Da Phony Pony Thread

SelfStyled

Calling all phony pony, drawstring, mane clip, UPA clip wearers:lachen:!

I have noticed that phony ponies don't get too much love on the forum. I know that I can't be the only one here that has experienced great growth and retention using these as a protective style.

I get crazy creative with my phony ponies.

I will share 1st......my hopes are that this will be like da wig thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=285845&highlight=wig - where members will share their pictures, best places to purchase,and any tips they have.

Whether you are using phony ponies to bun or just wearing them as regular ponies please come in and share. Phony ponies have come a long way in the past couple of years.

Phony Ponies can be used for:
  • Increasing your cowashing
  • Stretching your relaxer
  • Bad Hair Days
  • Club Nights
  • To baggy with
  • Protect your ends
  • Protective styling
    Low Manipulation Regimen
    To aid in transitioning
If any one wants to do a challenge let me know. The summer is fastly approaching and this is an awesome summer style.

Bun- I cut a hole in an old drawstring, put my hair in a pony, and then fanned my hair through the whole-tucked and pinned everything under.

Bun made with the Mane Clip/synthetic yaky ninja ponytail

Airdried bun- with a kids phony pony(I don't remember the model name)

Yaky ninja again-pinned on (bunned underneath)

Mane Clip- with a curly kids pony

High Pony with mane clip/Lord and Cliff Wavy pony

Mane Clip again (I don't remember the model name of the hair -just a kids curly pony)

As you can see I love the Mane Clip! I find it easier to use and less detectable when used with drawstring ponies rather than track hair.

HHG:grin:

Last edited:

supermodelsonya

I'm wearing a "I Dream Of Jeanie" ponytail to work today. I'll take pics later. Thanks for this thread. Phony Ponies are great...especially in the summertime.

cocoadiva2

I love a phony pony as my own hair makes the most pathetic pigtail. I love the kids ponys that you use. They look very casual and natural. I never thought of looking at the kids ponys. This week I'm a clip-on bun.

I'm up for a pony challenge. A ponytail is all I can manage on my co-wash days.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

Yay- I wanna see your pony SupermodelSonya- make sure you come back and post.

I like the kid pony's because I find the density of them to be more realistic. Cocoadiva you are so right about cowashing- they come in so handy when you don't have time to flat iron or rollerset.

LadyPaniolo

OMG, I remember when I first joined LHCF, it was ALL about baggying under a phony pony! You are taking me back with this thread. My hair is too thick and long for a phony pony now, I think. Even when I squish my bun down as small as I can, it won't fit in the teeny weeny area most drawstrings allow.

I have some of those half wigs that double as a drawstring, but it looks so fake when the ponytail is the size of a baseball inside the drawstring, so I don't wear them that way.

They are an excellent way to protect your ends, though, especially if you are relaxed and can get your texture to match.

ETA: That is a great idea to use the kid's ponies, I never thought to do that. I agree that they regular ones can sometimes look fake because of the density.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

OMG, I remember when I first joined LHCF, it was ALL about baggying under a phony pony! You are taking me back with this thread. My hair is too thick and long for a phony pony now, I think. Even when I squish my bun down as small as I can, it won't fit in the teeny weeny area most drawstrings allow.

I have some of those half wigs that double as a drawstring, but it looks so fake when the ponytail is the size of a baseball inside the drawstring, so I don't wear them that way.

They are an excellent way to protect your ends, though, especially if you are relaxed and can get your texture to match.

IA with the bolded:lachen:. Thanks for checking in though- your hair is really thick:lick:. I love your tex lax- your hair is GORGEOUS.

It definitely seems that people were using phony ponies in the LHCF past- I know there are still some PP wearers out there though- come on out ya'll.

Who was the member with the gorgeous red hair that recently tried a phony pony for the 1st time?

JJamiah

I AM IN!

I love phony ponies and yes they don't get any love, I have two kids pony's (the BSS cashier recommended those) and about 6 brand new phony pony adults!

I call it hair in a bag!

I will be wearing mine all summer long with my co-washing! I don't want my ends out and about, so from June 21, 2009 - September 21, 2009 I will be wearing a phony pony. Of course maybe like 1-3 weeks out the summer I will wear a rollerset. But Majority is PHONY Pony, all of April and May is my phony pony months as well before my relaxer in June!

LadyPaniolo

IA with the bolded:lachen:. Thanks for checking in though- your hair is really thick:lick:. I love your tex lax- your hair is GORGEOUS.

It definitely seems that people were using phony ponies in the LHCF past- I know there are still some PP wearers out there though- come on out ya'll.

Who was the member with the gorgeous red hair that recently tried a phony pony for the 1st time?

:Blush2: Thank you! :blush3: I'm really happy with the results.

View attachment 29667

Okay self styled! :drunk:

Check out my nails from Biotin BTW!:rolleyes:

OMG! Those look like acrylics! I've never gotten that kind of nail length and strength from biotin! What dose are you taking? Do you take any other supplements? Cuz I'd LUV to have nails like that. :yep:

Lucky's Mom

I love my ponys. as my hair has grown though - it has been hard to hide the hair....

It is also hard to find ones I like - so I use the same one for a long time...

Attachments

• Copy of baggy in braids 035.jpg
    Copy of baggy in braids 035.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 361
  • Sam's 40th bday 009.jpg
    Sam's 40th bday 009.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 318

PuddingPop

Wow, OP , you have a nice collection of pony tails. I havent worn one in a really long time but i may check out some of the kiddie ponytails in the bss this weekend.

SelfStyled

I AM IN!

I love phony ponies and yes they don't get any love, I have two kids pony's (the BSS cashier recommended those) and about 6 brand new phony pony adults!

I call it hair in a bag!

I will be wearing mine all summer long with my co-washing! I don't want my ends out and about, so from June 21, 2009 - September 21, 2009 I will be wearing a phony pony. Of course maybe like 1-3 weeks out the summer I will wear a rollerset. But Majority is PHONY Pony, all of April and May is my phony pony months as well before my relaxer in June!

I love it! Hair in a bag:lachen: Take some pictures when you can.

I am hair lazy and these work for me.

Wow - SJ, I mean Lucky's mom:look:. Love your ponies. I wish I had that problem, maybe one day. I think the older they get the better. I hate when they are new and shiny.

Solitude

I don't have any pics, but I love my Milky Way human-hair phony pony. I use it as a PS to give me & my hair a rest. I was wore in for about 3 weeks straight in between co-washings during finals & I will be doing the same thing for finals this semester.

kandake

Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm taking a break from the half wigs and need some inspiration. I'm definitely going to invest in a mane clip as well as the UPA clip.

Lucky's Mom

Wow - SJ, I mean Lucky's mom:look:. Love your ponies. I wish I had that problem, maybe one day. I think the older they get the better. I hate when they are new and shiny.

:lachen:The name change was for the scary google stalkers!!!

LivingDoll

I love phoney pony's and buns. I attribute the most growth retention to these methods of protective styling. Now that i've decided to transition, I'll be back in phoney pony's and buns.

Here are mine:

UPA Clip, pinned into a bun

UPA Clip

UPA Clip

Drawstring Pony, pinned into a bun

Last edited:

Demi27

As you can see I love the Mane Clip! I find it easier to use and less detectable when used with drawstring ponies rather than track hair.
HHG:grin:

This is so funny. I JUST dusted off my my Mane clip and started bunning this week. I have been using track hair. I never even dreamed of taking the drawstring off of regular ponytails.

I am going to do this this weekend and see what happens.

Now, if I can just figure out a way for my nape to lie down. Even when I tie it down with a scarf it still looks dry in the afternoon. I am also 16 weeks post relaxer.

SelfStyled

Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm taking a break from the half wigs and need some inspiration. I'm definitely going to invest in a mane clip as well as the UPA clip.

I love my Mane Clip- I ordered the UPA clip- but I actually like the Main Clip better, and I think that is because I can switch up the hair.

I love phoney pony's and buns. I attribute the most growth retention to these methods of protective styling. Now that i've decided to transition, I'll be back in phoney pony's and buns.

Here are mine:

UPA Clip

UPA Clip

That white barette is so pretty. You should seriously be the poster child for growth and retention using phony ponies:blush:. Good luck on your transistion! That is so awesome- you just gave me an idea to update on the 1st page. Phony ponies can even be used to help sisters transition:lachen:- see they really are useful:yep:.

This is so funny. I JUST dusted off my my Mane clip and started bunning this week. I have been using track hair. I never even dreamed of taking the drawstring off of regular ponytails.

I am going to do this this weekend and see what happens.

Now, if I can just figure out a way for my nape to lie down. Even when I tie it down with a scarf it still looks dry in the afternoon. I am also 16 weeks post relaxer.

Chile, I take that drawstring out- put your hair in a bun or pony- put the pp over your bun, and then clip it all together.

Nice and secure, it has stayed on in windy days, and even a coloring session here and there:blush:. One night this week I was thinking I was cute and DH tried to pull it off, and said I want to see the real you- that sucker did. not. budge.

SelfStyled

I don't have any pics, but I love my Milky Way human-hair phony pony. I use it as a PS to give me & my hair a rest. I was wore in for about 3 weeks straight in between co-washings during finals & I will be doing the same thing for finals this semester.

I did not know Milky way had a HH pp. Can you link me to it?

cocoadiva2

So the junkie in me has placed an order for BOTH the Mane clip and the UTA clip. I didnt know something like that existed.

I'm going to be a ponytailing fool!

Last edited:

MizzCoco

ooh, I had no idea phony ponies could be so cute and real-looking. Ponytails have def come a long way...Im trying to resist buying anything new, but i need a UPA and a Mane clip in my life right now!

JJamiah

WHO R YOU TELLING? my husband looks at them and is like sweety, does it have to be so shiney, I am like Yeah unfortunately; these are like fine wine they get better with time! Definitely!

I will post pictures as soon as possible, matter fact give me five minutes I can post one or 2 hair in a bags.

Attachments

• hair one.jpg
    hair one.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 391
  • pony tail.jpg
    pony tail.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 398
  • pony pony.jpg
    pony pony.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

JJamiah

ooh, I had no idea phony ponies could be so cute and real-looking. Ponytails have def come a long way...Im trying to resist buying anything new, but i need a UPA and a Mane clip in my life right now!

I went to a red carpet event with my phony pony as in my pic with the olive green dress! They can be dressed up or down. Like my pool picture, I just came from the pool catching a tan!

Dposh167

Here are mine:

UPA Clip

UPA Clip

woow....that looks like it could be yours!

I went to a red carpet event with my phony pony as in my pic with the olive green dress! They can be dressed up or down. Like my pool picture, I just came from the pool catching a tan!

lol.....i see u were working that shiny pony