Daily Devotion, Daily Wisdom

baddison

natural for good
December 21, 2015

Devotional:

Again Isaiah says, “THERE SHALL COME THE ROOT OF JESSE, AND HE WHO ARISES TO RULE OVER THE GENTILES, IN HIM SHALL THE GENTILES HOPE.”Romans 15:12(NASB)

When Jesus came, he did come to the nation of Israel, according to the promises made to God's people. He was a proper descendant of King David, the son of Jesse. His birth was prophesied by Jewish prophets and recorded in the Bible of the Israelite people. But no matter how Jewish his origins, Jesus came for all people in fulfillment of Old Testament promises that God would save all nations through Israel and the Jewish Messiah. While David brought Israel great power and notoriety as an awesome warrior and King, Jesus brought the reign of grace to the hearts of millions of Jews and non-Jews by conquering death and bringing true life.

Prayer:
Father, as this year draws to a close and ethnic and religious emotions are stirred around the world, please bless us with peace. Give us a deep sense of your love and presence. Shepherd us in your grace. At the same time, rekindle in our hearts your desire to bring all people together in peace through salvation in Jesus. Please bless your children throughout the world who are lovingly sharing your gospel to a culture other than their own. Bless them as they are apart from their families. Most of all, bless them with the joy of their desire — using them to lead someone to salvation during this holiday season. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.Matthew 5:8(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 22, 2015

Devotional:

Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good [fn]works, to be generous and ready to share, 1 Timothy 6:18(NASB)

Generosity is such a wonderful thing — not just to those on the receiving end, but also to those who are on the giving end. Those of us who can read this devotional on a computer via e-mail are rich by the world's standards, so this passage on being generous with our blessings is especially applicable. Let this giving-time of the year be God's opportunity to reawaken in us the need to be generous with our time, energy, and monetary blessings year round.

Prayer:
O loving God, you have been so generous with me and blessed me with so many incredible blessings. Thank you! Stir in my heart an awareness of the joy of giving. Make my heart more like your own, generous and gracious. Break down the anxiety and miserliness that sometimes cloud my vision and keep me from sharing my time, money, energy, and love as I should. Thank you for showing me how to be generous in Jesus. I pray this in the name of Jesus, my Savior and Lord. Amen.

Wisdom:
But He was [fn]pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities;
The chastening for our [fn]well-being forupon Him, And by His scourging we are healed. Isaiah 53:5(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 23, 2015

Devotional:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.John 1:1 (NASB)

God's Message of salvation was with him at creation. In fact, by nature, the one who was the Message was God himself. John wants us to know that Jesus, God's Word and ultimate Message, was with God from the very beginning. The one who turns water to wine, feeds the 5000, and raises Lazarus didn't make his human appearance on earth until he was born in Bethlehem, but he has always been there. He is God with us, as Matthew puts it (Matthew 1:23). He is God come to visit us as Luke tells us (Luke 7:16). He is the Son of God as Mark reminds (Mark 1:1). He is God's ultimate and final Word (Hebrews 1:1-2)!

Prayer:
Father, help me better know your Message, both in print and in life. Please teach me more about Jesus and his heart for people and his love for you. May he be my Lord in word, deed, and motivation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore from now on we recognize no one [fn]according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ [fn]according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this wayno longer.2 Corinthians 5:16 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 24, 2015

Devotional:

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His [fn]only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.. John 3:16 (NASB)

God wants us to have life! Real life. Life that lasts forever with him! That's why he sent Jesus, so we could have life. That is why Jesus left him and came to earth. That is why Jesus endured the Cross and its humiliation. That's why Jesus rose from the dead. God loves us with an everlasting love in Jesus! What other Christmas gift can compare? "O come, let us adore him!"

