Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
October 12, 2015

Devotional:

Now in those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus, that a census be taken of all [fn]the inhabited earth. Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David, in order to register along with Mary, who was engaged to him, and was with child.Luke 2:1, 4-5(NASB)

Isn't it amazing at how many inconveniences in our lives the Lord uses to accomplish his will in us. Can you think of a worse time to have to go on a cross-country trip with their modes of travel than Joseph and Mary faced. Yet God turned it into the moment in which the angels found their tune and Satan met his match.

Prayer:
Father, I thank you that behind history, and especially behind the part of history where I live, your hand is always working for my redemption and your glory. Give me faith to ride out the difficult times, knowing that you will use those difficulties to be the incubator of your next great work in me. In the name of Jesus, the Joy of angels, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, Whose hope is in the LORD his God, Who made heaven and earth, The sea and all that is in them; Who keeps[fn]faith forever;Psalm 146:5-6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 13, 2015

Devotional:

While they were there, the days were completed for her to give birth. And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a[fn]manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.Luke 2:6-7(NASB)

I've always been amazed at how God chose to place his Son into our world. He could have done it any way he wanted. But he chose this way — to enter the world in difficult times under difficult circumstances as a helpless infant who must be cared for by parents who were vulnerable to so many frailties. Yet in spite of the challenges that lay ahead and the bewildering mystery that confronted them, Joseph and Mary — along with everyone around them — were caught up in the great joy of this new child. Thank God for such new hope!

Prayer:
Give me a heart of faith, O God, so that I might always see your sovereignty and grace being poured out on me in special ways. I am thrilled that you, the Creator and Sustainer of the entire universe, chose to enter my world as a child. Thank you for trusting your wonderful salvation to human flesh so we could know that you deemed us worthy of entering our world to make us right for yours. In the name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.Matthew 5:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 14, 2015

Devotional:

In the same region there were someshepherds staying out in the fields and keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is [fn]Christ the Lord.Luke 2:8-11(NASB)

Shepherds and the glory of the Lord in the same sentence. Shepherds enjoyed a great heritage in Israel with Abraham, Moses, and David as notable shepherds and God being identified through Psalm 23 as a great shepherd. But by this time in Israelite history, they were not highly regarded. They smelled like sheep. They spent their time with sheep. They were not really clean and religious enough to be considered spiritual. So when God chose to announce the birth of Jesus to shepherds with his contingent of angels he makes his point clear: Everyone is loved by God, everyone has access to God, and everyone is desired by God.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty God, I confess to you that sometimes the outward appearance and reputation of a person colors the way I treat them. But today, I'm convicted of how much you want everyone to know about your grace in Jesus. Give me a heart to love all people and passion to share your grace with them. In the name of Jesus I pray this. Amen.

Wisdom:
But He was [fn]pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our [fn]well-being fellupon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.Isaiah 53:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 15, 2015

Devotional:

for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is [fn]Christ the Lord. “This will be “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men f[n]with whom He is pleased.” be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a [fn]manger.” And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men [fn]with whom He is pleased.”Luke 2:11-14(NASB)

The sign to the shepherds was a baby in a feed trough. Pretty potent sign isn't it! The Almighty Creator of the universe sleeping where the sheep and goats have eaten their grain and hay. That God would love us so much as to reduce himself to such an inauspicious beginning reminds us why the angels praise him so. He is glorious and yet he chose not to hide or protect that glory, but instead he shared it so we could find it, too!

Prayer:
God of the manger and Ruler of the constellations, I join my heart and my voice with the angels in praise to your glorious and holy name. Your sacrifice is so profound I am awe-struck. You could have chosen any sign to show Jesus to the shepherds, but you chose the manger. Thank you for revealing yourself in such a common place so I could find your sign and come home to you. I pray in Jesus' name with all my love. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore from now on we recognize no one [fn]according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ [fn]according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this wayno longer.2 Corinthians 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 16, 2015

Devotional:

A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul, And all that is within me, blessHis holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases;Psalm 103:1-3 (NASB)

Praise must not just come from our lips. Praise must emanate from deep within our soul, recognizing all the great blessings God has given us. While God is worthy of praise because he his holy and majestic and mighty, we have even greater reasons to praise him. He has been so very gracious to us!

