Curlformers Challenge!

Hazel

Hey ladies. I just washed and conditioned my hair. Instead of using my curlformers (short on time) I used the banding method to stretch my hair. This is my first time doing it so I will let you ladies know how it turns out

AtlantaJJ

I'm going to use curlformers for the first time this weekend. I'm finding all the CF threads! I didn't know there was a challenge! :yay: I know I'm late to the party but hey!! :dance7:

AtlantaJJ

I purchased the narrow:long yesterday :grin:

I always frizz out a style, from playing with it.. :look: but I can definitely see myself wearing the narrow sets as a style more than the wide.

I plan to try extra wide next week..

Your hair is gorg, I knew I should have gotten the long and narrow :fistshake: !! I stood in Sally's for 30 minutes looking at the long and narrow... I think I would like them for a curly fro look. I bought the extra long and wide kit instead. I think I'm going to have to buy several packs of the long and narrow because I think I would like my hair styled that way better. I can use the extra long and wide to stretch my hair for curly twist-outs. Perhaps I can find the L&N on Ebay for a better price. I will need 50 + to achieve the style I want. I know these CFs are expensive but it may be an answer to my prayer for quicker ways to style my 4b hair, they are less than a visit or two to a salon and you can re-use them over and over!!!

Now what to use for leave-ins :scratchch

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

I would like to add a warning about the longevity of curformers. Please wash and dry after use. I didn't do this the last time. If you add oil or butters to your hair they will dissolve the glue on the hard plastic ends. I had a few come off leaving me with a mesh tube with frayed ends. They are unusable at this point.

Eta: this happened to the green and blue. I'll have to look at my orange/pink and maroon/yellow

Last edited:

YoursTrulyRE

It's been awhile since I posted. I had to drop out of a lot of challenges because I ended up getting a weave. Work and school are so time consuming that my hair was paying the cost. I may try and do a curlformer set on my weave in a couple of week. If I do I will definitely post pics for you ladies to see.

g.lo

Hi girls,

just wanted to share this with you, i bought the extra long and extra wide from this seller on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-16-EX...ultDomain_0&hash=item3cc676c278#ht_2850wt_950

I am in Uk and will be receiving mines end of june, just because I am buying stuff from Us and group them in one address so i can have just one lot shipped when i finish my shopping ( I use my us.com).
I have bought the other sises from her before and had no problem. I can't wait to receive them!!!

Hazel

So I'm overdue to talk about my banding method. Although it stretched my hair, it did not provide the same level of smoothness, so the shrinkage was more pronounced. I've tried twisting to dry and then retwisting on top hoping for increased length. The only thing left to try are actual rods, but I'm starting to think curlformers are an anomaly, the smoothness and stretching combined have been unmatched by other heatless methods I've tested. The only reason I'm even straying is because I dislike being dependent on products, lol. It is what it is for now. I will be using them again this week!

msbettyboop

Glad to find this thread. I can't join since I don't have any curl formers but I'm thinking of buying and doing a lot of research before spending such a huge amount. I have a big head :) so I'll probably need 70-80 pieces. Still not sure of what size to buy though. Anyway, thanks for all the updates in the thread. Lovely hair, ladies!

g.lo, that eBay brands is way more cheaper. I hope it works as well.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hello ladies :grin:! I haven't posted in awhile but I'm still using my curlformers. However, this month I will be starting the Curly Girl method, but I will still include my curlformers into my routine. Today I am straighten my hair for my 2 year length check. I'm trying the Carol's daughter chocolat smoothing system to straighten my hair. I'm currently sitting under my soft bonnet dryer with my curlformers. Once my hair is dry, I will then use my Instyler to get my hair bone straight. Well at least that's my plan, but don't know if I'll be able to get it relaxer straight but we shall see :look:. After I'm done straighten my hair, I will post pics.

Hazel

Hey ladies! I am going to use my first heat pass of this challenge. I have not straightened my hair for at least six months and it is time for a trim. This challenge has definitely taught me what works for my length retention, and stretching definitely helps. I have honestly noticed a big difference in my length retention with the use of the curlformers, vs when I twist my hair unstretched while wet and then airdry. The shruken state results in many SSK's and breakage. :nono:

I installed the curlformers last night, and I plan to flat iron my hair sometime this weekend. I defintely appreciate the curlformers eliminating the need to use the blow dryer, so I can minimize heat exposure. What about you ladies? Our challenge is ending in July. Have you noticed increased length retention using curlformers?

@tashboog You still owe us a pic from you last heat pass :yep:

AtlantaJJ Did you buy your curlforners yet? We are anxiously awaiting your review!

Last edited:

msbettyboop

I ordered curlformers from the vendor g.lo recommended on ebay. Very nice lady by the way. I ordered long and narrow (48 pieces) and short and wide (12 pieces). I hope it'll be enough. Patiently waiting for it now. Maybe I can join the next challenge. :)

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Hey ladies :grin:! I did flat iron my hair but it didn't turn out the way I expected because my hair did not like the Carol's daughter smoothing system :nono:. So I wasn't impressed with my flat iron job so I'm only posting my length pics.

Attachments

• IMG-20120602-00753.jpg
    IMG-20120602-00753.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20120602-00754.jpg
    IMG-20120602-00754.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 71

HeChangedMyName

What do you all use to set your curls on curl formers? I got some from ebay and i;m natural 4A maybe. I want to use them this weekend and get the smoothest results and the longest possible wearing time.

Can I have suggestions?

ResultsMayVary

How's everyone doing?!
I took a break for about a month from Curlformers to bun daily :look: it's have become rather boring..
so I am back, lol.
Pics to come soon..

.:Eden:.

Just purchased 2 Curlformer Kits (I have a lot of hair) from Sally's online for $100 with free shipping. I had a 25% off coupon and a beauty club card.

The coupon expires today and I spent 1hr going back and forth between my bank account screen and the shopping cart trying to decide if I should get it lol.

Should receive my package this week.

I had Curlformers while I was transitioning, but returned them. Should've kept them but this time I want to incorporate it into my routine.

Updates to come

Hazel

.:Eden:. said:
Just purchased 2 Curlformer Kits (I have a lot of hair) from Sally's online for $100 with free shipping. I had a 25% off coupon and a beauty club card.

The coupon expires today and I spent 1hr going back and forth between my bank account screen and the shopping cart trying to decide if I should get it lol.

Should receive my package this week.

I had Curlformers while I was transitioning, but returned them. Should've kept them but this time I want to incorporate it into my routine.

Updates to come

Let us know how they turn out

WriterGirl

Ladies:

I still have my Senegalese twists in but will be taking them down the week of July 9th.

I'll be sure to come back and post some pics of my Curlformer set now that I'm fully natural.

ecadnacmc

Summer humidity was too much for me. Stopped using curlformers and installed locs myself.

image-1176896407.jpg

Trying to make MBL by 2013 hoping hiding my hair will get me there.

shortt29

ecadnacmc said:
Summer humidity was too much for me. Stopped using curlformers and installed locs myself.

Trying to make MBL by 2013 hoping hiding my hair will get me there.

Ecadnacmc those locs look great!!!!

Hazel

ecadnacmc said:
Pic of "locs" down

Looks good ecadnacmc I just washed and conditioned my hair after wearing a curlformers twist out for 12 days. I definitely have seen length retention using a consistent stretching method. I'm currently undergoing a henna treatment right now. Once I rinse and steam my hair, I will install the curlformers again.

Hazel

I did another curlformers install yesterday. I didn't have six hours to wait for it to dry so after four I used a blow dryer on them. I'll try not to do that again because the results were slightly different. I need to invest in a Pibbs or another stand up dryer. As my hair gains more length I plan to do more roller sets. How are you ladies doing?

Lilmama1011

I abandoned curl formers, I do the flexi rods because quicker and last longer but I just noticed I was suppose to do the curl former challenged, I'm sorry ladies.... I'm out of the challenge but I do roller sets religiously except when I go to the salon I wear it out

msbettyboop

Curlformers set was a success. Took me over 3 hours because I made the parts really small. I was afraid they would pull my hair out if they were any bigger. Slept in them and it was an horrific experience. I will NEVER do that again. Anyway, took them out the next morning. Soft, stretched hair without a knot or tangle in sight. However, I had no idea what to do with it. I stared at it all day then put it in a bun in the evening and twisted part of the front. At last, no heat, non stress stretching. I'm ordering bigger sizes so I can make bigger parts next time. God bless whoever invented curlformers. I'll upload pics ASAP!

shortt29

msbettyboop said:
Curlformers set was a success. Took me over 3 hours because I made the parts really small. I was afraid they would pull my hair out if they were any bigger. Slept in them and it was an horrific experience. I will NEVER do that again. Anyway, took them out the next morning. Soft, stretched hair without a knot or tangle in sight. However, I had no idea what to do with it. I stared at it all day then put it in a bun in the evening and twisted part of the front. At last, no heat, non stress stretching. I'm ordering bigger sizes so I can make bigger parts next time. God bless whoever invented curlformers. I'll upload pics ASAP!

Msbettyboop...pics please :) I love curlformers! I had the nerve to try and sleep in them too...NEVER again. Can't wait to see how great your set came out