Curlformers Challenge!

Hazel

Hello fellow CURLFORMERS USERS, and those who wish to purchase them!

I have been using the long and wide curlformers for a little over six months. My below collar bone length, 4a natural hair straightens nicely with them, and I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Nothing short of a blow dry has completely straightened my hair and roots but curlformers. :yep:

In order to stabilize my regimen and maintain consistency, I decided to put myself on a six month personal curlformers challenge, but got insipred to open it to everyone after reading a post on curlformers by @swtpea. My goal is to see how much length I can retain keeping my hair stretched without heat. My hair is fine and extremely prone to tangling, using curlformers provides me with the option of stretching my hair without heat and cuts down on ssk's and unnecessary breakage.

To give those that want to participate time to prepare, the challenge can be joined today, February 13, 2012 through Sunday February 19th, 2012. The challenge will end Sunday, July 22nd 2012. (It can be extended it if most people are on board to participate). Since the point of curlformers is to straighten hair without heat, no direct heat should be used for this challenge. If you sit under the dryer or steam your hair this is okay. If using direct heat is absolutely necessary, you may use it on an extremely limited basis to straighten your hair for trims or other important purposes outside this challenge, but you cannot use direct heat more than two times during the six month period. If you have to use direct heat during this challenge, please post this information to the thread.

****The focus of this challenge is length retention by keeping the hair stretched using curlformers, not to monitor how often you use your curlformers. For example: If you wash your hair only once a month, then you would only be required to install your curlformers once a month, so long as your hair remains stretched for the majority of the month. You may style your hair any way you choose after stretching with the curlformers such as braid-outs, twist-outs, protective styles, etc. (save for styles that would shrink your hair back into its natural curl pattern, as this would defeat the purpose of stretching the hair). I typically wash my hair three to four times a month, and style the third day in a twist out. Thus, I use my curlformers three to four times a month, and this keeps my hair stretched the majority of the time. Remember, the overall goal of this challenge is to keep the hair stretched the majority of the time. If you choose to join this challenge, curlformers should be a main staple in your regimen, and you should be consistent enough with stretching the hair that you will be able to measure your length retention using curlformers.***

If you wish to join, please thank this post and provide your regimen, (to include all products), the type of curlformers you use, and most importantly, the leave-in or other products you use when installing the curlformers. If you take vitamins or are using topical growth aides, include those as well. Please state your current length and include a starting picture (if possible) at the beginning and/or other photos of your hair styled using curlformers as the challenge progresses. We will reveal our hair on July 16th, 2012. It would also be helpful if you include your hair type for regimen building and product suggestion purposes. Try to check in at least weekly, or more often if you like :spinning:. Hopefully this thread will become a resource for retaining length through stretching the hair and also for discovering innovative ways of using our beloved curlformers!

So who's with me???:grin:

Last edited:

Hazel

My hair type is fine and 4a (some 3c on sides and back) with medium density. Currently, I wash every seven days with Terressentials Lavender mud wash for my hair and Terressentials Mint mud wash for my scalp. I alternate conditioning with Curl Junkie Strenghtening Conditioner and Curl Junkie Argan and Olive Oil Conditioner, depending on what my hair needs. I deep condition under my steamer bi-weekly with a natural protein-moisture balanced conditioner (I have several) and Hot Six Oil.

I take Smoothie King Women's Multi Vitamins, and separate vitamins for Calcium and Vitamin D. I recently started using Wild Growth Oil for my scalp. I've started applying it twice a week.

When I install my curlformers, I use light, cream based leave-in conditioners and add aloe vera, castor oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil. I currently rotate between Giovanni Direct Leave-In, Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave-In, and KCKT. Sometimes I will add Aveda Smooth Infusion for good measure. My hair is soft and shiny for at least three to four days days without having to re-moisturize. After rocking the flexi curl look for two to three days, I usually twist my hair, add argan oil, and sit under my plug-in heat cap to set the style. Most people think I am rocking a shiney roller set when my twists are unleashed! I sleep in a satin bonnet with loose hair most of the time and re-twist if necessary. This regimen gets at least seven day hair when I keep it up.

Attachments

• image-1736473648.jpg
    image-1736473648.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 335
  • image-4234101088.jpg
    image-4234101088.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 324
  • image-3337786597.jpg
    image-3337786597.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 285
  • image-368235665.jpg
    image-368235665.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 267
  • image-4095035236.jpg
    image-4095035236.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Hazel

@Hazel: Do you sleep in them?

