CURVE SALON (aka Miss Jessies)CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so1913

locoabouthair said:
So now I'm sooo curious, seeing as though they will only be selling/ marketing their products, how much income that really generates......I say this because I know the salon was VERY successful! I'm sure the product piece of it is VERY lucrative as well......ok now I'm just being nosey.:)

At any rate, so1913 where is Dickey located? He specializes in kinky/ curly hair? Do tell!

Dickey is located in manhattan, and yes, he specializes in kinky/curly hair! You can get more info here:
http://www.hairrules.com

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I know you were happy to have found a new stylist b4 this crock of crap went down, and your hair looks really nice too.

I wonder if they can be sued for something like this, I'm sorry but I would be soo upset giving someone that kind of money on the regular and then soemthing like this happens. I'm sure there were alot of folks that became dependent on them, especially the ones with that silken seal thing, since alot of folks say they are the only ones that can do it. Hopefully their most valuable customers (if they considered any of them to be) were informed of what really was going on and are still able to receive services or atleast given a heads up.
so1913 said:
Yeah, I don't get it either :perplexed

That's why I'm just like FORGET it now, and will just keep going to Dickey. To much trouble to figure out what's going on with those two.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
BeautifulWideEyes said:
I know you were happy to have found a new stylist b4 this crock of crap went down, and your hair looks really nice too.

I wonder if they can be sued for something like this, I'm sorry but I would be soo upset giving someone that kind of money on the regular and then soemthing like this happens. I'm sure there were alot of folks that became dependent on them, especially the ones with that silken seal thing, since alot of folks say they are the only ones that can do it. Hopefully their most valuable customers (if they considered any of them to be) were informed of what really was going on and are still able to receive services or atleast given a heads up.

This is too funny!:lachen:

jengrady

It is really funny....lol. I went to Curve a few times. Each time my hair was okay. Not $450 okay but okay. Each time I wondered just when the veil would be lifted off or Miko and Titi's whole game. First, the silkener is just a relaxer left on for less time so the hair underprocesses. It's not some stuff they came up with except for the name. A texturizer, that if you are careful you can do for yourself at home. The ladies on this board are far better experts in this practice than Curve ever was.

Second, Curve Salon is about the sisters second or third venture into doing hair, the first go round they were alledgedly jacking people's hair up with breakage. They shut that down to open up the salon in the parlor floor of their home (which is probably why, the number on miko's site is the same as the salon) they lived up stairs I think.

Third, they weren't growing hair, they really didn't have a variety of styles or cuts. Almost everyone on their site had the same hair cut at different lengths. The way you style your hair to achieve the kinky curly look is what grows your hair. It is a protective style in a sense that you mostly air dry, so minimal heat for the best result and after its done you moisturize with buttercream and then you rarely touch it. We on this board know that will grow your hair no matter what style you have.

In any case, Miko did the hair, Titi was the salon manager and sold the products, they never got anyone else to style hair there so if Miko isn't doing it, no salon. It probably is easier to sell the products than anything else so I hope they have resovled any differences and sell the stuff people want. regardless of the way they did their salon, the Miss Jessie's products are creative and they do, do what they say they are going to if you have the right hair texture.

And I'll never knock a sistah who's able to get $36, $50 or $65 dollars for something inventive people can whip up for $7 at the local drug store.

so1913

locoabouthair said:
hey! thanx......If you don't mind me asking, how are the prices?

anyone called the number to find out about Miko?

My I paid $187 for a wash/cut/styling (I just did "finger" styling). I'm not sure how much other services cost.

locoabouthair

so1913 said:
My I paid $187 for a wash/cut/styling (I just did "finger" styling). I'm not sure how much other services cost.

ok thats reasonable enough..what products does he use.......ok so now I will be calling to see if I can get in a couple of months from now..........

damn, I hi-jacked my own thread......lol

do those sisters still live upstairs from their salon? I never knew that....no rush hour traffic for them.......hehehe

Bosslady1

jengrady said:
It is really funny....lol. I went to Curve a few times. Each time my hair was okay. Not $450 okay but okay. Each time I wondered just when the veil would be lifted off or Miko and Titi's whole game. First, the silkener is just a relaxer left on for less time so the hair underprocesses. It's not some stuff they came up with except for the name. A texturizer, that if you are careful you can do for yourself at home. The ladies on this board are far better experts in this practice than Curve ever was.

Second, Curve Salon is about the sisters second or third venture into doing hair, the first go round they were alledgedly jacking people's hair up with breakage. They shut that down to open up the salon in the parlor floor of their home (which is probably why, the number on miko's site is the same as the salon) they lived up stairs I think.

Third, they weren't growing hair, they really didn't have a variety of styles or cuts. Almost everyone on their site had the same hair cut at different lengths. The way you style your hair to achieve the kinky curly look is what grows your hair. It is a protective style in a sense that you mostly air dry, so minimal heat for the best result and after its done you moisturize with buttercream and then you rarely touch it. We on this board know that will grow your hair no matter what style you have.

In any case, Miko did the hair, Titi was the salon manager and sold the products, they never got anyone else to style hair there so if Miko isn't doing it, no salon. It probably is easier to sell the products than anything else so I hope they have resovled any differences and sell the stuff people want. regardless of the way they did their salon, the Miss Jessie's products are creative and they do, do what they say they are going to if you have the right hair texture.

And I'll never knock a sistah who's able to get $36, $50 or $65 dollars for something inventive people can whip up for $7 at the local drug store.[/quote]

:lol: :lachen: ....This salon sounds like it use to be the hot spot!

Kurlee

The only people I feel sorry for are those who have silkeners, when they need touchups they have no where to go and most hairdressers don't know how to texturize properly, so I feel bad fopr them cuz most will jack up their head, or go bone straight or bc. Some of those before and after pics were pretty good. I hope they can find a good replacement like so1913 did or her cuts.

locoabouthair

Kurlee said:
The only people I feel sorry for are those who have silkeners, when they need touchups they have no where to go and most hairdressers don't know how to texturize properly, so I feel bad fopr them cuz most will jack up their head, or go bone straight or bc. Some of those before and after pics were pretty good. I hope they can find a good replacement like so1913 did or her cuts.

ITA. I will check out this Dickey guy, so1913, recommended in a couple of months.

JamericanGurl

so1913 said:
You know what...I am so over them, and ya'll know I really supported them and spoke highly of my experience over the time I patroned the salon. I had already moved on to a new stylist, but there were many clients still waiting to go back. They led everyone to believe that they were opening up this great new shop over this whole time they've been closed, and people were really waiting for it to open. Now they turn around and say the are shutting down opperations completely.

I'm not sure what the deal is, because Miko's site gives out the Miss Jessie's Salon number to contact her for an appointment.

Whatever, I'm happy with Anthony Dickey. Reminds me, I need to go ahead and make an appointment for next month...
Is he not the bomb. I love my hair after he cuts it...except I haven't had it done by him in 2 years...I'm jealous!

Ya gurls were too damn high. they need to sell they secret to the Bush's baked bean dog. I wanna know:confused:

Last edited:

schipperchow1

I'm curious about the closing as welll....

One of my co-workers had wanted to go there for the silkener...I will have to let her know...I think that Jazma in Canada does something similar to the silkener...a relaxer that's not left on to make the hair bone straight.

But I also agree w/the poster who said that this is another reason not to become dependent on salons & stylists. It is very empowering to be able to take care of one's own hair...IMO

locoabouthair

No but one of the ladies here posted contact info for her, that she had listed, one of them was a dc number.Try doing a search if it is not in this thread. Can't remember her name who gave the info?

firecracker

:( Well thank goodness I do my own darn silkners. Those ***** bet not stop slanging that meringe and butter are ah ole garden tool gon cut dey azzez! :lachen: :lachen: Thanks to So1913 I do have some alternatives for hold. :) I really can't beat the buttercreme moisture though.

naijamerican

I agree, Firecracker, the buttercreme is the truth for my hair. Sometimes it is kind of waxy, but my hair stays moisturized for much of the day whenever I use it.

byrdmail

naijamerican said:
I agree, Firecracker, the buttercreme is the truth for my hair. Sometimes it is kind of waxy, but my hair stays moisturized for much of the day whenever I use it.

I bought the small sized buttercreme for me and my baby son's hair. I like it a lot. Where is the cheapest place to get the full sized version? I think I ordered the small size from naturally curly.

locoabouthair

byrdmail said:
I bought the small sized buttercreme for me and my baby son's hair. I like it a lot. Where is the cheapest place to get the full sized version? I think I ordered the small size from naturally curly.

from what I 've seen on sites and in stores, they all are priced the same.I know many of us stocked up last December when they had BOGO