Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 3, 2010

Devotional:
So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. Hebrews 13:6 (KJV)
How can we be confident in what happens today? What is our assurance for tomorrow? Where do we muster excitement about eternity? The Lord is our helper! Fear will not be our master because our future, our destiny, our eternity rest in the hands of the eternal Lord. The worst that man can do is to send me home to my Lord.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, my Father and my helper, I place my trust in you. As the Alpha and Omega, I trust you for all of my tomorrows and place my trust and dependence in you for today. In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
[[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.]] Blessed [is] he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. Psalm 41:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 4, 2010

Devotional:
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV)
God is working in us to conform our character and will to be like his own. God is a giver. God finds delight in generously blessing us. Now he asks us to do the same. Giving is not some arbitrary task given us to support our churches and ministries; no, giving is part of our character transformation to become more like God. It may be one of the truest ways we have placed our allegiance, dependence, and priorities in the gracious work of God.

PRAYER:
Father, forgive me for the times I have been miserly with the abundance you have shared with me. Make me a conduit of blessings. I know that all I have is yours. Please help me use it as you would. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 5, 2010

Devotional:
For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Romans 14:8 (KJV)
We are the Lord's. He bought us out of bondage to sin and death. We have voluntarily placed our lives in his hands. No matter what we do or where we go, his grace goes with us. He has promised to never leave us. He has assured us that nothing can separate us from his love. So let's live with a sense of excited anticipation, looking to see where the Lord will lead us. Let us face difficulty, and even death, with the assurance that we will not face tough times alone. Even in the shadow of death, we don't have to fear what the evil can do. We are the Lord's.

PRAYER:
Father, thank you for sending your Son to redeem me. Lord Jesus, thank you for coming to earth, paying the price for my sin, and sending the Holy Spirit to be your presence in me. Take my life and use it to your glory. May my faith not fail in the face of life's worst challenges. I pray that whether I live or I die that you be glorified in me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For I [am] the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I [am] holy. Leviticus 11:45 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 6, 2010

Devotional:
Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV)
I guess we could call it the irony of discipleship. To follow Christ means that we give up everything and follow him. To follow Christ means that we receive untold blessings in this life and eternal life with God in the life to come. So is it hard? Yes, sometimes it is. But life is hard. Is the burden light as Jesus promised? Yes, because we know our lives are not lived in vain, that we are living life as God intended it, and when life is over, it isn't really over! We get to go home and be with our Lord!

PRAYER:
Give me courage, O God, to face the challenges that I must confront. Give me charity to deal appropriately with those I meet. Give me thankfulness for all that you have done to bless me. Give me clarity to see that living for Jesus is the best of all choices. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[As] cold waters to a thirsty soul, so [is] good news from a far country. Proverbs 25:25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 8, 2010

Devotional:
Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, [but] not to doubtful disputations. Romans 14:1 (KJV)
Our life in Christ is such a blessing! We welcome new Christians into our fellowship to share that blessing. We don't bring them in to scrutinize their past failures or the current struggles, but to bring them into the love of God's family. God has welcomed us graciously and compassionately. Let's do the same with new Christians.

PRAYER:
Father, please make me more understanding and patient with my brothers and sisters in Christ, especially those who are new Christians. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore thou shalt love the LORD thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway.
Deuteronomy 11:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 9, 2010

Devotional:
And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all [men], even as we [do] toward you:
1 Thessalonians 3:12 (KJV)
God is love. God is also the source of love. He pours love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). So how do we make our churches, our families, our small groups, and communities more loving? We pray for God to grow the love in those in groups, let them know that we are praying that prayer for them, then communicate and demonstrate our love to those very same groups.

PRAYER:
Father, use me to help be an example of love to those around me. Please pour your love into my heart through your Spirit and then channel that love out of my life to others. Please help the loving spirit in our congregation grow more and more, not just to each other, but also to those around us who are not part of your Kingdom family. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed [is] he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. Revelation 16:15 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 10, 2010

Devotional:
Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in [his] brother's way. Romans 14:13 (KJV)
It is so easy to be judgmental of others. We don't know their struggles. We don't know their situation. Most of all, we don't know their hearts. When we are judgmental, we erect a barrier between others and ourselves. We often spread that judgmental impression to others in gossip. Our stubbornness to only view them with a judgmental spirit erects a barrier, a stumbling block, which can cause them to become discouraged and stumble.

