Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
September 7, 2015

Devotional:

O come, let us sing for joy to the LORD, Let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with [fn]thanksgiving, Let us shout joyfully to Him with [fn]psalms.Psalm 95:1-2 (NASB)

Joy knows no better explanation than laughter and song. We sing to the Lord because we are joyful! Our music is not inhibited or held back, but exuberant and as full of sound as it is of heart. Thanksgiving brings us into the Father's presence and it is our joy at being saved that leads us to sing.

Prayer:
O most wonderful and glorious God, thank you so much for saving me from sin, death, law, and futility. Thank you for saving me and giving me the assurance, through your Holy Spirit, that I can come before you with exuberant and overflowing joy. Your love and grace have not only given me hope but have made me your child. Hear my heart and be blessed by my songs of praise. In the name of Jesus I pray and will shout your praise forever and ever. Amen.

Wisdom:
Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 8, 2015

Devotional:

I thank [fn]my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, that in everything you were enriched in Him, in all speech and all knowledge,1 Corinthians 1:4-5 (NASB)

The apostle Paul was amazing. He is writing one of the most problematic churches and yet finds reasons to give thanks for them. First, he is thankful for them because Jesus died for them. When God extends his grace to others, how can we not do the same? Second, he recognizes the areas of their abuse are also a reason to give thanks - they may have distorted it, but when reigned in to honor God, these gifts could bless their church. Even though he has tough words to follow, Paul's example reminds us that a child of God is something to be cherished, even if that child has problems.

Prayer:
Gracious Father, give me the heart to see reasons to be thankful for all of your children. I confess that it is often so easy for me to view others based on how they view me, share my theological opinions, or how much trouble they cause me. Forgive me, for I know if you had done the same with me, I would have never been one of your children. Please help me rejoice in your children. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He made Him who knew no sin to besin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:21 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 9, 2015

Devotional:

Let the peace of Christ [fn]rule in your hearts, to which [fn]ndeed you were called in one body; and [fn]e thankful.Colossians 3:15 (NASB)

Peace - that illusive state of grace that incorporates all of life's well-being. Because of Jesus, we have true shalom - wellness in body, soul, and spirit. His relationships with others, his victory over sin, death and the grave insures that we can have peace, too! So as we receive the Spirit of Christ into our hearts, we can live with our brothers and sisters, no matter how flawed in a state of peace. Besides, as Paul changes metaphors on us, we are the Body of Christ and of course a body does not want to be at war with itself. So live in peace with others, and do so with thanksgiving.

Prayer:
Blessed Father of all believers, please give me a heart to love your people. I know as the character of Jesus permeates my life, I will appreciate the preciousness of each of your children more and will come to see those difficult family members as the grit out of which you will fashion my pearl. I pray you give me grace till my heart matches my commitment to love all of your children. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Wealth obtained by [fn]fraud dwindles, But the one who gathers [fn]by labor increases it. Proverbs 13:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 10, 2015

Devotional:

Enter His gates with [fn]thanksgiving AndHis courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations.Psalm 100:4-5 (NASB)

Worship is always about entering - entering into grace, entering with thanksgiving, entering to share with others, but most of all, entering into the Lord's presence in a special way. But our entering is not the basis of worship. Instead, worship is about the Lord's faithfulness, goodness, and enduring grace. We come to God like so many before us, with God waiting for us. We come to praise him for all he has been, all he is, and all he will be. We come to enter and worship. We can do this simply because God is faithful, through all the generations, to wait for us to come.

Prayer:
Faithful God, the Almighty Rock of Israel, the God on whom the generations trusted, you alone, LORD, are God. I praise you for your enduring grace and mercy. I praise you because I want my heart tuned to your will. I praise you, because I want to prepare for my longest lifetime, the one in your presence. I praise you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
so that we confidently say, “THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID, WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?” Hebrews 13:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 11, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so [fn]walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and nowbeing built up in Him and established [fn]in your faith, just as you were instructed, andoverflowing [fn]with gratitude.Colossians 2:6-7 (NASB)

Some things you don't change, swap, or update. In an age when computer processors make major leaps every few months and software companies release new upgrades every year, we get programmed into looking for the new and improved version of everything. The simple but profound truth is that Jesus is Lord. No update needed. No rival worthy. No change necessary. In fact, if we stray from this as the basis of our life, we put all we hold dear at risk. But if we continue, if we grow, if we root ourselves in this truth and make it the undergirding reality of our lives, then our future is secure and our victory assured!

