2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

Aggie

My CP henna tea rinse is currently infusing and will be 24 hours at around 9 pm tonight. I will strain and transfer it to a spray bottle around that time just before bed.

Last night I used a tablespoon each of amla, brahmi, bhringraj, rose, and kalpi tone powders, 1 teaspoon of shikakai powder and 2 tablespoons of Karishma henna powder with 24 oz of distilled water, 10 drops each of tea tree, lavender, rosemary and peppermint essential oils.

I have already stirred it twice since mixig last night and will give it another good stir now and wait until this evening before I strain it for use.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@Honey Bee

So now that all your supplies are in, here is a channel that might interest you:

It's all DIY. She demonstrates how to make conditioner, lotions, soap bars, conditioner bars, bath bombs, body scrubs etc. all from scratch. She shows how to make small batches for testing which I can appreciate. Warning: She is rather winded and tends to ramble in the very beginning of all her videos, so a fast forward on the first two minutes is usually needed. I do that anyway for most YouTube videos I watch. LOL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Here are the results of my last treatment. I'll add it here since I stated that I was doing it in this thread. Tagging @Britt as I believe it was you asking how henna covers gray hairs for your mom? I only have a few down my middle part which kinda sucks because that's my favorite way to style my hair. :angry2:

This was my hair on Sunday before starting the process. If you look closely you can see little specs of chocolate hair sprinkled throughout my part. That color is the result of my favorite powder combo (henna, amla & bhringraj) done once a month over the course of a few months. This shows what henna does to my gray hairs.

IMAG1223_1.jpg

Here is my hair this morning after the color has settled. I did a full henna paste followed by a full indigo paste. So a 2 step treatment.

IMAG1274_1_1-676x270.jpg

No more chocolate specs and my hair is super shiny and jet black. It's dang near darker than my silk scrunchie. :lachen:

IMAG1280_1-690x851-517x638.jpg

Aggie

So I started to use a dropper to apply my CP oil to my cornrows. It seems like every time I would use the applicator bottle the remnants in the oil begin to clog it up. It's a bit of an extra step but I feel like it's a lot faster to apply this with the dropper.
I also use a dropper to apply my oils. When I first started my oils, I bought 4 of those 4 oz amber bottles with droppers and 2 of the 16 oz size with spray nozzles as well to store it once I strain it to protect it from sunlight. I would add a little at a time to the 4 oz bottle as I need it.

Britt

Here are the results of my last treatment. I'll add it here since I stated that I was doing it in this thread. Tagging @Britt as I believe it was you asking how henna covers gray hairs for your mom? I only have a few down my middle part which kinda sucks because that's my favorite way to style my hair. :angry2:

This was my hair on Sunday before starting the process. If you look closely you can see little specs of chocolate hair sprinkled throughout my part. That color is the result of my favorite powder combo (henna, amla & bhringraj) done once a month over the course of a few months. This shows what henna does to my gray hairs.

View attachment 418601

Here is my hair this morning after the color has settled. I did a full henna paste followed by a full indigo paste. So a 2 step treatment.

View attachment 418603

No more chocolate specs and my hair is super shiny and jet black. It's dang near darker than my silk scrunchie. :lachen:

View attachment 418605
YESSSSSSS this is what I'm talking about :notworthy: This color is fab!
Forgive me bc I haven't read through the entire thread, I did see quite a few of your posts where you mention all the stuff that you buy and mix up. How often are you applying the treatment to your hair to cover? I see the little reddish hairs... that's what I'd like, I know the henna stuff turns it red. My gosh, I love this! I currently have the Kera1010 oil that has lots of ayurvedic herbs in it, since I'm in braids I just apply the oil to my scalp and edges.

eta... I see the powder combo is done once a month
Then full henna paste (how long do you leave this on)
Followed by a full indigo paste (how long do you leave this on)

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
YESSSSSSS this is what I'm talking about :notworthy: This color is fab!
Forgive me bc I haven't read through the entire thread, I did see quite a few of your posts where you mention all the stuff that you buy and mix up. How often are you applying the treatment to your hair to cover? I see the little reddish hairs... that's what I'd like, I know the henna stuff turns it red. My gosh, I love this! I currently have the Kera1010 oil that has lots of ayurvedic herbs in it, since I'm in braids I just apply the oil to my scalp and edges.

eta... I see the powder combo is done once a month
Then full henna paste (how long do you leave this on)
Followed by a full indigo paste (how long do you leave this on)

Short answer:
You could probably get away with treating these powders as you would any deep conditioner and just leave it on for an hour and get good results.

