Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
July 3, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive [fn]what was promised.Hebrews 10:35-36 (NASB)

There are some tough times that go with living. They're inescapable. That's when our confidence in the Lord's salvation and our relationship with him get tested! It is one thing to sing "it is well with my soul" at the end of a peel the paint worship service, but it is quite another to be able to sing it when they auction your house off at the courthouse steps, you are told you have a long-term debilitating illness, or you lose a child to death. Faith can't take a holiday when we travel through the suburbs of hell or we'll never find our way out. So don't throw it away. Persevere! Keep putting one step in front of the other trusting that God will give you the strength for the next step. No matter how hard it is at the moment, don't give up to despair. Be like Job or Jeremiah who both argued and complained to God, but never let go of God. Don't quit. Christ is coming, for you with grace or in glory once and for all, is just around the bend

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty God, today is a good day. However, I am profoundly aware that some of those I love are close to throwing away their confidence in your love, mercy, grace, peace, and deliverance. Please use me to encourage them. Even more, dear Father, I ask that you use your Holy Spirit to renew their hearts. I pray that you intervene directly to change the course of events and give them relief and make your gracious presence known to them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
There is no wisdom and no understanding And no counsel against the LORD, Proverbs 21:30 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 4, 2015

Devotional:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an [fn]Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;1 John 2:1 (NASB)

God hates sin. Don't you? I know I do. But isn't it amazing how we'll fall back into the same old traps again and again. This is where John, the tender Shepherd that he was, hits the nail on the head. The goal is to not sin even one sin. But, knowing our struggle against the flesh, John also gives assurance to those of us trying to live faithful and pure lives. He wants us to know that when we do sin, the Sacrifice for our sins, God's Son, is also our defence attorney who proclaims us sinless by his blood! So let's draw close to Christ. Let's invite him into our heart each morning as we begin the day. Let's trust in his power and grace to sustain us and carry us through. When we do, he will!

Prayer:
God, no one and nothing is like you. I did not have to provide the sacrifice for my sins. Even though my sins broke your heart, you provided that sacrifice. Please use me today as I try to give myself, my life, and my future back to you as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to you as I try to say thank you for your grace. Through Jesus, and in his name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one [fn]mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;Philippians1:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 6, 2015

Devotional:

For we know Him who said, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY.” And again, “THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.” It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Hebrews 10:30-31 (NASB)

God hates injustice, unfairness, brutality and abuse. In a world where the greedy, the murdering, the thieving, the raping, the mugging... get away with their shameless and despicable behavior, God is the ultimate assurance that justice will be done and the wicked will not triumph. While those who love and serve Jesus' expect his return with anticipation and joy, those who are evil and vile will find out what a dreadful thing it is to fall into God's hands.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous God, my Heavenly Father, I am both uncomfortable and comforted to know that you will bring justice on those who have violently abused the innocent, weak, helpless, underprivileged, and infirm. I hate to see anyone lost. I hate even worse when evil people harm those who are good and kind and godly. Give me the courage to stand in between the evil of my world and those on whom it preys. Because of his grace and victory over sin and death, I pray in the holy name of Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 7, 2015

Devotional:

“But [fn]seek first [fn]His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be [fn]added to you.Matthew 6:33 (NASB)

Seek — pursue relentlessly — God's Lordship over your life and the righteousness that he demands in your daily life. The other stuff you pursue is all temporary. Only God and his Kingdom remain. In the process of pursuing God's kingdom and his righteousness, you will find that the God who gives you his Kingdom and righteousness, also will bless you with the things in this life that you need.

Prayer:
Holy Lord, only in you do I find what satisfies my soul's desires. The things that have captured my eye are boring after only a short while. The artificial things I have pursued, all of my addictive pursuits, have left me empty and enslaved. I find hope and help only in you. Please be near to love, correct, discipline, lead, and mold me to your glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.James 1:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 8, 2015

Devotional:

But [fn]a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually [fn]appraised.1 Corinthians 2:14 (NASB)

The Holy Spirit is God's abiding gift, God's seal and promise. The Spirit is our assurance that what he began with Jesus' sacrificial death and our participation in it through faith and baptism, he will bring to completion at Jesus' return. But the world cannot understand this great promise, just like it cannot understand much of Scripture. Without the gift of the Holy Spirit, their eyes only see what they can touch with their fingers and cannot fully see what is true in God's heart and revealed in his Word.

