Cut and Start Fresh? or Nurture with Protective Styling?

Lady Esquire

I wore a wig for the last several weeks. Underneath, my hair was braided in a few box braids. Once or twice weekly, I would DC and rebraid my hair underneath. I was excited to see a TON of new growth. The NG was getting to be much, about 4 months worth, so I relaxed on Wednesday.

Once I detangled, at least four large handfuls of hair came out. My hair seems stringy. To be honest, I did not detangle properly, which is why I had so much hair come out. My nape is even more chewed up. I feel like cutting it all up to APL. But most parts are so long and healthy.

I will come back with pics, after I do a post-relaxer protein treatment and another detangling session.

Would you just cut and start fresh? or

Nurture with bunning, braids, and other protective styling?

janeemat

Awh Lady E. I'm sorry about your hair. I know that you have been trying to get it back on track. I always thought of your hair as my hair twin. Maybe you shouldn't do long stretches anymore. I know that I did a long stretch last year ( 5 mon) and it was not beneficial to my hair. I started back doing 3 months and that so far is much better for my hair. It's just less stress for my strands, so that's my plan for 2010. I remember seeing your breakage in the back, so it would probably be beneficial to trim it up a little.

Whimsy

I'd like to see images too.

And if you'll be hiding under a wig, I say nurture it properly and keep it hidden, no one will see how chewed up it is.

LadyPaniolo

Well, I'm anti-cutting on GP. I am very sorry to hear you lost so much hair :cry3: but I don't think cutting more off is the answer. Maybe you need to up your detangling sessions while you are wigging it. It takes me HOURS to detangle and rebraid my hair just to slap a wig back on. If you do the detangling more often, however, it never gets a chance to get super dee duper tangled up to begin with.

Pampering your hair is the only way, :imo: but it is certainly your head and I know you'll make the best choice for you.

Lady Esquire

Even though the postpartum shedding has decreased, it never stopped. I have kept up on regular trims and search & destroy sessions. I don't think its the stretching because I keep a real close eye on my hair throughout the stretching.

Its the shed hair causing tangles. Thats the real problem. I have a portion in the back that really broke off. My plan was to braid it up and leave it alone, allowing it to catch up. I figured since the rest of my hair is really healthy, it would be okay to trim and leave it alone. That's what I was doing with the wigs. But I think I just need a cut.

I permed and it is healthy overall, and I gained length but lost volume, due to the amount of hair caught in tangles. I will do a protein treatment, detangle and take pics for you guys to help me figure it out.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I'm thinking of switching from wigs to braids. Instead of the wigs, maybe I should follow the Crown & Glory method. Aggie is on it now. JenniferMD did it and her fotki always inspires me. I would get it done every 6 weeks or so. I'm thinking the wigs cause too much matting.

Or get it cut in an inverted bob.

beans4reezy

I'm sorry you lost so much hair! I still think you have a beautiful head of hair, so you will bounce back. Def. post pics for more feedback.

Now, I'm getting scared now because my hair has been in extensions cornrows for six weeks now and has been hidden under a wig..I think I will take a couple out tonight to check on them.

MissYocairis

Are you deep condishing before you detangle LE? And, do you use a seamless comb? I'm doing the same thing you are with the wigging and plaiting underneath. I'm also 6 mos post. A few things I've done that have helped my shedding, imo, are:

1) I dc with AO's Honeysuckle Rose condish (mix in a lil honey and coconut oil and dc overnight)
2) After rinsing out the dc and before detangling I spray with either Chi Silk protein or Aphogee Keratin spray, then mix a small circle of leave-in with serum and work through hair and then I use a bit of glossing spray...it makes the comb glide through easier.
3) During the week, I will send oil through my scalp and ends and massage it all in while it's in plaits (using a color applicator).
4) The seamless combs for detangling are a must (bone or tortoise either one).
5) don't use those combs on your nape and give it tlc at night.

Lady Esquire

I have been DCing weekly. I unbraid, detangle, and rebraid weekly. I prepoo before every detangling session. I even warm up hot oil and let it sit a while. I use a sharp metal rat tail pic and I take my time.

Before I make my final assessment, I will detangle one last time. I did not take it all out and I got frustrated. I'm telling you, the shedding is bananas.

Thanks ladies for all of your suggestions. I'll definitely incorporate them.

hair4romheaven

While wigging I braid cornrows,wash dc and everything while in braids. when i notice them loose I re braid them. Every six weeks I wash dc, protein all while in braids. dry 80% then take one braid out blow dry with hot sock, Taaliah waajid moist, chi silk inf, while using the hand tension method. I stretch the hair with my hand and detangle the roots with my fingers then move on to the next braid. after comb with bone comb and re-braid. I literally shed a dime size ball of hair at 6 mnths post.

JJamiah

I wouldn't cut unless you wear it out. Otherwise, maybe you don't need to braid it under bobby pin it up into a french twist and plop your weave on. I lost a lot of hair back in the beginning of november from my vacation swimming and I baby'd my hair and am still doing just that today.

Deep condition and use preventive measures to make sure you don't lose any more hair. keep the hair you have right now and just up your DC and PS game!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I'm thinking of switching from wigs to braids. Instead of the wigs, maybe I should follow the Crown & Glory method. Aggie is on it now. JenniferMD did it and her fotki always inspires me. I would get it done every 6 weeks or so. I'm thinking the wigs cause too much matting.

Or get it cut in an inverted bob.

I think that would be my choice, if it was me.:yep: