Curlformers Warning!

BeautifulFlower

I brought my curlformers today and I was really excited. But it all went away when alot of my hair started to come out from the pulling. I wish I could do it like the other ladies that are getting great results but it doesnt seem to be working for me.

So Warning...it you feel like you're pulling too hard to get the hair in, YOU PROBABLY ARE!

Lucky thing I have thick hair so it wont be noticable but ALOT came out until I just stopped and said, "OKAY you have lost enough hair".

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Sorry this happened to you Prettyface :sad:.

I posted in another thread that my hair would probably get ripped out even if it was completely dry. I don't think these are for everyone. Maybe if someone did it for you you instead of DIY.

so so chic

Thanks for this advice. I will definitely keep it in mind. I do plan on trying them out, so I will be really careful.

BeautifulFlower

Sorry this happened to you Prettyface :sad:.

I posted in another thread that my hair would probably get ripped out even if it was completely dry. I don't think these are for everyone. Maybe if someone did it for you you instead of DIY.

You're so right. But I brought them to have quick styles I can do without having to depend on someone to do it for me. So i'm either going to get a weave or some braids. :look:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
You're so right. But I brought them to have quick styles I can do without having to depend on someone to do it for me. So i'm either going to get a weave or some braids. :look:

I understand. Have someone do it for you anyway so you can see how it looks!

Do you rollerset? I actually got a good one yesterday. Normally when I do one, it just doesn't look right, but the one I did yesterday was pretty good! :yep:
I pinned it up with some pins last night and when I took it down today, it still looked good. Yay for me! :yep:

BeautifulFlower

I understand. Have someone do it for you anyway so you can see how it looks!

Do you rollerset? I actually got a good one yesterday. Normally when I do one, it just doesn't look right, but the one I did yesterday was pretty good! :yep:
I pinned it up with some pins last night and when I took it down today, it still looked good. Yay for me! :yep:

Yeah. I want to see how it will come out but I am scared of them now. I am going to take them back. I stick to rollersets and flexi-rods but I still havent perfected them so I guess now is a good opportunity to get cracking on perfecting those techniques. How do you rollerset?

*Frisky*

Sorry you had to go thru this...your hair will recover after awhile...the hook piece is what turned me off on using these. I think that it's wonderful that some of the ladies are having excellent results but I dont want to risk doing damage to my hair. I will stick with the flexirods...

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Yeah. I want to see how it will come out but I am scared of them now. I am going to take them back. I stick to rollersets and flexi-rods but I still havent perfected them so I guess now is a good opportunity to get cracking on perfecting those techniques. How do you rollerset?

Well, this is what I did this time:
Condition, Wash, Deep Condition THEN used Nexxus Headress as my leave-in this time. I use the clip on magnetic rollers. I have fine thin hair so I only need about 20 rollers. I put a smidge of NH on the ends before applying my end papers and roll. I sit under my hard bonnet hairdryer 1 hour. Remover rollers carefully. Get back in the dryer for another 10 minutes to make sure hair is completely dry.

chicacanella

I'm sorry that happened to you. Maybe it has something to do with texture and/or density and strand width. It seemed like the earlier women who posted were 3b/c ish with fine hair and medium density. That could be a big factor.:yep:

BeautifulFlower

Well, this is what I did this time:
Condition, Wash, Deep Condition THEN used Nexxus Headress as my leave-in this time. I use the clip on magnetic rollers. I have fine thin hair so I only need about 20 rollers. I put a smidge of NH on the ends before applying my end papers and roll. I sit under my hard bonnet hairdryer 1 hour. Remover rollers carefully. Get back in the dryer for another 10 minutes to make sure hair is completely dry.

Seem simple enough. Yeah, I'll start roller setting again.

Cayenne0622

I saw ththe curlformers a while back. I studied the pack while I was in the Sally's but I didn't think they would work well for AA hair. I was excited to see that the ladies here ended up trying them recently and so many ladies had excellent results so I was definitely tempted to go back and give them a try. I am thankful for your post because my hair has not shown much endurance for anything other than airdrying. I see hair all over my hands when I attempt rollerset so I knowwwww my hair would be all over the floor if I used the Curlformers which is what I kind of figured when I first looked at the package.

Thanks for posting your experience.