Prayer:
Of all your gifts, loving Father, none can compare to Jesus. You are worthy of praise simply because of who you are. You are worthy of honor because of all that you have done. You are worthy of praise because of your mighty acts. Most of all, you are worthy of my heart, soul, mind, and strength because of your love demonstrated in Jesus. Thank you for the greatest gift of all! In Jesus' name I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth.Proverbs 27:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 25, 2015

Devotional:

And the Word became flesh, and [fn]dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of [fn]he only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.John 1:14 (NASB)

God's message wasn't content to stay confined to a book, a prophecy, or a scroll. Praise God! This Message, this Word, took on flesh and blood and bones! Praise God Almighty! This Message, this Word, didn't remain far off, distantly holy and unapproachable. Praise the LORD, God of Israel! He came to us in human flesh, bringing us love, hope, redemption, mercy, salvation, joy...

Prayer:
Almighty God, I praise and exalt your name above all names. Your love is greater than the volume of all of our oceans. Your mercy stretches farther than the great expanses of our known space. Your grace is beyond calculation. Your salvation is marvelous beyond compare. Thank you for blessing me with all of these in Jesus, who came and lived in my world so I can make my home in yours. In the name of Christ the Lord, I praise you. Amen.

Wisdom:
My help comesfrom the LORD,Who made heaven and earth.He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel, Will neither slumber nor sleep.Psalm 121:2-4 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 26, 2015

Devotional:

“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.John 3:17 (NASB)

God is not about condemnation. I know that Satan got the rumor started a long time ago, but don't believe it. He is not some fiendish teacher looking to flunk and embarrass his/her students. He is not some cantankerous judge looking to shame, humiliate, and punish all who interlope into his/her court, innocent or not. He is not some gossip spreading rumors about our shortcomings across the neighborhoods of heaven. No, this God wants to bless us with his salvation. He wants to dispense mercy and grace. He wants us to be his children. Yet he is also holy, righteous, awesome, and just. So when these two realities of God collide, there is only one solution: Jesus! God sent Jesus to save people of all nations and races and cultures from sin and death — yes, even us!

Prayer:
I praise you, O God, for your desire to save me. I thank you for demanding holiness from me to save me from the havoc sin causes in my life. I thank you for calling me to righteousness, so that my life will be a blessing to others and not a burden. I thank you for challenging me to have your character, so that others can see your glory in my good deeds. So please use me, Father. I know I am flawed, but I want to be one of your tools letting the lost know about your mercy and grace in Jesus. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD. And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 28, 2015

Devotional:

Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past, but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leadingto obedience of faith; to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, be the glory forever. Amen.Romans 16:25-27(NASB)

God doesn't just bless us. He establishes us! He makes us strong! He matures us into solid and true disciples. He does this in many ways. One of the most important, however, is through the words the Holy Spirit inspired and shared with us through Jesus' early disciples. As this year moves towards its close and another stands at the door, let's make a renewed commitment to spend time each day in the Bible. Let's not let this powerful tool and great resource for living be relegated to being a coffee-table book or a good luck charm to take with us to church.

Prayer:
I thank you, O God, for your Spirit that breathed out your message through human agents. I thank you for those human partners who shared the Spirit's message with us in Scripture. I thank you for the many fine translations of the Bible that are available to us today. I thank you for the freedom to have a copy of the Bible in my home. Please help me not squander the incredible blessing of your written word. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“For [fn]I hate [fn]divorce,” says the LORD, the God of Israel, “and [fn]him who covers his garment with [fn]wrong,” says the LORD of hosts. “So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously.”Malachi 2:16(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 29, 2015

Devotional:

For where jealousy and [fn]elfish ambition exist, [fn]there is disorder and every evil thing.James 3:16(NASB)

So, what are your goals and plans for the New Year? Do you have great dreams and laudable goals? I hope so. But, please join me as I seriously look at why I set the goals I do and make the plans I make. In the afterglow of Christmas, that great season of giving, let's make sure our plans for the future are not selfish or based on jealousy, lust, or greed. Instead, let's set our hearts to reach great heights for God's glory and to do great things to be a blessing to others. Otherwise, all our attempts to reach great things ultimately will end in chaos, heartbreak, and destruction.

