Curly Naturals & Transitioners: BC or Long Transition? And why?

Diva_Esq

So, I am a little over 6 months post (5-2-09 was my last relaxer) & I am having a dilemma about whether or not to BC. :perplexed

My original plan was to do a long-term transition and trim about every 3-4 months until the natural hair is at least between SL & APL. Then I'd cut all the relaxed ends and go from there.

My hair is about 12.5 inches long total. About 4.65 inches is natural, the remainder is relaxed.

I am feeling that itch to do a BC and start working with my natural texture. I am a 3-something as far as hair type, so I am anxious to really start playing with my curls and products...see what my natural curl/ wave pattern is...what products will make my curls pop while growing it out without all the relaxer on the ends.

Dilemmas:

Hubby doesn't like short hair.

My hair has never been shorter than chin length & people freaked out when I cut it that short. I liked it.

I ALWAYS have long hair. I plan to try and grow my natural hair to MBL or WL and will likely NEVER cut it short again. I think this may be my only opportunity to see myself with short hair.

I saw this fly chick at a comedy show this past weekend with a cute curly/ wavy cut (about 3-4" of hair) & a fly Kango...I love hats! I loved her steelo though & it got me to thinking. :look:

I wonder if I might be missing out on a really freeing opportunity to cut away the hair and really experience myself.

But...........I like buns. I am managing 2 textures fine. My hair is healthy. No breakage. No issues. Healthy ends. No knots. No excessive tangling. PATIENCE IS NOT MY STRONG POINT!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Any advice? Any suggestions?

Anyone transition more than once and do it both ways that has a recommendation?

Curly divas...I need advice! Lay it on me! :D

TIA!

MochaEyeCandy

I transitioned for 9 months. I wanted to transition for at least a year, but I just couldn't take the various textures anymore. I had just taken my kinky twists down, and I had 2 options....spend countless hours detangling ends I had no intention of keeping anyhow, or suck it up and cut at the line of demarcation. I cut, I was happy with my decision, and I haven't looked back. As a matter of fact, I'm almost 1 year post chop and I'm considering bcing again cause I loved my hair when it was short. So I'm on team bc...if you like your hair short, and don't anticipate going short once you're 100% natural, I say go for it. :yep:

PrincessLinzz

I never chopped off my hair. I let the relaxer grow out over the years. It was a long and very ugly process. I went from straight hair to looking like Kelis in '99. It was weird but then I just put my curly hair in low buns and it just took time. My hair texture has changed totally, it is very wavy, looks almost weavie (the texture)...but I occasionally just go to my dominican hair salon and blow it straight without the chemz.

It was an ugly process but well worth it.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Long transition. I am too attached to my length and it is still healthy so I'm not pressed to cut. I do wish time could pass faster though. I can't really remember my last transition, because I was wearing a short cut that was sort of texlaxed and just never relaxed again.

I don't think you should cut until you are ready to be the length of your natural hair w/shrinkage. Just try to be patient since you have everything else under control. I stay out of threads that test my patience like bcs, etc.
I just make sure my hair is taken care of and try not to think about it much more, because I ain't got nothing but time.

lexiwiththecurls

I personally decided to do the BC because it was beast trying to match the two textures for me. I had to keep my hair straight (at the time I didnt think about twist sets) plus where I worked, I had to have my hair down and done. It was such a hassle because if I sweat then I would have big roots and straight ends. I, like you, always had long hair so I wasn't comfortable with short hair. What I did was a BC down to about 4 inches (forgot how long I transitioned- I believe 9 months). Immediately after, because I never had short hair- I got microbraids at the time. If you are feeling like cutting and then you end up not liking it then you can always get a sew in or something and let your hair grow out to the length that you feel comfortable. The only thing about long transitions is that point where the natural hair and relaxed hair meets becomes weak, especially the longer it grows so it has the weight and tension. That is my take..but please do what is best for you.

purplepeace79

I always go with BC, but its a personal choice.
I personally believe the two textures do more harm than good because people are generally inclined to use heat to make the new growth blend with the permed ends and that can be very damaging. Also, if people aren't careful, the permed ends can get damaged and that damage can affect the new growth.

Plus, I think there is a bit of liberation in just cutting the hair off and starting over. But for those not doing it for any deep reasons, they might not have that same liberating feeling.

Ronnieaj

I also did the BC. I transitioned for seven months and chopped it. Now, my SO could care less how long my hair is, but I do think your hubby's feelings have some play in this. At the risk of starting anything [REALLY NOT TRYING TO], I just wouldn't want to deal with a disgruntled person until my hair was long, if it's that big of a deal. There's already enough of an adjustment without disgruntled folks around.

I'm 4a, and even though I had curly styles, wash day was just plain evil and I couldn't deal. I'd originally planned for a year, but I was VERY happy with my decision after 7 months, and haven't looked back. Good luck!

Sweet_Ambrosia

I opted towards a long transition. I wasn’t too anxious to chop all of my hair off, there was no need to. Dealing with the different textures wasn’t much of a hassle, my main styles were buns and braidouts and I baggied my ends often which helped a great deal. I trimmed my ends every so often (every few months) to help speed up the process a bit, the processed lasted for 2 years though. :lol: I don’t feel that I missed out on anything by not bc’ing, the day that my hair was finally 100% natural was freeing enough for me. :grin: If you have the patience to transition for a year or more go for it, but if you don’t bc’ing may be a better option for you.

princessnad

Long transition. I am almost 2 years into it. My natural hair is about APL. I'm going another year.

My face is too round for short hair.

Miss AJ

The first time around I was uber length obsessed so I opted to transition for 1 year. I almost made it but I chopped at 10 months. My hair was the shortest it had ever been but not too short that I couldn't do anything with it and it took me no time to gain my SL status again. I goofed up and relaxed 2 years worth of natural growth in basic training and I kept on relaxing because I didn't want to lose my length. Somewhere along the way, length became a lower priority than my hair's health and me being happy with my hair and I chopped off 11 inches of relaxed ends and was left with 2 inches of new growth.

Ltown

Greyland
I've done the BC 3 times and did not like styling my hair short it alot of work. Long term transitioning allow me wear bun/pony.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

I'm going to do a long term transition of at least 18 months...
I just want to have enough work with when I'm all natural, enough hair to put up when I need to... and I have a big(ish) head and slightly chubby cheeks :grin:

Tene

I transitioned for 11 months. I was suppose to transition for 12 months but I wanted my natural hair back so I bc'ed a month early.

Neek-a-Nator

This is my third transition, I only always lasted less than 5 months, lol. I hated dealing with the 2 textures. This times I plan on a longer transition, I don't yet have a set time but I know it WILL NOT be before 1 year. So far I'm doing good by my standards cause I'm currently over 5 months wich is a huge deal for me cause I have never lasted this long. I wanna tranz this long cause I prefer twists on long hair and from my experience it takes me 2 years to reach brastap which isn't that long on my 4a shrunken wet twisted hair, lol. So I'll play it by ear to determine when I will BC.

Foufie

Well. I had planned to to do a series of mini chops until my natural hair was shoulder length or transition for a year (which ever came first). But like you patience is NOT my strong point. So After trimming a little LITERALLY every time I removed my braids and wore it natural I only had about 2 inches left of relaxed ends (I started with short anyway). SO I just just cut it off because I wanted to see my pretty curls and not have my ends weigh them down. I am now 7 months post relaxer andwhen I hit the one year mark I will get a real trim.

Sometimes I get discouraged though because my hubby doesn't care for short hair and if doesn't like it he doesn't hesistate to say something, which results in hurting my feelings sometimes. But overall I absolutely love my hair and I am so glad I cut it.

Neek-a-Nator

Foufie, your hair is GORGEOUS. Hopefully your husband will come around cause I know it's important to feel desirable in every way to your mate. You want HIM to look at you and your hair as beautiful.

KiSseS03

I have transitioned many many many many many times lol, but this time feels like "it" for me. I am 11.5 months post at the moment, and this time I'm aiming for a long transition, minimum 18 months.

My shortest transition ever was 9 months. When I BC'd that time it was a majour shock to the system, and I wore my hair in braids for an additional 1.5 months in order to get my hair to a length where I could feel comfortable wearing it out.