PRAYER:
Father, please be with my attitude toward others. Help me be more patient with the failures of others, just as you are patient with mine. Forgive me for not being more of an encouragement to those who are weak and struggling. Forgive me for sometimes being a hindrance to others. Please use me to be a blessing. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 11, 2010

Devotional:
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. Romans 14:4 (KJV)
Paul is talking about passing judgment on folks in matters that are central to our faith. He reminds us whose job it is to judge these sorts of matters. He also reminds us that the person we are judging actually belongs to the Lord and what right do we have to pass judgment on that person. So often we can find fault with others, pass judgment on them about some inconsequential matter, but then never deal with the blatant sin in our own life. Let's remember that we will answer to God for what we do every bit as much as someone we are wrongly passing judgment upon.

PRAYER:
Father, forgive me. I confess that I have wrongly passed judgment on others when I had no right or authority to do so. I know Jesus died to redeem them. I know you love them and have a plan for each of them. Please use me to be an encouragement, never a stumbling block, to them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 12, 2010

Devotional:
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. Acts 16:30-32 (KJV)
Faith in Jesus is the absolutely crucial response to God's grace and is such a life-transforming blessing. For the jailer, faith meant hearing the gospel of Jesus as Lord and responding by believing that message, being baptized immediately, demonstrating a life change, and sharing in fellowship with other believers (cf. Acts 2:42-47). Imagine going from being the jailer over men to washing their wounds in your own home! Think about being responsible for the painful incarceration of men, then having these men baptize you and your family that same night! Imagine locking in chains men who would later sit at your table sharing a meal! Isn't God incredible! Isn't his grace indescribable! No wonder we rejoice when those who are lost truly believe! Life is forever different.

PRAYER:
Father, thank you for the surprises you have brought to me by your grace. Please bless me as I try to share your grace by presenting the Gospel of Jesus this week to those I love. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but [when] the desire cometh, [it is] a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 13, 2010

Devotional:
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (KJV)
Want to know something you can do that will please God? Rejoice in his grace. Pray for others. Give thanks for your blessings. It's simply something that he wants us to do.

PRAYER:
Heavenly Father and Almighty God, I am thrilled at the very thought of being your child. Abba Father, please hear my prayer of concern for several people who are on my heart today ... Loving God, thank you so much for the blessings you pour into my life each day. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:44-45 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 15, 2010

Devotional:
The LORD thy God in the midst of thee [is] mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. Zephaniah 3:17 (KJV)
God is with us! That's the great message of the story of Jesus (Matt. 1:23). That's the message of hope Zephaniah gives the defeated people of God. God is among us. He is mighty to save. He loves us. He delights in us. He stills the storms of our hearts with his loving touch. He sings us lullabies of joy. God longs to be close to us and invites us to draw near. What will your response be?

PRAYER:
Father, strengthen my resolve as I turn away from evil and seek to draw near to you. I don't want any imitation relationship with you. I don't want some artificial symbol of you. I want to know you. I want to experience your presence and to be used as your tool of grace in the lives of others. I need your presence to settle the disquietude of my soul. Thank you for being near. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 16, 2010

Devotional:
But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen. 2 Peter 3:18 (KJV)
Where do you need to grow in your walk with the Lord? How about keeping the tandem targets of grace and knowledge together as your goal. So often we pursue one or the other. But something seems to come unhinged in our soul when either of those becomes more important than the other. Let's keep grace and knowledge together because we see them together in our Savior.

PRAYER:
Holy God, I want to grow to be more like Jesus. I know I cannot do that without your Spirit's power and my heart's desire. In addition, dear Father, I want to grow in being a gracious person. I want to know and experience Jesus' presence in my life. Please bless me in this holy quest. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
O LORD of hosts, blessed [is] the man that trusteth in thee. Psalm 84:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 17, 2010

Devotional:
Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. Romans 14:19 (KJV)
"Make every effort!" That's quite a challenge. But notice where that exertion is to be focused: peace and mutual edification. Both sides of this exhortation are two way responsibilities. I must pursue and share peace if I am going to have it myself. I must edify, and be open to being edified, if mutual edification is going to happen. In other words, we live with other people in God's family. He wants us to be responsible for making relationships work in our spiritual family. He reminds us it will require strenuous effort. But, isn't that true in every family relationship? Love means sacrifice, effort, and concern for others. When we share our love willingly, however, we're much more likely to see it coming back to us!

