Curlformers Challenge!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hi! I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are some people able to get their type 4 hair reasonably straight and or curly without flatironing by just using curlformers?
I am a 4a natural and I think it gets my hair pretty straight. I still have to flat iron my hair if I want to wear the flat relaxer type look. You can click on my pics posted several post above to get an idea of how straight my hair gets with the curlformers.

g.lo

not in the challenge but will be cheering on the side line! just bought some long and wide curlformer and will see how it goes!

g.lo

OMG, curlformers are sooooooooo easy to put in! I am quite surprised because i normally suck when a tool is involved! i got the hang of it so quick! this is just a test and I will post he result! i am natural!

Hazel

Welcome to the challenge!

@tashboog
@ResultsMayVary
@YoursTrulyRE

Thank you ladies for submitting photos. Your hair looks lovely. As for me, I'm on day six of my curlformers twist out. It looks fab, even though I had to pin up the back (hubby's request :) He dosen't like the hair unless it looks extra "fresh." Can't say I blame him.

Last edited:

Hazel

Hi! I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are some people able to get their type 4 hair reasonably straight and or curly without flatironing by just using curlformers?

@smanthathebrave I agree with tashboog, a light flat iron might be necessary if you have the desire to wear your hair bone straight; however, if you are aiming for "reasonably straight and/or curly," then it is absolutely possible with type four hair. Depending on the leave in conditioner you use (see my first post for an idea), your hair can come out straighter than you imagined. I know mine did.

Hazel

OMG, curlformers are sooooooooo easy to put in! I am quite surprised because i normally suck when a tool is involved! i got the hang of it so quick! this is just a test and I will post he result! i am natural!

g.lo I'm glad you like them! We look forward to seeing your pics :yep:

g.lo

@g.lo I'm glad you like them! We look forward to seeing your pics :yep:

here a pic, it was a test! did it on air dried hair (just slightly damp) and no product! as i said it was so easy to put them in an so comfortable! flexi rods hurts my scalp sooo bad but this is a keeper!!!!!!
it is late here and won't bother to separate the curls!

Attachments

• curlformerstest.jpg
    curlformerstest.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 181

WriterGirl

I agree with Hazel, good job g.lo

I'm mostly 4bish/4cish along the front and sides and the curlformers get my hair pretty straight and stretched. Haven't used direct heat in almost a year.

shenitab

I used some magic leverag (curlformers look alike) on my almost nine year old last night. She has a thick head of 4bcdeish hair. She was actually able to sleep in them (I thought she would get up in the middle of the night and ask me to take them out, but she didn't). Her hair came out looking nice. She had an awards assembly at school and got every award there was to get :grin:. I used a mixture of lottabody setting lotion/water and some kind of black and sassy cream I found in my stash. I put a little serum on it this morning for added shine.

What are the best setting products that you ladies have found? I do not mind if the curls come out hard - the harder the better. I want them to last as long as possible. I think this is going to become a goto hairstyle in our household of three naturals. I have a 7 year old I would like to try it on but I am not sure she will be able to sleep in them overnight. She barely wants to sleep with a scarf on :sad:. I am going to have to get more curlers so I will have enough to do two heads in one night. I may have to talk dh into getting me a really nice sit under dryer - hmm mother's day isn't until may. Any more holidays before then that I forgot about?

1. What are the best setting products that you ladies have found? I do not mind if the curls come out hard - the harder the better. I want them to last as long as possible.
2. If I order a real Curlformers set, which one would be the best? The kids have thick hair longer than shoulder length.

WriterGirl

shenitab A lot of people use the lottabody mix. I have yet to use setting lotion as I tend to like my curls softer. I just use water and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in.

But I would think any type of setting lotion or maybe a tiny amount of gel set to each section may give you the hold you need.

As for your Curlformers size, I would get the extra long and wide (pink and orange). That should cover longer hair.

Still waiting for the extra long and extra wide (reddish fushia and yellow). My hair is almost too long for the regular long and extra wide. There was a rumor that they were coming out.

winona

[USER=36469]WriterGirl[/USER] said:
shenitab A lot of people use the lottabody mix. I have yet to use setting lotion as I tend to like my curls softer. I just use water and Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine leave-in.

But I would think any type of setting lotion or maybe a tiny amount of gel set to each section may give you the hold you need.

As for your Curlformers size, I would get the extra long and wide (pink and orange). That should cover longer hair.

Still waiting for the extra long and extra wide (reddish fushia and yellow). My hair is almost too long for the regular long and extra wide. There was a rumor that they were coming out.

Hi

I love long and extra wide curlformers. Where did you find extra long and extra wide? I have been waiting for Sally's to get the forever

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MsAminta

This is a cool challenge! Cheering you guys on. :) I want to try curl formers when my hair gets a little longer but I'm a little worried about breakage. I know you use those hooks to pull the hair through.

What has been your experience? Any tips??

HanaKuroi

I went in their website and I don't see any mention of extra long and extra wide. I can't believe they never thought to make these. I thought my salkys was sold out.

Hazel

MsAminta Hey girl, thanks for stopping by! As far as breakage goes, when I first started using them, I did experience breakage, but I figured out my hair wasn't slippery enough. I found the more moisturized my hair was, breakage became virtually non-existent. See my first post for leave in conditioner tips. Maybe some of the other ladies can chime in too. Feel free to join us if you'd like :)

WriterGirl

Co-signing on the breakage. Your hair must be either soaking wet or at least be well moisturized with a leave-in conditioner. The slippery your hair the better.

When I find that I can't get my hair to go through -- I stop. I never force it. I either make my section smaller or I add more moisture. Otherwise, you can rip your hair. Slow and patient is key.

I make sure I'm in the right state of zen when I start my Curlformer set. :lol:

MsAminta

Thanks for the tips! I definitely want to try it in the future then. Gonna save up to buy a set. They're like $60 right?

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hey ladies! I'm just checking in. I am planning on doing a curlformers set tonight so that I can stretch my hair for an awesome curly fro for the weekend :grin:.

g.lo

I used my curlforemer again today, and i still cnnot believe how easy it is and how soft my hair is! this time I have used it on completely dry hair which was in a bun! love the result! (sorry no pic!). I am using the extra long and wide, they are not he original, i bought them from this ebay seller, and I don't regret it at all and won't buy from curlformers!
I was so pleased that I want to buy another set from the same seller, I contacted her and asked if she can get the extra wide and extra long, she will try to get them!!!!! winona and WriterGirl!!
the seller ebay ID is happycurls and these are the one I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260958100541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I am really happy with curlformers!!

WriterGirl

^^^Let us know how it goes. I'm actually getting ready to wash and set my hair today with the long and extra wide plus the wide and long today.

It would be nice to get my hands on some extra long and extra wide ones. When I become all natural, I could see using this type to stretch my hair for either straightening or to put in a pun or a stretch out twist-out/braid-out.

WriterGirl

Ladies, just wanted to show ya'll my fresh Curlformer set using the extra wide and long (fuschia/yellow).

Most of my relaxed ends are on the crown and this is what you see but it gets my natural hair very stretch and straight too. Co-washed using Aubrey Organics White Camellia then used filtered water, Garnier Frutcis sleek and shine and sealed with Dax for the set.

Will wear down today, maybe tomorrow and then in updos. I'm set for the week! :yep:

YoursTrulyRE

Sitting under the dryer with my curlformers. I used the wide and long (pink/orange) with a couple of long and narrow (green/blue) in the front. My hair is not long enough to reach the bottom of the curlformers but I didn't want to have to buy another set in the future when my hair grew longer. I will update with picture later when I take them out.

ecadnacmc

Is it too late to join. Did my hair last night with curl formers. Prepooed with AORM mixed with honey and AVJ. Washed with terressentials lavender mixes with shikaki, brahmi, and aritha. Did a henna gloss a followed by indigo.DC'd with silicon mix garlic. Set hair with giovanni's leave in, castor oil and ORS lock and twist gel. Here are m results:

image-4152823112.jpg

ResultsMayVary

I purchased the narrow:long yesterday :grin:

I always frizz out a style, from playing with it.. :look: but I can definitely see myself wearing the narrow sets as a style more than the wide.

I plan to try extra wide next week..

Hazel

ecadnacmc said:
Is it too late to join. Did my hair last night with curl formers. Prepooed with AORM mixed with honey and AVJ. Washed with terressentials lavender mixes with shikaki, brahmi, and aritha. Did a henna gloss a followed by indigo.DC'd with silicon mix garlic. Set hair with giovanni's leave in, castor oil and ORS lock and twist gel. Here are m results:

ecadnacmc It's not too late to join. Welcome to our challenge, your curls look great! Just thank the first post so we can keep track of our team.