an read this is the end of the challenge. :lol: Can someone please get @ me if another challenge is started?

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

Hey ladies! I am going to use my first heat pass of this challenge. I have not straightened my hair for at least six months and it is time for a trim. This challenge has definitely taught me what works for my length retention, and stretching definitely helps. I have honestly noticed a big difference in my length retention with the use of the curlformers, vs when I twist my hair unstretched while wet and then airdry. The shruken state results in many SSK's and breakage. :nono:

I installed the curlformers last night, and I plan to flat iron my hair sometime this weekend. I defintely appreciate the curlformers eliminating the need to use the blow dryer, so I can minimize heat exposure. What about you ladies? Our challenge is ending in July. Have you noticed increased length retention using curlformers?

@tashboog You still owe us a pic from you last heat pass :yep:

AtlantaJJ Did you buy your curlforners yet? We are anxiously awaiting your review!

Hazel I apologize for being months late with my response. I bought the CFs did one set and then ran in a 5K race the next day which trashed my hair. I haven't pulled those things out of the bag since. I better check them because I used butter on my set (reading through the thread). It is difficult for me to maintain a cute style due to my workouts so I've been twisting and high bunning.