In this transition, the difficult phase has passed (months 6-9) and it's smooooth sailing now! I've found a method that allows me to wash/retain hair and avoid tangles... washing my hair in braids is the truth! I've also found a style that I really like, that prevents tangles... rollersetting on large rollers. I love how much body my hair has now, and I definitely feel that I can last at least another 6-7 months :yep:

chelleyrock

I have transitioned many many many many many times lol, but this time feels like "it" for me. I am 11.5 months post at the moment, and this time I'm aiming for a long transition, minimum 18 months.

My shortest transition ever was 9 months. When I BC'd that time it was a majour shock to the system, and I wore my hair in braids for an additional 1.5 months in order to get my hair to a length where I could feel comfortable wearing it out.

In this transition, the difficult phase has passed (months 6-9) and it's smooooth sailing now! I've found a method that allows me to wash/retain hair and avoid tangles... washing my hair in braids is the truth! I've also found a style that I really like, that prevents tangles... rollersetting on large rollers. I love how much body my hair has now, and I definitely feel that I can last at least another 6-7 months :yep:

ITA w/ the bolded. :yep: Hey, our last relaxers are 3 days apart.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Right now I'm doing a loooonnnggg transition...until I reach about BSL , then cut off the relaxed ends :yep:. I've never had long hair, so once I reach APL for the first time by the end of this year I want to enjoy having length for a couple of years before I hack it off. So far, my natural curl pattern is soft and curly, which is how my relaxed / texlaxed hair looks so it blends in well. Most of my styles consist of bun braidouts, so I'm not worried about looking a hot mess.

Chameleonchick

I guess you can say I am doing a long term transition since it will last a year but I am bcing next month. I feel I have enough length to start out with.

Diva_Esq

I personally decided to do the BC because it was beast trying to match the two textures for me. I had to keep my hair straight (at the time I didnt think about twist sets) plus where I worked, I had to have my hair down and done. It was such a hassle because if I sweat then I would have big roots and straight ends. I, like you, always had long hair so I wasn't comfortable with short hair. What I did was a BC down to about 4 inches (forgot how long I transitioned- I believe 9 months). Immediately after, because I never had short hair- I got microbraids at the time. If you are feeling like cutting and then you end up not liking it then you can always get a sew in or something and let your hair grow out to the length that you feel comfortable. The only thing about long transitions is that point where the natural hair and relaxed hair meets becomes weak, especially the longer it grows so it has the weight and tension. That is my take..but please do what is best for you.

I don't do braids. Not my style...doesn't look good on me. No patience to sit that long. Thanks for your input.

The first time around I was uber length obsessed so I opted to transition for 1 year. I almost made it but I chopped at 10 months. My hair was the shortest it had ever been but not too short that I couldn't do anything with it and it took me no time to gain my SL status again. I goofed up and relaxed 2 years worth of natural growth in basic training and I kept on relaxing because I didn't want to lose my length. Somewhere along the way, length became a lower priority than my hair's health and me being happy with my hair and I chopped off 11 inches of relaxed ends and was left with 2 inches of new growth.

I love length too.

Well. I had planned to to do a series of mini chops until my natural hair was shoulder length or transition for a year (which ever came first). But like you patience is NOT my strong point. So After trimming a little LITERALLY every time I removed my braids and wore it natural I only had about 2 inches left of relaxed ends (I started with short anyway). SO I just just cut it off because I wanted to see my pretty curls and not have my ends weigh them down. I am now 7 months post relaxer andwhen I hit the one year mark I will get a real trim.

Sometimes I get discouraged though because my hubby doesn't care for short hair and if doesn't like it he doesn't hesistate to say something, which results in hurting my feelings sometimes. But overall I absolutely love my hair and I am so glad I cut it.

I feel you on the vocality of the hubby! Hang in there. You're BEAUTIFUL! :)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!

brownbean96

Hmmm, I don't know. It's such a personal decision. I've done both. The first time I went natural - I transitioned for about 4-6 months (hair type 4a) and Bc'd. I loved it. I really enjoyed it in the summer time - I did a lot of wash and go's. But this time around I am not interested in short hair so I don't plan on BC'ing. Personally, if you've never had short hair and plan on never having it short again, it would be nice to experience having your hair short just to get it out of your bones per say. I'm glad I experienced both. Sounds like you would have to convince your SO. Hard decision. I wish you the best.

Diva_Esq

Hmmm, I don't know. It's such a personal decision. I've done both. The first time I went natural - I transitioned for about 4-6 months (hair type 4a) and Bc'd. I loved it. I really enjoyed it in the summer time - I did a lot of wash and go's. But this time around I am not interested in short hair so I don't plan on BC'ing. Personally, if you've never had short hair and plan on never having it short again, it would be nice to experience having your hair short just to get it out of your bones per say. I'm glad I experienced both. Sounds like you would have to convince your SO. Hard decision. I wish you the best.

Very hard decision. He says, "do whatever you want but you're going to be complaining and saying 'why did I do that." I also know from lots of past conversations that he doesn't like short hair.

I am still thinking. Thanks for your input!

thenimblelife22

I did a long transition because I was in high school and a teenager at the time, and my peers at that age were brutal. It took me about a year and a half to have completely natural, shoulder length hair from the same length relaxed. It was pretty difficult once I got at about 6 inches of new growth, but I'm glad I did it that way because at that point, I could no longer wear my hair straight, so I started wearing curly transition styles. Wearing my hair curl when I previously ALWAYS wore it straight changed my mental attitudes about nappy vs. straight hair and what I considered "beautiful". By the time I was totally natural, I loved my curly hair so much that I pretty much stopped straightening it all together. Only recently am I starting to entertain the press n' curl routine again.

I think if I had to do it all over again; however, I honestly would probably do the big chop. At that time in my life, I was doing the long transition because I was insecure and was scared that my friends at school would make fun of me. I needed that long transition because I needed that year and a half to learn to love my natural hair, and more importantly, to learn to love me. Now that I'm a grown woman and I appreciate my natural beauty regardless of what anyone thinks, if I had to do it again, I'd probably just chop it off. I've never had hair shorter than collar bone length in my life, and I imagine that short hair is probably very liberating. Every woman deserves to do something liberating that's 100% for herself every once in a while. While I can't say that your hair needs to be that thing for you, it's worth the thought because you're already going against the societal norm by choosing to rock your hair natural anyway.

But that's just my two cents:rolleyes:. At the end of the day, you have to do what makes the most sense for you. Good luck with your natural journey!

Diva_Esq

I did a long transition because I was in high school and a teenager at the time, and my peers at that age were brutal. It took me about a year and a half to have completely natural, shoulder length hair from the same length relaxed. It was pretty difficult once I got at about 6 inches of new growth, but I'm glad I did it that way because at that point, I could no longer wear my hair straight, so I started wearing curly transition styles. Wearing my hair curl when I previously ALWAYS wore it straight changed my mental attitudes about nappy vs. straight hair and what I considered "beautiful". By the time I was totally natural, I loved my curly hair so much that I pretty much stopped straightening it all together. Only recently am I starting to entertain the press n' curl routine again.

I think if I had to do it all over again; however, I honestly would probably do the big chop. At that time in my life, I was doing the long transition because I was insecure and was scared that my friends at school would make fun of me. I needed that long transition because I needed that year and a half to learn to love my natural hair, and more importantly, to learn to love me. Now that I'm a grown woman and I appreciate my natural beauty regardless of what anyone thinks, if I had to do it again, I'd probably just chop it off. I've never had hair shorter than collar bone length in my life, and I imagine that short hair is probably very liberating. Every woman deserves to do something liberating that's 100% for herself every once in a while. While I can't say that your hair needs to be that thing for you, it's worth the thought because you're already going against the societal norm by choosing to rock your hair natural anyway.

But that's just my two cents:rolleyes:. At the end of the day, you have to do what makes the most sense for you. Good luck with your natural journey!

Thanks!! You're wise beyond your years! :)

Bubblingbrownshuga

I transitioned once before for 1 year and 4 months and I enjoyed it. When I decided to go natural again last year, I planned on another lengthy transition, but got a change of heart quickly and chopped after 5 months and I LOVED IT! I decided to take a chance because you only live once and hair grows back and it is so fun watching the hair's milestones after the big chop. I promise, I can't believe my hair growth after I cut it so low.