My dramatic answer: :lachen:

However, I can't do that for several reasons. I have small children at home, so I have to do my hair in segments. Which leads me into the 2nd reason and why I think I always get awesome results with Ayurvedic treatments. I leave my treatments on for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. I understand that these powders are unlike chemicals that work fast and give you good results in 10-15 mins. Because they are plants, they need a bit more time to work their magic. Since I'm used to doing my hair in segments working around caring for my kids, these treatments fits my lifestyle perfectly cause I can throw them in and forget about them until time permits me to move to the next step of my regimen.

For my current process:
A monthly treatment with henna, amla & Bhringraj is usually done on dry hair the night before wash day. I've played around with mixing the powders for my monthly treatments with water, oil, honey, butters & conditioner before but just powders and water are all I use now. My hair is usually already full of butters and moisturizers so I feel all that extra stuff was not necessary for me anymore. This monthly treatment leaves my natural dusty brown color a shade darker...and the gray hairs chocolate...probably the combo of amla & Bhringraj working with the henna.

When I know I'm going to do a 2 step henna/indigo treatment, I leave the amla & Bhringraj out of the henna. So just mix henna with water. I usually do an herbal tea instead of plain water because I'm extra. :rolleyes: Leave it on a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. Rinse and mix indigo with water and apply it to my hair. Leave on 4 hours. I try not to go past 4 hours with indigo because it is rather drying on my hair but that color though....:toocool:

Henna feels like a spa treatment on my hair so I leave that on as long as I can.

To summarize:
So for any treatment, all I mix is powder and water.

Monthly treatment:
Hair color a shade darker, gray hair turned chocolate

2 step: all hair including grays jet black

Last edited:

Aggie

@ElevatedEnergy

You just gave me a wonderful idea and I hope it works for my next henna treatment - I will make a marshmallow leaf/root and slippery elm powder rinse to mix my henna with next time. I would add burdock root as well but I don't have any in my stash at the moment. I hope this would produce a nice slippery henna treatment :look:. I sure hope this works but I will only know if it does if I try it. Wish me luck!

Oh by the way, I can't give this a try until after Christmas Day :sad:. Don't have the time before that since my extremely busy time at work begins tomorrow until then.

Britt

@ElevatedEnergy thank you so much for this! you answered a lot. I was wondering how the heck do you find all the time for the steps with small ones lol, but I see that you're doing house stuff and sleeping with the powder mixture overnight. Is there a go to guide for this stuff? Or do you guys figure this out mainly from experimenting? I always thought the ayurvedic regimen was overwhelming but if I had a straight up 'guide' so to speak I could see myself pre pooing overnight with a mix up powder and then the next day follow the next steps. Everything just seems so freestyled. Is there a site that sells things already measured and specified or is this whole thing kinda like figure out as you go along?

Aggie

Short answer:
You could probably get away with treating these powders as you would any deep conditioner and just leave it on for an hour and get good results.

My dramatic answer: :lachen:

However, I can't do that for several reasons. I have small children at home, so I have to do my hair in segments. Which leads me into the 2nd reason and why I think I always get awesome results with Ayurvedic treatments. I leave my treatments on for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. I understand that these powders are unlike chemicals that work fast and give you good results in 10-15 mins. Because they are plants, they need a bit more time to work their magic. Since I'm used to doing my hair in segments working around caring for my kids, these treatments fits my lifestyle perfectly cause I can throw them in and forget about them until time permits me to move to the next step of my regimen.

For my current process:
A monthly treatment with henna, amla & Bhringraj is usually done on dry hair the night before wash day. I've played around with mixing the powders for my monthly treatments with water, oil, honey, butters & conditioner before but just powders and water are all I use now. My hair is usually already full of butters and moisturizers so I feel all that extra stuff was not necessary for me anymore. This monthly treatment leaves my natural dusty brown color a shade darker...and the gray hairs chocolate...probably the combo of amla & Bhringraj working with the henna.