Prayer:
Father, I thank you for sending Jesus. Jesus, I thank you for sending the Spirit. Spirit, I thank you for never leaving me alone. As I am filled with the Spirit, O Lord, so fill me more and more until my will and my life more perfectly reflect your desires and character. Use me to bless others just as your presence now blesses me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, [fn]barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.Colossians 3:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 9, 2015

Devotional:

“For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. “But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”John 3:20-21 (NASB)

Truth is seen in what it does and whom it seeks. Let's live as children of light and seek after the Father who dwells in inapproachable and glorious light so we might be the light of the world.

Prayer:
Father of every heavenly light, I ask you to correct me gently as I place myself, my imperfections, failures and sins in your presence. Forgive and cleanse me by the blood of Jesus so that I might be spotless and holy and blameless in your sight. O Lord, I don't just want to be forgiven, I want to be useful to you and your church. Please help me find my way to usefulness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Like a dog that returns to its vomit Is a fool who repeats [fn]his folly.Proverbs 26:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 10, 2015

Devotional:

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may [fn]approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless [fn]until the day of Christ;Philippians 1:9-10 (NASB)

I don't know about you, but my most difficult decisions are not about choosing between good and bad. I usually know what is good and what is bad, especially when bad involves evil. My toughest choices are when I have to choose between good, better, and best. My love for God usually overcomes my weakness and I choose good over bad. But unless I've placed myself before God's word and surrendered my heart to him in prayer, I have a very tough time choosing between good and best. Yet I'm convinced that much of what God would love to do through us today goes lacking because we've settled for good when he longs to lead us to best!

Prayer:
Gracious and Almighty God, teach me your ways and give me your heart as I strive to not only love you, but to know your will and have insight into your ways. Help me to know the best things to do today and use my time in the best way possible to live out your will in my work, with my family, among my friends, and especially before those who do not know Christ as their Savior. In the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.Revelation 22:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 11, 2015

Devotional:

“Blessed are you when peopleinsult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. “Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.Matthew 5:11-12 (NASB)

For most who can read this Internet message, the sentiments of this verse seem foreign. But among those who closely study persecution, believers in Christ are enduring perhaps the greatest amount of persecution in the history of Christianity. For those of us who live in cozy places where belief is tolerated and Christians are just considered "unhip" or a bit out of touch, we need to be thankful that our lives make enough of a distinction from our culture to be noticed, even if it's a bit unfavorable. But at the same time, we need to pray for other believers throughout the world who are undergoing the wrath of hell for the faith.

Prayer:
Great Deliverer, we have many who call on your name with faith in Jesus who face persecution and hardship every day. I pray that they will not lose heart and give up their confidence. I pray that you will bring deliverance from this time of persecution. I pray that their sufferings will be the source of powerful witness so others will come to see the great value of Jesus and our allegiance to him. This I pray in Jesus' precious and holy name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted [fn]y God”; for God cannot be tempted [fn]by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.James 1:13-14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 13, 2015

Devotional:

The fear of man [fn]brings a snare, But he who trusts in the LORD will be exalted.Proverbs 29:25 (NASB)

Fear is such a paralyzing emotion. It robs us vitality, decision making ability, and strength. Courage helps us step out of fear's paralysis and turn its nervous edge into power. But this kind of courage comes to us fully only when we know that all Satan and his allies can really have of us is our bodies. He cannot take our mind, our attitude, our faith, and most of all, he cannot take our relationship with God given to us through Jesus.

Prayer:
O Savior, my Great Redeemer, thank you for triumphing over all that I fear through Jesus. You have not only given me a hero I can trust, but a hope by which I can live victoriously. In the name of my Conquering King, Jesus, the Rider on the white horse, I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;Hebrews 10:23 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 14, 2015

Devotional:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,1 Peter 1:3 (NASB)

The great truth about Jesus' empty tomb is not that just that he is risen, but that he is living! His victory over death wasn't short lived, it was ultimate. He now lives to make intercession for us until he can return and bring us to his home. Our life is hidden with him so that no one and nothing can take it from us. When he appears, we will get to share in his never ending glory. How can we not praise God for such grace!