I have before and they ARE NOT comfortable. If I do end up sleeping in them, I usually wake up around 2 am, after I have had them in for at least six hours, remove them, and put on a satin bonnet. I try t do them on Sunday afternoon after church and wear them for the duration of the day. They are usually dry by the time I go to bed.

swtpea

Of course, I'm in. Since I'm on my iPad, I can only provide a link of my pics. The pics in my album are my starting point, especially since I've only used Curlformers twice, however I'm already in love.

My regimen:

Starting: about 1" past APL
Goal: Full BSL
Hair type: who the heck knows? I'm 14 months relaxer free. I seem to be a 3c/4a mix
Routine: I wash weekly, alternating between Aveda Dry Remedy, and Dudley's
Deep condition for 30 min with each wash
I haven't found a product that I just love yet to do my sets
I have used the long & narrow Curlformers so far, my extra long & wide are on order
I dry under a hooded dryer for 30-40 min
My daily style is a curly "puff" as I call it. Basically just a high, loose pony w/ a headband

Nighttime:
I apply about a half dollar size of Argan oil throughout my hair, concentrating on my ends.
I then lean over and put my hair into a pony right at the top of my head, VERY loose!
I sometime spray a little Chi Shine Infusion, and put on my satin bonnet. The end!

Ladies I can't wait to see what you guys are doing. I really think we can get a lot of growth out of these things! Please follow my link to see my pics :)

http://s1149.photobucket.com/albums/o591/Swtpea10/Curlformers/

Hazel

Welcome @swtpea! I'm glad your in on this journey! I can't wait see your pics yet but look forward to when I get home.

Last edited:

JJamiah

I won't be able to join but will be looking in on the sides at this challenge. I will be alternating between wigging and Curl formers :)
My use of heat puts me outtt.... But I am still happy this challenge exist as I get to learn some tips :)

Hazel

I won't be able to join but will be looking in on the sides at this challenge. I will be alternating between wigging and Curl formers :)
My use of heat puts me outtt.... But I am still happy this challenge exist as I get to learn some tips :)

Thanks for the support! I'm looking forward to learning new tips as well. HHG!

alive

ooh i like the sound of this. just to clarify. do we have to keep our hair stretched using curlformers throughout the challenge? or is it more of, if you must stretch your hair, use curlformers instead of heat?

Hazel

ooh i like the sound of this. just to clarify. do we have to keep our hair stretched using curlformers throughout the challenge? or is it more of, if you must stretch your hair, use curlformers instead of heat?

@alive You are absolutely right, the goal is to use the curlformers on a consistent basis (at least once a month and more often according to your wash schedule) and/or use them in place of heat to stretch the hair. You may style your hair any way you choose after stretching with the curlformers (save for styles which would shrink the hair, as this would defeat the purpose). The overall goal of this challenge, however, is to retain length by keeping the hair stretched. If you choose to join this challenge, curlformers should be a main staple in your regimen, and enough so you will be able to measure your length retention with a consistent curlformers regimen. I will add this information to the original post. Thank you for your questions :yep:

I will be using the curlformers at least three times a month, as I rarely wear wash n go's due to the fine nature of my strands (and also because of these harsh winter months).

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

We use curlformers and airdry. I don't have a hooded dryer. We are natural and it gets our roots straight.

Ann0804

I'll be viewing from the sidelines. Curlformers hurt my scalp too much to use more than once a month. Hopefully I can learn some helpful tips from you all.

Hazel

Ann0804 said:
I'll be viewing from the sidelines. Curlformers hurt my scalp too much to use more than once a month. Hopefully I can learn some helpful tips from you all.

Ann0804 Thanks for the support! Do you think the scalp pain could be from your technique? When I first purchased mine it was from trial and error that I learned how to install them without any pain. The key for me was placing the appropriate amount of hair in the curlformer with respect to the size of the curlformer.

Too much hair in the curlformer made it difficult to install, and extremely tight if I was able to get my hair through. I also tended to put them too close to my scalp. I now twist my root which causes the curlformer to hang away from my scalp, and the slight tension still gets my roots straight.

Once I got past these issues I was good to go. You can join if you use curl formers once a month, keep your hair stretched with them the majority of the time, and are heat free.