BeautifulFlower

I'm sorry that happened to you. Maybe it has something to do with texture and/or density and strand width. It seemed like the earlier women who posted were 3b/c ish with fine hair and medium density. That could be a big factor.:yep:

That very true. I have think and coarse hair. And I am so rocking 3 textures (natural, texlaxed, and bone straight). I am transitioning from bone straight to texlaxed and also stretching for the next 6 months. :lachen: SO yeah I have alot going on.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

I agree. I've seen them at Sally's a while ago, but I knew my hair wouldn't be able to handle 'em.

BeautifulFlower

I really want the ladies that think the curlformers will give them great results to try it. If hair comes out abnormally, STOP and take them back. But I wanted to give those that wants to give it a try to be cautious.

I saw ththe curlformers a while back. I studied the pack while I was in the Sally's but I didn't think they would work well for AA hair. I was excited to see that the ladies here ended up trying them recently and so many ladies had excellent results so I was definitely tempted to go back and give them a try. I am thankful for your post because my hair has not shown much endurance for anything other than airdrying. I see hair all over my hands when I attempt rollerset so I knowwwww my hair would be all over the floor if I used the Curlformers which is what I kind of figured when I first looked at the package.

Thanks for posting your experience.

Coolata

I am sorry to hear this. As I read this posting, my 4 yr old is under the dryer. I was so excited with the results posted on the forum. I decided to purchase the curlformers. My hair is short, thin and relaxed. Her hair is virgin and I am assuming 3c/4a. Her hair stretched is longer than mine. I purchased the green and blue( short and narrow) curlformers. She could have used thr long and narrow. I used Lacio Lacio, Citre Shine polishing serum and Balck n Sassy creamy set on her hair. I will post back the results and hopefully I can post some pics in my Fotki. ......this daylight savings has really got me off schedule.

Keeping my fingers cross......

PinkPeony

Sorry you had to go thru this...your hair will recover after awhile...the hook piece is what turned me off on using these. I think that it's wonderful that some of the ladies are having excellent results but I dont want to risk doing damage to my hair. I will stick with the flexirods...
Same here,my hair is too fine and fragil for curlformers.
besides flexi rods are so darn easy and cheaper lol.
Good luck to anyone with the curlformers tough:yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I am sorry to hear this. As I read this posting, my 4 yr old is under the dryer. I was so excited with the results posted on the forum. I decided to purchase the curlformers. My hair is short, thin and relaxed. Her hair is virgin and I am assuming 3c/4a. Her hair stretched is longer than mine. I purchased the green and blue( short and narrow) curlformers. She could have used thr long and narrow. I used Lacio Lacio, Citre Shine polishing serum and Balck n Sassy creamy set on her hair. I will post back the results and hopefully I can post some pics in my Fotki. ......this daylight savings has really got me off schedule.

Keeping my fingers cross......

Sounds like it 's going to turn out pretty!

Tee

I am just so mad at the hell I just went through with these darn things.:wallbash: I felt like I was pulling out all my darn hair out and once I got the thing to work, it was no way all my hair was going to fit in the curlformer without either having some hanging at the ends (frizzy ends) or having the curlformer halfway down my strands. (puffy roots) I even got the hook stuck and tangled a few times trying to pull it through. I really wanted them to work. After 30 mins, I put them up! This will be a braid out week!!! Maybe I will try them one time before they go back to Sally's!

SparklingFlame

These things are hella hard to put in, sho nuff.

I am siting under the dryer now with my second set. It went pretty well until I got to the last 8 or so. Then I started having all the same problems ya'll are having:hair getting stuck, hard to pull thru, ect. I am DETERMINED to master this cuz its 100x easer than rollersetting IMO.

OP I am SO sorry its not working for you. I'm sure it would ce a great look on you.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Thanks to DLewis :)blowkiss:), I used the Perm Stabilizer product that she suggested. I mixed it with water, used it to set the rollers. I was even able to use a fine tooth comb and the comb just glided through my hair. No othr product does this for me.

When doing a traditional rollerset, I tend to lose lots of hair. Not this time. When I finished setting the curlformers, I had only lost maybe 5 hairs which appears to be shedded hairs. I'm so thrilled because they worked for me after struggling at first. One thing that you "must" do: make sure your hair is wet! Better to as wet as possible. That way, you don't get the hook caught in.