When I know I'm going to do a 2 step henna/indigo treatment, I leave the amla & Bhringraj out of the henna. So just mix henna with water. I usually do an herbal tea instead of plain water because I'm extra. :rolleyes: Leave it on a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. Rinse and mix indigo with water and apply it to my hair. Leave on 4 hours. I try not to go past 4 hours with indigo because it is rather drying on my hair but that color though....:toocool:

Henna feels like a spa treatment on my hair so I leave that on as long as I can.

To summarize:
So for any treatment, all I mix is powder and water.

Monthly treatment:
Hair color a shade darker, gray hair turned chocolate

2 step: all hair including grays jet black
Another thing I do is use my ayurveda gloss deep conditioners for only about 45 minutes to an hour with heat. I would do the same with my straight henna treatment except I do 1.5 hours without heat and 45 minutes to an hour with heat. Truth be told, this method really works their magic on my hair plus reduce the time I need to keep it in my hair.

So I agree, the powders because they are natural need a little more time to really work their way into the hair. I noticed that whenever I left the powder treatments in my hair longer, those were the times that yielded superior results.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy

You just gave me a wonderful idea and I hope it works for my next henna treatment - I will make a marshmallow leaf/root and slippery elm powder rinse to mix my henna with next time. I would add burdock root as well but I don't have any in my stash at the moment. I hope this would produce a nice slippery henna treatment :look:. I sure hope this works but I will only know if it does if I try it. Wish me luck!

Oh by the way, I can't give this a try until after Christmas Day :sad:. Don't have the time before that since my extremely busy time at work begins tomorrow until then.

That sounds like a super slippery mix! Yum! I wish I could use slippery elm and marshmallow root but they both make my scalp itch. Lucky you!!! Fenugreek tea gives me a similar slippery feel but nothing close to the two you are going to use.

Aggie

That sounds like a super slippery mix! Yum! I wish I could use slippery elm and marshmallow root but they both make my scalp itch. Lucky you!!! Fenugreek tea gives me a similar slippery feel but nothing close to the two you are going to use.
Aw I'm so sorry to hear that bout he effects of these herbs on your scalp and thank you dear.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@ElevatedEnergy thank you so much for this! you answered a lot. I was wondering how the heck do you find all the time for the steps with small ones lol, but I see that you're doing house stuff and sleeping with the powder mixture overnight. Is there a go to guide for this stuff? Or do you guys figure this out mainly from experimenting? I always thought the ayurvedic regimen was overwhelming but if I had a straight up 'guide' so to speak I could see myself pre pooing overnight with a mix up powder and then the next day follow the next steps. Everything just seems so freestyled. Is there a site that sells things already measured and specified or is this whole thing kinda like figure out as you go along?

I think Henna Sooq has a guide on henna powder and a few other herbs. Some of the old Ayurvedic threads here have good info as well. But you are right...most of it is freestyle and kind of learn/tweak as you go and adjust to your hair's likes/dislikes.

I don't know of any company that sells premixed powders. You may be able to find a deep conditioner that has Ayurvedic ingredients but I don't have any company that I can personally recommend. I've always just mixed my own. I feel like doing it yourself will be the most beneficial for your hair and your wallet. For example: You would save more in the long run by buying a $1.99 box of amla powder and mixing a teaspoon with your normal deep conditioner versus spending $20 plus on a conditioner marketed as having Ayurvedic ingredients. (Which probably has a speck of powder in it anyway) LOL Not trying to knock anyone's hustle but.....

I would suggest since it is all still kind of new to you:

Keep using the Ayurvedic oil you are using. That's an easy way to incorporate it. Pre-poo, scalp massage or just adding to your DC.

Buy a box of powder and just add a teaspoon your DC. Amla is a good starting herb to play around with. If you have an Indian market close to you, you should be able to buy a box for dirt cheap.

Just do these two things for a few months and keep the rest of your regimen the same. I think it's better to kind of ease your way into Ayurveda instead of going full speed all at once. It can be a bit overwhelming that way.