Lilmama1011

I just found out what they was yesterday and it looks very easy and seems to come out pretty,i would have joined the challenge, but have not yet purchase them yet

Hazel

Lilmama1011 said:
I just found out what they was yesterday and it looks very easy and seems to come out pretty,i would have joined the challenge, but have not yet purchase them yet

lilmama You have until this Sunday to purchase them if you can :)

swtpea

Yay, I found the LHCF app for my iPad! Now I can show you guys my pics. These are are from my first Curlformers set. I've only had two, but will do it again on Friday. Here ya go...

Wet hair to show my texture

image-1013642618.jpg

Long & Narrow Curlformers (about 50+, I have A LOT of hair)

image-215630090.jpg

Curls right after taking out the Curlformers

image-1069154089.jpg

Curls separated gently with my fingers

image-729261131.jpg

image-2253297853.jpg

My daily "curly puff" I'm still protective styling, but I love the texture the curls add to my puff.

image-3613893244.jpg

Ok, ladies, like I said this was my FIRST attempt. I hope to improve. This week I'm trying Lacio
Lacio on my hair, and sticking with Miss Jessie's buttercream and curly pudding on my edges. I'm 14 months post, but my edges came out amazingly smooth.

swtpea

Chica, go ahead and purchase a kit. You are not too late. The more Curlformers the more fun!

Lilmama1011

Ok I will try and get them by Sunday but yal said no heat, so that means no hooded dryer or just direct heat?

outspokenwallflower

I will be lurking in this thread; I have the salon kit and recently ordered 2 sets of the long and narrow the day before this was posted because I want to use my curlformers more :yep:

However, I use heat :( I can't wait to see pics, and the tips and tricks on the best products to use for style longevity and ease of application will be so helpful :D

faithVA

Nice challenge. Will be watching from the sidelines to learn some new things. Can't join because I'm in the twist/braid/bun challenge.

Will be watching to learn more about how you wear your hair between sets.

Good luck ladies!

WriterGirl

I'm so IN! :yep:

Curlformers has been my staple style for over a year now. It is what helped me in my first year of transitioning. Curlformers is the only thing I have used. I think without it, I would have given up because for me, Curlformers stretches out my hair SO well that I returned my hot comb and edge stick to Sally's. I haven't used direct heat on my hair since March 2011.

My hair type is all over -- mostly 4 (with A, B, and C curl patterns). I still have about 9 inches of relaxed ends at the crown which I use for my updos. My natural hair is about 5-6 inches. My hair is THICK.

For me, I usually wash my hair every 1-2 weeks:

Prepoo with water, castor oil, Aubrey Organics White Camellia or GPB. Sit under the steamer 20 min.

Shampoo with either Giovanni Smooth as Silk or Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. Clarify with Redken Cleansing Cream as needed (about every 2 months).

Condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk.

Spritz with water, seal with Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine and either Babyganics, Dax, or Jane Carter Nourish and Shine

Use extra wide and long for the crown and wide and long for the perimeter.

Sit under dryer 1-2 hours and done. :)

Here's the specific Curlformers Fotki link:
http://public.fotki.com/WriterGirl/curlformers/curlformers-maintai/

More details in my Fotki. Link in my siggy.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm trying curlformers tonight. So, we'll see how I do. I hope it works out. :pray:

liteskinshowdy

Starting: Full BSL
Goal: WL
Hair type: 3c/4a - currently 6 months post
Routine: I wash weekly using VO5 Moisture Milk shampoo and conditioner
and set my hair with Tresemme Naturals conditioner and creme of nature argon oil for shine.
I have the extra long and wide curlformers and will air dry or use my soft bonnet attachment to my blow dryer. I'll wear the waves for a day or two and then wrap or do some other style.
I'll post a starting length later this week.

Hazel

@WriterGirl Welcome to the challenge! I love your pictures. I have a few of the extra wide and long but my hair didn't look as good when I used them compared to the long and wide. I used them before I got the hang of curlformers though, so it could have been my technique.

@liteskinshowdy Thanks for joining us! I've been curious about people who use a bonnet dryer to dry. Do all of the curlformers fit under the hood?

NJoy I hope you love your curlformers as much as I love mine. Since your new to this, make sure your hair is thoroughly moisturized so the curlformer will slide through more easily. I broke a few strands during my first few tries :sad: I was also using a protein leave in during that time as well. My leave in regimen I described in my second post helps out a lot!

Last edited: