Cutting hair by the moon

NaturalfienD

I plan on dusting on November 10th … I last dusted in late-September. I will continue dusting during Omega 1 for a little while for quick growing hair. ;)

So …

I dusted my hair yesterday, looks great, and now I'm all in my head about the moon phase. I dug up some research after doing the deed and found I dusted on a waning moon … waning moons reduce the growth rate of hair.

I found a website that shows what phase the moon's in (lunaf.com) and it includes the astro sign the moon is in, too. I found a different site that gives tips on which astro sign is best for trimming to have quick growing hair.

To undo my potential slowing of growth, I'm gonna dust as the moon gets bigger, during Pisces. I hope that I don't do too much and f up my progress by light dusting again … once I get my phase together, I will dust every four months.

Last edited:

nomadpixi

I used to try this using a more custom method, but am curious about this too. Anybody try the Omega 1 for loosening curls? Any results?

itismehmmkay

Yep :yep:

http://www.fullmoon.info/en/fullmoon-calendar.html
http://www.cafeastrology.com/thisweekinastrology.html
http://www.calendar-365.com/moon/moon-phases.html

I just googled it and picked these random sites.

But anyway, this'll be my first time doing this. I already did a lil trim the other day. I guess it was last Monday or Tuesday

ETA: Wait is that right? B/c according to the think in the OP, the 28th wasn't a day for growth? Damn, what is this?

ETA more: Ohhhhh it's a new moon? not a full one? Hmm...I'm confused now.

Last edited:

freckledface

I was going by the moroccan calander but didn't have the chart on me at the time someone linked it. Yea its a lil confusing because there's a few charts out there and all the dates aren't the same on them.

NaturalfienD

I used to try this using a more custom method, but am curious about this too. Anybody try the Omega 1 for loosening curls? Any results?

I dusted my hair during Omega 1 nomadpixi and I cannot say whether some of the kink is loosened or not ... (hopefully there are others who have tried it and can chime in about their experience.) I would like to share some random information about the moon phases because I think that it is helpful to know ...

I realized that Omega 1 with Lunatips usually occurs during a waning moon (at least for October, November and December.) What I have read on the Farmer's Almanac and other sites is that waning moons are great for slowing growth rates down.

I did some more cross referencing (between Lunatips and the lunar phase website) and found that Omega 3 in Lunatips (at least for October, November and December) occurs during the New Moon, which is reportedly great for enhancing growth.

Although I wouldn't mind having a looser curl pattern, I am worried about the possibility of slowing my growth rate down by cutting on Omega 1.
I am going to dust during Omega 3 or whenever the New Moon is from here on out ... and hopefully I have great results.

If you choose to dust during Omega 1 please come back to share your results and whether you noticed a difference in your curl pattern because I would love to know. :)

NaturalfienD

Yep :yep:

http://www.fullmoon.info/en/fullmoon-calendar.html
http://www.cafeastrology.com/thisweekinastrology.html
http://www.calendar-365.com/moon/moon-phases.html

ETA: Wait is that right? B/c according to the think in the OP, the 28th wasn't a day for growth? Damn, what is this?

ETA more: Ohhhhh it's a new moon? not a full one? Hmm...I'm confused now.

I had a link to naturallycurly.com that had a discussion about trimming based upon moon phases but I can't find it ... what I remember the post citing is that it is best to trim during the New Moon all the way up until the First Quarter because the moon is growing. If possible trim during the time when the moon is in Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces, Capricorn, or Taurus (Leo gives one thicker hair, reportedly.) One might be alright to trim between the New Moon and the Full Moon because the moon is still getting bigger. Where it gets tricky (at least from what I have read) is trimming after the Full Moon because it begins waning/getting smaller.

Is that about as clear as mud or what? ...

ETA: I found the link ... cympreni gets into the discussion in depth:

http://naturallycurly.com/curltalk/growing-out/27455-cutting-hair-based-phases-moon-growth.html

ETA again: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip001.htm

Last edited:

curlycrown85

To keep it easy, I cut my hair on a:
New Moon -- for longer hair
Full Moon -- for thicker hair

Solstices and Equinoxes are good times to cut, too.