Britt

I think Henna Sooq has a guide on henna powder and a few other herbs. Some of the old Ayurvedic threads here have good info as well. But you are right...most of it is freestyle and kind of learn/tweak as you go and adjust to your hair's likes/dislikes.

I don't know of any company that sells premixed powders. You may be able to find a deep conditioner that has Ayurvedic ingredients but I don't have any company that I can personally recommend. I've always just mixed my own. I feel like doing it yourself will be the most beneficial for your hair and your wallet. For example: You would save more in the long run by buying a $1.99 box of amla powder and mixing a teaspoon with your normal deep conditioner versus spending $20 plus on a conditioner marketed as having Ayurvedic ingredients. (Which probably has a speck of powder in it anyway) LOL Not trying to knock anyone's hustle but.....

I would suggest since it is all still kind of new to you:

Keep using the Ayurvedic oil you are using. That's an easy way to incorporate it. Pre-poo, scalp massage or just adding to your DC.

Buy a box of powder and just add a teaspoon your DC. Amla is a good starting herb to play around with. If you have an Indian market close to you, you should be able to buy a box for dirt cheap.

Just do these two things for a few months and keep the rest of your regimen the same. I think it's better to kind of ease your way into Ayurveda instead of going full speed all at once. It can be a bit overwhelming that way.

Thank you! And the bolded is exactly what i was thinking, some of these products prob only have a small amount of the herbs in it. I had no idea the powders were so cheap. Wow! That's an incentive. There are some indian hair stores in the city that I can check out. I like that as a start, amla powder mixed with my dc and leave on overnight as a pre treatment.

Honey Bee

Thank you! And the bolded is exactly what i was thinking, some of these products prob only have a small amount of the herbs in it. I had no idea the powders were so cheap. Wow! That's an incentive. There are some indian hair stores in the city that I can check out. I like that as a start, amla powder mixed with my dc and leave on overnight as a pre treatment.

:lol:

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I feel you 1,000%. :yep:

I'm working on something to address this! CP-inspired regimen support extraordinaire! I'll share it as soon as it's ready, and when I do I'll tag you.

Taleah2009

Ladies who use the CP tea. Can I use the tea and henna gloss in one session? I was supposed to do a tea rinse last weekend, but I ended up canceling wash day. Soo I have this tea I need to use, but I want to henna gloss bi-weekly, which make that this wash day. I don't want a henna overload.

Keen

Lol @Honey Bee this all feels overwhelming lol but i like the results.
Like someone said, start with a simple process. For the first couple of months, I only used Henna, Fernugreek and the CP oil. I'm just now starting to bring other powders. I still keep it simple: Spray my hair with my liquid mixture daily then Prepoo and Henna gloss weekly. My hair is in cornrow half of the time so spraying takes no time.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Lol @Honey Bee this all feels overwhelming lol but i like the results.

I started with the CurlyProverbz DIY oil. Oil is a versatile product: It can be used as a prepoo, a hot oil treatment, a scalp massage oil, a moisturizer depending on the ingredients, a sealant depending on the ingredients, a product to add to OTHER products (e.g., deep conditioners), etc.

I tried it in all sorts of ways before moving on to a product I felt could fit simply into my already-existent regimen. To choose, I watched Farida's videos about her tea, her henna masks, her henna glosses, her whipped shea butter, her detanglers, and her clay cleansers.

I then thought about what I needed most: Something easy to try? Something strengthening? A styler? A growth aid?

I felt my strongest need at the time was stronger strands. Detangling, my shed hair balls were too large for my liking.

For strength, there were multiple choices such as the tea, the gloss, and the mask. I chose the tea because it only added 5 minutes to my regimen.

I believe next I tried a gloss--simply adding powder to something I already had and do: DC.

It is helpful to start from a need and to try just one thing for at least a couple of weeks so that you can isolate the cause of any new changes in your hair to that one product.

ETA: There are no hard and fast rules: I added AVJ powder to most recipes I've tried, whether Farida did or not, because I need hydration and that is a property of AVJ. :smile:

Britt

I started with the CurlyProverbz DIY oil. Oil is a versatile product: It can be used as a prepoo, a hot oil treatment, a scalp massage oil, a moisturizer depending on the ingredients, a sealant depending on the ingredients, a product to add to OTHER products (e.g., deep conditioners), etc.

