2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
View attachment 416633 View attachment 416635 Longest sections are 22” & I’m currently at MBL (again! :blush:) I’m hoping to be back at WL in January or February. I suppose we'll see!
Did a henna treatment today and it was so easy, so smooth and clean and drama free, I couldn’t remember why I haven’t done one in a while. It was an old mix. Pretty basic looking. I think it was Gazab brand (me likey) with a lil bit of olive oil, hibiscus powder, and green tea.
Made a new mix for next time or the time after: Red Raj from Henna Sooq, matcha powder, rose powder, lemon powder, moringa powder, and hibiscus powder. No oils or anything else. Looked yummy!

Are you 4a mainly?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Awww thanks!:2inlove:
I fell off the couch laughing at the bolded!!!
Y’all really wildin out with the henna huh? I don’t understand why it’s so messy for people! The most I’ll get is smudges of it on my shoulders and that’s only if I don’t clip my hair up.
:drool: Your hair!!!

It's warm here, so I think I will ask hubby to rinse my henna out in the backyard with the water hose. :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Y’all really wildin out with the henna huh? I don’t understand why it’s so messy for people! The most I’ll get is smudges of it on my shoulders and that’s only if I don’t clip my hair up.

:lachen:

I got the idea from a friend.

Last time, my tub looked atrocious.
A.T.R.O.C.I.O.U.S. :smile:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Oh yeahhhhhhhh! If I ever own, I guess I’ll be in the backyard too lol
Sometimes the clays and powders actually stop my tub up
:oops::lachen:
And don’t let me have to rinse my concoction out at night and be too sleepy/tired to clean the tub afterwards. Even I’ll sometimes forget and think someone was murked in my tub while I was sleeping. The rinsing is quite messy!
:lachen:

I got the idea from a friend.

Last time, my tub looked atrocious.
A.T.R.O.C.I.O.U.S. :smile:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple

This may be my fault. I told @YvetteWithJoy that I sometimes apply and rinse out my henna in the backyard. Its extra, but there is no mess. LOL!

douglala

My Jamila henna from Henna Sooq arrived a little after noon today. Yay!

I mixed 1.5 boxes (200 150 grams) with 2 cups of distilled water and 2 TBS of sugar (it was supposed to be 2 tsps).

I will let it sit for 12 hours. Then I'll wear it under saran wrap under heat for 2 hours, then an additional 2 hours away from heat before rinsing.

Also, I'm going to stop using amla powder in my recipes and just focus on brahmi, rose petal powder, hibiscus powder, and aloe Vera powder. This is because, according to Henna Sooq and other sources, amla retains/reinforces curl pattern.

Well, I'm on a mission to loosen my curl pattern, so no amla!

I hope my hair doesn't go red!

That’s funny. My jamilla henna from hennasooq FINALLY arrived yesterday too.... took 2 weeks..

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I rinsed out the henna treatment in the kitchen sink. :up:

Color is super reddish-brown in many areas. That's fine.

I see a little less definition at my roots, but I can't tell if I have any overall elongation as a result of this henna treatment. I think perhaps the GreenBeauty YouTube channel's natural relaxer method gives me greater elongation.

While hubby was applying the henna, I reread parts of "If You Love It, It Will Grow." Never noticed the ayurveda chapter before.

WP_20171118_001.jpg

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I had a great time catching up on this thread this morning! I currently have a batch of oil warming and my tea rinse is steeping. I made the mistake of letting my tea rinse run out. Never again! My hair is not as manageable without it. So today I'm doing a hard protein to reinforce my HiPo hair, that way I can go back to using the tea rinse as a supplement. Henna by itself is not strong enough for me.

Aggie

I'm not doing anything with my hair this weekend. I feel like I'm catching a cold so no water on my head for a few days. I really wanted to do a hendigo treatment and use my henna spray. I'll simply use my growth oil instead - nothing more.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
My CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil is low. That's good. Means I've been using it.

Instead of making a new batch, I decided to remove the seal from one of two KeraVada Kera1010 oil bottles (purchased on sale to see how it compares).