I've come across several different lunar hair charts that have conflicting dates (i.e., one chart would say cut for longer hair on the same date another chart would say cut to SLOW growth). However, I've always been able to trust the moon cycling from new to full in other life instances, so I've implemented it with my trimming/dusting schedule. Every month, I take off of work (ahead of time) on the full moon and new moon just in case I need to trim my hair. In daily styling, I like to avoid cutting fairy knots until the full moon or new moon. So, no, I don't trim my hair EVERY month, but I do clip the fairy knots whenever a full moon or new moon comes. Otherwise, I wait once every few months to trim.

sckri23

I trimmed on the 14th I forgot about the lunar calendars what did it say about the 14th?? I hope I didn't mess up

Swype thinks weird and wierd are both correct

I trimmed on the 14th I forgot about the lunar calendars what did it say about the 14th?? I hope I didn't mess up

Swype thinks weird and wierd are both correct

This is from the hairboutique link posted in here!

Dates which are the very best for the month are bolded. These dates are for the general population.
If you have specific hair issues you may require a custom moon chart to address your hair needs*.
January: 12, 13, 14-17, 18, 19, 20, 21-24
February: 11-13, 14, 15, 16, 17-23
March: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18-24, 25
April : 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16-20, 21-23
May: 10, 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16-19, 20, 21-23
June: 9, 10, 11-14, 15, 16, 17-21
July: 9, 10, 11-14, 15, 16-18, 19, 20
August: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15-18
September: 6-8, 9, 11, 12-14, 15, 16, 17
October: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11-14, 15, 16
The Moon Covered
By Clouds
by
Code1name​
November: 4, 5, 6-8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
December: 3, 4, 5, 6-8, 9, 10-12, 13, 14, 15

I am very confused now, I trim my hair yesterday waxing moon, in the sign of Pisces. Now I checked the Moroccan lunar hair chart and for length the best days to cut hair was on Jan 6-7 and other websites have different dates.

So is it best to just cut it when the moon is on the astrological signs Pisces, Cancer, Taurus and Capricorn?

On the farmer almanac website it said that it was good to cut your hair for thickness and length on 1/16/13.:perplexed

:sad: Someone please help!!

Or is it best to just cut the hair on the full moon and thats it?

Lucia

Start of first quarter moon today from today to Jan 26 for growth, then Jan 27, 2013 is the full moon trimm or cut for thickness.
I already dusted I needed it this time around. I only dust when I need it but I won't be trimming for another couple of months maybe more I'm trying to get myself on the every 6 month schedule.

Last edited:

Lucia

I am very confused now, I trim my hair yesterday waxing moon, in the sign of Pisces. Now I checked the Moroccan lunar hair chart and for length the best days to cut hair was on Jan 6-7 and other websites have different dates.

So is it best to just cut it when the moon is on the astrological signs Pisces, Cancer, Taurus and Capricorn?

On the farmer almanac website it said that it was good to cut your hair for thickness and length on 1/16/13.:perplexed

:sad: Someone please help!!

Or is it best to just cut the hair on the full moon and thats it?

BornAgainNatural2012

I don't use the star signs it gets too confusing. I just keep it simple. I can't follow all that.
From the new moon (no visible moon) to day before full moon when the moon is growing fuller for length. You cut during the growth phase for growth. Full moon days before it starts shrinking waning down, cut form thickness. trim/ cut when the moon is full for thickness. I hope that makes sense. I just use the regular lunar calendar site or app it's much easier. And only trim the months you need too there are full moons all the time no need to trim every month if your hair isn't severely damaged. HTH

Last edited:

nomadpixi

Found this bit on Lunatips-hopes it helps explain it better. I'm going to try this for a year and see how it works

Lunatips Natural Hair Care
Current mood:contemplative
Did you know that each month the DNA contained within each strand of hair completes 12 phases each and every month (144 phases each year complete one full DNA Cycle).
Grooming your hair has never been easier in this the Golden Age of DNA
By simply having your hair cut during the correct time of the Great DNA cycle you can have the hair of your choice
Depending on which phase you have your cut during will determine what type of hair you have.
There are 6 phases that are good for cutting hair and 6 phases that should be avoided at all costs, unless of course you are wishing to achieve Thinning of the Hair or Male Pattern Baldness
Each phase will produce different types of hair:
Phase 1 – Cutting your hair during Phase 1 of the DNA Cycle promotes slow growing hair – this is an ideal time for people who have short hair to have their hair cut as you will maximise the time between visits to the hairdressers
Phase 2 – Cutting your hair during Phase 2 of the DNA Cycle promotes excess oils being produced – this results in greasy hair – good time to have your hair cut if you have very dry coarse hair as this will add essential oils to your hair naturally
Phase 3 – Cutting your hair during Phase 3 of the DNA Cycle promotes quick long growth – this is the time to have your hair cut if you are wishing to grow your hair long or if you already have long hair and would like to keep it in tip top condition
Phase 4 – Cutting your hair during Phase 4 of the DNA cycle promotes the production of new hair – this is an ideal time to have your hair cut if you have been experiencing loss of hair
Phase 5 – Cutting your hair during Phase 5 of the DNA Cycle promotes hair that is dry and coarse in texture – this is an ideal time to have your hair cut if you have greasy hair as this will reduce the amount of natural oils being produced by the hair
Phase 6 – Cutting your hair during Phase 6 of the DNA Cycle promotes thicker stronger hair – this is an ideal time to have your hair cut if you have been experiencing thinning of the hair
Phase 7 – 12
During Phases 7 – 12 cutting of the* hair results in thinning of the hair and hair loss – hair that is cut during these time periods is reduced in strength by upto 15% and is non porous
Phase 3 & 6
Having your Hair Cut during these phases promotes porous hair that is receptive to hair colouring treatments and conditioning treatments
Phase 1 – 6
During this time your hair requires a gentle cleansing shampoo and is receptive to conditioning treatments
Phase 7 – 12
During this time your hair requires a clarifying/anti-dandruff/ shampoo and is not receptive to conditioning treatments – applying conditioning treatments to the hair during these phases results in lank hair as the conditioner is not absorbed into the hair and rest on the outer surface of the hair weighing the hair down
When hair is cut in accordance with the great DNA Cycle hair is not only manageable but you will promote healthy vibrant hair whilst saving you a small fortune on hair care products and services
Find out today how you can unlock your Hairs Natural Potential Visit
Lunatips The Holy Grail of Hair Care
Copyright © Lunatips 2000 - 2007
All Rights Reserved

itismehmmkay

I just read first quarter n full moon were between the 17th n 25th. So I'm trimming on the 22nd which will be my wash day anyway. Are those dates right?

Aggie

I have been using the moroccan method - cutting for thickness last year and will continue to do so at least int o half of this year because I really like the results so far. I will not be cutting for length until maybe the ending part of this year or early next year.

The thickness matter to me more than the length at this time - shoots, strength matter more to me than length as well, come to think about it. I'll let my nutrition and vitamins take care of the length. If it's thick and strong, it will grow long anyway. That is of course my reasoning.

ElegantExotic

Thanks for this thread and posting links to the Lunatips Morrocan calendars! I scheduled my next trim for March 2, so fingers crossed this works.

After a bad trim a few months ago, my hair seems to be stuck, so I'm anxious to see the results.

Aggie

My hair trim is scheduled for March 29th for thickness. I don't care too much about length at the moment. I NEED thicker hair more than I need longer hair. I have been trimming my hair for thickness for almost a year now and my hair looks a ton better.

I would like to continue trimming for thickness for the rest of this year and then maybe move on to Strength for next year, then length the following year. I'll see how it goes by the end of this year.

OceanEyes

Aggie

How thick would you say it has gotten? How long did it take to see a noticeable change?

I'll be doing light trims for length and thickness.