Prayer:
Holy God, I thank you for the simple, challenging and enduring truth of Jesus' Lordship. Through you Spirit, I pray that you will conform my life to more closely reflect his lordship in my work, my family, and daily influence. In the name of the Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his [fn]natural face in a mirror; for oncehe has looked at himself and gone away, [fn]he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the lawof liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but [fn]an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in [fn]what he does. James 1:23-25 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 12, 2015

Devotional:

Whatever you do in word or deed, doall in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17 (NASB)

Everything! All! No matter what we say, no matter what we do, it is to be offered as a gift of thanks to God with Jesus' name, power, and honor attached! This makes all of life our worship and thanksgiving to God. There's no such thing as going to worship, if we live, if we talk, if we act it's worship and should always involve thanksgiving. So how has your worship been lately?

Prayer:
Almighty and Most Holy God, I want all of my life to be lived out to your glory, a living testament of thanks to you for the grace you have given me in Jesus. While I do not always do this as well as I would like, I lovingly offer you my words, my actions, my heart and my mind to bring you glory by doing your will. Please, use your Spirit to remove the areas of self-deception from my life so that weakness and hypocrisy will not rob my discipleship of its intended worship of your majesty. In the name of Jesus, my gracious Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is the man whom You chasten, O [fn]LORD, And whom You teach out of Your law; Psalm 94:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 14, 2015

Devotional:

Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us [fn]show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe;Hebrews 12:28 (NASB)

We are receiving the triumphant and glorious victory of God in his Kingdom. We will join with the angels and the saints of old and live with the Father forever in victorious and never ending joy. But this Kingdom doesn't just begin when Jesus returns. This Kingdom has started now in his Church, his people, those in whom God's will is cherished and obeyed. So our worship should be filled with awe that the holy God of Israel is also the lowly God in Jesus who has redeemed us and made us to be a holy people unto himself. What else can we do but worship with heartfelt thanksgiving and wonder struck awe.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, all things are yours. Thank you for sharing your blessings, your promises, your hope, and your victory with us in Jesus. Please help me to live a more thankful, victorious life before my unbelieving friends and as an example to my children so they may come to share your glorious Kingdom and ultimate victory. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Or how [fn]can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. Matthew 7:4-5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 15, 2015

Devotional:

Let the word of [fn]Christ richly dwell within you, [fn]with all wisdom teaching and admonishing [fn]one another with psalms andhymns andspiritual songs, singing [fn]with thankfulness in your hearts to God.Colossians 3:16 (NASB)

We sing when we are happy. We sing when we are heartbroken. Today we sing out of gratitude. God is not only worthy of all of our praise, he is worthy of all of our thankfulness. But the basis of all our songs is Jesus, and the proclamation of the good news that brings life to us through him. As that message, that word of Christ fills our hearts, we are tuned to be thankful children of the Most High.

Prayer:
I am so thankful today, Lord, for all the many blessings you have poured into my life. Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness give me hope for the future. Your gift of Jesus gives me life today and promises life tomorrow. The incredible physical blessings, as well as the blessings of family and friends are wonderful. But the greatest of all blessings is the assurance that I will one day see you face to face and share your glory presence forever. In Jesus' name I thank and praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 16, 2015

Devotional:

Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples.1 Chronicles 16:8 (NASB)

Giving thanks is more than being thankful to God, it is letting others know of his gracious works so they too can come to know him as Father, Redeemer, and Victorious Lord. Then others can join their voices with our own in a chorus of thanksgiving from the hearts those God's love has redeemed.

Prayer:
Holy God, Almighty King, bless all those who serve you in difficult places today. I especially am thankful for all the missionaries in other cultures sharing the grace of Jesus with people who need to know you as Abba Father. Empower their words, protect their lives and families, and bless their efforts with fruit. Please help me to understand that true thankfulness involves sharing your grace with others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will [fn]prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you [fn]appear as [fn]lights in the world, holding [fn]fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain. Philippians 2:14-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 17, 2015

Devotional:

(1) Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting. (26) Who gives food to all flesh, For His lovingkindness is everlasting.Psalm 136:1 & 26 (NASB)

Our thanks arises from the nature of God and his glory and goodness. The steadfast reason we give thanks is because God is good and his love is inexhaustible, beyond decay, and never ending.

Prayer:
O great Lover of my soul, thank you for sending Jesus as the demonstration of your love. I love you Father. I love you for who you are and what you have done. I love you for what you have promised. I love you for the blessings you shower upon me. I love you for giving me hope. I love you because you first loved me. I love you because you are worthy of all love. But I confess that my love is not as strong as yours, so please, fill me with your love by the power of the Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus, your Son and my Savior, I lift my heart to you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let no [fn]unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a wordas is good for edification [fn]according to the need of a moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 18, 2015

Devotional:

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and [fn]its works will be [fn]burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,2 Peter 3:10-11 (NASB)

Holiness is that forgotten character virtue that is the Christian's reflection of God, his or her holy and righteous Father. In a day when grace is so easily cheapened, when anything goes just as long as we want to be buddies with Jesus, Peter's words should shock us into reverence - the holy commitment to set our lives apart from the evil and satanic sludge that defiles our world and to offer our bodies, hearts, and minds to do his will and reflect his character.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, teach me to do your will and reflect your character while offering your grace to others. May the movements of my heart, the thoughts of my mind, and the actions of my life be pleasing to you and reflect your holiness and grace. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Likeclouds and wind without rain Is a man who boasts [fn]of his gifts falsely. Proverbs 25:14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 19, 2015

Devotional:

(1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.(2) [fn]He was in the beginning with God. (14) And the Word became flesh, and [fn]dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of [fn]the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1-2 & 14 (NASB)

All true ministry is "incarnational" - it involves people to people contact, human touch, and genuine physical care. Just as God purposely sent Jesus at the right time to the right place, he did so with us. We are here to bless others, "not just in word, but in deed and truth!"

Prayer:
Glorious Father, thank you for putting me where I am. I know I am here to do your work and carry on Jesus' ministry. Help me seize the opportunities you give me today to bless others in the name of Jesus. In that mighty name of my Lord I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]Praise [fn]the LORD How blessed is the man who [fn]fears the LORD, Who greatly delights in His commandments.Psalm 112:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 21, 2015

Devotional

God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, [fn]in these last days has spoken to us [fn]in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the [fn]world.Hebrews 1:1-2 (NASB)

God is a speaking God. He loves us and has chosen to get his message to us in words. First there were the patriarchs and great prophets. Then there was the written record in the Scriptures. But God's greatest message, his most powerful words, were not really words at all, but a person named Jesus of Nazareth, who is Christ and Lord of all. For us, his Church, to be what he wants us to be, we must not just look at Scripture, we must also look at him. He is the key to understanding what Scripture means and how it is to be lived.

Prayer
Holy Father, help me to see Jesus and his work and purpose more clearly as I open your Book and seek to understand your will. Fill me with your Spirit, so that I may greet each decision awakened to the answer to "What would Jesus do?" In the name of Jesus, my Lord and Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and [fn]patience; Colossians 3:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 22, 2015

Devotional

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.John 6:35 (NASB)

We crave food at regular intervals during the day. During this holiday season food occupies our thoughts and fills up our activities. But deep in our soul is a hunger, a soul hunger. This hunger cannot be filled by food, drink, or chemicals. This hunger was the desire built into us by our Creator, placed there when he knit us together in our mother's womb. This hunger can only be satiated by Jesus.

Prayer:
Please fill me, my Father, with Jesus. Give me today, my Daily Bread, that I may find life in all its fullness. Precious Lord, Jesus my brother and Savior, fill me and touch me with your presence so that I can serve you by blessing those around me with your grace. In the name of Jesus, my Living Bread, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral [fn]excellence, and inyour moral excellence, knowledge, and in yourknowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and iin your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.2 Peter 1:5-7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 23, 2015

Devotional:

Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, “I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”John 8:12 (NASB)

Darkness is more than a symbol, it is a pervasive way of living and viewing the world. Darkness is the place of deception, evil, crime, predators, sin, and death. To follow Jesus means to bring him our heart and let him cast from the darkness that plagues us on the inside so we don't have to be afraid of the darkness on the outside. In this way, Jesus gives us light, but it is a light that does more than fill a dark room with light. This is a light that illumines the heart.

