Curlformers Challenge!

Lilmama1011

I did mines on dry hair and it actually worked out better for me. I air dried it and but leave in Shea moisture conditioner and coconut oil and when it dried(which looked like a puffy mess) I put mizani coconut souffle and redken smooth heat protector(just to add more slip because I wasn't going under the dryer or messing with any heat anymore) and then added hair polisher i c gel for even more slip and it worked out fine and actually was easier that way for me and came out more shinier. So it's a plus because I don't need to use heat anymore except for my deep conditioner :)

winona

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];15483455]I've only been lurking on this thread, but... you ladies are totally to blame. I just bought 5 packs of the short & narrow. :drunk: lol

It would be a nice change up from the twist outs I wear everyday. :yep:

Thanks for this thread!

*goes back to lurking...*

I am not sure if you already used your curlformers yet but I would get the long and narrow that way your hair can grow into them:grin:

winona

[USER=327265 said:
Lilmama1011[/USER];15560767]Do yal air dry yal hair? And then do curl formers?

Just the thought of doing my set on dry hair scares me:nono: I need mega slip which I get from the water and leave in:) Also I think you would get a better set on wet hair because as it dries it molds.

winona

[USER=327265 said:
Lilmama1011[/USER];15583251]How long do yal curl formers last? Mines the most is two

3 days without any fuzz then 2-3 with a some fuzz(this is only working out lightly; walking pushup sit-up in a cool place so I don't sweat too much in the head). BUT I only curl former set in cooler months because I am natural and it is hard for me keep reversion at bay with the humidity here.

kailand

I've been using my short and wide Curlformers for about a month any way can I join this challenge? I need to stay away from the heat! I co-wash and DC then I use:
beemine luscious leave in moisturizing cond.
chi silk infusion
EVCO
Shea moisture coconut moisturizing spray
top it off w/ a spritz of aphogee provitamin leave in
and I'm straight into the curlformers when they're dry I take em out and pin my curls down to my head to sleep on they are so soft and silky I can't believe this is my hair!!!!

Hazel

kailand said:
I've been using my short and wide Curlformers for about a month any way can I join this challenge? I need to stay away from the heat! I co-wash and DC then I use:
beemine luscious leave in moisturizing cond.
chi silk infusion
EVCO
Shea moisture coconut moisturizing spray
top it off w/ a spritz of aphogee provitamin leave in
and I'm straight into the curlformers when they're dry I take em out and pin my curls down to my head to sleep on they are so soft and silky I can't believe this is my hair!!!!

kailand Sure you can join! Welcome :) Thank the first post and add your regimen.

WriterGirl

Ladies,

I set my hair using all of the wide and long (orange/pink). I'll probably wear it up for the rest of the week and when the curls frizz out I'll just put in a bun.

This is 3rd day hair.

Lilmama1011

WriterGirl said:
Ladies,

I set my hair using all of the wide and long (orange/pink). I'll probably wear it up for the rest of the week and when the curls frizz out I'll just put in a bun.

This is 3rd day hair.

Did you use setting lotion because mines only last two days max and even the second day be look a mess, what did you use for hold?

WriterGirl

Lilmama1011 I don't use setting lotion just Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine.

What works for me is just putting my hair in about 6-8 pincurls at night. That is what helps keep the shape. It usually takes less than 10 minutes.

ecadnacmc

Set hair last night using Giovanni SAS, JBCA & grapeseed oil. Sat under Pibbs for 1 hr an then slept on curlformers. Here are the results. No separation.

image-4254149693.jpg

Postal

Hello Ladies
I'm looking for a way to set my hair without spending so much time on setting it. I find traditional rollersetting to take waayyy too much time and too long to do. Would you ladies say curlformers are easier to do? Faster to do? I'm looking to purchase some this for this weekend.

Lilmama1011

Postal said:
Hello Ladies
I'm looking for a way to set my hair without spending so much time on setting it. I find traditional rollersetting to take waayyy too much time and too long to do. Would you ladies say curlformers are easier to do? Faster to do? I'm looking to purchase some this for this weekend.

It's easy to me but only last two days and have to find something to extend the wearing of my curls without making it hard and crunchy

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
This weekend I tried Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz to set my hair and I added a little of my Aforveda whipped gelly. My curls came out nice and firm which is what I was looking for. In order for my set to last I need a firm hold for my natural hair. However, I still haven't mastered how to maintain my curlformers. I've been doing pin curls to save my set and it works pretty good but it no longer look like spirals but more like a roller set but either way it'll do for now. My hair is not the kind that can do a pineapple and have good results the next day :nono:. Pineapples stretch my hair way too much and it then looks stringy and lifeless :lol:. I am planning on wearing my set for Easter so I guess I may have no other choice but to sleep in those bad boys the nite before in order to have a banging set :cry2:.

WriterGirl

This weekend I tried Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz to set my hair and I added a little of my Aforveda whipped gelly. My curls came out nice and firm which is what I was looking for. In order for my set to last I need a firm hold for my natural hair. However, I still haven't mastered how to maintain my curlformers. I've been doing pin curls to save my set and it works pretty good but it no longer look like spirals but more like a roller set but either way it'll do for now. My hair is not the kind that can do a pineapple and have good results the next day :nono:. Pineapples stretch my hair way too much and it then looks stringy and lifeless :lol:. I am planning on wearing my set for Easter so I guess I may have no other choice but to sleep in those bad boys the nite before in order to have a banging set :cry2:.

Girl, good luck with sleeping in those thangs. :spinning:

But that's a good tip on using jelly. I'm thinking next time, I may test out my set with some kind of jelly. I'm thinking the Jamaican Lime (I don't know the name off the top of my head) twist jelly.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Girl, good luck with sleeping in those thangs. :spinning:

But that's a good tip on using jelly. I'm thinking next time, I may test out my set with some kind of jelly. I'm thinking the Jamaican Lime (I don't know the name off the top of my head) twist jelly.
Um...yea..I've slept in them before and trust me when I tell you that it was not the business :lol:. I think the whipped gelly gave me a better hold and I saw several ladies on youtube that used a gelly or a pudding for their curlformers set with good results. So please let us know how your results turned out with the twist jelly. I will try and post some pics of my Easter hair this weekend using the gelly :yep:.

Hazel

Hi ladies, just checking in!

I did my first curlformers set in two weeks on Monday. I used my Terresential Mud wash in lemon and mint to wash, CurlJunkie Beauticurls strengthening conditioner (my mild protein condish) as my rinse out, and the slippery mix of KCNT, aloe, castor, olive, and sometimes argan oil. I also used Aveda Smooth Infusion for a smoother strand. Curls came out pretty good, but you guys know I only do it to stretch my hair. Incidentally, I am still wearing my curlformer set, and have delayed twisting it until Thursday.

ecadnacmc

tashboog I do a modified pineapple using a silk scarf instead of a band and my hair usually last for at least 3 days. Usually I loose my curls because of work (hair has to be covered) or working out (bikram yoga). I just sweep all my curls forward with my hand, tie silk scarf with knot in front and then apply satin bonnet over front for extra protection.

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
tashboog I do a modified pineapple using a silk scarf instead of a band and my hair usually last for at least 3 days. Usually I loose my curls because of work (hair has to be covered) or working out (bikram yoga). I just sweep all my curls forward with my hand, tie silk scarf with knot in front and then apply satin bonnet over front for extra protection.
I've tried modifying the pineapple method using the scarf once before but my hair still looked crazy the next day :lol:. Maybe I'll revisit it again next week and if I still can't maintain the curls then I'll just continue to use curlformers to stretch my hair rather than wearing it as a style :yep:.

ecadnacmc

Lillama I always wet set. I get a much smoother results that way. I was using heat with my wet set but then I watched naptural85's latest video and she recommended air drying for @ least 6 hrs, which is what I did.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I'm really getting hang of curlformers. Last set using Giovanni's SAS & my oil mix only to seal. No heat.

View attachment 144955

View attachment 144957
Your set came out sooo pretty :gorgeous:!! Do you feel its helping with ur retention? I think its helping with mine cuz I'm almost BSL in back of my hair. I didn't think my hair was growing but curlformers is all I've been using to stretch my hair weekly so my retention must be from the curlformers and protective styling :yep:.

ecadnacmc

@ writergirl I assumed heat would make my hair less frizzy but I think the opposite is true. I usually use heat becuz I don't have time to airdry but I'm going to try & make time from now on.

Last edited:

g.lo

Hi girls, can someone give me tips on how to prevent frizzy ends! the curlformers really make my hair straight but sometimes are frizzy:ohwell: and sometimes very straight!

thanks

Hazel

I use Aveda Smooth Infusion. It's expensive, but it gives me a smooth finish. I've also used argan and castor oils on my ends.