CurlFormers Questions?

JJamiah

Okay I know some of you ladies are experienced CurlFormer users. I have some reservations about buying these.

Have you gotten breakage from these things?

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)?

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style?

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls?

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair?
Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?)

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers :)

Thanks it is just a heavy investment and I wanted more input. Thanks ladies in advance!

liteskinshowdy

Have you gotten breakage from these things? My first couple of tries until I got a good technique going

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? Style looks wonderful first day and then the curls drop to long waves unless you use some type of holding spray

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? 1 day
How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? with the extra long and wide i never tried, my first set was with the green and blue (loved them but i let them go one my hair got longer)

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? soaking wet

Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) relaxed- saw some videos of naturals with the smaller size and it worked great for them.

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers - love mine

Your Cheeziness

It's been a while since I used them, but I'll contribute if it helps:

Have you gotten breakage from these things? No, they are fairly easy to install. By the time I instsalled the 3rd or 4th one, I'd gotten the hang of it. If you detangle the section well enough and don't use too much hair for the curlformer, it will slide through easily.

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? My hair was about 2 inches from APL when I used them so not really long. But I didn't have an issue. I had plenty of room left.

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? I believe mine kept about 5 days or so.

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? I chose to install a few curlformers around the sides and back of my head every other night on dry hair to keep the curl longer. I sleep on my sides so this allowed me to keep a slightly looser version of the original set a few days longer.

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? I set it on wet hair like a normal rollerset.

Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) I was relaxed.

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers I don't really have any complaints. They are great for stretching because they'll straighten roots pretty well without the need for direct heat. I say an 9 because I wish I'd found a way to maintain the style better without having to reroll.

Pitcha of my set in my Fotki.

Last edited:

JJamiah

Thanks ladies I really an intersted in getting these and keep flip flopping between getting them and not. I think it would help me with styling options. I just don't need breakage on my medium fine strands.

faithVA

Thanks ladies I really an intersted in getting these and keep flip flopping between getting them and not. I think it would help me with styling options. I just don't need breakage on my medium fine strands.

This is not related to your original question, but have you ever considered just buying 1 pack and trying those to see how you like them? Then you won't make as big of an investment as if you buy several packs.

Solitude

Have you gotten breakage from these things?
No, but I only used them twice.

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)?
I used the long and wide and some were too short for my APL-length hair. There were also not enough in the full set for my relaxed hair, which is very thick.

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style?
Not for me. The first time, 1 day. The second time I used Lottabody and it lasted for 2 days. The curls started falling immediately both times. I will say that they weren't bad to sleep in and my hair dried fairly quickly.

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls?
Perhaps if you have the right setting products, you can put on a bonnet and make the style last.

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair?
Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?)
Relaxed. It might make a difference. I can see how they could tangle more in curlier hair. I set my hair on wet hair - the first time, using foam setting lotion and the second time using diluted Lottabody. I continually wet my hair wtih a spray bottle during the process.

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers
3 I'd easily give away the set to a family member or a friend. They work pretty much as stated in the ads, except that I found them hard to install. The hook kept snagging on my hair, which made me afraid of breakage in the long-run. It also took forever to put all of the curlformers in.

Thanks it is just a heavy investment and I wanted more input. Thanks ladies in advance!

Your Cheeziness

Sally's will allow you to return it if you don't like it. Just keep your receipt and all the pieces.

winona

Have you gotten breakage from these things? Only when I am too rough with detangling:)

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? My hair is just touching APL now so I am not sure. What I do notice is if I try to get them super close to my scalp (I am BKTed natural) my roots look like I have a relaxer but my hair is more than halfway down the roller.

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? My stay for 3 days then I have to pin them up because I am a wild sleep.

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? I dont wear a satin scarf because they would get smushed. I just sleep on my satin pillowcase. After day 3 I just pin them up for a really pretty updo until day 5. Everything I just describe is how I get by when I do not work that week. I do intense cardio most weeks so day 3 then a pin up bun is how I would wear it. Either way I can get 5 day hair:)

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? I do it on freshly wash and dced hair. I use whatever poo or poo bar, dc with something moisturizing, apply lots of leave in and setting solution (lately KeraCare foam wrap)
Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) BKT natural. I think it makes a difference with my roots as I can see how a relaxed lady would not need to get so close.

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers 8 because I can get my fix of wearing my hair out while doing a low manipulation style and my hubby loves it:)

rririla

Sally's will allow you to return it if you don't like it. Just keep your receipt and all the pieces.

I think it depends on where you live, I tried to return mine and had to threaten to go to corporate b/c there is no clear return policy, but the manager said she was going to give me a break this ''one'' time , but that they don't just return stuff that has been used...she was very rude about it too, I am in NY btw....so before purchasing them I would find out if they allow you to return them.

Last edited:

sydwrites

Have you gotten breakage from these things? No, you do have to be careful and detangle well, also using small amounts of hair per roller makes a huge difference

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? My hair is only APL, but I remember seeing pics of long-haired members with beautiful sets when they were all the rage so its def possible

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? For me its a 3 day with the original look, but I usually transition into an updo or headband look to last a few more days. ill do it on a Sunday to get the work week in. Setting lotion when setting and silicone/wax based product of choice when releasing the curls does wonders.

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? usually a pineapple type pullup, but i generally just sleep on the side of my face.

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? def wet hair, that gives the best long lasting set, damp hair can do a quick look or put curl in already straightened hair but it will be loose curls/waves not the rollerset look
Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) Natural, I believe it makes a difference because I probably would do a regular rollerset with magnetic or flexi-rods depending on the curlformer size to achieve the same look for cheaper if you had that skillset, but I never get my rollersets as smooth, especially the roots as i do with curlformers, as a natural head. Im mostly 4a with some 4b btw

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers Ill give them an 8, I love them but i still wish they were cheaper and I had a 25% off coupon lol. Of course they paid for themselves after the first set compared to going to the salon :yep:

Last edited:

reeko43

I bought a small pack. It took some practice but I liked the curls enough to go ahead and buy a full set. I got mine off Ebay for $40, not the immitation, so that may be an avenue for you as well. I have long and wide because my hair is not thick and I have bsb hair. I still had plenty of room. I haven't done a complete set yet. Haven't had time.

alive

hey JJamiah :wave: i just did this over the weekend. answers below:

Have you gotten breakage from these things? no, thankfully

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? pretty good. i use the wide and long

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? definitely a 1 day style. the hair stays relatively stretched but the curls don't last. it's my alternative when i want the blowdried look without using the blowdryer

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? haven't had luck with this yet

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? for me, soaking wet makes for a smoother set. i just don't put alot of products when im "curlforming" (is that a word? :lol:) otherwise it wont dry :nono:

Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) natural. i think these things would work way better on relaxed hair. but they do what i want so i'm okay with using them even though my hair has muscles

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers :) 6 (would have said 8 but they cost 5 times as much as regular rollers)

Last edited:

BrookeLynn

I purchased the salon kit ($63 at Sallys using the discount card) and installed the entire set into my 17 year olds bra strap length hair tonight. She is 3 months into a stretched relaxer so it took some practice not to tangle her hair while installing the rollers. I got the hang of it towards the end. I can't wait to see the results tomorrow morning. :)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This is not related to your original question, but have you ever considered just buying 1 pack and trying those to see how you like them? Then you won't make as big of an investment as if you buy several packs.

This I what I think I'm gonna do. I've been debating on these since they came out because they are pricey and I thought my hair might be too long. I think I will buy a pack and use them with flexirods. I hope I don't have to have 50 of these just to get a full set.

liteskinshowdy

@liteskinshowdy

would you mind sharing what you think you did wrong your first few trys and what can I do to avoid breakage?

I bought mine when they first came out and no one really knew how to use them. I was trying to put too much hair into it. Also when it's time to take them out make sure that the curlformer is perfectly straight all the way down your hair. If you use them right and let them dry completely you will get great benefits from these. I would use a little Mane and Tail conditioner on each one- when using the green and blue ones my set would last about a week- i would pull the sides up and clip them back if they started to get flat or just moisturize a section and put the roller back in over night and I was good the next day. You could pull them all up in a loose ponytail to also perserve the curls. I have the yellow and pink now and my hair pokes out of the ends so I have to slide them down to cover the ends. Anyway, hope this helps.

liteskinshowdy

Also, I agree with the other poster that said they help with stretching- green/blue and pink/orange. When I moved up to the yellow and fuchsia I was think of just using them to achieve a regular rollerset look because the curls don't last more than a day. They do look great fresh out of the roller though.

JJamiah

I might try it definitely I am thinking about it. I might have to use hair spray on them fresh out of them HUH! I am definitely going to let you ladies know, I am waiting on a coupon to get them and will post pictures.

I am over 4 weeks post so, this will be perfect to see if this is great for stretching for myself.

You Ladies are awesome. I want to thank you for taking your time to answer my questions. I was on the edge of the ledge not knowing weather to jump in or not. I think I am going to dip my feet into the waters and give it a month at least. :)

BrookeLynn

Wow I am not impressed. After all that work her curls didn't even last one day. She said as soon as she got to school they dropped. Her hair is now brushed back into a frizzy ponytail. :/

JJamiah

Wow I am not impressed. After all that work her curls didn't even last one day. She said as soon as she got to school they dropped. Her hair is now brushed back into a frizzy ponytail. :/

:ohwell: Awww man are you going to try again?
HUH that stinks I want to try to use setting lotion maybe the wen Styling creme can offer me a soft set that last. I can't picture doing alot of work for a set that won't last more then a day :nono:

nakialovesshoes

Have you gotten breakage from these things? If I did experience breakage, it was only during the 1st set when I was getting the hang of using the curlers.

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? Honestly, I think you'll need the extra long on your length hair.

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? I could wear this style for a week.

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? Don't think I'm weird but I would do the style on a Saturday, airdry all day & then sleep in the curlformers - all 45+ of them - so that they would be fresh for church. After that I would loosely pin up the back & sides for the 1st couple of nights. By the 3rd day I would pin curl larger sections to make the curls last until the next wash day. Hope this makes sense.

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? Soaking wet
Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) I used them as a natural. I got relaxed hair results by doing very small sections. When I was chemically treated with a curly perm, I also used them. Because of the chemicals, I didn't have to do the sections as small as when I was natural.

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers :) 10+++ I can't wait until my hair is long enough to use them again.

JJamiah

JJamiah- If you are buying the smaller curlformers your curls will last for days. Check folks on youtube.

liteskinshowdy I wanted the extra wide, I love the wide curls not so much the tighter ones I have flexi rods for my sets, I really love the video of a particular gal and her CURLS were all that an popping for me, I was really worried about them being too short and my hair sticking out [USER=30119]nakialovesshoes

Thanks so much. I guess I will do my beach waves with my pillow soft rollers :sad:

Maybe when I cut my hair in the future it will work for me. Thanks ladies :)

lilyofthenile

Have you gotten breakage from these things? When I tried to install I, yes, but it was my first time. Removing them was also a pain in the **s

How does it work on long hair ( I want the extra wide & Long)? I think it works fine on long hair. I used wide and long, not the extra kind I believe, but it was still nice.

How long does it stay? is this a 3 day hair style? Mine went that day. I came back home and my hair was an afro. It was very hot and humid outside, I wasn't prepared for this at all.

How do you keep it longer then 3 days other then pin curls? Never tried.

Do you have damp hair or soak n wet hair? Damp.
Are you relaxed or Natural? (does it really make a difference?) Natural. I suspect relaxed hair would have a much smoother finish.

Rate from 1 - 10 on your like or love for Curl Formers 5, but subject to change, simply because my first time experience with installing and removal was disappointing. I hope to try it again when my hair is much longer and when it's not so hot and humid outside.

BTW, I believe you really need something which can hold the curls like a hold spray or something. Some types are more effective than others in keeping your curs longer lasting etc or giving you curls at all.