Prayer:
Holy and loving Father, I praise you for your gift of creation. I praise you for your love in granting us free will to accept or reject you. I praise you for choosing Abraham to be the beginning of faith and a people through whom Jesus would come. I praise you for sending Jesus. I praise you for providing the sacrifice for my sins. I praise you for raising him from the dead and triumphing over sin and death. I praise you for those who shared the Gospel of your grace with me. I praise for what you are doing through me and for me. I praise for what you are about to do and yet remains enshrouded in mystery to me. I praise because you are Almighty God who has chosen to be my Abba Father. In the name of Jesus Christ my Lord, I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.Proverbs 27:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 17, 2015

Devotional:

“Come to Me, all [fn]who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.Matthew 11:28 (NASB)

At the end of the year, it sure is nice to be invited to rest in Jesus. So before we begin a new year, let's pause and place our hopes, our future, our dreams, and especially our burdens down at his feet and let him give us rest.

Prayer:
Teach me, O God, to learn to rest in your grace and providence more and worry less. I want to surrender my burdens to Jesus and let him teach me his way and how to find his rest. Sometimes I am so tired and weary I don't think I can continue, so please, dear Father, let me find rest in Jesus. In his holy name I offer this prayer. Amen.

Wisdom:
A wise man will hear and increase in learning, And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel,Proverbs 1:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 19, 2015

Devotional:

Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,” Hebrews 13:5(NASB)

We have two choices for our lives. Either we can live by faith or by sight. We can trust in God's abiding presence and power or we can depend upon our own resources. But wealth, like health, status, and reputation are all subject to decay and disappearance. Only one Source is always there for us and we know we can depend upon him, because he has been there for so many who have come before us. Never is forever and this one never I cherish: "Never will I forsake you!"

Prayer:
Holy Father, the Great I Am, thank you for being there tomorrow before I arrive there. Thank you for being there in my past when all others forsook me. Thank you for being there when I was unaware of your presence until I looked back and saw the evidences of your grace. Please give me courage to truly believe your promises, especially this one about always being there. Your promise has made "never" a very important word for me today! Thank you. In the name of your loving Son, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”Matthew 18:20 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 20, 2015

Devotional:

Then Joshua said to the people, “Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.”Joshua 3:5(NASB)

"Get ready. Get set. Go!" These words from our childhood are very important for us today as we seek to do God's will. God wants us to be ready. But all the personal preparation in the world is not going to make a difference if we have not dedicated ourselves and consecrated ourselves to do what we do to glorify God. What plans do you have for this next year? What plans do you have for tomorrow? What plans do you have for today? Before we "Get set" and "Go," let's get ready by dedicating ourselves to the Lord and his work!

Prayer:
Father of Mercies, I recognize that my plans and my ways are not necessarily your plans or your ways. Please help me as I dedicate myself to reading Scripture and listening for your will. I want to honor you in all I do and dedicate my efforts and myself to your glory, honor, and praise. In the name of Jesus, my Savior and Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“You shall walk in all the way which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong yourdays in the land which you will possess.Deuteronomy 5:33 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 21, 2015

Devotional:

But You, OLORD,are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head.Psalm 3:3(NASB)

My dad would never let me walk slouched over with my head down. "Remember son, you are a Ware. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Even on your worst day you are still my son and a child of God!" God is our protector and our proud Father. He gives us glory because he loves us. Because he is our Father who gives us such gracious gifts, we don't walk with our head bowed low and our spirits slumped over. He gives us ultimate victory! Even on those dark days when victory is hard to find, we are still God's children. Our Father paints the sunsets and holds the stars in their orbits. He guarantees our future. How can we walk dejectedly when we remember this?