The oil feels great! I applied it to my scalp and ends while I DC'd. I do prefer my CP oil, though, due to the aroma. It's great to have the Kera1010 oil as an option.

weavepat

Still massaging CP olive oil and ayurvedic tea into scalp every night.

I have thick hair but my temples (especially the right side) and nape are considerably thinner. In addition to the massages I've been keeping these areas stretched. A simple twist for my right temple and my nape is threaded.
I started applying tea and oil nightly back in September. My nape reached shoulder length and was fine and brittle. My temple twist was 2 inches stretched and the area was super scalpy.
The nape pic is from a month ago and my temple pic is from last week. IMG_20171111_142938629.jpg IMG_20171008_134647280.jpg

fifigirl

View attachment 416633 View attachment 416635 Longest sections are 22” & I’m currently at MBL (again! :blush:) I’m hoping to be back at WL in January or February. I suppose we'll see!
Did a henna treatment today and it was so easy, so smooth and clean and drama free, I couldn’t remember why I haven’t done one in a while. It was an old mix. Pretty basic looking. I think it was Gazab brand (me likey) with a lil bit of olive oil, hibiscus powder, and green tea.
Made a new mix for next time or the time after: Red Raj from Henna Sooq, matcha powder, rose powder, lemon powder, moringa powder, and hibiscus powder. No oils or anything else. Looked yummy!
Your hair is gorgeous!!!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Still massaging CP olive oil and ayurvedic tea into scalp every night.

I have thick hair but my temples (especially the right side) and nape are considerably thinner. In addition to the massages I've been keeping these areas stretched. A simple twist for my right temple and my nape is threaded.
I started applying tea and oil nightly back in September. My nape reached shoulder length and was fine and brittle. My temple twist was 2 inches stretched and the area was super scalpy.
The nape pic is from a month ago and my temple pic is from last week. View attachment 416675 View attachment 416677

Nice!!!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Is anyone experiencing the "itches" with their growth oil? I've had my new install for a week now, and my cornrows were tight to my scalp. Not in a sense that it hurt, but secure. I've been having extreme itchies and already my tracks are loose now. It's only been a week....

@ThatJerseyGirl I experienced itchies with my first few batches and through trail and error was able to eliminate things one at a time to get to my perfect mixture.

Here are some changes I made and hopefully they help:

1) Not straining the powders well enough. I tried the cheesecloth method but it still left powder residue. Now I use the coffee filter method.
2) I had to remove the MSM totally. Now matter how little I added, it gave me terrible itches.
3) I knew from past experiences to not add essential oils. They are all just too potent for my scalp (even heavily diluted).

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
:D Thanks!! In a cup of boiling water I added a satchel full of:

Henna
Amla
Brahmi
Aloe Vera Powder
Bhringraj Powder
Shot of AVJ

Just random amounts of each but more henna than anything. I let it steep overnight then removed the satchel. I'm not sure what's giving me the shine but I'll take it!!

That recipe sounds delicious! I want to make some blends with my loose leaf herbs and Ayurvedic powders combined. Just trying to find some disposable tea bags that I can buy in bulk. I saw some at Mountain Rose herbs that were pretty reasonably priced but the shipping fees killed me softly. :cry3:Gotta keep looking or wait until I have enough in my cart for free shipping.

ThatJerseyGirl

@ThatJerseyGirl I experienced itchies with my first few batches and through trail and error was able to eliminate things one at a time to get to my perfect mixture.

Here are some changes I made and hopefully they help:

1) Not straining the powders well enough. I tried the cheesecloth method but it still left powder residue. Now I use the coffee filter method.
2) I had to remove the MSM totally. Now matter how little I added, it gave me terrible itches.
3) I knew from past experiences to not add essential oils. They are all just too potent for my scalp (even heavily diluted).

Thank you, EE. I just figured out that it was the essential oils. It had to be because the oil is strained. In fact, I used a wig cap made out of stocking material to strain it and I squeezed the hell out of it lololol....

I have one bottle that has essential oils and another bottles that does not. The one with the essential oils had me scratching to the point where my husband said I was making him itch. So much so, I kept that rat-tail comb stuck in my head for easy access and so that I wouldn't have to look for it lololol... I went to Sally's and purchased some Seabreeze and poured some in my scalp and massaged that in. That helped for a little while, then the itchie started again.

I washed my hair very well and got in between my tracks very good and rinsed thoroughly. At least eight times while in the shower. I washed it thoroughly yesterday. The non-essential oil bottle is my go to and I don't have any problems. My scalp feels so much better. I will admit that I have some new growth already and it is going on week two of my install.

To note, I never did use MSM in my mixes. I didn't feel it was necessary. I just used the fenugreek seeds and powder, maka powder (bhringraj), neem powder, amla powder, henna powder, coconut oil, castor oil and almond oil. Infused it in the crock pot in a mason jar for a few days. Then I did something different after the infusion and poured the entire mix into a pan on low and let it simmer on warm for a few hours. After a few hours of letting the oil cool all the way down, I strained the mix. I love this stuff. My mixture is extremely dark. Almost black. You can't tell what color it is, but it is very rich. In my opinion, the longer the infusion period, the better. If you decide to pour your mixture (after the initial few days of infusion) and simmer on the stove, make sure you do it on a warm setting. Anything more than that, it'll burn because the powder and everything falls to the bottom. Make sure to stir every once in a while too.

I will say that this oil mix is very potent. I oil and massage my scalp every other day. Even though I have no problems with my edges, I oil my edges every day since I have an install with a closure.

If I wasn't wearing my weave, I'd use some of the mixture and oil and mix it with some butters for my two strand twists!

Soaring Eagle

Singin’ the praises of the baggy method
@YvetteWithJoy I'm happy you decided to try Jamila Henna. Just so you know, Jamila henna dye releases immediately upon water contact. Which is why it's my favorite henna. I'm always too lazy to do the whole 'day before' premix.

I hope you get the curl loosening you're seeking. I actually did a full henna treatment yesterday (first time in a very long time), and my curls are are definitely looser. I have fine strands, so my curls loosen even with glosses. I hope you experience the same.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
So I have a fenugreek oil still seeping. I decided I will keep the seeds in the oil for as long as I use it. Just seems like the thing to do :look:

I made a henna paste earlier this evening and will apply it when I get back home.

I finally made a tea with henna, Amla, brahmi, Maka and kapoor kachli. I’ll sift it tomorrow and put it in a spray bottle. I’ll use it when I do my twist out.

fifigirl

Had lovely wash day yesterday......washed my hair with my ayurvedic black soap which was very foamy and yet not overly cleansing enough to strip oils from my hair......then i did an acv rinse for about 3 mins and then deep conditioned with my aphogee 2 min reconstructor mixed with alma, hibiscus, bhrami, bhringraj, fenugreek oil and coconut oil. It felt so nice and slippery...deep conditioned for about 2 hours and then washed it out. T-shirt dried my hair and then proceeded to plait my har into about 10 plaits. Used my leave in- cantu organ oil leave in conditioner which my hair loves and sealed with my shea butter and fenugreek oil (fenugreek and bhrami infused in grapeseed and olive oil) the shea mix is so crazy! i love it.....sealed paying attention to ends......later at night, gave myself a scalp massage with JBCO and tea tree oil!

fifigirl

@YvetteWithJoy I'm happy you decided to try Jamila Henna. Just so you know, Jamila henna dye releases immediately upon water contact. Which is why it's my favorite henna. I'm always too lazy to do the whole 'day before' premix.

I hope you get the curl loosening you're seeking. I actually did a full henna treatment yesterday (first time in a very long time), and my curls are are definitely looser. I have fine strands, so my curls loosen even with glosses. I hope you experience the same.
Really???? then i need to look for this

douglala

So I have a fenugreek oil still seeping. I decided I will keep the seeds in the oil for as long as I use it. Just seems like the thing to do :look:

I made a henna paste earlier this evening and will apply it when I get back home.

I finally made a tea with henna, Amla, brahmi, Maka and kapoor kachli. I’ll sift it tomorrow and put it in a spray bottle. I’ll use it when I do my twist out.
I keep the seeds in too. They sit at the bottom and don’t disturb me. They are even in my applicator bottle with no issues!