Prayer:
Almighty God, I praise you from the bottom of my heart for your incredible and glorious grace which has brought eternal victory out of mortal anguish. Thank you for paying the price to make it so. You are marvelous beyond my words. You are worthy of more praise than all your children's voices together can tell. My hope will live forever because he is risen and reigning as Lord. To you be all honor, glory, and majesty forever, and ever, in the name of Jesus your Son and my Lord, Amen!

Wisdom:
There is one who speaks rashly like the thrusts of a sword, But the tongue of the wise brings healing.Proverbs 12:18 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 15, 2015

Devotional:

Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth.Proverbs 27:1 (NASB)

Don't you have your hands full with today? Don't you find yourself distracted from the urgent and important things of today when you worry about the problems of tomorrow? Don't you occasionally find yourself missing an opportunity today while fantasizing about all the possibilities down the road? Isn't it a waste of time to be anxious about those things over which you have no influence? So why worry so much about tomorrow, and next week, and...? Let's walk with God today and trust in his faithfulness for us tomorrow.

Prayer:
Holy God, give me the strength to seize the moment and live the life today that will please you and bless others. Help my heart feel the urgency of today and act with boldness, kindness, and salvation instead of worrying so much about what may happen tomorrow or next week. Give me the immediacy of the moment I see in your son's ministry when he walked the earth. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, Nor stand in the [fn]path of sinners, Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!Psalm 1:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 16, 2015

Devotional:

Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near.Isaiah 55:6 (NASB)

In truth, God is always close to those who genuinely seek after him. The real problem is that we drift away from him, lose interest, and leave his presence. So let's seek him and receive his grace and his help while we recognize that he alone is the one who truly saves.

Prayer:
Father, I seek you with all my heart. While I seek to know about you through your Word, I long to know you and be known by you as a tender father knows his child and as a child feels complete trust toward his tender father. Father, not only be my God, but also be real to me in ways that transcend explanation. Help me to sense your nearness and to know your presence. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]fixing our eyes on Jesus, the [fn]author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.Hebrew 12:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 17, 2015

Devotional:

The earth mourns andwithers, the world fades andwithers, the exalted of the people of the earth fade away.Isaiah 24:4 (NASB)

When we see mountains we feel small, knowing not only how much larger it is than we are, but also how much longer it has been here than we have been. But the Lord was long before any mountain and will be long after it has melted into nothing. He is the only rock of security and stability. All the forevers we have are found in him.

Prayer:
Eternal I Am, who is and was and will be forever, I trust that you are and will always be my God, my Redeemer, my Savior, my Shepherd, and my Father. I commit all my tomorrows to you. In the name of Jesus my Lord I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.1 John 2:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 18, 2015

Devotional:

A Psalm of David, [fn]when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, You are my God; I shall seek You [fn]earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh [fn]yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water.Psalm 63:1 (NASB)

Addiction has been defined as "God-hunger directed to the wrong source of soul satisfaction." Psalm 63 reminds us this is true. Deep in us is a desire to seek after God because he is not far from us and longs to be known by us (see Acts 17). But often when our soul craving need for God is greatest, he is the last place we turn for satisfaction. Let's earnestly seek after him and slake our soul thirstiness in him.

Prayer:
Holy Father, fill my heart with longing for you and my head with understanding that it is your presence I crave. I confess that I have often sought relief for my hunger in things that do not satisfy. I pledge today to recognize all other sources of satisfaction to be temporary and false. I promise to pursue you and your will through your word and your Spirit till I rest in your presence and grace. In the powerful name of Jesus my Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD, But those who deal faithfully are His delight.Proverbs 12:22 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 20, 2015

Devotional:

“I, even I, am the LORD, And there is no savior besides Me. “It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed, And there was no strange godamong you; So you are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And I am God.Isaiah 43:11-12 (NASB)

1 Peter reminds us that we are here as witnesses to "declare the praises of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light." We have seen and experienced God's saving work. We are recipients of His blessing. We are the people who anticipate His mighty deliverance yet to come. How can we remain silent? How can we remain bitter, pessimistic, or discouraged? The God who made the tomb empty and made the corpse of Jesus our living and exalted Lord is our God. He is mighty to save. He is our Savior!

Prayer:
O Mighty God, I confess that I slip so easily into my day-to-day rut and grow immune to the joy and excitement of your salvation. Give me fresh eyes to see and a bold voice to tell of your glorious deeds, your mighty works, and your answered promises. I believe you are leading me to glory, so help me show and share that glory with those who do not know you as God, Savior, and King. In the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent [fn]by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. 1 Peter 2:13-15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 21, 2015

Devotional:

“You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him.Deuteronomy 13:4 (NASB)

So many people want us to follow their lead and obey their voice. Only God alone has proved himself faithful and loving through the ages. In his might he is to be revered. But rather than seeing reverence as a "church thing," we are reminded by Moses it is a "life thing." We are to obey and keep his commandments, we are to serve him and depend upon him in our daily lives. Rather than silence in the assembly, reverence is action to his glory!

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, help me take my worship outside the church building into my day to day life as I try to live what I sing, practice what I say, and pursue what I pray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
it is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in man.Psalm 118:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 22, 2015

Devotional:

Listen to counsel and accept discipline, That you may be wise [fn]the rest of your days. Many plans are in a man’s heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand.Proverbs 19:20-21 (NASB)

"Man proposes, heaven disposes." Most of us rush to give advice and make grandiose plans. The Wiseman reminds us that wisdom comes from submitting to instruction for a significant period of time and then, only at the end of long listening does it come. If you are like me, you would do much better to let your plans ripen a bit more in the light of the Lord before you launch into them. I am comforted that James, the wisdom writer of the New Testament, reminds us that God will give that wisdom if we seek it and not doubt. But while we pray for wisdom, let's pray also for patience to listen to the Lord's truth in Scripture so we may recognize wisdom when it comes!

Prayer:
Almighty God, teach me your ways and help me discern your paths for my life. I have so many plans and schemes, but I know if they are not from you, they will not stand. Lead me to your wisdom and I will not only seek to know it, but also seek to live it by the power supplied by your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let the word of [fn]Christ richly dwell within you, [fn]with all wisdom teaching and admonishing [fn]one another with psalms andhymns andspiritual songs, singing [fn]with thankfulness in your hearts to God.Colossian 3:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 23, 2015

Devotional:

Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah.Psalm 62:8 (NASB)

It is so hard to share the secrets of our hearts with anyone. We want to keep our secret failings, embarrassments, and sins hidden. We fear that others would reject us and we would shame ourselves if anyone knew the secret sludge in our hearts. But hidden sin is only hidden from us. It is not hidden from our Father. Hidden sin festers in our hearts and drives a wedge between us and the God who would forgive us and empower us to triumph over it. If only we would pour out our hearts to him knowing that he longs to be our refuge.

Prayer:
Loving Father and Holy God, today I want to confess to you several things on my heart. Father, I am afraid for others to know that I have...(confess your most secret and shameful sins to God) Holy God, I have sinned and ask your forgiveness for...(confess those sins that others may not see as all that important, but that Satan uses to diminish your allegiance to God) Eternal Lord, I get anxious about...(confess those things that make you worry and place them in God's hands) You alone are my refuge and strength. I trust these confessions with you and ask that you strengthen me by the power of your Holy Spirit to not fall into these same traps again and again. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit!Psalm 32:2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 24, 2015

Devotional:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.Proverbs 3:5-6 (NASB)

When things are tough, I find it easy to call on God and lean on his mercy and grace. He's my ripcord Savior. But I must confess, when I'm reveling in his blessings and things are going well, I am so much like the Israelites and forget to acknowledge that all the blessings I have and all the opportunities I have received come because of his grace. In my joy and success, I need to learn to acknowledge him and not trust on my own wisdom and strength when things appear to be going well!

Prayer:
Gracious Father, every good thing I have in my life has come because of you. The family I have been blessed with, the protection I have received, the values that I hold, the successes I have enjoyed, the hope I have, the salvation I have received, and the future I anticipate are all mine because of your grace and not my goodness. Thank you! Thank you! In the name of Jesus I thank you more! Amen.

Wisdom:
“But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’or‘No, no’; anything beyond these is [fn]of evil.Matthew 5:37 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 25, 2015

Devotional:

‘For I know the plans that I [fn]have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.Jeremiah 29:11 (NASB)

When Israel lay devastated in the face of a ruthless enemy that would rob all the glory and strip bare the very soul of God's people, God issues his promise. While the destruction visited upon them was in response to their rebellion and sin, God's punishment wasn't punitive alone, but redemptive. In their destruction, God promised prosperity, hope, and a future. Just as a doctor must cause pain when he sets a broken bone so it may heal, God's discipline is not capricious but curative, and ultimately life-giving.

Prayer:
In my struggles, O Lord, help me find your grace — not in the relief of struggle and pain, but in the redemption and change of my heart and my habits to your glory. By your grace and in the name of my Savior Jesus I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.Matthew 5:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 27, 2015

Devotional:

And do not be conformed to this [fn]world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may [fn]prove what the will of God is, that which is good and [fn]acceptable and perfect.Romans 12:2 (NASB)

Don't be molded by the world. Wow, isn't that a tough one to obey. It's a reminder that what we think is one of the places of greatest spiritual warfare. Sloppy thinking is more than sloppy, it's dangerous because we are fed messages constantly that distort God's truth and holy values. But rather than being incensed by the world acting like the world, let's be transformed by renewing our minds and doing what Paul said he did — take every thought, every word, captive for Christ. We often think a tithe is giving ten percent of our money, but an even more vital tithe is giving ten percent of our totally undivided thought time to the things of God!

Prayer:
O Lord, please guard my soul from pride, my heart from callousness, and my mind from too much focus on unimportant things and not enough on your things. Teach me in my heart what it means to be about my Father's business, especially in the world of my thoughts! In the name of Jesus, my greatest example of one who knew and lived your will, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, Ephesians 4:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 28, 2015

Devotional:

“For this reason You are great, O Lord GOD; for there is none like You, and there is no God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears.2 Samuel 7:22 (NASB)

"I am Yahweh, who saved you out of Egypt. You must never have any other god, but me!" The Lord God Almighty at the beginning of the Ten Commandments reminded us of this central, seminal, and consummate truth. What else is there to say?

Prayer:
Holy, Righteous, and Only Living God, I hold you in the highest place in my heart. Forgive me when I do not hold you in the highest place in my life. Empower me with your Holy Spirit to give up all the little things that distract my allegiance to you and interfere with you being the Supreme and Sovereign God in my day to day life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of ourGod and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, andto keep oneself unstained [fn]by the world. James 1:27 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 29 2015

Devotional:

Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of ourGod and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, andto keep oneself unstained [fn]by the world.Psalm 19:14 (NASB)

God does so much for us. He is the Strength and Promise that undergirds our lives. He is the One who has saved us from sin and death. Our worship comes from our gratitude for what he has done, recognition of who he is, and anticipation of what he is going to do. But worship can never be compartmentalized to just fit into church places or quiet times. Worship involves every aspect of life. That is why it is so important for us to tune the words of our mouths and the motives of our hearts to God's will and work. Then private worship, whether alone in quiet or in a group with Christians, becomes the tuning time for our hearts and lives so that our public worship, our lives lived out in the world, will play the song of God to a world who has not yet heard his tune.

Prayer:
O Holy and Almighty God, I want this day to be a day of worship and honor to you. May my life praise you: not just in thought, not just in words, but also in action. In the name Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Better is a [fn]dish of [fn]vegetables where love is Than a fattened ox servedwith hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 30, 2015

Devotional:

The [fn]secret of the LORD is for those who fear Him, [fn]And He will make them know His covenant. My eyes are continually toward the LORD, For He will [fn]pluck my feet out of the net.Psalm 25:14-15(NASB)

Where does true deliverance come from? Only from God. Deliverance is found in God through deep reverential respect for his holiness and might, through living in covenant relationship with him, and through maintaining our focus on him. Any other roads to deliverance are false and ultimately prove themselves to be a snare. Like the tight rope walker whose eyes are not on the ground or the surroundings, but on the rope in front of him where he will walk, so too our eyes must be on the Lord. Only by looking to him will he lead us to safety.

Prayer:
Precious Father, you have done so much to save me. You who are so holy and righteous, have reached down to take my hand when I was a sinner and in rebellion to your love. Teach me your ways. Correct the wrongs in my life. Guide me into the ways of your truth. I want to not only be saved from my sin, but from days of uselessness and frustration. Make me a vessel that can be used to honor you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, andthose who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body. Hebrews 13:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
July 31,2015

Devotional:

Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD. Psalm 27:14 (NASB)

If there is anything we don't like to do, it's wait. Maybe that is why God is so interested in us learning to do it! There is something purifying about remaining strong in tough times and remaining faithful when ill winds blow. So God gives us times of waiting to see if our search is really for him or merely for something new or easy.

Prayer:
Loving Father, I know you have waited for me so many times — for me to show my faith, repent of my sins, grow in holiness, come to you in prayer, act more mature, give to those who cannot return my care... Help me as I wait for you to show me the way with my decisions, to act to relieve my need, and to reveal your presence in my loneliness. I really do seek you with all my heart. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance. Psalm 33:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 1, 2015

Devotional:

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and [fn]ts works will be [fn]burned up.Psalm 37:4 (NASB)

Rather than seeing this as a way to get our wish list granted, let's see it for what it really is — an invitation to seek a love relationship with God above all other things. In finding him, we will find our priorities properly aligned and our hearts tuned to know what is really valuable and what is not. Then we will see that what we have in him is our hearts greatest desire.

Prayer:
Awesome and Gracious Father, I confess to you that so often my heart is full of selfish things. But in moments like these, Father, I recognize that you are what I most need and your will is my heart's desire. Please kindle your Spirit in me so that I may see through any selfish deception that would rob me of having you first in my life. Forgive me when I'm petty, selfish and shallow. May I know you as much as possible for a mortal to know you, not so that I may be full, but that you may be honored. Because of your grace and in the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and [fn]its works will be [fn]burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 2 Peter 3:10-12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 3, 2015

Devotional:

Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.Psalm 51:12 (NASB)

In the face of sin and separation from God, grace is a refreshing stream that restores salvation. But the joy of salvation is found only when we realize and accept the forgiveness, grace, and restoration God has given us — when we drink from the stream of grace. The joy of salvation is sustained in a changed lifestyle and an ongoing recognition that we walk with God.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, I long for the outbreak of joy in your salvation like I see in the book of Acts. I pray for your Spirit to lead us into another era of outreach, conversion, and celebration. I pray for wisdom to know and for eyes to see those around me who are most open to the Gospel. I want to be a partner with you in your ongoing work of salvation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Seek good and not evil, that you may live; And thus may the LORD God of hosts be with you, Just as you have said! Amos 5:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 4, 2015

Devotional:

I delight to do Your will, O my God; Your Law is within my heart.”Psalm 40:8 (NASB)

Too many of us are paranoid about the word law and find it hard to hear a scripture like this. But we must recognize that the goal of the New Covenant of grace and the gift of the Spirit is that God's law is written on our hearts and demonstrated in our lives. God is not concerened that it be written on tablets of stone. Jeremiah prophesied of such a day when the focus of God's people would be their desire to do God's will — a passion to love the things our Father loves and despise the things he despises.

Prayer:
Abba Father, I do want to do your will. I want to please you, glorify you, and lead others to you. Give me spiritual discernment to know your will and spiritual courage to do it today. I want your character and righteousness to inform my heart when I am tempted by Satan not to live for you. Humble me gently when I am wrong or have lost my way. In the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For it is better, if [fn]God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong. 1 Peter 3:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
August 5, 2015

Devotional:

Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.Galatians 6:2 (NASB)

I feel so burdened myself, that sometimes I can't even see others burdens. But Jesus reminds me that if I am to be like him, I will be a burden carrier. This is why he came, why he died, and why his resurrection is so important — to lift from us the burdens of sin, death, and depravity. He has blessed us by carrying our heaviest burdens so that we might lighten the load of those around us.

Prayer:
Compassionate Father, help me to see the burdens in the lives of others around me and then respond to those burdens with help. I want to be a blessing to the broken and discouraged, so please help me find my place and my way of serving to your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [fn]without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (NASB)