Prayer:
God of glory, majesty, and might, I praise you for all the many works of your handiwork I see in nature. I praise you for the laws that hold our universe in place by your command. I praise you for the redeeming work of Jesus. So to you, God, I lift my heart, my hands, and my head and praise you for your grace and glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
For the choir director. A Psalm of David. The heavens are telling of the glory of God; And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.Psalm 19:1(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 22, 2015

Devotional:

while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.2 Corinthians4:18(NASB)

What do you see most clearly today? Is it what is seen or what is unseen? No matter our belief system, we ultimately have to trust what we can't see. Even the most atheistic scientist trusts gravity, breathes air, and depends upon principles s/he cannot see until they produce results in the tangible world of human perception. But as Christians, we don't believe the seen world is as real as the unseen world. The seen world is subject to death, disease, disaster, decay, disorder, and death. I don't know about you, but if it isn't any more permanent than that, it's not very real. I want something to hang on to. That requires I look past the seen to find my Father who is unseen. He is the one who guarantees the unseen!

Prayer:
Eternal Father and God of all peoples, help me see more clearly the spiritual, eternal, and real world of the unseen. I am not seeking novelty, nor am I on some quest for the bizarre. I only want to know you, your truth, and your character so I may more appropriately display them to others and help them come find you in the world of the unseen. Please grant me greater success at reaching others, to your glory. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun[fn]beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the[fn]water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes.”Revelation 7:16-17(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 23, 2015

Devotional:

O Israel, hope in theLORD;For with theLORDthere is lovingkindness, And with Him is abundant redemption.Psalm 130:7(NASB)

What do we have here that is unfailing and inexhaustible? Nothing except God's unfailing love. Even when we disappoint, hurt, offend, or rebel against him, he still loves us. While we were sinners he sent Jesus to redeem us from sin and death. Why trust anything or anyone else with our future? Let's lean on God's unfailing love!

Prayer:
Abba Father, loving God, I place my hopes, dreams, and future in your hands. I trust that you are at work for my eternal good. I believe that you alone offer freedom from all that enslaves me. Thank you for your forgiveness of my sins and your promise of life forever with you. But most of all, dear Father, thank you for your unfailing love. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Yet those who[fn]wait for theLORDWill gain new strength; They will[fn]mount upwill[fn]wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.Isaiah 40:31(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 24, 2015

Devotional:

“For the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan before you until you had crossed, just as the LORD your God had done to the[fn]Red Sea, which He dried up before us until we had crossed; Joshua 4:23-24(NASB)

God demonstrates his love to us because he is loving. God demonstrates his love to because he knows we would be lost without it. God demonstrates his love to us because he wants to show his power to the peoples of the world. God demonstrates his love for us because he wants us to know his awesome might to save. God demonstrates his love for us so we will deeply respect, honor, and revere him.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty God, I praise you for your majesty and might. I praise you for your love and your grace. I praise you with my heart full of thanks. I praise you with my head bowed low in reverence, to honor and glorify you, the only true and living God. May honor and glory and praise be yours in my heart and in my life as long as I live on this earth. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;andthat you, being rooted and grounded in love,Ephesians 3:16-17(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 26, 2015

Devotional:

[fn]Worship theLORDwith[fn]reverence And rejoice with trembling.[fn]Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish[fn]the way, For His wrath may[fn]soon be kindled. How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!Psalm 2:11-12(NASB)

The LORD is God. We must not take for granted his holiness and might. But the incredible reality of God's grace is this: God, who thundered at Mount Sinai and spoke into existence the universe with its marvelous expanse, loves us and longs for us to draw near and find refuge in him. We can rejoice in reverent awe. We can praise with holy fear. We can rest secured because our trust is not in what is human, what is temporary, and what is vulnerable. The LORD is our God!

