Curlformers... The Big Return

metro_qt

Hello,
I've recently bought curlformers, and I used em once.
I loved the results, but I couldn't justify the 50 bucks I spent on them for the hairstyle (It wasn't one that I was going to be wearing everyday)

I loved other people's results, but in the end I returned mine.

When i returned mine, the Sally's lady asked me why, and I told her.
She said Oh. Soooooo many people have been returning their curlformers!!!
She said people keep buying them, and most of them have been returned.

What about you guys... Have you all kept yours or returned them???

(oh yes. for those people that live in Toronto, and didn't want to drive all the way up to brampton, I just saw curlformers at the Stockyards Sally's on St Clair avenue.)

bouncy

I've kept mine. I haven't given up completely but....

I have natural 4a/b hair. The problem is that curling the hair takes longer than the actual style lasts. I am playing around with different products to see if I can find something that works (setting lotions, gels, etc) but really, by the end of the day, the curls are looking frizzy. And THEY WILL NOT LAST OVERNIGHT. Plus, I'm not too thrilled with all of those ringlets, looking like a little girl at church on Easter Sunday.

Long story short, I will keep them for special occasions. They aren't practical as part of my regular hair routine, especially since I like to workout. One thought I did have is do my regular 2 strand twists and then curl the twists??

I want to try it this weekend... We'll see. (wish me luck):perplexed

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I kept mine, I LOVE them. I have the long and narrow and long and wide. They are SO quick and easy to use. I have SL permed 4Aish hair... my hair does very well with them.

When you did the style, did you break the spirals up with your fingers or did you leave them whole? I think that makes a big difference in the style:yep:

AfroKink

I have natural 4a/b hair. The problem is that curling the hair takes longer than the actual style lasts. I am playing around with different products to see if I can find something that works (setting lotions, gels, etc) but really, by the end of the day, the curls are looking frizzy. And THEY WILL NOT LAST OVERNIGHT. Plus, I'm not too thrilled with all of those ringlets, looking like a little girl at church on Easter Sunday.

Long story short, I will keep them for special occasions. They aren't practical as part of my regular hair routine, especially since I like to workout. One thought I did have is do my regular 2 strand twists and then curl the twists??

I want to try it this weekend... We'll see. (wish me luck):perplexed

This is me too. Mine lasted all day, but didn't survive my sleeping. Do other roller sets last longer for you? I've never done a rollerset before. I'm going to attempt them again. Only this time I'm going to try to pin them before bed or something.

Lys

SweetAKA

This is me too. Mine lasted all day, but didn't survive my sleeping. Do other roller sets last longer for you? I've never done a rollerset before. I'm going to attempt them again. Only this time I'm going to try to pin them before bed or something.

Lys

I had this same problem. I'm keeping them though because I am challenged when it comes to doing roller sets of any kind. Each time I use them they get better. I just wish I could find a good way to sleep on them to make them look good. Since I seperate mine, I end up waking up in the morning looking like I got a bush on top of my head.

AfroKink

I had this same problem. I'm keeping them though because I am challenged when it comes to doing roller sets of any kind. Each time I use them they get better. I just wish I could find a good way to sleep on them to make them look good. Since I seperate mine, I end up waking up in the morning looking like I got a bush on top of my head.

I don't mind the resulting bush, but it wasn't what I was going for. In my fotki I have pics of my curlformer set on days 1 through 3. I still got compliments on day 3, but it looks so different from day 1.

Lys

blasiancurlie

i only used mines once so far too. i want to return them but i don't have the original packaging anymore. i think i just look way too young when i use these. i already look young and having these short spiral curls doesn't make it any better.

Hello,
I loved the results, but I couldn't justify the 50 bucks I spent on them for the hairstyle (It wasn't one that I was going to be wearing everyday)

(oh yes. for those people that live in Toronto, and didn't want to drive all the way up to brampton, I just saw curlformers at the Stockyards Sally's on St Clair avenue.)

MizAvalon

I still have mine and I'm keeping them. Certainly not an everyday style but nice for special occasions. A million times easier and better looking than a rollerset.

I'm not surprised that people are taking them back though. Isn't that always the case with these bandwagon type things?

~~HoneyComb~~

I returned mine, the ones I had a receipt for, and the ones I didn't have a receipt for I sold them for a lower price. They just didn't work for my curly ends. My hair got tangled in the curlformer, and the ends never straightened out, so I replaced mine for flexirods which works much better for my hair, and they were cheaper too:grin:.

Monigirl

I still have them and plan to keep them for life. Pincurling will save the style for longer wear. I love using them on dry hair to achieve a looser curl look (Thanks to QueenT). I plan to purchase the extra wide and long by Dec 2008 and maybe by that time they will be a little cheaper :grin: and my hair a little longer.

ETA: My twin sister has shoulder length relaxed hair and loves them to death. People constantly compliments her and ask who does her hair. They are a keeper to her too.

Last edited:

Cien

Pink is my signature color
I still have mine, love them and plan on keeping them!! :yep:

Once I read the various threads with tips on how to use them properly, I got better results---with no loss of hair.

I usually separate them, and wear my hair pinned up after using them though.

Lucky's Mom

I am glad someone posted.
I got some money today - and I was going to Curlform tonight.

I think that flexis will be the choice today.
Thanks Girls!

hrtbndr21

I kept mine, I love em...they really get my roots straigt unlike flexi rods:perplexed

I agree my hair was so nice and stretched out. I might use them the next time I flat iron instead of blowing my hair out first.

Yep I'm keeping mine, in fact I'm buying two more packs so I can get better coverage.

AfroKink

I kept mine, I love em...they really get my roots straigt unlike flexi rods:perplexed

I agree my hair was so nice and stretched out. I might use them the next time I flat iron instead of blowing my hair out first.

Yep I'm keeping mine, in fact I'm buying two more packs so I can get better coverage.

You two look like 4-something naturals. How do you maintain your set overnight?

Lys

civic4800

I returned mine. Although I really liked the curls that they produced, I didn't like the hairs that I was pulling out as I tried to figure how to pull the hair through the curlformer. I'm sure with some practice, I may have gotten it but I didn't want to keep pulling out hair in the meantime. I'd be willing to repurchase if there were some videos out there of black women showing they get their curlformers on their heads:yep:

hrtbndr21

You two look like 4-something naturals. How do you maintain your set overnight?

Lys

I've only used them once so far last weekend. My allergies were really acting up that day so I took a large dose of Benadryl and ended up knocked out before I could wrap it up properly. :wallbash:

The curls were still there but not as defined as I would have liked. I have to do it again and wrap it up right next time. Maybe pinning the curls up might work.

Mohair2008

I returned mine. Although I really liked the curls that they produced, I didn't like the hairs that I was pulling out as I tried to figure how to pull the hair through the curlformer. I'm sure with some practice, I may have gotten it but I didn't want to keep pulling out hair in the meantime. I'd be willing to repurchase if there were some videos out there of black women showing they get their curlformers on their heads:yep:

Dido: Returned them. Once I saw a chunk of my hair on the end of that rod, I left them alone for about a week (thinking I might try them again later) I practiced several times on dry hair and had no prob but when it came to wet hair, there were too many issues. So I nicely packed them up, stapled the plastic back to cardboard and took them back.

MissJ

Hello,

I used mine once and returned all 6 packs and the hook.

tricie

I kept mine, I LOVE them. I have the long and narrow and long and wide. They are SO quick and easy to use. I have SL permed 4Aish hair... my hair does very well with them.

When you did the style, did you break the spirals up with your fingers or did you leave them whole? I think that makes a big difference in the style:yep:

Ditto! I just used them all over on permed SL hair, and I look like a different person (to me, anyway); love em!!
I do mine on lightly spritzed (w/ CD black vanilla leave in condish) hair; I can't wait to see what they'll look like after using them on sopping wet hair!

metro_qt

(wish me luck):perplexed

Looooool!!!
This is exactly what I told the lady as I returned mine!
The style would not last over night, and I looked too shirley Temple-y....

She just told me that on Caucasian girls, they have better results:nono:

metro_qt

i only used mines once so far too. i want to return them but i don't have the original packaging anymore. i think i just look way too young when i use these. i already look young and having these short spiral curls doesn't make it any better.

I hear that, i look real young too.. so the spirals were not helping me.
Did you really throw away all of your packaging? That's too bad!
Maybe you can exchange them with someone here on the hairboard.. or sell them at a discounted price...

KPH

House Head
i did the Queen T method and use them now only on dry hair with jojoba oil and the hair is simply beautiful and my hair is chin length:grin:

Rei

its nice to know the next time i think about buying curlformers, all of the packs in sallys will be returned used ones lol :perplexed