Prayer:
Holy God who lives in glorious and irrepressible light, I praise you for sending Jesus to cast away the dark fears that so easily envelop me. I pray for strength and courage to not only live in the light, but show others their way to the light. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. 1 Peter 2:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 24, 2015

Devotional

So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. “All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and [fn]have itabundantly.John 10:7-10 (NASB)

Jesus came to the world to give us life. He didn't come to bring us rules, or judgement, or fear, or work. Jesus came to give us life in its fullest form. While we know that this is promised to us when we go to be with him for all eternity, John wants us to clearly hear that Jesus' promise to give us life begins right now! Not JUST life later, but also life NOW!

Prayer:
Almighty God, I confess that sometimes I play life too carefully, not risking failure and loss and not reaching for your opportunities and your concerns. Give me a heart that yearns to live life in all its fullness by seeking after your will, Jesus' example and the Holy Spirit's leading in my decisions today, and always. Through the name of Jesus I ask this to your glory. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are you whenpeopleinsult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 25, 2015

Devotional

“I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.John 10:14-15 (NASB)

The goal of our walk with Jesus is to come to know him as our shepherd just as intimately as he knows the Father. A key thing for us to remember: In a world where so many people want to attract our attention and are willing to give us advice, we can refuse their voice. We listen to Jesus because he has shown his love for us by laying down his life for us. He is not a hireling, he is the Good Shepherd.

Prayer:
Holy Father, you are wonderful and generous beyond description. You have shown your love by sending your Son to be my Shepherd. Help me hear his voice through your Word. Help me hear his voice through the wise counsel of spiritual friends. Help me hear his voice through the words sung to be by my brothers and sisters when we are assembled. Help me hear his voice in the Holy Spirit's work on my conscience. Father, I want to follow your Son as my Shepherd and Lord because I know he, like you, is good! In the name of my Shepherd and Lord I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessings are on the head of the righteous, But the mouth of the wicked conceals violence. Proverbs 10:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 26, 2015

Devotional:

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies,John 11:25 (NASB)

This is the most important question you will ever answer. Do you really believe this? Do you believe that when you died with Christ in baptism through faith, that you died the most significant death and that your physical death will not separate you from Jesus? All of life, even all of eternity for you, hangs on this one question.

Prayer:
Almighty and Everlasting Father, I believe that because you have adopted me into your family, that death will never claim me. Help me live with new vigor and confidence knowing that Satan cannot have me and death cannot claim me because I am yours through Jesus, your Son and my Lord, risen from the dead. In the name of my precious Redeemer I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore [fn]be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, [fn]making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:15-16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 28, 2015

Devotional:

Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.John 14:6 (NASB)

I don't want to be any more exclusive than Jesus. But I do want to hear his voice. He calls me to find the way to the Father through him. I must also know that others must know him to find their way to the Father, too. How can we not be more passionate about those around us who do not really know Jesus as their Savior, Redeemer, Brother, and Lord? How can the first four books of our New Testament lie unread?

Prayer:
Holy God and Righteous Father, give me a passion for Jesus and a heart that knows him in word, deed, and concern. In the name of Jesus, your mighty Word, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. “For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
September 29, 2015

Devotional:

“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. “If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. John 15:5-8(NASB)

We take on Jesus' character (bear fruit) by remaining intimately connected to him. The distance between heaven and earth is not so great when heaven lives within us. In John 14, Jesus reminded us that if we will obey him, he will come and live in us and will reveal himself to us. So as we obey him, we know him better. His life becomes real in us.

Prayer:
Precious Lord, I want to obey your word, your will, and your example. I want to obey you to honor you, to love you, and to know you. So please, help me better come to know you as I more closely walk in your steps. Help me to know what it means to live your life in my world. Because of Jesus' mighty name I pray and thank him as my Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do nothing [fn]from [fn]selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merelylook out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:3(NASB)

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
September 30, 2015

Devotional:

“The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your [fn]countrymen, you shall listen to him.Deuteronomy 18:15(NASB)

Jesus is that prophet like Moses. He has come and taught us God's truth. He has taught us with his words recorded in the Gospels. He has taught us with his example, through the deeds he has done. He is teaching us through his abiding presence in us and through the Spirit he has given us. But he teaches us most effectively when we put into practice what he has said.

Prayer:
El Shaddai, who thundered from Mount Sinai and gave your Law to your servant Moses, I believe you are still speaking today through Jesus. Help me not only hear his voice, but listen to his message and life and put it into practice today. Gently correct and lead me in the way of obedience so that I may more perfectly glorify you with the worship of my daily life. Through the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. [fn]Let them do this with joy and not [fn]with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you. Hebrews 13:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 1, 2015

Devotional:

“Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a [fn]virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name [fn]Immanuel.Isaiah 7:14(NASB)

God is interested in us personally. So much so, that he personally gives us this sign. Because of Matthew's explanation of the meaning of the name Immanuel, we know what that sign was - Jesus coming to live as God with us. His presence is God's presence. His life is God's sign. The miracle of his conception is God's mystery and also his statement of grace for us.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty Lord who refuses to be the god who is detached and far away: I thank you for coming to live among us in Jesus. I thank you and praise you for your sacrifice and pain. I know this sign cost you greatly so please let my praise in prayer, song, thought and life reflect my thanks to you in Jesus name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the LORD; We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.Psalm 118:26 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 2, 2015

Devotional:

But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under [fn]the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under [fn]the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.Galatians 4:4-5(NASB)

God waited till history reached his appointed time and sent Jesus. Just the right time — Roman rule, Jewish subordination, good roads, freedom, a degree of safety, a common trading language, cruel and barbaric punishment accompanied by religious infighting. In times such as these, he sent his Son to be a woman's son. He emptied his home so he could send a redeemer to our home. He did it so we could be his children — not pretend children, but real children, with full rights. So he could not only be God, but so he could be Abba.

Prayer:
Abba Father, even your name is precious to me. I gasp at how much it cost you to let me call you Abba. I don't understand such extravagant love, but I thank you for it. I know I don't deserve to call you Abba, but it sounds so right. Something inside resonates at the sound of Abba — Holy, Righteous, Almighty, Abba! While I know that I will never be a perfect child, I rest today in the confidence that I am your child and you claim me. Thank you in Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.Matthew 5:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 3, 2015

Devotional

Gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the [fn]Messiah was to be born. They said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea; for this is what has been written [fn]by the prophet: “AND YOU, BETHLEM, LAND OF JUDAH, ARE BY NO MEANS LEAST AMONG THE LEADERS OF JUDAH; FOR OUT OF YOU SHALL COME FORTH A RULER WHO WILL SHEPHERD MY PEOPLE ISRAEL.”Matthew 2:4-6 (NASB)

"The first will be last and the last will be first." That's one of Jesus' favorite sayings. Isn't interesting that God said it long before he was born. Isn't interesting that those who knew the Scriptures, but didn't know Jesus, said it too! Isn't it interesting that Herod and Jesus lived it thirty years before Jesus would teach it? Isn't it interesting that the Jesus gave us the Lord's Supper to remember that while Jesus died and shed his blood, on the first day of the week, Sunday, he rose. When it matters most, Jesus and his people will finish first!

Prayer:
You, O Lord, are marvelous. You are God Almighty, the holy and majestic Creator. Yet you became the least so I can share in your glory. Please help me, O God, never to look down on someone else because they look like the least. I know, Father, that as I serve and love them, I'm serving and loving you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
When a wicked man dies, hisexpectation will perish, And the hope of strong men perishes.Proverbs 11:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 5, 2015

Devotional:

Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin [fn]engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the [fn]descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was [fn]ary. And coming in, he said to her, “Greetings, [fn]favored one! The Lord iswith you.”Luke 1:26-28 (NASB)

Wow! Such a familiar sentence packed with emotion. An angel comes to Nazareth to visit and speak with a young woman engaged to be married. Before the history shattering news is announced, she is given one key reminder that will be truer than she could imagine, "The Lord is with you."

Prayer:
My request, O God, I've sung many times: "Be with me Lord, I cannot live without Thee. I cannot bear, to take one step alone." Father, I need your abiding presence to face the challenges of life. As you have upheld your children through the ages, I am thankful to greet each day knowing that I will not face it alone. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
Whatever you do in word or deed, doall in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 6, 2015

Devotional

The angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God.“And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus. “He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David;Luke 1:30-33(NASB)

Jesus is identified by many names stated or implied in the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John). Notice how Jesus is identified in just this one passage: child, son, Jesus, great, Son of the Most High, King, son of David, and leader of Israel (Jacob). Jesus exhausts all descriptions, and yet chose to be limited to imperfect descriptions by becoming human. But this flood of names and descriptions helps us find Jesus as our Savior in every trial and blessing of life. Jesus is Savior for all seasons.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty Father, I thank you for all the ways Jesus is described and all the names he is given. They help me see the breadth of his nature and the depth of his character. Please bless me that I may always find a dimension of Jesus' ministry or a name or description of Jesus to help sustain me, when I walk through the shadows of doubt caused by the evil one. Help me, O Father, to see Jesus and not my preoccupations and biases so that when he comes again, I will know him, and he me. Through the glorious name of the Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective [fn]prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 7, 2015

Devotional:

And Mary said: “My soul [fn]exalts the Lord,Luke 1:46(NASB)

While Mary's submission to God's will costs her in ways we can never imagine, for Jesus to come to life in the hearts of people today our attitude must be the same as her attitude was on this night of miracle and mystery. We too, must be willing to be the Lord's servant and offer him the praise of our lives and of our lips. In Jesus, the Lord has done great things for us!

Prayer:
Majestic Father, Almighty God, you have done wonderful things for me. You have saved me from sin, you have paid the price for my rebellion, and you have given me the promise of heaven and the Holy Spirit to empower me there. You are greater than I can imagine and your glory is without compare, yet you have stooped so low as to reach me and then raised me back up with you by your grace. I can never fully thank you, for you are more wonderful to me than my words can declare or a thousand years of life could repay. In Jesus holy name I give you all glory and praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.Psalm 34:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 8, 2015

Devotional

But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for[fn]the Child who has been [fn]conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. “She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for [fn]He will save His people from their sins.”Matthew 1:20-21(NASB)

Jesus first had to become the sins of the people before he could save them (us) from those sins (2 Cor. 5:21; 1 John 4:10). His own people rejected him before his forgiveness could be received. Jesus' gift of salvation was incredibly costly to him. It is a reminder of two great truths: God loves us incredibly and salvation is a precious gift. In Jesus we know and experience both truths!

Prayer:
Almighty God and Savior, thank you for bearing the cost of my sin in Jesus. Thank you precious Lord for taking on human flesh and bearing it's difficulties and facing rejection so I could be saved. My salvation makes all other names pale in comparison to Jesus, in whom I offer all thanks and praise. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.Galatians 6:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 9, 2015

Devotional:

“Blessed bethe Lord God of Israel, For He has visited us and accomplished redemption for His people, And has raised up a horn of salvation for us In the house of David His servant— As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from of old—Luke 1:68-70(NASB)

What God does in Jesus, is not a surprise. Yes, it was unexpected, but the "hints" and prophecies of his coming are found all over the Old Testament. The holy prophets had spoken about it "long ago." But more than the prophets, Jesus coming is God keeping his word. Jesus' coming is God's answer to his promises. That's why Paul can say that all God's promises find their yes in Jesus and it is through Jesus that the "amen" is spoken (2 Cor. 1). In Jesus, God comes, God ministers, God cares, God saves, God redeems, and God keeps his promises.

Prayer:
I thank you, Holy Father, that you keep your promises. I know I don't have to worry that you will keep your word to me; your love, character, and kindness guarantee that you will. So please help me be more faithful to you as I seek to honor my commitments and pledges to you. I know this is important to you not only because I need to learn obedience, but I also need to develop a character more consistent with your own. Thank you for hearing my heart, in Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who is steadfast in righteousness will attainto life, And he who pursues evil will bring abouthis own death.Proverbs 11:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 10, 2015

Devotional

“And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; For you will go on BEFORE THE LORD TO PREPARE HIS WAYS: To give to His people theknowledge of salvation [fn]By the forgiveness of their sins, Because of the tender mercy of our God, With which the Sunrise from on high will visit us,Luke 1:76-78 (NASB)

Where does salvation come from? Does it come from our sense that something is desperately wrong and we need to change and make it better? Does it come from casting things in a more positive light so we don't become discouraged and quit? Does it come from a lucky break? Does it come because we are scrupulously righteous and deserve it come our way? Does it come from rigorously obeying everything in the law? No! Salvation and forgiveness come from one source, "the tender mercy of our God."

Prayer:
I confess, Father, that at times I've tried to earn my salvation. At other times, I have taken it for granted and trampled on your mercy and grace. Today, Father, I want to live for you: not to be saved or gain salvation, but to please you and reflect your character and nature. Your mercy and grace have redeemed from the worthless way of living that I see so many trapped in all about me. Thank you for your salvation, but please help me to live in a way that shows the joy of that salvation in all I say, think and do. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved [fn]you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God [fn]as a fragrant aroma.Ephesians 5:1-2 (NASB)