Also: I learned that it's much easier when you pull the hook downward once you get the hair inside of the rod. When pulling the hook inside of the curlformer, pull it downward, not up and not straight through. Practice pulling it downward. It's quicker, easier, and less tension on the hair.

I'm sitting under the dryer with these damn things in my hair. I hope it doesn't take all night to dry.:drunk:

BeautifulFlower

Thanks to DLewis :)blowkiss:), I used the Perm Stabilizer product that she suggested. I mixed it with water, used it to set the rollers. I was even able to use a fine tooth comb and the comb just glided through my hair. No othr product does this for me.

When doing a traditional rollerset, I tend to lose lots of hair. Not this time. When I finished setting the curlformers, I had only lost maybe 5 hairs which appears to be shedded hairs. I'm so thrilled because they worked for me after struggling at first. One thing that you "must" do: make sure your hair is wet! Better to as wet as possible. That way, you don't get the hook caught in.

Also: I learned that it's much easier when you pull the hook downward once you get the hair inside of the rod. When pulling the hook inside of the curlformer, pull it downward, not up and not straight through. Practice pulling it downward. It's quicker, easier, and less tension on the hair.

I'm sitting under the dryer with these damn things in my hair. I hope it doesn't take all night to dry.:drunk:

I had a handy water bottle with me but I think the hair way made it more fragile. :perplexed That pulling downward does make sense though, hmmmm....

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
These things are hella hard to put in, sho nuff.

I am siting under the dryer now with my second set. It went pretty well until I got to the last 8 or so. Then I started having all the same problems ya'll are having:hair getting stuck, hard to pull thru, ect. I am DETERMINED to master this cuz its 100x easer than rollersetting IMO.

OP I am SO sorry its not working for you. I'm sure it would ce a great look on you.

Though I have been roller setting my hair every since I was 15, I do still sometimes get frustrated. It takes practice. But these Curlformers are much easier to use. Make sure:

1. Don't use too much hair for one Curlformer. It may cause too much tension and tangling.

2. Once you get the hair on the hook, make sure the top of the Curlformer is closer to the part where your hair is at the hook itself. It keeps from tangling and pulling the hair once you start pulling the hook through the Curlformer rod.

3. When pulling the hair through the Curlformer, pull DOWNWARD!! This forces the hook through the Curlformer without tugging and pulling, thus pulling the hair out.

4. Use the hand that you're not using to pull the hook through to hold the Curlformer at the opening and close to the scalp. It took me several frustrating times before I got the hand of it. You don't want bulky roots. If you hold the top part of the Curlformer while pulling the hook through with the other hand, you get a nice, snug fit at the roots, thereby getting straighter roots.

SparklingFlame

Though I have been roller setting my hair every since I was 15, I do still sometimes get frustrated. It takes practice. But these Curlformers are much easier to use. Make sure:

1. Don't use too much hair for one Curlformer. It may cause too much tension and tangling.

2. Once you get the hair on the hook, make sure the top of the Curlformer is closer to the part where your hair is at the hook itself. It keeps from tangling and pulling the hair once you start pulling the hook through the Curlformer rod.

3. When pulling the hair through the Curlformer, pull DOWNWARD!! This forces the hook through the Curlformer without tugging and pulling, thus pulling the hair out.

4. Use the hand that you're not using to pull the hook through to hold the Curlformer at the opening and close to the scalp. It took me several frustrating times before I got the hand of it. You don't want bulky roots. If you hold the top part of the Curlformer while pulling the hook through with the other hand, you get a nice, snug fit at the roots, thereby getting straighter roots.
This is EXCELLENT advise!

LJewel

This is indeed excellent advise. I just finished using the Curlformers and I am setting under the dryer. It was hard at first to put them in and it did take me a long time. But I know that practice will make perfect and fast. There were times when the hook would get stuck and I felt like I was pulling too hard on my hair so I just pushed the hook back out again and started over so that I would not put too much tension on my hair. Some went on real smoothly and some were hard to put on but I know I will get better. I can not wait to see what my hair looks like....I have very thin hair so any volume is a blessing. I will post pics tomorrow under "Thin Haired Curlformer User"....if it does not look like a hot mess when I take these things out in the morning. Keep your fingers crossed for me.