Prayer:
Eternal God, please be with me as I seek to set goals for the coming year. I want to do great things for your glory. Please use me to accomplish your will in the world in which I live and in the group of people to whom you have sent me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
And the Word became flesh, and [fn]dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of [fn]the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.John 1:14(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
December 30, 2015

Devotional:

“I am the LORD, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another, Nor My praise to [fn]graven images. “Behold, the former things have come to pass, Now I declare new things; Before they spring forth I proclaim themto you.” Isaiah 42:8-9(NASB)

No matter what happens over the next few days, months, or years, God is already there! He is not bound by space and time. He creates reality by his powerful word. While some may tremble with fear because of the unknown, Christians can take comfort in knowing that wherever we find ourselves, our Father is already there. He is already working on our deliverance and salvation. Even now he is declaring new things for us — things about our future that we cannot see. So as we journey into our unknown future, let's make sure we journey with the one to whom the future is not unknown.

Prayer:
Thank you Father! You know where my life and my world are headed. With so much tumult about the changing of the year and the passing of time, I consciously and confidently trust that my future is in your hands. There is no other place I would rather it be! Please bless me with confidence and banish anxiety from my heart as your future unfolds before me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Matthew 5:9(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 1, 2016

Devotional:

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who [fn]is to come, the Almighty.” Revelation 1:8 (NASB)

From beginning to end, our God is there! What is there for us to fear? What can happen that can change this one undeniable reality? We belong to the God who is always there, who always cares for us, and who will always work to bring us salvation! No matter what happens to us tomorrow, or the next day, or the one after that, our destiny lies with the God who stretches from beginning to end and who secures for us life that never ends.

Prayer:
Father God, thank you for the blessings of this past year. Please guide me as I seek to use your blessings in the coming year. Inspire my confidence about your future for me and fill me with joy because of your salvation. For all that has been good, holy, and gracious, I give you thanks and praise. For all the ways I've sinned, failed, or stumbled, I ask for your forgiveness. And for tomorrow, and another new day and another new year, I await with anticipation and gladness for I know that I will see them come or I will be at home with you where days and years no longer matter. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT.”Romans 4:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 2, 2016

Devotional:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.Genesis 1:1 (NASB)

We are creatures of the earth. Yes, we are much more than that, but occasionally we need to be reminded of that! We can't truly understand existence before time, yet before the beginning of time as we know it, God existed — he has revealed himself as "I Am," the one who was and who is and who is to come. Before there was an ordered universe to provide the basis of our existence, God is "I Am." He had existence before, beyond, and without our created universe. We can't even truly comprehend this in its entirety. That's why every new beginning — whether it is a day, a week, a year, or a millennium — should begin with God. He alone is the ultimate Genesis, our beginning.

Prayer:
Almighty Creator and God of all of the universe, I praise you for your incomparable power and your incomprehensible glory. As I begin this new year, I know that my future rests in your will, your grace, and your salvation. Please go with me as I journey toward this future. Please be glorified in the way I live my life today, this year, and for as long as you give me earthly life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
n the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [fn]He was in the beginning with God.John 1:1-2 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 4, 2016

Devotional:

[fn]He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. John 1:2-3 (NASB)

Jesus was there. He was with God in the beginning. But he was more than just a witness of Creation; he created it! Jesus, who allowed himself to be limited to human flesh and to die a cruel and agonizing death on the Cross, was there at the beginning as the Word speaking our world into existence. He made it. It is his. Yet he came and died to redeem it. More specifically, he came to redeem you and me. So when the Word speaks to us telling us how to live to please God, don't you think we'd better pay attention? Better yet, don't you think we ought to do it?

Prayer:
Holy Father, your plan to save me overwhelms and humbles me. That you would send Jesus, the Word who created the world that I know, is more wonderful than I can fully grasp. That he would allow himself to be limited to the world he had made boggles my imagination. That he would die for me so that I can live with you captures my heart! Please help me as I seek to live my life based on his teachings and your will. In the name of Jesus, the Living Word, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, [fn]prepare your minds for action, [fn]keep sober in spiritfix your hope completely on the grace [fn]to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:13 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 5, 2015

Devotional:

always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your [fn]participation in the gospel from the first day until now. Philippians 1:4-5 (NASB)

As we begin this new year, let's remember those with whom we are partnered in mission and outreach. If we are evangelists or missionaries by calling, then let's make a commitment to pray a prayer of praise and thanksgiving for our supporting partners. If we are members of a supporting congregation, then let's give thanks for being able to support those who share the Gospel in foreign lands and those who work among different cultures and in different locations in our own country. To share in God's work with God's people is truly a great blessing and privilege!

Prayer:
Father of all peoples, give your Church a greater sense of partnership in reaching those who do not know your saving grace. Bless those everywhere who share the truth of Jesus with love, courage, and faithfulness. In the name of the only true Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“You shall walk in all the way which the LORD your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong youthdays in the land which you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:33 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 6, 2016

Devotional:

“For we are onlyof yesterday and know nothing, Because our days on earth are as a shadow. Job 8:9 (NASB)

While Job never learned why he suffered, he did learn his place in the universe before the Almighty God (Job 38-41). When we are young, time passes so very slowly — especially if we are waiting for something special! But as we get older, the years fly by more and more quickly. Yet despite all our learning, despite all our experience, we come to two great awakenings: our knowledge compared to what there is to know is so very small and our place in the passage of time is so very short. Both of these awakenings prepare us to turn our lives and future over to our God who longs to bring us to himself.

Prayer:
Holy and Almighty God, my Abba Father, thank you so much for your overwhelming patience as you try to communicate your love to people like me with my limited abilities to comprehend your magnificence and glory. Please give me wisdom this week, to make the decisions I need to make and to choose your way and not my own. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. 2 Corinthians 7:1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 7, 2016

Devotional:

but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7 (NASB)

As we draw near to the Lord and live for him, two amazing blessings come our way. First, we find that our sins are forgiven and we're cleansed of those sins thanks to the loving sacrifice of Jesus. Second, we find that we are not alone in this wonderful cleansing. True fellowship among believers is built when folks seeking the Lord find each other in his presence. This fellowship isn't forced or contrived, just heavenly.

Prayer:
Almighty and holy God, I want to honor Jesus' sacrificial death by living a life that is pure, honorable, and holy. Thank you for providing my cleansing through Jesus' blood and leading me to others who live for you. Please intensify my hunger to know you, your Son, and other believers more. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Yet those who [fn]wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will [fn]mount up with [fn]wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. Isaiah 40:31 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 11, 2016

Devotional:

and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will [fn]behave properly toward outsiders and [fn]not be in any need. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 (NASB)

What's your ambition? I don't know about you, but I'm not so sure I could say my ambition is to "live a quiet life ...." But when I hear the reason for that directive, I understand. So many people I meet are frazzled, run down, and exhausted with all their "busy-ness." So let's make a commitment to cycle down a little, trust God more and more each day, and seek to live a life that wins the respect of those around us!

Prayer:
O precious and righteous Father, I need your help to learn to slow down and tend to my own responsibilities instead of running around out of control and without purpose. Please grant me not only the wisdom that I have been praying for, but also the patience and quietude that I need for that wisdom to change my heart and mind. In Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

Wisdom:
More than that, I count all things to be loss [fn]in view of the surpassing value of [fn]knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, [fn]for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, Philippians 3:8 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 12, 2016

Devotional:

Let no one seek his own good, but that of his [fn]neighbor. 1 Corinthians 10:24 (NASB)

Isn't it amazing how the more we try to fix things for ourselves, the more we focus on "looking out for number 1," and the more we also find ourselves isolated from meaningful relationships that make life worth living. "If you want to have a friend, then be a friend," the saying goes. You know what? It's right! It's easy to seek what is only for our own good. That's what most folks do as a matter of course. But what makes Christians redemptive, what makes them like God, is their willingness to think of others before themselves!

Prayer:
Father, forgive me, because I know that I am often selfish and seldom think through the implications of my decisions based on the needs of others. I want to have the mind of Christ and be more selfless and sacrificial with everyone who needs your grace and the tenderness that you have placed within me to share with them. Please bless me as I seek to be like your Son in this area of my life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wisdom:
“You are the light of the world. A city set on a [fn]hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyonelight a lamp and put it under a [fn]basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:14-1 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 13, 2016

Devotional:

And without faith it is impossible to please Himfor he who comes to God must believe that He is and thatHe is a rewarder of those who seek Him. Hebrews 11:6 (NASB)

Our relationship with God is built on the atoning sacrifice of Jesus and our acceptance of that sacrifice through obedient faith. That faith trusts that God not only exists, but that he also personally cares about us and our desire to know him. He eagerly longs to bless those who seek him. What we find when we seek him, however, is that all other blessings pale in comparison to knowing, and being known by the eternal, immortal, and only true God!

Prayer:
Holy God, I do seek to know you better. Please make your presence known more powerfully in my life and in the life of your Church. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven [fn]you. Ephesians 4:32 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 14, 2016

Devotional:

[fn]fixing our eyes on Jesus, the [fn]author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2(NASB)

Who is your hero? I'm not asking for the Sunday school class answer, but the person you most actively admire! It is hard to "fix our eyes on Jesus" because he is not here where we can see him like other heroes. But he was the ultimate adventurer and trailblazer. He faced the horrific penalty and shame of the cross, taking away our sin! He did it so that we could have a hero that death and sin could not destroy, mar, or taint. He did it so that we could be confident that if we follow in his footsteps, the trail he blazed wasn't just for him, but for us, too!

Prayer:
Holy God, forgive me when I chase what is false and let my focus shift from Jesus as my ultimate hero. I want to honor and serve him, having his life come alive in me, so that others may know the confidence that comes in having Jesus as their Lord. Words cannot express my gratitude to my Lord for his sacrifice and the horrible price he paid for my sins. Neither can words express my jubilation at his trailblazing victory that assures that I will someday be with you forever! It is in his name, Jesus Christ, that I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.” [fn]Yet you do not know [fn]what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. [fn]Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that.”James 4:13-15(NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 15, 2016

Devotional:

who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS: to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; Romans 2:6-7 (NASB)

God not only seeks after us, he desires relationship with us — i.e., he longs for us to seek after him and after matters that are important to him. When we persistently seek his glory and honor by doing good, when we seek after eternal rather than temporal things, he is overjoyed to give us what he has always designed for us: eternal life with him. In other words, the seeking God is always looking for those seeking him!

Prayer:
Abba Father, I thank you for loving me when I was lost and in sin. I thank you for not just loving me, but also seeking me by sending Jesus. Thank you for your justice that you met with your grace in your Son Jesus. I confess that I at times get distracted and upset with things that don't really matter very much. Please bless me as I seek to discipline my heart and focus my desires on eternal things. As I seek your glory and honor in the way I conduct my life, it is reassuring that your desire to bless me with eternal life is even greater still. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and [fn]heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.Revelation 1:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 16, 2016

Devotional:

“I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. John 5:30 (NASB)

"So who you tryin' to please, anyway?" These words of my mom still ring in my ears. Her point? There are only two we MUST please: (1) our Father in heaven, because all praise and honor is due to him, and (2) ourselves, because we want to know that we've done the best we could do and been the best we could be. But I guess I've learned over the years that I can't begin to do the second of those very well without seeking the first one. Don't you hope that someday you reach the place where you can join Jesus in saying with absolute assurance: "I seek not to please myself but him who sent me!" The closer we approach that reality, the more we realize that we can't do anything of eternal significance on our own. Only when we live to honor God do we find the significance and have the impact that our lives were made to have.

Prayer:
Almighty and Righteous Father, I know that without you I can do nothing that is of lasting significance. I have tried my own way and failed. I have sought my own good and seen my success short-lived. I want to live now, today and the rest of my life to please you. As I do this, I am confident that you will provide what I need and that you will empower me to do what you would have me do. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

Wisdom:
But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but [fn]your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment. James 5:12 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 18,2016

Devotional:

Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11 (NASB)

After restoring the presence of God to his people through the Ark of the Covenant, David and Asaph gave them these verses as a song to perpetually remind them of the importance of seeking God because ... our strength is found in him ... our grace is from his loving presence ... and our hope is in seeing him face to face and knowing him even as we are known by him. We must look to the Lord and not seek our own way or follow our own path.

Prayer:
O Lord, I know you created me uniquely as you fashioned me in my mother's womb. Yet I know I can never have the freedom or creativity in my life that you long for me to discover, unless I first seek you and your strength. Please bless me with the assurance of your nearness as I seek you with all of my heart and use my abilities in creative ways to bring you glory. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,”Hebrews 13:5 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 19, 2016

Devotional:

For thus says the LORD to the house of Israel, “Seek Me that you may live. “But do not [fn]resort to Bethel And do not come to Gilgal, Nor cross over to Beersheba; For Gilgal will certainly go into captivity And Bethel will [fn]come to trouble. Amos 5:4-5 (NASB)

Do you "go to church"? I hope not! Now don't get me wrong; I'm not advocating you skip worship and fellowship this Sunday! We're told not to forsake gathering together as believers (Hebrews 10:25). But when we assemble as a body of believers, we're gathering together for encouragement and meeting with God. We're not GOING to church; we ARE the church! (The New Testament never used the word church to refer to a building!) God warned his people in Old Testament times that simply going to the places of worship was worthless. Instead, they needed to seek him! I believe that is exactly what God would have us do. And as we seek him together, we get to share fellowship, comfort, and encouragement with each other.

Prayer:
Holy and loving Father, as I face the struggles of this week, it is comforting to know that I am never away from your love. At the same time, I love those special moments when I meet with other Christians and your presence is powerful and real. I know you are always with us when we gather together, but sometimes my heart or my circumstance or the situations going on in our church family derail my awareness of your presence. This week, dear Father, I pray for our worship assembly to be vibrant and powerful. I pray for your presence to be palpably near. I pray that you will be honored by what my brothers and sisters and I do to encourage each other and praise you. Please use this day to draw us near to you. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Truthful lips will be established forever, But a lying tongue is only for a moment. Proverbs 12:19 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 20, 2016

Devotional:

You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 1 Thessalonians 1:6 (NASB)

We find it so easy to let our circumstances determine our moods. Paul reminds this group of new Christians under attack that their new life in Christ had brought them joy despite the outwardly harsh circumstances they were facing. Their joy was not the fleeting, circumstance-determined veneer. Instead, they had welcomed the powerful message of salvation with joy! This joy was not dependent upon their circumstances. It was rooted in their Savior's example, in his abiding presence through the Holy Spirit, and the salvation available through Jesus.

Prayer:
Dear heavenly Father, please make my joy immune to outward circumstances and please empower that joy by your Holy Spirit. Please bless me as I seek to conform my life and attitude to the example of my Savior. Please help me become a better example of spiritual joy to those around me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
“They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun [fn]beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the [fn]water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes.” Revelation 7:16-17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 21, 2016

Devotional:

Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another. Ephesians 4:25 (NASB)

The goal in Christian communication is not just clarity. Neither is the goal just to be understood. The goal is not even just to be truthful. The goal is to be appropriate, encouraging, and uplifting to others based on the needs of that other person.

Prayer:
Tender Shepherd, give me a heart that is pure so that my words may be pure. Give me a heart that is kind so that my words may be kind. Give me a heart that is full of joy and encouragement so that I may share these with those you bring to my path and with whom I share conversation. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
The world is passing away, and alsoits lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever. 1 John 2:17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 22, 2016

Devotional:

that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; Act 17:27 (NASB)

Our seeking God longs to be sought! God placed his fingerprints all over the universe and then gave us places to find life and meaning. He had a purpose in this plan: he wanted us to seek the One behind it all. He is never far away from us, but he longs to be sought and found. When we seek after God, we are not only blessing him, we're also living out our life's key task.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I long to know you more completely — as the old hymn says to Jesus: "Beyond the sacred page, I seek thee Lord. My spirit pants for thee O living Word." Loving Father, I ask that your presence would be recognizable in my daily life. I truly want to get to know you, even as I am known by you. In the name of the Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things? For we are not like many, [fn]peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God. 2 Corinthians 2:16-17 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 23, 2016

Devotional:

Restore us to You, O LORD, that we may be restored; Renew our days as of old, Lamentations 5:21 (NASB)

When these words were first spoken, they focused on God's restoration of Israel back to its place, its prominence, its life, and its Temple. Yet from our vantage point, this prayer can be ours as well. Restoration can mean Christ's return which brings us home to God. On that day, every barrier standing between God and us will fall. Our mortality will be swallowed up in victory. We will see God face to face and get to walk with him in the cool of the day as his perfect children. May that day come soon!

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, I long to know you more completely — as the old hymn says to Jesus: "Beyond the sacred page, I seek thee Lord. My spirit pants for thee O living Word." Loving Father, I ask that your presence would be recognizable in my daily life. I truly want to get to know you, even as I am known by you. In the name of the Savior I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
Blessed are the [fn]poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 25, 2015

Devotional:

“And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the [fn]world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. Matthew 13:22 (NASB)

All sorts of things can distract us from Kingdom matters. The wear and tear of everyday life can make it hard to keep our spiritual focus. But in an affluent society, our desire for riches, our pursuit of material things, and our selfishness with wealth can entangle us in worry. Worry can stifle our faith. Eventually the fruitfulness of the Gospel is choked out and we lose our spiritual vitality. Our greatest riches are found in Jesus. If he is our priceless treasure and the Kingdom is our highest priority, then we can handle the other things that come our way.

Prayer:
Gracious Father, please help me to faithfully use the blessings you have lavishly poured out upon me. Please don't let me be deceived or owned by the things I possess, nor do I want to covet what I do not have. Give me an undivided heart about the matters of your Kingdom. Please bring to life in me the fruitfulness of a heart full of your grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
How blessed are the people who are so situated; How blessed are the people whose God is the LORD!Psalm 144:15 (NASB)

baddison

natural for good
January 26, 2016

Devotional:

Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of Your name; And deliver us and [fn]forgive our sins for Your name’s sake. Psalm 79:9 (NASB)

We don't deserve the grace we need! We have no right to presume God's forgiveness! We have no reason to expect divine deliverance! But in Jesus, God has shown us his incredible love and generosity. We can confidently call out for his mercy and receive his grace, forgiveness, and deliverance — not because we deserve it, but because of who he is and for the sake of his glorious name.

Prayer:
Holy and awesome God, I need your grace and forgiveness. I need your deliverance from the tempter's snare. Without your power and mercy, I will surely fail. May the grace you extend to me bring you praise. May the forgiveness you lavish on me bring others to honor you. May your deliverance of me from the tempter's snare bring glory to your name. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Wisdom:
[fn]Ask, and it will be given to you; [fn]seek, and you will find [fn]knock, and it will be opened to you. “For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8 (NASB)