PRAYER:
Dear Heavenly Father, forgive me for my impatience and selfishness. Defeat the bad attitude of competitiveness that I often display in arguments and disagreements with others in your family. Energize me by your Spirit to see areas where I can be a blessing and an encouragement to others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 18, 2010

Devotional:
In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul. Psalm 94:19 (KJV)

God is our comforter, sustainer, and Lord. Only his gracious presence and tender blessings can bring consolation and comfort to our restless and discouraged souls. So let's turn to him, honestly confessing both our sins and our sorrows. Let's ask him to take our anxiety away and restore to us the passion, the joy, and the confidence of our salvation.

PRAYER:
Almighty Shepherd, in the noise and confusion of many thoughts burdened by many concerns, minister to me through your Holy Spirit. I need your comfort and peace. I ask for your presence and your grace. In Jesus' name I ask. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 19, 2010

Devotional:
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him [be] glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21 (KJV)
What grand "Kingdom dreams" do you have for God's glory? What incredible ideas can you imagine requesting that God would bring to fruition? What are your expectations of heaven with God? Now that you have stretched mind, challenged your imagination, and loaded up your expectations, are you ready for some down to earth truth straight from the Marvel of heaven? God is able to do far more than any of that. His power is at work in us to do his glorious will and accomplish his eternal purposes. So let's not set our sights too low and expect too little. Live for his glory and expect to see it at work in your life.

PRAYER:
O LORD, God of heavens and earth, my Abba Father and loving Shepherd, please stir my thoughts by your Spirit to dream bigger dreams and have higher hopes than my earthbound and selfish brain can imagine. Give me a sense of wonder and expectation as I live for your glory. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For he hath made him [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 20, 2010

Devotional:
Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1 (KJV)
God has blessed us with so many wonderful promises. He has secured them through the sending of his Son "to conquer death and bring life and immortality to light." He will "transform our lowly bodies to be like his glorious body." He will take us home to be with him eternally, but until that day, he will live inside us and reveal himself to us. He will make us more than conquerors and will not allow anything to separate us from his love. So what should our response be? Yes, surely we should offer him praise. But, we must not limit our praise to words. God wants our lives to be pure, staying away from what is evil, vile, putrid, and corrupt. He wants us to do this, not so we can claim some moral superiority, but so that we can show him our adoration and reverence. In our desire to offer God praise, let's not forget that one of the greatest ways to praise him is to seek him in purity and holiness!

PRAYER:
Forgive me, Heavenly Father, for my sins. Purify my heart and cast out any foothold the devil may have in me because of my sin. Empower me to holiness and accept my life as an offering of praise and thanks to you. In the name of Jesus, I offer you my heart, my life, and my all. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wealth [gotten] by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase. Proverbs 13:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 22, 2010

Devotional:
O love the LORD, all ye his saints: [for] the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD. Psalm 31:23-24 (KJV)
Love the LORD! Be strong because of your hope in the LORD. In other words, recognize where your strength is. Acknowledge your source of grace. Give praise to God for his abundant mercy and power lavished on us through his Holy Spirit. The LORD God does preserve his people. He does honor faithfulness even if it is mocked in this world. The LORD will bless his people and deal justly with those who mock and abuse them.

PRAYER:
Give me strength, O LORD, for I find myself in trying times with enemies at my door and opponents on every side. Please give me wisdom to see your grace that leads me. Please give me courage to stand up for what is right, pure, and holy. Please give me vision to see the things you want to use me to do for your glory. Please keep my hope passionately alive as I wait for your work in me to be accomplished. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 23, 2010

Devotional:
The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth [him with] his hand. Psalm 37:23-24 (KJV)
I don't know about you, but I've stumbled my way through much of life. I've tripped at some of the most embarrassing moments. I've stumbled over my own feet, shoelaces, curbs, and just pure air -- both spiritually and physically. However, I am confident that in my spiritual life, even though I have stumbled from time to time, God has not let me completely fall. When I think I'm going to plunge into the depths of the abyss, the Father's love, care, concern, Scriptures, Holy Spirit, servants, and helpers have kept me from destruction. God's hand does uphold me. He is there in times of trial. He has been mighty to save. I do believe that he delights in my journey. How about you?

PRAYER:
O Father, thank you for your steadying influence in my life. Thank you for lifting me when I have been down, protecting me when I have been vulnerable, and comforting me when I have been broken.
I praise you for your grace, your glory, and your nearness. Through Jesus, I offer you my praise and eternal appreciation. Amen.

Wisdom:
For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth [therein], he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. James 1:23-25 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 24, 2010

Devotional:
[[[A Psalm] of David.]] The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 (KJV)
Along the coast of Maine, the craggy shorelines, the crashing surf, and the lighthouses perched at strategic and well-fortified points along the coastline. I cannot help but think of our heavenly Father when I think of the gloom that gathers as an impending storm noisily makes its way on shore. There in the storm -- with lightning ripping through the sky, winds howling, and the surf crashing -- stands the light that guides the way, strong against the elements and a beacon of direction and hope. Yes, the LORD, Yahweh the God of Israel, the Almighty Creator of all things, is my light and my salvation. My life, the eternal part of me, is entrusted to him. I choose not to fear. I place my trust in him.

PRAYER:
Father in heaven, I praise you for your faithfulness through the ages. I thank you for your steadfast love that has blessed each generation, giving hope in times of darkness, salvation in times of wantonness, and strength in times of weakness. Now I ask that you be with several people I love, who need your palpable presence as they fight their battles. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed [is] the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, and teachest him out of thy law; Psalm 94:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 25, 2010

Devotional:
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue [that] shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This [is] the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness [is] of me, saith the LORD. Isaiah 54:17 (KJV)
Because of the LORD God's grace and power, we will be victors. This is the final message of Revelation. It is the song that is sung throughout the Scriptures. This is the assurance that we have from God himself. Our lives will not be lived in vain. Those who berate, belittle, and batter God's people will be exposed and his beloved children, his saints of light, will receive vindication and salvation from the Father they love.

PRAYER:
Dear God, I pray especially today for your servants who are sharing the Gospel in difficult places. Some of these precious ones are imprisoned. Some are facing torture. Others are facing ostracism. Some face firing in their workplaces. Please give them strength today. Please deliver them from the evil one's vile intent. Protect them by your mighty hand and deliver them, like Daniel, from the lion's mouth to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye? Matthew 7:4-5 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 26, 2010

Devotional:
Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27-28 (KJV)
Let's live as if we've been redeemed! Let's show our love and character in our daily lives. Let's especially work together, with one voice and spirit, making a vigorous effort to share the Gospel with those who have never heard of the grace of God in the ministry of Jesus. In the face of opposition, let's not be deterred or divided. Instead, let's work hand-in-hand for the cause of the Gospel.

PRAYER:
O LORD, give us greater unity of purpose, greater love for each other, and greater courage in the face of opposition so that we can show the world that we are your children and Jesus' disciples. In the name of our Lord and Christ we pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:8-9 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
Feb. 27, 2010

Devotional:
Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband [also], and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. Proverbs 31:28-29 (KJV)
When's the last time you praised a godly woman for her life of faith and grace? Why not take time to write a note or two of appreciation and thanks to several of these women today. Where would we be today without the faithfulness of godly women? I can't imagine, and don't want to! Let's tell them today how precious they are to us and our faith.

PRAYER:
Father, I thank you for the following godly women who have shaped my life and helped me have faith ... God, I thank you for the great women of faith in Scripture who did so much for your people. Help us, your Church, your children of faith, to find every way possible to show these great ladies how much they mean to us. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. Philippians 2:14-16 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 1, 2010

Devotional:
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; Philippians 1:29 (KJV)
Suffer! How is suffering a privilege? It's not unless it is for Jesus. Remember how the early apostles were joyful because they were counted worthy to suffer for the name? (cf. Acts 5:41.) You see, he suffered for us so we could be saved. When we face suffering for the cause of Christ and his Kingdom, we help inspire others to live faithfully in adversity and show to all the genuineness of our faith. So few have anything worthy of their living, dying, or suffering. We have reason for all three: our lives will be caught up in Jesus' victory! (cf. Rom 8:32-39; 1 Cor. 15.)

PRAYER:
Make me courageous, O God! Help me to be faithful in times of trouble and strong in times of persecution, hardship, and suffering. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 2, 2010

Devotional:
Favour [is] deceitful, and beauty [is] vain: [but] a woman [that] feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates. Proverbs 31:30 (KJV)
Want to find a really good woman? Look for one who honors and reveres the LORD with all of her heart, soul, mind, and strength. Appearance, physical strength, and even personality can change and degrade. A woman whose heart is anchored and enlivened by the presence of God in her life will be a life-long blessing and a woman worthy of our praise, and the praise of her God.

PRAYER:
Father, once again, I want to thank you this week for the important women in my life who helped shape my faith and who helped me find my way to you. Please help me to value godly women in ways that bless them, honor you, and build up your Church. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift [is like] clouds and wind without rain. Proverbs 25:14 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 3, 2010

Devotional:
But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. Matthew 1:20 (KJV)
Reassurance beyond understanding! That's the beginning of the Christ story for Joseph. What he cannot understand and what he had no part in creating will now be the groundbreaking journey of his own faithful and generous heart. He will be the human daddy to the Savior of the world. He will live the rest of his life knowing that a miracle happened with Mary without his input or involvement. His faith, and God's use of him in this story, should awaken each of us to the incredible possibilities that God may have in store for us.

PRAYER:
Father, I have long admired Joseph for his trust in you -- a trust that helped him deal with what he could not understand. Now I come, with wild-eyed Joseph excitement and bewilderment to be reminded again of the miracle of your Son and my Savior. Please make him real to me as I seek to know him better. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Praise ye the LORD. Blessed [is] the man [that] feareth the LORD, [that] delighteth greatly in his commandments. Psalm 112:1 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 4, 2010

Devotional:
And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Matthew 1:21 (KJV)
Jesus. Yeshua. Joshua of the spiritual world. Mary's boy, God's Son, comes to help us tear down the strongholds satan has built in our lives. He comes to bring peace to our troubled spirits and joy to our nights of despair. He comes to not only minister to us and bless us; he comes to do what no one else could do: he comes to deliver us from our sins, those spiritual blemishes, rebellions, mistakes, and transgressions. Praise God! A deliverer who actually conquered what we could not to make us what we could not otherwise be -- pure, perfect, and holy children of God, like him (cf. Col.
1:21-23).

PRAYER:
Thank you, Father, for your forgiveness, cleansing, and transformation given to me by Jesus and the Holy Spirit. In Christ's name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 5, 2010

Devotional:
Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:22-23 (KJV)
God had repeatedly promised it. Men, women, and angels had long anticipated it. Now, in Jesus, it happens. God is with us. Jesus is Immanuel. We live on a visited planet, touched by the very presence of God among us. And it was just as the prophets of old had said.

PRAYER:
LORD God, my heavenly Father, thank you for keeping your promises, especially when it was so incredibly costly for you to do so. I want to know you better, O God, not just as someone I study, but as someone I encounter in my daily life. Please make your presence known as I seek you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 2 Peter 1:5-7 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 6, 2010

Devotional:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16 (KJV)
Are you ashamed? Culture tries to make us ashamed about our faith, portraying people of faith as stupid, insensitive, judgmental, and hypocritical. Are you ashamed? Are you willing to share your faith humbly and gently with those who do not know Jesus as their Lord? Are you ashamed? Your hero left heaven to come to earth and risk everything so that you could come home to heaven with him. This Gospel is powerful. This Gospel is transformational. This Gospel, and the salvation it brings, is for all people. So let's not be ashamed; let's be joyous and generous with this incredible gift that we have received.

PRAYER:
Father in heaven, please give me wisdom, sensitivity, and courage to share your wonderful story of grace with those around me who do not know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. In Jesus' name.
Amen.

Wisdom:
Dearly beloved, I beseech [you] as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; 1 Peter 2:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 8, 2010

Devotional:
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Philippians 2:5-6 (KJV)
Jesus did not hang on to his heavenly glory, but surrendered it to save us. Now he asks us to follow his example and share his heart. He wants us to treat each other as he has treated us, thinking of others' needs and God's will before our own. Now that's one revolution I hope I get to see fully happen!

PRAYER:
O Father God, please transform my heart and mind by the power of your Holy Spirit. I want my thoughts to be your thoughts. I want my heart's desire to reflect the passions of your Son. I want my will to be guided by your Spirit. Please forgive my tendency to ruthlessly hang on to my own importance, my own will, and my own self-justification, even when I know it is not right or best. Make my mind more like the mind of your Son. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Matthew 5:11 (KJV)

baddison

natural for good
March 9, 2010

Devotional:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Philippians 2:7-8 (KJV)
Christianity is not for wimps or the faint of heart. Our example is described by words like "made himself of no reputation" ..."servant" ... "humbled himself" ... "became obedient" ... "death on a cross!" That's tough stuff. And that is our example. The story of the Jesus may begin with a sweet child, but it also begins with him being placed where animals ate their food. While it may be powerful and precious, it is not saccharine and fake sentiment. It is about the price paid to redeem and the people who are different because they know their Redeemer.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, loving Father, thank you for placing the Gospel story in the real world where I live. Jesus, thank you for being a Savior who has come into my world and faced its toughest edges. Help me as I learn to be sacrificial, obedient, and humble so that I can be used to help others find your grace. In the name of Jesus, the Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessings [are] upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked. Proverbs 10:6 (KJV)