Prayer:
Forgive me, Father, for the times that I have cheapened your grace with inappropriate speech and irresponsible behavior. You are God alone. You alone are worthy of praise. Thank you for not only being holy and mighty, but also being near and providing me a place of refuge and protection. Thank you, dear Father, for being God! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.Genesis1:27(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 27, 2015

Devotional:

For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants [fn]for Jesus’ sake.2 Corinthians 4:5 (NASB)

Our message is not ourselves. Jesus is Lord. One day all of creation will acknowledge and praise him. But for the people around us to praise Jesus today, they need to see him alive in us. We serve others in Jesus' name. We are his body — his hands of compassion, his heart of mercy, and his voice of tenderness. So let's lift up Jesus — not just by telling others about him, but serving others as his presence in the world.

Prayer:
God of grace, thank you for the privilege of sharing your love with others. Thank you for saving me FROM my sin. Thank you for saving me FOR service to bless others for Jesus' sake. In the name of Jesus, my Savior, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Psalm 139:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 28, 2015

Devotional

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.Galatians 5:6 (NASB)

What matters most? Priorities are key in our everyday lives if we are to be successful and productive. This is equally true in our discipleship. We want to concentrate on what is key, essential, and most important. Paul reminds us what is essential: Faith showing itself in loving actions. Faith that does not show itself in loving and helpful action is dead (Jamez 2). Jesus wants our faith to express itself in vibrant and loving service.

Prayer:
Almighty God, please forgive me for the times I have lost sight of what is essential and focused on what is peripheral. Please forgive me for the times when my interests and concerns were more important to me than loving service to others. Please give me eyes to see the people you would have me serve today so others may know Jesus' love. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised, And His greatness is unsearchable. Psalm 145:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 29, 2015

Devotional:

[fn]Your wives, your little ones, and your cattle shall remain in the land which Moses gave you beyond the Jordan, but you shall cross before your brothers in battle array, all your valiant warriors, and shall help them, until the LORD gives your brothers rest, as He giveyou, and they also possess the land which the LORD your God is giving them. Then you shall return to [fn]your own land, and possess [fn]that which Moses the servant of the LORD gave you beyond the Jordan toward the sunrise.”Joshua 1:14-15 (NASB)

I find it so easy to think of my needs and my safety first. I don't want to be selfish, but when it comes to making decisions about the investment of my time, it's so easy for me to see things only from MY perspective. But with God's people, it's a "we" and "us" perspective that is important, not a "me" and "mine" perspective. The Eastern tribes of Israel had reached their Promised Land. But they were not to quit the fight and settle there until all God's people were safely in their homeland. The same is true for us in God's Kingdom today. We are to look not only to our needs, but also to those of our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Prayer:
Loving Father, please give me a more gracious and generous heart so that I might better demonstrate your love to a struggling brother or sister in Christ today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Now all thesethings are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and [fn]e has [fn]committed to us the word of reconciliation.2 Corinthians 5:18-19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 30, 2015

Devotional:

Bedevoted to one another in brotherly love; [fn]give preference to one another in honor;Romans 12:10 (NASB)

We are to be devoted to one another. We are to honor one another. And the basis of this loving devotion and honor is found in one central truth: Because God is our Father, we are one family. We are siblings in God's Kingdom. Our relationship is eternal and built on God's grace to us and our grace expressed to each other.

Prayer:
Shepherd of my soul, thank you for making me part of your family. Thank you for the wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ who have blessed my life over the years. Thank you for their support and encouragement. Please use me to bless others in your family as these precious people have blessed and honored me. In the name of Jesus, your Son and my older brother, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the Apostle and High Priest of our confession;Hebrews 3:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
October 31, 2015

Devotional:

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.John 13:34 (NASB)

Wow, that's a tall order to fill isn't it! Jesus has just washed the feet of his disciples. Over the next few hours, Judas will betray him with a kiss, Peter will deny him three times, and the other 10 disciples will forsake and leave him to die alone. Yet he still washed their feet knowing they would do this. He still goes to the cross for them while knowing they will abandon him. I'm not sure that I can love like that... yet. However, with the Holy Spirit's help, I will make a renewed commitment to love others who have hurt and disappointed me. I will also seek to mend relationships where I have hurt and disappointed others.

Prayer:
Faithful Father, thank you for your never ending love. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit and pour love into my heart so I can love others as Jesus has loved me. I need your help to love those who have disappointed and hurt me. O God, I don't want my bitterness or resentment to keep someone from serving you and knowing Jesus' grace. In the name of my loving Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [fn]shifting shadow.James 1:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 2, 2015

Devotional

Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.2 Corinthians 4:16 (NASB)

While we joke about growing older, the challenges of aging are tough. We realize our mortality. Our bodies can betray us. We can't do what we once could do. As Christians, we know that our aging actually brings us closer to home and to the time when Jesus gives us immortal bodies not subject to decay. God can help us use these physical realities to be heavenly reminders of what is important. With the help of his Spirit, we can be transformed to be more like our Savior and to be more ready for our heavenly home!

Prayer
Almighty God, I confess that I like getting older less and less, the older I get. I am thankful, however, that each day older I get, the closer I am to coming home to you. Please help me not to become cynical, negative, or bitter as I grow older. Instead, please renew me and use me to bless others who need to find their way home to you. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
For all the gods of the peoples are [fn]idols, But the LORD made the heavens.Psalm 96:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 3, 2015

Devotional:

I can do all things [fn]through Him who strengthens me.Philippians 4:13 (NASB)

What's the basis of our happiness? If it's our outward circumstances, we're all in trouble because sooner or later, these aren't going to be too good. Paul said he had learned the secret to living above life's circumstances. That secret was Jesus Christ. Jesus was his assurance that no matter how things were here, he was not alone. No matter how difficult things might be, these problems were not permanent. No matter how hard life was at the time, Jesus would give him the strength to overcome them. Paul is just as sure that Jesus will do this for you and me!

Prayer:
God of glory and might, thank you for the stories of your great power in the Bible. They give me courage and hope when I face my problems. I believe Jesus can deliver me, sustain me, and uphold me through my difficulties today. Please forgive me for those times when I didn't turn to you and honestly talk to you about my struggles. O LORD, I need the strength, the comfort, and the presence of Christ today. In the name of my Savior Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.Romans 12:9 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 4, 2015

Devotional:

If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.Psalm 139:9-10 (NASB)

I guess for those who find themselves in places they shouldn't be, the abiding presence of God might be a bit terrifying. But I find great comfort in knowing that no matter where I go, from the moment of my conception to the day of my death, God is always there. He is there to guide me and sustain me. Even when I'm in places I am not supposed to be, doing things I am not supposed to do, he is still there. I can turn to him in repentance and receive his grace. I can turn to him in need and receive his strength. I can turn to him and know I am not alone.

Prayer:
Thank you, Father for loving me and personally knowing me. Thank you for the assurance that I won't have to face a day without you. Thank you for the comfort of knowing that I will never face my sorrows alone. Thank you for being the strength that sustains me when I don't have the strength to go on. Thank you that when tomorrow dawns, I will be with you no matter what happens during the night. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the [fn]agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held [fn]in its power.Acts 2:24 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 5, 2015

Devotional:

In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere [fn]man do to me?Psalm 56:4 (NASB)

When all is said and done, there really isn't a whole lot we can trust. Most of us have been hurt at one time or another by a friend who has betrayed our trust. The world economy is volatile and things can turn sour in just a few days. The weather shifts and changes by the hour. But in our world of change, in our heartbreak and disappointment, there is one constant. We can trust God. We don't have to fear change. He is our anchor that holds in the strongest storms. He is our strength in our worst battles. His word and his promises speak of good things for us. We don't have to be afraid, we can trust in him.

Prayer:
Almighty Father, my Deliverer and Strength, with your help and presence I will not fear the days ahead. I praise you for sustaining your people Israel through history. I praise you for preserving your Word, the Scriptures, through persecutions and purges. I praise you and will not be afraid because my life and my future are in your hands. In the name of Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Do not forsake her, and she will guard you; Love her, and she will watch over you.Proverbs 4:6 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 6, 2015

Devotional:

But[fn]we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the[fn]preserving of the soul.Hebrews10:39(NASB)

I love this description of God's people that precedes "the faith Hall of Fame" (Hebrews 11). When you look at God's people over the centuries, they are not a bunch of wimps, crybabies, and cowards. Yes, they do have their bad moments. But all in all, they are not those who quit on their quest. They are those whose faith has endured and found God's great victory of salvation. This verse excites me because the Holy Spirit does not say "we can be those who don't shrink back," instead he is confident in us, our endurance and our faithfulness. We're not "shrinkers," we're believers!

Prayer:
Thank you, Mighty God, for your confidence in me. With your help, I won't be a "shrinker." I will stand for your truth, your character, and your will even if those around me do not. I believe you have great things ahead for your people, so I refuse to shrink back. Please empower me with your Spirit so that I can more completely serve you with confidence and integrity. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Leave the presence of a fool, Or you will not[fn]discern[fn]words of knowledge.Proverbs14:7(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 7, 2015

Devotional:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear [fn]involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.1 John 4:18 (NASB)

While I approach God with reverence and awe because he is the holy and majestic God, I don't have to fear his presence. Because of Jesus and the Holy Spirit, I know God is my Abba Father. He longs for me to draw near him. He has shown me his heart by sending Jesus. He has shown me his love by having Jesus die for me. If he loves me that much, then I can trust that his desire is to save and bless me. I don't have to fear his presence or his judgment. As his child, his love has driven fear from my heart and replaced it with love from his abiding presence, the Holy Spirit.

Prayer:
Holy and Righteous Father, I thank you for your overwhelming love demonstrated to me in Jesus. I thank you for providing the atoning sacrifice for my sins and for adopting me into your family. Father, please cast all fear from my heart and help me walk confidently with you and for you, with character and purpose. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate.Proverbs 8:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 9, 2015

Devotional:

But He *said to them, “It is I; [fn]do not be afraid.” So they were willing to receive Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going.John 6:20-21 (NASB)

Jesus comes to his disciples to comfort them in their worst nightmare - a storm on the sea. He literally tells them, "I Am, do not be afraid." Two key things are here for us to notice. First, Jesus uses a name ("I Am") that identifies himself with God who delivered Moses and the Israelites from Egypt. Second, he uses a surprisingly frequent command found throughout the Bible: "Don't be afraid." When we are willing to invite Jesus into our lives during the middle of our storms and messes, he not only says, "I Am, don't be afraid!" but he also helps us find our way to our most important destination, ultimate deliverance.

Prayer:
O God, the great I Am, you redeemed Israel from Egypt, you won great victories for David, and you raised Jesus from the dead. I know you can deliver me from what may come my way. Please forgive me when I don't act with the boldness that is called for by this kind of faith and strengthen me to more confidently trust in your presence. In the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The reward of humility andthe [fn]fear of the LORD Are riches, honor and life.Proverbs 22:4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 10, 2015

Devotional:

“When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say;for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”Luke 12:11-12(NASB)

When we need help most, Jesus promises he will be there and will send his Spirit to give us the words we need. Throughout the centuries, this promise has sustained those facing persecution and ridicule. It helped them realize that they were not alone and that they didn't need to worry about having the perfect answer to everything going in to face a hostile audience. This same promise sustains Christians today whether they are under governmental persecution or facing the hostility of unbelievers in the workplace, at school, or at home. When facing our enemies, we know we are not alone; our Savior goes with us.

Prayer:
Loving God, I need your strength and the Holy Spirit's help as I speak with those who are opposed to your message of salvation. I want your words, not mine, to be what others hear in that crucial moment of confrontation. Please give me wisdom to know when to speak, what to say, and when to remain silent. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
By wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established;Proverbs24:3(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 11, 2015

Devotional:

and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. Therefore from now on we recognize no one[fn]according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ[fn]according to the flesh, yet now we knowHim in this wayno longer.2 Corinthians 5:15-16(NASB)

What motivates you to do what you do? What drives you to accomplish, to achieve, and to pursue even more? Paul said that love was his compelling force. What would happen in our lives if love was truly THE compelling factor in our motivation and behavior? What if our desire to love those who do not know Jesus' saving grace became our all-consuming concern out of love? He died so that it would be! Let's not disappoint him.

Prayer:
God of eternity, please be with me as I seek to allow love to be my primary compelling motivation in life. I want to show Jesus my love and appreciation for all that he has done to save me. I want to live for Jesus so others know he is Lord of my life. I want my words and life to show his love to others so they can truly experience it and come to know him. Please bless me as I pursue this goal. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness.Proverbs16:31(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 12, 2015

Devotional:

But Peter and John answered and said to them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge; for we cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard.”Acts 4:19-20(NASB)

We can't contain what we've experienced in Jesus. We can't help but tell about what we've heard. No ruler, no threat, has been able to completely stop the voice of God from being heard through his people's witness. Sharing our faith happens out of the overflow of our experiences in Christ and our relationship with Christ. When we share our faith in this way, the authenticity of our witness can be rejected or ridiculed, but it can't be erased. We have experienced God's work in our lives. How dare we keep silent? We can't!

Prayer:
God of the nations, please give your missionaries and ministers words of truth and power, especially as they face ridicule and hostility. Please help me better know how to reach the lost around me and please bless our evangelistic leaders as they try to strategize and discern your way of reaching the lost in our world today. In the name of Jesus, the atoning sacrifice for my sins, and the sins of the whole world, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Poverty and shamewill cometo him who neglects[fn]discipline, But he who regards reproof will be honored.Proverbs13:18(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 13, 2015

Devotional:

For thisfinds [fn]favor, if for the sake of conscience toward God a person bears up under sorrows when suffering unjustly.1 Peter2:19(NASB)

Unjust suffering! Ouch, even the sound of those words sends a chill up and down my spine. Such a thing doesn't seem fair or appropriate — and it probably isn't. Yet we have many brothers and sisters bearing up under pain and unjust suffering because of their commitment and loyalty to the only True God and to his Son, Jesus Christ. Wouldn't it be incredible if those of us who are not touched by terrible persecution or hardship would begin each day praying for those in our spiritual family who do face hardship, persecution, suffering, and mistreatment? As they display the grace of Christ in the face of such difficulty to honor God, let's pray that our Father will not only give them strength to endure, but that he will also deliver them soon!

Prayer:
Holy and merciful Father, please bless your children today who suffer pain and hardship while displaying the grace of Jesus. Whether these problems are because of persecution or because of life's difficulties, I pray that you strengthen my brothers and sisters who are suffering. But Father, I know the only permanent answer for this suffering is for Jesus' return, so please send him soon. In the name of the Coming Lord Jesus I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who withholds his[fn]rod hates his son, But he who loves him[fn]disciplines him diligently.Proverbs13:24(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
November 14, 2014

Devotional

And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and beganto speak the word of God with boldness.Acts 4:31 (NASB)

Prayer changes us. Prayer calls on God to change circumstances. Prayer is powerful. Prayer brings revival. Prayer transforms God's people and brings about salvation. Prayer makes us bold for the Lord. So why do we find it so hard to find time to pray?

Prayer:
Majestic God, please raise up prayer warriors who will help transform your church and who will battle Satan. Please fill your Church with the Holy Spirit and with boldness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
He who despises his neighbor sins, But happy is he who is gracious to the [fn]poor. Proverbs 14:21 (NASB)