I tried it in all sorts of ways before moving on to a product I felt could fit simply into my already-existent regimen. To choose, I watched Farida's videos about her tea, her henna masks, her henna glosses, her whipped shea butter, her detanglers, and her clay cleansers.

I then thought about what I needed most: Something easy to try? Something strengthening? A styler? A growth aid?

I felt my strongest need at the time was stronger strands. Detangling, my shed hair balls were too large for my liking.

For strength, there were multiple choices such as the tea, the gloss, and the mask. I chose the tea because it only added 5 minutes to my regimen.

I believe next I tried a gloss--simply adding powder to something I already had and do: DC.

It is helpful to start from a need and to try just one thing for at least a couple of weeks so that you can isolate the cause of any new changes in your hair to that one product.

ETA: There are no hard and fast rules: I added AVJ powder to most recipes I've tried, whether Farida did or not, because I need hydration and that is a property of AVJ. :smile:
I agree! The oil is the easiest to use. When I use to use vatika oil as an overnight pre poo my hair would shed less on wash day. I also use to oil my scalp with it.

Honey Bee

I agree! The oil is the easiest to use. When I use to use vatika oil as an overnight pre poo my hair would shed less on wash day. I also use to oil my scalp with it.
I started with CP's 4 ingredient oil: whatever carrier oils you want, henna, fenugreek, and MSM. I also added peppermint and rosemary eo's. I let it sit, like, three days before I used it, thirsty. :lol:

You might wanna leave out the MSM, tho. :look: I got two pimples! And you know how our skin do, this is highly unusual. :nono:

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
I finally got around to watching these two videos.

Awwwwwwwwww! It's on! :woot:

In Quarter 2 of 2018, Lord willing I'm going to start trying to hack my holy grail ayurvedic shampoo bar:
  1. I'm going to order that henna blend from cornerstoneskin.com (a black woman own's owns it). I might like the ingredients in it better than the ingredients in my HG shampoo bar! The owner of cornerstoneskin has provided us with a discount code (15%, I believe). :up:
  2. I'm going to start playing around at the soapcalc site.
  3. I'm going to learn more about the properties of various oils. I'm pretty sure I want to use castor oil, sesame oil (appreciated in ayurveda), macadamia oil (chemically the same as sebum!), vegetable glycerin, and probably olive oil. Maybe coconut oil, too.
Thanks for the tip about lye, @Saludable84. Guess I'll see what's at Home Depot??? (Who knew?!? :smile:)

I make soap... PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS EXAMPLE ON YOUR SKIN. *** AFTER 24 HOURS THE SOAP IS READY TO TAKE OUT THE MOLD ONLY... BECAUSE OF THE ACID IN THE SOAP IT DOES TAKE A FULL 3-6 WEEKS FOR THE CHEMICAL PH TO BALANCE AND FULLY CURE.
THIS IS REALLY WHAT I DO.
NOW, this is a great recipe it just needs to cure longer...ijs

fifigirl

Been away for a few days, during that time i relaxed my hair friday last week. It went well

Clarified my hair last night with Elucence volumizing clarifying shampoo (i love it cos my hair never feels stripped) and then did an overnight henna gloss from the henna paste i made 3 weeks ago.
It was so easy to wash off as i used Vo5 moisture deep conditioner and then i did 3 minute deep conditioning treatment with Aussie 3 minute conditioner.
Used Scurl as leave in and some gel to lay my edges and then burned my wet hair

My hair feels very happy and not too strong. Happy with the results i got

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I make soap... PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS EXAMPLE ON YOUR SKIN. *** AFTER 24 HOURS THE SOAP IS READY TO TAKE OUT THE MOLD ONLY... BECAUSE OF THE ACID IN THE SOAP IT DOES TAKE A FULL 3-6 WEEKS FOR THE CHEMICAL PH TO BALANCE AND FULLY CURE.
THIS IS REALLY WHAT I DO.
NOW, this is a great recipe it just needs to cure longer...ijs

Wow! Thank you so much for this important information! :kiss: