Daily Moisturizing and Oiling Routines

pinayprincess

Hi ladies!

I just finished putting NTM Silk Touch Leave In and ORS Olive Oil mixed with Amla into my hair. I am going to bun it up, scarf it, and wrap it for my food services job on campus in a few hours. While I was doing my hair, I was wondering how YOU ladies go about your moisturizing/oiling routines. Would you mind posting your routines and being very specific for us newbies who aren't so sure how to do it? For instance, do you part your hair in sections and apply your leave-in, or do you just cake it on top and comb through? Do you finger-comb your leave in through, or rub it on your hands and coat the strands with it?

I know that since my hair is natural, I need to always be gentle with it because every time I touch my hair, a few strands are pulled out. How do you handle your hair gently enough to where you don't pull strands out?

Thanks for the input! Also, be sure to post your moisturizer and oils' (type and brand) because I know different moisturizers have different consistencies, and most of us share the same leave-ins!

Thanks!

Ranika

tryingto

one newbie to another, I part into 8 sections and apply moisture, then go back and apply oil, I like to give it a minute to absorb into the hair, HTH

gymfreak336

I part my hair in four sections and run really light on on my scalp in each section. Then I use either coconut oil, jane carter nourish n shine or bb castor oil lotion and apply it to each section lightly combing it through with my hand or a shower comb.

jamiette

I'd like to hear more responses as well. I'd also like to know what is Amla? I have been reading alot about it on the board.

angelita842002

I cowash everyday or other day I apply infusium 23 by spraying it all over my hair especially the ends then i comb through and let it dry a little. I then apply my creamy leave in/moisturizer(ntm, profectiv, or garnier fructis, or sunsilk. I only use one of these) on my hands rub it then put it on my hair. I seperate and apply my leave in in four sections from root to tip especially saturating my ends then I comb through again. My hair is already detangled from the cowash so no hair comes out from combing. Then i apply oil(evoo,africas best) in the same four sections especially the ends and combe through again then i bun it up. I am very carefull pasing the comb and dont rub my hair hard when putting in the moisturizer or oil.

CoCoGirl821

gymfreak336 said:
I part my hair in four sections and run really light on on my scalp in each section. Then I use either coconut oil, jane carter nourish n shine or bb castor oil lotion and apply it to each section lightly combing it through with my hand or a shower comb.

Did you purchase coconut oil from a BSS or online?

CoCoGirl821

angelita842002 said:
I cowash everyday or other day I apply infusium 23 by spraying it all over my hair especially the ends then i comb through and let it dry a little. I then apply my creamy leave in/moisturizer(ntm, profectiv, or garnier fructis, or sunsilk. I only use one of these) on my hands rub it then put it on my hair. I seperate and apply my leave in in four sections from root to tip especially saturating my ends then I comb through again. My hair is already detangled from the cowash so no hair comes out from combing. Then i apply oil(evoo,africas best) in the same four sections especially the ends and combe through again then i bun it up. I am very carefull pasing the comb and dont rub my hair hard when putting in the moisturizer or oil.

Thanks...I am going to try this minus the bunning...(my hair is long enough:() Although I do someting similar to your method, I just need a better creamy leave in (not really digging the one I have) and the infusium 23.

angelita842002

I love the infusium bc i get no breakage so i use it diluted with a little bit of water every single time i wash. My hair loves creamy leave ins bc i use them as a moisturizer. So im always looking for them but the ones i stated have really been working for my hair and they all smell GREAT. My hair is moisturized and not greasy or heavy.

Royal Glory

In the morning, I spray 4-5 sprays of Ojon Revitalizing Mist (leave-in) on my hair and run my fingers through my hair to mix it throughout. Then I apply a little sweet almond oil (SAO) or coconut oil (or Ojon Glossing Cream or Matrix Biolage Glossing serum) to my hands, rub it in and fluff and/or scrunch my hair. I apply more if I am wearing my hair up, less if I am wearing it down.

In the evening, depending on what my hair needs, I spray on the revitalizing mist, apply some Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) silk leave-in to my hands and apply it to my strands. Then as I roll each piece, I apply a little oil/leave-in mix to each roller section of ends.

Royal Glory

pinayprincess said:
the NTM doesn't make your hair revert, Royal Glory??

I am only putting a little dab on the very ends before I roll it. So it adds the moisture it needs and, at the same time, the moisture makes the curl set better.

Also the Ojon Revitalizing Mist which is mostly water, dries so fast and I quickly run my fingers though it. No reversion there either.

angelita842002

Yep everytime I cowash. I use a spray bottle and spray maybe im guessin here 5/6 sprays on both sides of my hair. Alot comes out though. I guess since i cowash alot the protein in infusium is balancing with my moisture? so my hair doesnt get any bad affects. (I DO add WATER to the spray bottle).

preciousjewel76

I'm still tweaking my routine, but this is what I'm currently doing, twice a day:

-Spray my homemade moisture spritz (Elucence condish, distilled water, glycerin, almond oil) directly onto hair; or spray in palms and finger comb through hair strands and roots.

-Seal with a bit more almond oil or jojoba if I want a little more sheen.

I was messing around the other day and used some Suave Humectant condish (undiluted) as a leave in, and sealed with jojoba oil. I really liked the way my hair felt with this. So I've been alternating this technique with my moisturizing spray for the last couple of days.

2-3 times per week, I part my hair in sections and apply a bit of Qhemet's Amla Oil pomade to my scalp and new growth and massage in.

HoneyDew

I use Loreal Vive Anti-frizz leave in or Garnier Sleek & Shine leave in.

On the 1st day after cleansing and conditioning, most times I just put Kemi Oyl on and tie my hair up because my hair is pretty moisturized and soft.

On the 2nd day following, I part my hair into sections as I moisturize with the leave in, concentrating on the ends. I follow that with the oil or a serum, depending on how I feel. Then I tie my hair up.

On the 3rd day, most times I shampoo and condition again. If not, I don't normally need anything, but I may put some leave-in on my ends and a serum for shine. Then I tie my hair up.

On the 4th day, if I have not shampoo and conditioned, I just have to by this time because my hair most times is screaming for some water. :) Then it all starts over again. :)

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

Sorry for the repeat post - technical error!

I'm still tweaking my routine, but this is what I'm currently doing, twice a day:

-Spray my homemade moisture spritz (Elucence condish, distilled water, glycerin, almond oil) directly onto hair; or spray in palms and finger comb through hair strands and roots. I only use 2-3 sprays worth of this mixture and I really focus on my ends.

-Seal with a bit more almond oil or jojoba if I want a little more sheen. I use just enough oil to coat my palms and sort of "fluff" it through my hair.

I was messing around the other day and used some Suave Humectant condish (undiluted) as a leave in, and sealed with jojoba oil. I really liked the way my hair felt with this. So I've been alternating this technique with my moisturizing spray for the last couple of days.

Side note: 2-3 times per week, I part my hair in sections and apply a bit of Qhemet's Amla Oil pomade to my scalp and new growth and massage in.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
angelita842002 said:
Yep everytime I cowash. I use a spray bottle and spray maybe im guessin here 5/6 sprays on both sides of my hair. Alot comes out though. I guess since i cowash alot the protein in infusium is balancing with my moisture? so my hair doesnt get any bad affects. (I DO add WATER to the spray bottle).
Angelita, which Infusium 23 do you use??? I see so many different types of Infusium 23 bottles... I never know which one to try.

angelita842002

The old original formula in the brown and white bottle. I think it says for dry/damaged hair. They have new formulas out but sallys still sells the old one and thats the one i use.

LocksOfLuV

Moisturizer-
Suave Milk N Honey, I like the runny consistency since it allows me to moisturize my situation without pulling out my sexy (loosing hair)

What I do-
1. apply a big glob to the palm of my hand
2. dip my first three fingers (thumb, pointer, and middle) into the glob, until the tips are covered with moisturizer, and then rub them together
3. finger part my hair (starting on the right) and rub the hair starting with the newgrowth, and gently pull down
4. finger part (extremely gently) to the next portion and repeat-dipping hand in moisturizing glob in all

Applying the Oil (Coconut, Vatika, or Kemi)-
1. after all of that is finished I rake my hair with a rattail comb to get it back into the ponytail position
2. apply a lot of oil to my palms and rub them together vigurously (especially if I am using a conconut oil to help melt it)
3. apply oil to the outside of the ponytail-never to all the hair, too much time and manipulation
4. make the ponytail
5. add extra conditioner to the ends
6. add extra oil to the ends
7. add oil and conditioner to the baggie
8. baggie and apply bun cover

Damn I'm tired just typing this!

HoneyDew

LocksOfLuV said:
Moisturizer-
Suave Milk N Honey, I like the runny consistency since it allows me to moisturize my situation without pulling out my sexy (loosing hair)

:) :) :) :) :)

LocksOfLuV

preciousjewel76 said:
I know...everytime I hear that quote, I start to chuckle. Lawdhamercy, I am so easily amused.:lol:

:lachen: Unfortunately it is now part of my vocabulary, even in real life. My friends think I am so lame.:lachen:

Isis

Since I wash every 3 or 4 times per week, my hair stays very, very moisturized. I now add a little serum to my hair before leaving the house. I have used NTM Silk leave-in on my newgrowth followed by wearing a satin scarf during the last weeks of my stretch and if my hair feels dry, I'll put a little Humectress in my hand, rub together and apply to all of my hair. No parting or anything like that. I do moisturize my ends twice daily with Constant Care for Ends.

blackbarbie

I use NTM Silk Therapy to moisturize and at the end of today (like today), my hair was really tangled from the wind blowing, etc, so I put some in the palm of my hands and fingered throughout my hair, even I had to end up going back and doing 4 sections and concentrating on each section. (my hair felt dry as a bone).....I use my fingers b/c raking a comb through my very dry hair would have probably caused a lot of snap, crackling and pops!

I also was sure to moisturize the ends very well too. I followed up with the Profectiv for ends and applied this only to my ends. (I am not sure if I even need this step, but I am trying to give this stuff a chance since so many are raving about it; besides, I just got freshly clipped ends and want to preserve them)

Then I use a tad bit of jojoba oil to seal only the ends and just gloss over the top surface of the hair......wrap, then tie with silk scarf.

I put just a tad more on NTM on in the morning too.

amy1234

Through out the day (twice) , I distrbute my moisturizer through out my hair (about a quarter size each time). I use Lady Velvet Silky touch with mink oil :up: .

TowsonGirl

I pincurl my hair every nite, and before I do, I moisturize and oil my hair. I divide my hair in 11 sections (6 in front, 5 in back) and lightly go apply s-curl to each section concentrating on the ends. I then go over that with Surge Lotion Motion 9, also concentrating on the ends. I dont use too much or my hair will be a wet mess, just enuf to do the job. Then I pincurl, tie with a satin scarf, and call it a nite! :)